Cruise Critic Community
Suite Travels

The Crystal Insider

I think I've reached the point where I just dont want to hear from Edie anymore; her likes, her dislikes, how she travels, what luxury is for her. Its always all about her. I am thankful for all the other people that make Crystal a great cruise line, maybe some of those people can be the spotlight of the lines communication

I think I've reached the point where I just dont want to hear from Edie anymore; her likes, her dislikes, how she travels, what luxury is for her. Its always all about her. I am thankful for all the other people that make Crystal a great cruise line, maybe some of those people can be the spotlight of the lines communication

I could not agree with you more. Perhaps a wee bit narcissistic as well. Ya think! Love the crew who would be better as spokespersons for the line as well as passengers that don't need to be in every photo op with with just officers and executives. Let the crew speak why they love working for Crystal and that is important...they are the best ambassadors to Crystal.

Have thought that for a very long time.

I think I've reached the point where I just dont want to hear from Edie anymore; her likes, her dislikes, how she travels, what luxury is for her. Its always all about her

Not to add fuel to the fire but I came across this interview that a travel company published with Edie today....very revealing and yes it is all about her...

How Edie Rodriguez travels

Edie Rodriguez has spent her whole career in travel, and much of it in cruise. Starting as a travel consultant, she went on to hold senior roles in agencies, technology companies and cruise lines, before becoming President and CEO of Crystal Cruises in 2015. Based in LA, she is passionate about luxury travel and is leading Crystal’s move towards a seamless marriage of river cruising, ocean cruising and private jet experiences. Follow her on Twitter at @edierodriguez.

What kind of bags do you travel with?

I pack as much as I can into a leather Tumi carry-on bag so I can avoid checking luggage. I also have a custom Hermes Birkin bag and a custom Louis Vuitton bag, both of which have ‘EMK’ on them – my maiden name initials.

Tell us about the three essentials you always bring with you…

An item of clothing

My cashmere black pashmina.

An accessory

Chanel ballet flats. I’m on my feet a lot, so I need a pair of comfy shoes to hand.

A beauty product

Make-up, perfume, floss and mouthwash.

What tech do you always take on vacation?

I carry an iPad mini and two cell phones, one for business use and one for personal use. Plus chargers for all three, MOPHIE spare batteries and a TUMI global converter.

What do you read when traveling?

The Wall Street Journal, the latest Crystal brochure and a good book.

What’s the one thing you’d NEVER travel without?

My Starbucks card. I’m addicted!

Not to add fuel to the fire but I came across this interview that a travel company published with Edie today....very revealing and yes it is all about her...

Edie Rodriguez has spent her whole career in travel, and much of it in cruise. Starting as a travel consultant, she went on to hold senior roles in agencies, technology companies and cruise lines, before becoming President and CEO of Crystal Cruises in 2015. Based in LA, she is passionate about luxury travel and is leading Crystal’s move towards a seamless marriage of river cruising, ocean cruising and private jet experiences. Follow her on Twitter at @edierodriguez.

I pack as much as I can into a leather Tumi carry-on bag so I can avoid checking luggage. I also have a custom Hermes Birkin bag and a custom Louis Vuitton bag, both of which have ‘EMK’ on them – my maiden name initials.

An item of clothing

An accessory

Chanel ballet flats. I’m on my feet a lot, so I need a pair of comfy shoes to hand.

A beauty product

I carry an iPad mini and two cell phones, one for business use and one for personal use. Plus chargers for all three, MOPHIE spare batteries and a TUMI global converter.

Talk about name dropping!!! How may 'exclusive', 'luxury' brand names can you drop into one short interview!!!!

Personally I think it's very 'reality tv star' style to name the brands of the items you may own, she could have given the same answers without having to name the brands and tell all that her designer bags are personalised with her initials too....

Anne...

No mention about seat 3A?

I guess American Airlines isn't worth mentioning.

Also, why read the latest Crystal brochure? Does this mean that it went to print without the CEO looking at it and giving it the EMK seal of approval?

Still breathlessly awaiting the "seamless marriage".

I really like Edie! I think she's doing a great job!

Getting ready to board Symphony tomorrow! 😊

Mary

Other than the "face" of Crystal do we know exactly what Edie is doing? Has she been truly involved with the design and decisions or is that really a staff responsibility. I know Crystal is evolving (at least planning to) since she took over but does anyone know if she is an involved CEO or just the marketing front.

Talk about name dropping!!! How may 'exclusive', 'luxury' brand names can you drop into one short interview!!!!

