Progreso - Uxmal ruins excursion

ABQrobin

Just back a few days ago from the Carnival Liberty.

We did the Uxmal ruins tour with Carnival. FANTASTIC excursion. I highly recommend it. We had a thunderstorm warning on the weather (due to that tropical storm churning off the coast of Cuba and Yucatan) so we weren't sure if we would actually get to go. Sun was shining when we arrived in Progreso so we met the tour, got on the bus, and off we went.

It is an hour and 30-40 minute drive to the ruins but we had 2 tour guides onboard the bus. The first guy, Jose, talked about the Yucatan, the Mayans, and taught us all some words and phrases in Mayan on the way there. After we arrived, the other guide took us into the ruins and walked us around, showing us various photos and items he had in a small display box of tools and colorants they used to make and decorate the structures. He was fantastic.

After an hour, weaving in and out of the structures, and climbing a large one in the back of the site, the rains came. Wow, hard rain that did not let up. We got most of the site covered but still had over an hour left inside the park before our departure. We tried waiting under a structure for a few minutes but the storm didn't pass, so we splashed our way back to the entry area shops and restaurant to wait. There is a nice restaurant there, and many people went inside to eat. We opted to eat snacks I had brought, and shop. There is a nice shop on the corner that had wood carvings at 1/4 the price of similar in Cozumel.... jackpot! We got one and our son bought one for his collection, as well as a few other trinkets.

The bus left at 3pm on the dot, and we arrrived back at Progreso port shopping area, right at the ship, with 30 minutes to shop some more. There are dozens of shops as well as a bar and pool there. Prices were very good there also.

Here is my video, with some still photos:

We all had a fantastic time, and we highly recommend this excursion.

Hi,

Glad you liked the tour. We are going in January and I was just curious as to where you meet the bus. Do you still take the shuttle into town ? thank you

They meet you right off the ship, next to it. Then they walk you through the shopping area to the parking lot to the bus that takes you directly there. You literally walk less than a 1/4 mile. The bus then travels down the pier which is really just a road, through town and does NOT stop in town at all. Same coming back, drops you off right at the shopping area just next to the ship.

We took this tour about four years ago and loved it - especially climbing the steps of the Grand Temple.

We did it on our own - stopping at the Progresso booth off the ship and was able to get the excursion much cheaper than thru Carnival.

The only thing was that our bus, while very nicely appointed, didn't have a restroom and with all that I drank while there (it was hot!), it was a very iffy ride back to the port, lol!

• 5 months later...
They meet you right off the ship, next to it. Then they walk you through the shopping area to the parking lot to the bus that takes you directly there. You literally walk less than a 1/4 mile. The bus then travels down the pier which is really just a road, through town and does NOT stop in town at all. Same coming back, drops you off right at the shopping area just next to the ship.

ABQrobin, I don't know if you will see this since this thread is 5+ months old, but I was wondering if you remember about how large your Carnival tour group to Uxmal was, or how many the bus holds?

Thanks!

Our bus had maybe 25-30 people. You can see them on my video. It never ever felt crowded. The group was really good, everyone interested in what the tour guide had to say. He had a little "show and tell" box, with many items similar to what the Mayans used for tools, money, trade, etc. He was worth the whole tour by himself.

I highly recommend taking the tour!

Also, when we were there, only one other tour bus, also from our ship and they went the opposite direction from us so we never saw them again until the end. And there were maybe 8-10 people who were there on their own (drove cars) .... that was it. It was so wonderful to be at a Mayan ruin site that was NOT crowded.

Uxmal is definitely our favorite Mayan ruin site we have ever visited, and we have done a lot. Chichen Itza is fantastic, but thousands of people and vendors everywhere. Such a different atmosphere at Uxmal.

Thanks for all the great info, Robin. I enjoyed reading your reviews, seeing pics, and watching the videos! We are visiting the same ports on the Fantasy in April. We must have similar tastes, because we also booked the same Catamaran excursion as you did in Cozumel. I have a feeling ours may be a lot more crowded. :(

Thanks again!

I LOVE Uxmal when we went a few years ago it was amazing. Don't know if they still let you but got to climb one of the pyramids. I thought it was great as there are so many different ruins to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add for anyone who hasn't done this excursion but might be considering it, don't be put off by the 90 minute drive each way. The tour guide and bus driver are usually very entertaining and talk almost non stop, so it seems to be a much shorter ride than it is.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks fantastic! I did notice, however, that there weren't many/any kids around. Is this something that would be better suited to adults? I'd hate for them to be super bored, but I'd also like for them to be exposed to this beautiful historical site. (They'll be 7 and 11 when we go in October '17)

That looks fantastic! I did notice, however, that there weren't many/any kids around. Is this something that would be better suited to adults? I'd hate for them to be super bored, but I'd also like for them to be exposed to this beautiful historical site. (They'll be 7 and 11 when we go in October '17)

I think you'd have to do some homework before departure from home, to give the kids an opportunity to learn about Maya culture, to give some background, some context, for what they will be seeing.

There are lots of YouTube videos of the Uxmal buildings they can watch beforehand.

Mayan ruins have carved figures, so you could get them to use their imaginations to explain the meaning of what they are looking at while wandering around.

Bring something to keep them amused on the long bus trip to and from.

I think you'd have to do some homework before departure from home, to give the kids an opportunity to learn about Maya culture, to give some background, some context, for what they will be seeing.

There are lots of YouTube videos of the Uxmal buildings they can watch beforehand.

Mayan ruins have carved figures, so you could get them to use their imaginations to explain the meaning of what they are looking at while wandering around.

Bring something to keep them amused on the long bus trip to and from.

We homeschool and I'm building a unit about the Mayan culture as we speak! :) We can look at all the things online, but nothing compares to seeing things first hand for yourself. I'm torn between Uxmal and Dzibilchaltun, but I'll be researching that on my own before we go to decide which would be a better fit for us. Hopefully they'll be excited to see the ruins in person. Thank you for your suggestions!

• Like 1