Carnival says no early saver deal for me.

Last Salmon Man

Okay... kind of a complicated scenario, but please tell me if I am absolutely crazy. A couple years ago, carnival gave us a 15% off any future cruise we booked with them. We found a cruise, and booked on early saver a couple of months ago. Cruise rate was $3376 before taxes. Carnival applied our 15% off, dropping our total before taxes to $2,870.

Now I find that the the current rate for the same cabin is $3,256. I call and ask them to apply the difference in rates, $120. No such luck. I assumed that they would compare the retail price of the cruise when we booked, to the current retail price. Talked to a few reps, they say they can only compare the current rate to the rate we paid after the 15% was applied. Am I nuts to think that a fair apples to apples comparison would be sticker price vs. sticker price???

I kinda think Carnival is right on this one. They gave you your discount by adding on OBC they would be granting you a double discount. Hopefully that makes sense, it's easier in my head to explain it verbally then type it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Your logic is correct - base price to base price comparison WOULD be fair. However the 15% discount could have had terms & conditions that stated this is how they would handle it.

I also think I get what JLee1973 is trying to say - Carnival gave you an extra discount on top of their already discounted Early Saver rate.

P.S. the difference is $102 (15% off of the difference between the two base prices).

Okay... kind of a complicated scenario, but please tell me if I am absolutely crazy. A couple years ago, carnival gave us a 15% off any future cruise we booked with them. We found a cruise, and booked on early saver a couple of months ago. Cruise rate was $3376 before taxes. Carnival applied our 15% off, dropping our total before taxes to $2,870.

Now I find that the the current rate for the same cabin is $3,256. I call and ask them to apply the difference in rates, $120. No such luck. I assumed that they would compare the retail price of the cruise when we booked, to the current retail price. Talked to a few reps, they say they can only compare the current rate to the rate we paid after the 15% was applied. Am I nuts to think that a fair apples to apples comparison would be sticker price vs. sticker price???

I rather agree with you. Your 15% wasn't a promotion going on. I assume this was given to you for a compensation of sorts. They should go off the original (pre 15% rate). New rate minus 15%.

There was no fine print when I got the same type of discount for an issue with our cabin. Didn't ask for it. The manager at guest services gave it to us. When we booked the next cruise, I said nothing about the 15% discount until 6 weeks out. Once I was pretty certain there would be no more price drops. Yes we did book early saver and that particular cruise was the last one where I had several drops. I had to email the letter to my TA who then dealt with Carnival to get the discount. It would have been better had you waited. However, you are still entitled to the 15% off regardless. If the price drops, then the rate has to be adjusted again and again if necessary. You booked early saver and are entitled (per the terms of the rate) to any rate drop your category gets.

If you booked directly, I would call ask to be assigned a PVP and then let them take it from there. The 15% isn't a promo. And they would adjust it with any drops I got. Ask for a supervisor. Something!

There was no fine print when I got the same type of discount for an issue with our cabin. Didn't ask for it. The manager at guest services gave it to us. When we booked the next cruise, I said nothing about the 15% discount until 6 weeks out. Once I was pretty certain there would be no more price drops. Yes we did book early saver and that particular cruise was the last one where I had several drops. I had to email the letter to my TA who then dealt with Carnival to get the discount. It would have been better had you waited. However, you are still entitled to the 15% off regardless. If the price drops, then the rate has to be adjusted again and again if necessary. You booked early saver and are entitled (per the terms of the rate) to any rate drop your category gets.

If you booked directly, I would call ask to be assigned a PVP and then let them take it from there. The 15% isn't a promo. And they would adjust it with any drops I got. Ask for a supervisor. Something!

If OP asked to be assigned a PVP after he is already booked wouldn't the PVP be working for nothing? He doesn't get credit for the OP's booking does he?

Bill

If OP asked to be assigned a PVP after he is already booked wouldn't the PVP be working for nothing? He doesn't get credit for the OP's booking does he?