Personally I think it's very 'reality tv star' style to name the brands of the items you may own, she could have given the same answers without having to name the brands and tell all that her designer bags are personalised with her initials too....

Anne...

Yes, I agree, and agree with Mile's statement above also. The name dropping is very off putting. If I had never sailed Crystal and just read that interview I would say that Crystal was not for me. I too would love to see staff featured in ads and interviews.

Other than the "face" of Crystal do we know exactly what Edie is doing? Has she been truly involved with the design and decisions or is that really a staff responsibility. I know Crystal is evolving (at least planning to) since she took over but does anyone know if she is an involved CEO or just the marketing front.

Jonathan, she is very involved and not only in the area of Marketing. This also includes making a wide range of decisions including design.

Yes unlike her predecessor she is very visible with the media, travel agencies/agents, and with the general public including the guests and also with the land based employees and crew of both the Ocean Ships and River Cruise vessel.

She has incredible stamina, works countless hours and a quick study.

I have found that she take a genuine interest in the customer.

I hope you get the opportunity to meet her sometime.

In my former career, I was fortunate to know many people in her position of Fortune 500 companies and other large companies and I have been impressed with her from the moment I first spoke with her. I have found her to be a quick study with a vision of where to take Crystal.

I truly believe that without her Crystal would either find itself in a situation with two ocean ships as it is today but with absolutely no plans to expand the fleet or to get into other areas such as with expedition ships and river cruise vessels. And there would have been the possibility that Crystal would just be absorbed by one of the cruise lines either to just get the ships and crew or to keep the name Crystal but to drive down costs and lower the quality of the product.

I have yet to know any person in her position who everyone has only good to things to say. People in this position are going to have supporters and detractors. In the end, results are certainly what count.

Some of the people I know in the Cruise Industry have a lot of positive things to say about Edie. As someone who does enjoy the Crystal Product and wants to see only the best for Crystal I am glad that she is with Crystal for some of the reasons I mentioned above.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Anne...

+1. And unfortunately it seems the last thing on her mind- New Crystal Ships

Jonathan, she is very involved and not only in the area of Marketing. This also includes making a wide range of decisions including design.

Yes unlike her predecessor she is very visible with the media, travel agencies/agents, and with the general public including the guests and also with the land based employees and crew of both the Ocean Ships and River Cruise vessel.

She has incredible stamina, works countless hours and a quick study.

As one of the mere rank and file Crystal cruisers, is there some way that WE could know these things? Because otherwise, the only evidence is from the direction and accomplishments of the company she heads.

We have the vaporware of the United States. We have the ever-shifting timetables and pronouncements about the ocean new-builds. We have the focus on creating a "lifestyle brand", while seeing less and less attention to the core competency of the company. We have the vague rollout of the air cruises. We have the now-trademarked assertations that Crystal River is the only luxury river cruising line. We have the disastrous website rollout, that months later is still nowhere near functional. Finally, we have the public face that uses press opportunities, not to promote the company, but to promote the image of the CEO as an Exclusive, well-heeled world traveller.

An item of clothing

An accessory

A beauty product

Sadly the truly "exclusive" wouldn't care about her custom luxury items....tacky

Unlike Keith - most of us haven't had the privilege of actually meeting and talking to her. That might change many people's current opinions.

Results are what counts and so far the only thing that I see that has been truly successful is the river cruise. The yacht has had to be re-positioned which means that the original location just was wrong; the United States was a no go; too early to see about the air cruises although I have heard little about people signing up; the ocean cruise ships have been delayed again and again.

So far with an seeming unlimited budget she has announced a lot but not yet delivered.

I hope she is successful as I hope Crystal is.

Unlike Keith - most of us haven't had the privilege of actually meeting and talking to her. That might change many people's current opinions.

Results are what counts and so far the only thing that I see that has been truly successful is the river cruise. The yacht has had to be re-positioned which means that the original location just was wrong; the United States was a no go; too early to see about the air cruises although I have heard little about people signing up; the ocean cruise ships have been delayed again and again.

So far with an seeming unlimited budget she has announced a lot but not yet delivered.

I hope she is successful as I hope Crystal is.

Very well said. I have moved on due to too many issues. There are lots of excellent products out there and I just got off of one and have others planned. I don't need to show patience when I am spending my money.

Jonathan, there are actually many people who post on this board or are lurkers who have either met Edie in small sessions including lunches and dinners on board one of the Crystal Vessels, or saw her around the ship, or were greeted by her as they boarded or disembarked the ship or saw her speak on board one of the Crystal ship. This included those on the last few full World Cruises, or those on for the segment when she was on board, or those who have been on the recent President's cruises, NPW or even the cruise that Muriel was on board for.

