Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnny55

Carnival Vacation Club

Anyone cruise using Carnival Vacation Club points? Joined the club on the Pride in July and am booked on the Glory in June '06 (Eastern Cruise). Any problems? Did they deliver as far as embarkation and debarkation went? In the sales pitch they hint strongly at upgrades. Did that happen? Just wondering.:confused:

Thanks,

Johnny55

Just returned today off the Pride, Wonderful cruise, great staff and service, I booked the PRIDE using my CVC points, booked a 4a Guarantee and got a 5a with french doors, both couples that came with me also got the same upgrade when I had their booking numbers crossed referenced with mine so we could all sit together during dinner. When I arrived at the Terminal I checked in onboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, then lined up in the Already Checked-in line of the Skippers Club, I was probably the 3rd person onboard. CVC gave us 4 Chocolate dipped strawberries that were waiting for us in the cabin and also 2 VIP parties, lots of food with open bar. Gary Williams was our concierge on the Pride, he ran the show and did a great job. He had lots of Champagne waiting for us. We were to meet at one of the lounges to debark on the last day together but we were abit getting there late and everyone was already off the ship, so we just stood inline and was off the ship in no time. Our luggage was in the VIP section, not hard to find and in a separate area from all the others.

I say TWO THUMBS UP for our first CVC Cruise, all went well and with all the perks, well worth it.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I understand that the CVC is only sold on the Pride and the Glory so far. It sounded like they really delivered. I'll look forward to the trip on the Glory next June. Dealing with the CVC rep in booking the Glory cruise has been positive. Have you had a chance to use a two for one airfare certificate yet? The price they quoted me for airfare from Sacramento to Orlando was $529 pp r/t. I may use the two for one or make my own air arrangements instead. They booked us at the Orlando Airport Marriott for the night before the cruise for $100. Ground transportation to and from the airport to Port Canaveral is only $50 each way for my wife and I. A $200 price for hotel & ground didn't sound bad. So far, so good with the CVC.:)

Thank you,

Johnny55

I got my Membership the Spirit, CVC is now on most ships, and all of them have a concierge onboard to assist you. One post I read on here, when CVC first came out a year ago, a couple booked and since the ship didnt have CVC onboard , they got to sit with the Captain during a dinner night.

I deal with Tracy at Carnival Vacation Club for booking my cruises now after I do the research on the VIP website, she is very helpful. I used my first 2 for 1 Air Certificate for my March 06 Valor cruise. The company that they use out of FLL were very helpful also, My tickets came out to 595.00 thats 297.00 pp, not bad for round trip from San Diego to Miami. You have to wait 6 months to call them and schedule your airfare. 529.00 is a great deal, go for it.

There were 14 returning VIP members on the Pride cruise this week, and they signed up around 30 more.

i was on the fascination 3 weeks ago and did not see or hear anything about the carnival vacation club. could one of you please post more details about the club?

thanks.

Can you tell me more about the Carnival Vacation Club. This is the first I've ever heard of it.

There are many post on Carnival Vacation Club on here, but in short, its their Vacation Plan with Points, no Maintence fees and its only for 5 years, a Silver Membership at 5,000 dollars will give you 20,000 points. You log on to the VIP website and use your points to cruise. 20,000 points if you book inside cabins will get you 4 to 5 cruises, so they are pretty much Pre-paid. The best part is the Perks you get while onboard, from VIP parties, Welcome gifts when you arrive in your stateroom, your own conciege to assist you with anything from priority bookin of excusions etc. meaning no more waiting in lines or at the pursers deck. First to embark onboard and debark on the last day, You also get 2 for 1 air certificates or Free Companion Fare so your partner flys for free, and 3 Land Resort Vacation Certificates that you can use within 10 years for 2 for only 299.00, 7 night stay. (Don't quote me on this but there are talks of allowing you to turn in one of them Land Resort Vacation Certificates for a cruise, not set in stone yet) Just log on to the VIP website and you can select places from the Carribbean, Hawaii, Mexico etc. On top of that, you will receive advance notice of special cruise offers on unique sailings and inaugural cruises, get first shot of sailing on a maiden voyage on a newer ships. Your family and friends can book under your membership under the Friends and Family program. My friend mike booked his Legend cruise and saved lots of cash. The list goes on, don't miss the next seminar once you get on the ship. Go to the Group seminar so you can hear questions from others. Last thing I just found out, they are working on a Finance program now to allow people to pay as they go, right now you have a few days to make your decision before you pay.

