Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

The famous statues in and around Old San Juan are:

Christopher Columbus in the center of Plaza de Colon - which you got a photo of:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=old+san+juan+statue+Christopher+columbus&view=detailv2&&id=DB7EEF82A6E930E3FB66235792A1F632FC623F1F&selectedIndex=3&ccid=0KAANpBj&simid=608011931110477577&thid=OIP.Md0a0003690637b42887a75b670c55345o0&ajaxhist=0

Ponce de Leon:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147320-d147762-Reviews-Statue_of_Ponce_de_Leon-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Next time, go here for brunch:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d1802112-Reviews-Caficultura-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Try the coconut French toast with pineapple if you like these flavors - but if not everything on the menu is good and the waitstaff is fantastic! Also the coffee is very, very smooth.

or go have Puerto Rican food at:

Barrichina - this is where the Pina Colada was invented:

http://www.barrichina.com

El Jibarito

http://www.eljibarito1977.com

http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/old-san-juan/restaurants/el-jibarito

Cafe Manolin:

http://cafemanolinoldsanjuan.com/index.html

La Mallorquina - which may be the first restaurant ever opened in San Juan:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d7256268-Reviews-La_Mallorquina-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Most of these restaurants were very, very close to your hotel - in fact you even had a photo of La Mallorquina. I hope you got to try Puerto Rican food at one of them and it's just not posted yet.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

It was a little later in the day and we decided to go out exploring again. We had hoped that the sun would not be as brutal on us now. I had really wanted to walk to El Morro, or at least the cemetery. I had read some things about the cemetery and found a few pictures online and it looked like an amazing place to explore and get pictures. However, since it was already around 6pm, we looked up the times they were open and we knew this was not going to happen this time around. So...we just decided to head out and go in the opposite direction that we went last time.

P8213432%20copy-L.jpg

P8213433%20copy-L.jpg

P8213435%20copy-L.jpg

P8213436%20copy-L.jpg

The trolley stop

P8213434%20copy-L.jpg

P8213437%20copy-L.jpg

So let the fun begin...this street was lined with statues of the Presidents. I don't mean to offend anyone, it was all in good fun (and trust me, we were not the only ones coming up with things to do as this seem to be the "in" thing to do when people passed by).

P8213449-2%20copy-L.jpg

P8213451-2%20copy-L.jpg

Brayden had not got creative yet at this point

P8213453%20copy-L.jpg

High five

P8213452-2%20copy-L.jpg

Wow, he's tall!

P8213456%20copy-L.jpg

P8213472%20copy-L.jpg

Ok, that was fun...time to move on

P8213469%20copy-L.jpg

P8213473%20copy-L.jpg

I almost couldn't drag the hubby away from this area as his eyes lit up just looking at those rails he wanted to grind so bad...if only he had his skates. Wait, if only he had his skates and started grinding the rails, I'm sure he'd be in jail right now.

P8213474%20copy-L.jpg

P8213475%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_5333%20copy-L.jpg

P8213476%20copy-L.jpg

About this time we noticed a man approaching us. I just knew he was about to ask for money or something. We went over to the other sidewalk, but he followed. Me, being the person I am, decided to weave back and forth in between all the palm trees. Choo choo!!! It's the crazy train. He still managed to catch up and ask for money and I had gotten really good with the "No hablo Espanol" at this point. Of course their hand gestures would get them a "No comprende" and I would keep moving.

P8213482%20copy-L.jpg

P8213477%20copy-L.jpg

P8213479%20copy-L.jpg

P8213481%20copy-L.jpg

Well hello patch of grass in the middle of nowhere with a palm tree.

P8213480%20copy-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

P8213496%20copy-L.jpg

P8213500%20copy-L.jpg

P8213498%20copy-L.jpg

P8213501%20copy-L.jpg

Awww, pretty cow, nice cow, pose with the cow in an innocent picture my darling child....BRAYDEN, GET DOWN! Of course the first thing on his mind is how to get up on it (as you can see in the picture, him going around Sakari and looking for a way up...with a sign saying not to get on it and a guy from the restaurant standing right there telling him no as well. Geesh, can't take him anywhere.

