Quebec Montreal Train

Teddy123

A bit long but doable as a day trip and well worth it IMHO as three days would be a lot in Quebec City.

Train info and tix: via rail.ca

Montreal is a big city so what to see depends on your interests. Lots of neighborhoods to explore, museums, shopping, restaurants.

Thanks. I'd found the website of Orleans Express who seem to operate the trains (with others on the same route?) but wasn't sure about things like whether it's possible/desirable to reserve seats. And I haven't yet researched where the station is in Montreal and how to get from/to it. The ship does offer an excursion, but it's a lot more expensive and I think I prefer 3 hours on the train rather than the bus - unless somebody tells me the train journey is terrible!

Thanks. I'd found the website of Orleans Express who seem to operate the trains (with others on the same route?) but wasn't sure about things like whether it's possible/desirable to reserve seats. And I haven't yet researched where the station is in Montreal and how to get from/to it. The ship does offer an excursion, but it's a lot more expensive and I think I prefer 3 hours on the train rather than the bus - unless somebody tells me the train journey is terrible!

Train is better. no traffic and drops you in the center of Montreal. You can walk around easily.

Yes viarail is only train company in Canada

Unless you are positive you'll never return to Quebec (province), I'd recommend against your side-trip. While Montreal is a great city - indeed, I'd personally prefer to visit there instead of Quebec City if forced to pick - splitting three days between them will just mean you do a half-assed job of seeing them both instead of having enough time to do real justice to either.

Assuming that you do feel just the one day is the best option for you: I would focus on Mont Royal (nice views, plus St Joseph's Oratory) and Old Montreal, and definitely Notre-Dame - there are enough museums and galleries that I'd need to know more about your preferences to suggest which might be best for you.

If you can stay late enough for dinner then I would book a table in Au Pied de Cochon ASAP (unless you're veggie/vegan, in which case avoid!)

I agree with martincath. Three days is not too much for Quebec City and it will allow you the opportunity for an excursion to one or more of the nearby attractions such as Montmorency Falls and the Ile d'Orléans. A day trip to Montréal would be rushed. Best save it for another time.

BTW Via Rail is not the only passenger rail company in Canada by any means, but it is certainly the only one offering service between Québec City and Montréal.

Unless you are positive you'll never return to Quebec (province), I'd recommend against your side-trip. While Montreal is a great city - indeed, I'd personally prefer to visit there instead of Quebec City if forced to pick - splitting three days between them will just mean you do a half-assed job of seeing them both instead of having enough time to do real justice to either.

Assuming that you do feel just the one day is the best option for you: I would focus on Mont Royal (nice views, plus St Joseph's Oratory) and Old Montreal, and definitely Notre-Dame - there are enough museums and galleries that I'd need to know more about your preferences to suggest which might be best for you.

If you can stay late enough for dinner then I would book a table in Au Pied de Cochon ASAP (unless you're veggie/vegan, in which case avoid!)

It all depends on what kind of traveler you are. Quebec City is certainly beautiful but very touristy in the Venice sort of way. Also you can probably see ever single street in the old city in a day. I haven't done those side trips but would doubt they are on par with seeing Montreal which is one of the most interesting vibrant cities in North America.

It all depends on what kind of traveler you are. Quebec City is certainly beautiful but very touristy in the Venice sort of way. Also you can probably see ever single street in the old city in a day. I haven't done those side trips but would doubt they are on par with seeing Montreal which is one of the most interesting vibrant cities in North America.

I think you misquoted my response instead of laverendryes, since I didn't mention any day trips from QC.

If you're a 'see the biggest hits only' kind of traveler, sure, a day in Old Town Quebec City is going to be enough - but if you're that kind of traveler then a day in Montreal is enough too...

Thanks for all the comments, but having looked at all the aspects again, especially the limited number of trains and my not being too keen on 6 hours on a bus, I've decided that I'll stay in Quebec all the time (and had already been thinking of going to the falls). That way will be more leisurely and I can work round any bad weather more easily.

Thanks for all the comments, but having looked at all the aspects again, especially the limited number of trains and my not being too keen on 6 hours on a bus, I've decided that I'll stay in Quebec all the time (and had already been thinking of going to the falls). That way will be more leisurely and I can work round any bad weather more easily.

Hi there

Don't know if you have decided already, but have you considered renting a car? You wouldn't be constrained by the train schedule, so you would have more available time and once you arrived in Montreal you would be able to get around better to see the island. It could work well with an early pick up or you could stay overnight in Montreal and enjoy some nightlife.

have a great cruise

I HAVE driven hire cars all over the States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc - and most recently in Iceland earlier this year - but my wife is now getting less adventurous than she was and is not happy with the thought! so I think renting a car is probably out (as well as the question of finding parking in Montreal). So thanks for the idea, but I think we'll be sticking to Quebec.