i was on the fascination 3 weeks ago and did not see or hear anything about the carnival vacation club. could one of you please post more details about the club? thanks.

Don't think they have it on the older type ships, more on the Spirit Class and Destiny Class and Conquest Class ships.

The following ships have the Carnival Vacation Club Seminars only: Conquest, Glory, Pride, Valor, and Spirit.

We purchased ours on the Conquest in 2004. Used it on the Legend in June 2005. No real problems but the skippers club was not offered even though I asked everytime we got in a different line. But was not a big deal as we were one of the first there. On disembarking there was no difference either. Had to sit and wait like everyone else. Other than that the whole process was fine, had the strawberries also. Going on Legend again in 2006 but not using points. Taking my son and new daughter-in -law with us and had a better deal not using points. Saving them for Alaska in 2007.

We purchased ours on the Conquest in 2004. Used it on the Legend in June 2005. No real problems but the skippers club was not offered even though I asked everytime we got in a different line. But was not a big deal as we were one of the first there. On disembarking there was no difference either. Had to sit and wait like everyone else. Other than that the whole process was fine, had the strawberries also. Going on Legend again in 2006 but not using points. Taking my son and new daughter-in -law with us and had a better deal not using points. Saving them for Alaska in 2007.

I've heard about the same from fellow cruisers. "No big difference."

I can't help but wonder if someone on this thread is a Carnival Salesman:confused:

I can't help but wonder if someone on this thread is a Carnival Salesman:confused:

If youre refering to me? nope, not a Carnival Rep, I just enjoy the whole vacation club thingie, Im not a Time Share owner either, I got into CVC because there are no maintence fees and you dont own it but get your cruises prepaid. My line of work is in Corrections:confused: , the Picture below is where I work, 4700 inmates behind the fence keeping you safe from hardcore criminals, a place you do not want to visit :eek:

One last thing, would I get Carnival Vacation Club again? Heck ya!!! I should of paid for 2 silver memberships.

RJD.jpg.3f3e615ab832574d5dcffd8e02622b5d.jpg

I just read through all the posts and don't see any that would indicate this.

I just read through all the posts and don't see any that would indicate this.

Yep me either, but you know some people LOL.

I have a complaint about the service I have received from Carnival vacation

Club; I originally book a cruise on the Elation from Galveston on Nov

20th, two cabins at a cost of 10794 points. Both outside cabins. I also booked a cruise on the Liberty for March 4th cabin with balcony 8 day cruise for 9050 points. Good deal I thought. The Elation crusie was cancelled due to Katrina. The Vacation Club advised me of the cancellation and I rebooked two cabins on the Conquest sailing from Galveston on Nov 20th for 20,000 points plus $199.00 for an outside cabin and an inside cabin on Main deck. They indicated that there was very little else available and it was a much newer ship and was more expensive, so I cancelled the Liberty cruis, used the points I Had plus cash. I called them a few weeks ago I had noticed that there were still cabins being advertised at much lower prices, they got me the inside cabin upgraded to an outside cabin. The total cruise has cost me in excess of $5000.00. The cruise is currently advertised at $679 for an outside cabin if you add on taxes etc I will suggest tops the cost would be $800.00 x 4 pax = $3516. The Thangsgiving Cruise is a family trip so it was necessary to try and get a cruise booked. Now I don't think this club is such a great deal. We are hoping that the cruise is worth all we have invested. This will be our 4th cruise with Carnival but I doubt we will make another. I guess its buyer beware.