P8213502%20copy-L.jpg

Then we come to bird street.

P8213503%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra had mentioned that the pool was on the roof. I didn't even realize they had a pool, so we went back to the room to change and do a little bit of swimming. We might as well really wear these kids out today right?

Fabulous view from up here

P8213510%20copy-L.jpg

It was a pretty neat area with the roof open and no windows.

P8213509%20copy-L.jpg

I can see the ship from here too

P8213513%20copy-L.jpg

P8213516%20copy-L.jpg

P8213511%20copy-L.jpg

P8213514%20copy-L.jpg

It's a long way down...this is the entrance to the hotel

P8213512%20copy-L.jpg

P8213517%20copy-L.jpg

Let the picture taking fun begin...a pool at night with the colors in the pool constantly changing made for some really super sucky photos. lol

P8213523%20copy-L.jpg

P8213544%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra is a girl of many poses

P8213536%20copy-L.jpg

Everyone standing on their heads

P8213545%20copy-L.jpg

Then the kids decided they were going to try to sit Indian style on the pool floor and hold it. It was hilarious to watch everyone start to float up. Let's just say it was a challenge to see who could stay down the longest at that point.

P8213548%20copy-L.jpg

P8213547%20copy-L.jpg

WOW! I somehow managed to capture and under/over picture and didn't even know it.

P8213550%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra, you face says it all

P8213551%20copy-L.jpg

Ok, let's lay on the floor.

P8213554%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari looked like she was trying to do sit ups

P8213552%20copy-L.jpg

P8213570%20copy-L.jpg

P8213577%20copy-L.jpg

P8213571%20copy-L.jpg

Then Kendra decided that she was going to try to fit Sakari's mono tail and swim. Now THAT was some entertainment for sure. She tried and tried and could not get the hang of it.

P8213520%20copy-L.jpg

They couldn't stop laughing and making fun of Kendra trying to swim. It was so awkward.

P8213521%20copy-L.jpg

So I just knew I had to try it too. Sakari showed me how put the fins on and away I went. It was very awkward but I got the hang of it. It's all about the body flow. It was one of those "here hold my beer and watch this" moments. But, I have to say I got the hang of it pretty quickly. Of course that upset Kendra and she had to keep practicing. She let down her hair and said "I want to look like a mermaid swimming with my hair flowing".

So after awhile, she was getting better and I did a few videos. Then the kids started the "twirling in circles" to see how many they could do.

[YOUTUBE]tvt3HFjIznA[/YOUTUBE]

Then it was splash city after that...almost everyone had left the pool except for a guy and his kid that was jumping, so it was on.

P8213557%20copy-L.jpg

P8213556%20copy-L.jpg

P8213558%20copy-L.jpg

P8213559%20copy-L.jpg

P8213560%20copy-L.jpg

P8213562%20copy-L.jpg

We decided that we were pretty worn out as well and it was unanimous that we would just head downstairs to the restaurant and grab a bite to eat out on the patio and watch the ship sail away. The kids said they were so tired they just couldn't go on and started dragging their feet like they had weights on them. This is what it was going to look like if we had to walk anywhere and they were pretty serious about it.

P8213578%20copy-L.jpg

It was a cool little area, especially at night with everything all lit up.

P8213579%20copy-L.jpg

P8213580%20copy-L.jpg

P8213584%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra sat at another table and for some reason she had a different waiter. He came out and took their drink orders and we were still waiting. What gives?

Then he took her meal order and we finally got to order our drinks.

P8213581%20copy-L.jpg

Her waiter was constantly checking on her, but ours...ehh, we were lucky to see him.

P8213585%20copy-L.jpg

P8213586%20copy-L.jpg

About that time, we heard the Fascination blow her horn. I jumped up for a video and caught there very end of it. Then recorded her pulling out and turning around.

[YOUTUBE]Diz4B3h-yKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Goodbye to everyone starting the first day of their wonderful voyage. I hope you all have a great time like we did.