Bill

If you book on board and than transfer booking to pvp he does get credit for booking I believe. Not sure how it works if you book via Miami.

Bottom line would call and speak to someone else

If you book via the web, it's considered a website booking and the PVP doesn't get credit. The exception is if you put a 24-hr hold on and then the PVP completes the booking. Dealt with this last fall due to my PVP being on vacation.

Bill

I know you can transfer a booking to a TA and they will get the commission, which is built into the price already anyway. I would guess it worked the same way when transferring to a PVP.

I just think the OP is better off with a dedicated person to handle this booking. I hope it gets straightened out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

First off, thanks for all the replies.

I did book with a PVP. He was the first person I tried to contact. I emailed him, never heard back, so I called in. I will try him again this morning.

Another change I would like to make with our booking, is change to Deck 8. When we booked, deck 6 was the cheapest, and deck 8 was an up charge. Now they are the same price. I will let you guys know how it goes.

thanks again everyone!

We had a price reduction from our website booking for our upcoming cruise in April. I call Carnival and they denied the cheaper rate. From my cruise critic buddies it was suggested I go to the bottom of the website to "Price Protection" fill out the form and see what happens. Surprise!!!! I got the cheaper rate. There is also a spot on the form where you can explain you still want your 15% discount. I bet you will get it. I have done this now 5 times for the same cruise for price reductions and have got them every time. Check it out.

I think in this case you should just be extremely happy that you received the 15% discount. Carnival didn't have to give you anything because it's not their fault that your son missed a rung on the ladder and fell. There are people that have had worse injuries on Carnival ships that have received nothing. (I'll give you a hint, my husband is one of them.). So yeah, I would just be grateful with what you received and move on. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think in this case you should just be extremely happy that you received the 15% discount. Carnival didn't have to give you anything because it's not their fault that your son missed a rung on the ladder and fell. There are people that have had worse injuries on Carnival ships that have received nothing. (I'll give you a hint, my husband is one of them.). So yeah, I would just be grateful with what you received and move on. Enjoy your cruise!

I didn't see anything indicating he wasn't happy or grateful. But his discount should be applied without him having to sacrifice price drops he's entitled to. One shouldn't wipe out the other.

Sounds like you're bitter because you didn't get some type of discount extended to you because your husband was injured. I think these things are left up to the discretion of the manager handling it. I wasn't expecting a discount either. But I took it fully thankful. And made sure Carnival let me apply it properly.

I know you can transfer a booking to a TA and they will get the commission, which is built into the price already anyway. I would guess it worked the same way when transferring to a PVP.

I just think the OP is better off with a dedicated person to handle this booking. I hope it gets straightened out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was just going off of my son's experience. He booked online on a Saturday night when his PVP was off. He had a question a couple of days later and the PVP told him to call the 1-800 number and hung up.

Bill

I would call again and talk to someone else. They won't want to give you the discount but they can. Everyone's opinion on this differs, but I feel if they offer you a discount they should honor the discount even when making changes. This wasn't just some kind of percentage off offer, that may be different. You have a discount for something that went wrong on a previous cruise. Good luck! Be persistent.

I didn't see anything indicating he wasn't happy or grateful. But his discount should be applied without him having to sacrifice price drops he's entitled to. One shouldn't wipe out the other.

Sounds like you're bitter because you didn't get some type of discount extended to you because your husband was injured. I think these things are left up to the discretion of the manager handling it. I wasn't expecting a discount either. But I took it fully thankful. And made sure Carnival let me apply it properly.

Not bitter at all, trust me. We haven't even tried to get anything from Carnival. That's just not how we are. I'm just saying that if I were in this person shoes, I wouldn't be on CC complaining about not getting the price drop. I would be happy to have the 15% discount.

You get all price drops and the 15%. It would be no different from booking at the new lower price for the first time. We had a 15% off and then the price dropped 3 times which our PVP then made sure we got under ES (the last one was an obc since past final payment).