Advice on A Stopover in Houston from Chile

chem eng

We will be flying from Santiago Chile to Houston on November 21 at 10:40 pm and will arrive in Houston at 5:30 in the morning (Nov. 22).

We are planning to rent a car at the airport as it appears that Houston doesn't have suitable public transit. I believe the airport car places open at 7:00 am. Being from Toronto I am used to express ways and busy traffic. I also drive on the same side as the USA.

At this time we are thinking of renting a hotel room for Nov. 21st as we will need to crash once we get here and most hotels don't let you have the room until 2 pm.

We would like to go to the Houston Space Center and the Museum of Fine Arts. How long does it normally take to do these sights.

Where should we rent the hotel room? What are the areas around the airport like? Are there places to eat that are not associated with the hotels? I would like to use Hotwire or the Express Deals on Priceline. Will I have any problems getting 2 beds if I use them. (some European or Asian hotels are very small and you can end up with a small double there!)

Since Nov. 24 is Thanksgiving we are thinking of leaving then as the Museums and Space Centre would be closed. Our flight would leave around 11:30 am which gives us time to return the car and go through security. Is there anything to do on Thanksgiving?

Thanks

Chris

I would look for a hotel in the Clear Lake area. It is near the space center and Kemah boardwalk area. It is probably about an hour drive (give or take) from IAH. Just look on google maps for the space center and you can see where it is and get a general feel for the area. Hotels...there is pretty much every chain in the area so what every brand suits your fancy. Car rental...they are in a central location at IAH and it is open 24/4 (IAH is a major international airport with arrivals and departures pretty much around the clock.). You just have to catch the shuttle bus from the terminal to the car rental center. (it stops just outside baggage claim at each terminal).