P8213588%20copy-L.jpg

Our food came and by that time, B was asleep on the chair. Kendra was a little upset that she had just paid around $12 for some chicken and he was going to waste it. Sakari never misses a meal no matter how tired she is.

P8213591%20copy-L.jpg

I swear I think I lived on cheeseburgers in each port on this cruise. I have never ate so many, but it was the only "safe" thing I found on the menu's at most places.

P8213590%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari ask me a question and I turned and pointed at something and completely knocked over my drink. Eek! I'm scrambling to find something to wipe it up with and went inside to get my waiter. He brought out some napkins and I cleaned the mess up off of the table.

I was eating and do you think the waiter brought me another drink? NOPE! I had to go back inside and tell him "Hey, you know I knocked over my drink right? Well is it possible to get another since I have nothing to drink?" hiccup. This place and the service with drinks is just too much!

We finished our meals, Kendra boxed up B's meal and swore that's what he's eating for breakfast in the morning. Yea right Kendra...we'll see.

We headed back to the room and got ready for bed. I think the kids were sleep walking before they ever made it back to the room.

Then off to bed we went.

As we got closer to the shore, all of a sudden it was if someone has just dumped raw sewage a foot beside us. Barf

oh my goodness, the second you mentioned "that" smell, I knew you were headed to Pinel! What a beautiful place, we LOVE Pinel Island! But that smell by the ferry? Holy Moly! I have never smelled anything like that in my whole life! I can't believe you had to walk in it!:eek:

Ok, finishing up...our last and final day...of 12 days total. WHEW!

I don't even remember what time we got up, but me and the kids were the first to rise. Then the horse play started with B, then he got loud. Then for some reason he decided to open up the bedroom door, where the hubby was sleeping, and run around. Oh boy...hubby was not pleased, got up, got dressed, said he was leaving for a bit. Yikes. B knows how to pull that last string for everyone and he managed to do it so early in the morning this time.

So, I assumed that he was going somewhere to find some coffee because that's what he needs first thing in the morning before dealing with someone like B. Well, we were hungry and I texted him to ask where he went, which was confirmed he was somewhere drinking coffee and I told him we were headed for breakfast...and off we went.

I knew I had to get some type of Puerto Rican food in me while I was here and I wasn't leaving this lovely place until I found something. I remembered others on here talking about Mallorca. We put the address info in our phone GPS and off we went. Well, I remember passing this place yesterday, but didn't notice it at the time.

P8223611%20copy-L.jpg

P8223610%20copy-L.jpg

We sat down and I ordered some sugary goodness and the kids just ordered "normal" food.

The thing I did like about this place is that when you ordered pop, you got the entire can with a cup.

P8213605%20copy-L.jpg

The place was pretty packed and I didn't want to be so obvious with taking pictures, so I didn't get a lot.

P8213606%20copy-L.jpg

P8223609%20copy-L.jpg

If this didn't perk me up, I don't know what would. It was yummy.

P8213608%20copy-L.jpg

We headed back to the hotel to finish packing up so that we could head to the airport. The hubby returned and had recuperated now and told me that he had found a local skate shop there in the city and had walked there. However, they were not open and he was extremely disappointed.

We packed our things, checked out, and caught a cab to the airport.

Here we would spend a lot of time just hanging out because we had a later flight (2pm).

P8223612%20copy-L.jpg

So, Kendra pulls out some Caribbean cards, which I didn't realize she had bought, and she started teaching me some card games I had never heard of. We started out with "screw your neighbor".

P8223613%20copy-L.jpg

After heading inside, this was next on Sakari's list instead of playing games.

IMG_5334%20copy-L.jpg

I had good seats and was able to get on the plane way before Kendra. So here they come.

P8223615%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_5336%20copy-L.jpg

Off we went and it was starting to look icky out.

P8223617%20copy-L.jpg

P8223618%20copy-L.jpg

Goodbye Puerto Rico...I will miss you and hopefully see you again...maybe next year?

P8223619%20copy-L.jpg

P8223620%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra would be snapchatting me and I had no idea that it gave you the mph from all the way up there.

IMG_5337%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari would continue with her drawings...as always.

P8223616%20copy-L.jpg