I rebooked two cabins on the Conquest sailing from Galveston on Nov 20th for 20,000 points plus $199.00 for an outside cabin and an inside cabin on Main deck.

Not getting the figures right, Im looking at this online now,Cat. 6a Outside cabin is 3927 points x 2 packs = 7854 points

Cat. 4a Inside for is 3466 x 2 packs = 6932 points

Total is 14,786 points, not sure why you are coming out to 20,000 points.

Are there 5 in the group?

What you are seeing on line is the price right now, I paid 11173 points for the 6B outside cabin, two people. Booking date was Sept 6th after Elation was cancelled. The cost in points for the inside cabin for two people took me over the 20000 points I had. I was told that this was the best deal I could get from Carnival Vacation Club. I realise now I should not have booked with them. Not knowing what the traffic would be like for your Thanksgiving and wanting to make the cruise with family from Houston I took what they offered me. You seem very pleased with what you have received from this Club. I am happy for you but I don't think my booking has been handled with me in mind it seemed have been handled with an intent to take advantage of the Hurricane. I think I might post a copy of the Carnival Vacation Club statement showing the number of points I paid for the cabin on my cabin door. We are still looking forward to the cruise and hoping we all enjoy it. We love cruising this will be our 12th. The 13th is booked for February but not with Carnival Vacation Club I do not have any points left.

the CVC is a very personal choice. Just like timeshares, it is a good deal for some people and not a good deal for others. To some people, the Skippers Club is worth the extra price. Others don't care if they have the Skippers Club or not. What I really don't like is this idea that you "must buy it on the boat". I think that gives it a cheapness and crooked feel to it.

The only thing you should know is that:

1: CVC is not owned or operated by Carnival. Carnival simply "sold" them the use of their name and space on these ships to sell their wares.

2. CVC retains the right to charge whatever number of points they want to for any cruise. Basically, CVC can change the "exchange" rate at will. So while you may have 20,000 points, CVC decides how many cruises you will get for those points. Personally, I don't like having that large of an unknown

factor. In theory, CVC could decide to only give you 1 cruise for that 20,000 instead of the 4 to 5 they discussed when you bought the "package". You have no say in the matter.

As for the other "perks" of companion fares and land vacations etc, I have read enough horror threads to say that these should not be part of your decision making process.

We were on the Spirit in Alaska and when it was all said and done, our Interline rates were a better deal plus we were not locked into anything.

But then, we already got the chocolate covered strawberries and appetizers before every formal dinner and a bottle of champagne on our Alaska cruise, because our family of four are all Carnival platinum level.

My experience is an example of having to spend 20000 points to make a cruise they are alllowing you to take now for thousands of points less. I realise that CVC is not owned by Carnival Cruise Lines but they have sold the use of their name to what appears to me now a somewhat sleezy outfit. They therefore should expect some of the bad feeling to be associated with them thats the price for selling your name and logo.

I paid 11173 points for the 6B outside cabin, two people.

My Pride cruise last week for 2 was 4949 points, we try to stretch our points by booking a Cat. 1a guarentee or a 4a guarantee, which we was upgraded to a 6a along with the 2 other couples that came with me.

knowing what the traffic would be like for your Thanksgiving and wanting to make the cruise with family from Houston.

Holidays here in the U.S. can be pretty messy, especially around xmas time. I try not to travel during the holidays

You seem very pleased with what you have received from this Club. I am happy for you but I don't think my booking has been handled with me in mind it seemed have been handled with an intent to take advantage of the Hurricane.

Alot of people lost from the events of the Hurricane, from cancellations to Dot.coms charging a cancellation fee or rebooking fee etc. Yes, we are pretty happy with the service CVC has given us and our friends. As for the way they handle your booking, I would write them and see if you can get some points in return. Call and ask to speak to a supervisor, tell them you're not happy with what happened and hope you can resolve this issue. Try with Raymond at ext: 4408, he is with Membership services and could probably help.