It's easily a couple of hundred people from this board.

It has only been less than 18 months since Crystal was purchased by Genting. I would say rolling out one River Cruise ship, and one Yacht is pretty good with more to come starting next year. Yes, the United States didn't work out but very little money was spent. Yes, vessels will roll out later than originally announced.

As to things that don't work out I learned a long time in business that it is OK to make mistakes. The key is not to make the same mistake. I am a believer that in business if you don't make mistakes that means you are complacent and just doing the same old thing. Those types of companies often become dinosaurs. The key is to learn from your mistakes.

If Crystal remained under NYK, you would have two ships and nothing announced and people not complaining about delays but rather that nothing is being announced in terms of something new.

Yes, there is a learning curve because they are getting into new areas such as redeploying the yacht. Nothing in business is certain. Even Crystal doesn't have a Crystal Ball.

Like you, I do hope that Edie is successful and that Crystal is successful.

In the meantime, I do think it says a lot that many people continually post here, on their own blogs and on other sites how much they enjoy their Crystal cruises.

Yes, I look forward to those new vessels but I want to remind some that when the first one was announced there was concern about what the prices would be. So, there is benefit of it happening slower for those who prefer a price that is confident to what they have been paying. It will all happen in time. Just not as fast as originally predicted.

Keith

More Edie photos.

Last night while watching CNN, there she was going on and on, on her TV commercial. Now she's in my kitchen...unescapable! Seriously, I've never had a CEO turn me more off to a brand. Her ego has become a running joke among my friends that sail Crystal

Edited by LauraS

If Crystal remained under NYK, you would have two ships and nothing announced and people not complaining about delays but rather that nothing is being announced in terms of something new.

False choice being presented. You make it sound as though the only options were Edie or NYK.

How about "Genting with EMK" and "Genting without EMK"? That's a far more reasonable comparison to be making.

Last night while watching CNN, there she was going on and on, on her TV commercial. Now she's in my kitchen...unescapable! Seriously, I've never had a CEO turn me more off to a brand. Her ego has become a running joke among my friends that sail Crystal

Same here. Her face is everywhere ... not impressed. Next we will be seeing hats in the shops signed by Edie made by Chanel. I have never seen a more narcissistic female CEO like her.

From that article "Our chairman and CEO, Edie Rodriguez, spent the Thanksgiving holiday aboard Crystal Mozart with her husband, Tom, and son, Max, as she hosted the annual President’s Cruise"

Since when does the family (her son is an adult child) travel as part of the President cruise? Good perk I guess, or maybe she got a good rate on a solo cabin for him?

I guess she can claim that she hosted the inaugural Presidents cruise on Mozart - yeT strangely the article doesn't reference her Presidents title - just Chairman and CEO - oh the irony...

Not impressed. All the name dropping and self promotion is very off-putting. Its also turned me off to the Crystal brand in many ways. I seem to know more about the CEO than the brand. Is that the objective?

Edited by eroller

Not impressed. All the name dropping and self promotion is very off-putting. Its also turned me off to the Crystal brand in many ways. I seem to know more about the CEO than the brand. Is that the objective?

I want the face of the real employees of Crystal they are the ones making a difference. The crew makes it happen not Edie more attention and focus should be on them. At one time the Passport Magazine always featured employees now I see less focus on them.

Edie is not making your dreams come true, it is the hard working delightful people that work on the ship and they deserve the praises. Without these great people Crystal would be nowhere. You can have the the fanciest ship but if you don't have the crew and service you have nothing.

I want the face of the real employees of Crystal they are the ones making a difference. The crew makes it happen not Edie more attention and focus should be on them. At one time the Passport Magazine always featured employees now I see less focus on them.

Edie is not making your dreams come true, it is the hard working delightful people that work on the ship and they deserve the praises. Without these great people Crystal would be nowhere. You can have the the fanciest ship but if you don't have the crew and service you have nothing.

I agree 100%! I don't care about the CEO. They are a figurehead that is about it, and in the case of Crystal one I'm seeing far too much of. How about features on that favorite bartender, or the cabin stewardess that goes above and beyond to make everything perfect. Even the team at Crystal headquarters that really makes it happen. No they are not traveling the ships 24/7, flying first class in seat whatever, or vacationing at their villa in Tuscany, but they are truly the ones making the Crystal experience a reality!