What would you do in the MDR?

LMaxwell

If you are sitting at a communal table and the maitre D' sits a couple/group/or family at the table that you think is dressed inappropriately, what would you do about it? Anything?

Nothing. Who cares? Who am I to judge? Doesn't bother me one bit. As long as they don't stink. :eek::eek:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I have never seen a dress code that says anything about how low a dress could be cut or how short it could be. Unless this is your attempt at humor you need to really worry about yourself and not what others are doing.

Please reread what I wrote. I never said anything about this woman not adhering to some kind of dress code, and I never said she shouldn't dress that way. I answered that we were uncomfortable being in the line of vision of so much naked flesh. Uncomfortable is a reaction NOT a judgement. I don't know what makes you uncomfortable - maybe it's not flesh but something else, like language or bad table manners or smoke (when smoking was allowed). I expect if someone at your table or closeby made you uncomfortable, you wouldn't necessarily judge the person but you may want to remove yourself from them.

Edited by Silent Penguin

I'd just dance naked. They'd leave. :D We had Tux and gown on and a couple wouldn't look at us at the same table. Thought that funny. I don't care how you dress, it's not my rpoblem and it none of your business. Eat your soup!

Edited by WupperAV

We proudly enter the MDR in our beautiful cruise formal attire and the maitre d' seats us at a table for six. Suddenly, we are aware that the fat woman opposite us is showing a bit too much cleavage. Of course we ask to be moved.

At the second table, an elderly Japanese man wearing a backwards baseball cap joins us. Obviously that will not do. On to the third table where, horror of horrors, there is a CHILD.

The fourth table of the evening is perfect. Elegant, witty table companions, window seat, and by now the sun is setting in glorious splendour. We heave a sigh of contentment. Perfect.......until we hear the distinguished woman opposite us whisper to her husband, "Dear, do you see what she is wearing? Please ask the waiter to move us to a different table".

Of course the clothes other people wear have no effect on the flavor of the food on our plates. And, if I choose to eat in any place where people are welcome to wear whatever they want, I have no right to comment, much less complain, about what they choose to wear.

I am, however, entitled to wonder why someone would want to have dinner at a place which did have a dress code - and then ignore that dress code: I would be inclined to think of that person as being self-absorbed --- not that it would inspire me to say or do anything - just to wonder...

the fat woman opposite us is showing a bit too much cleavage.

Would anyone say anything if it was a skinny woman showing "a bit too much cleavage"? LOL

I actually should have asked this the first time it was mentioned, but burm's post just reminded me. I bet know one would mind if the short skirt and low cut dress was worn by someone young and thin - they'd be happy to ignore her (or look more) then. Yet some people think fat women can't be proud and want to show off their bodies the same way. I guess people think only bodies they approve of are OK to show off.

I would be pleasant and polite and enjoy their company as much as possible each night for the duration of cruise...but then, my parents raised me to be a gentleman.

I do wish people who say they would be rude, or cold or ask for a different table would post their real names. That way if we are seated with them during a future cruise I know in advance I am going to need to focus more on what I was taught growing up. After all, it is difficult being pleasant and polite to a egotistical a...err, some people.

[quote=pullen0;51020637

Is it reasonable for the few who want to dress up to dictate to the masses that don't?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Given those ratios, of course not.

Then again, on a ship with a stated dress code, is it reasonable for the few who do not want to dress up to ignore the obvious wishes of those who do --

-- many of whom probably chose that ship at least in part because of the more formal ambience which they might prefer - and which is being denied them?

I love these threads. Some people go right to the "it's formal night and my wife and I are dressed formally and the formal ambiance of the MDR and in comes Billy Bob and Ellie Mae in their T-shirts and shorts and boob-exposing tight dress" examples.

I did not see where the OP said the hypothetical other guests were dressed in what some consider "sloppy" attire, only what they thought was inappropriate. I can see some people getting all bent out of shape because someone seated at their table are dressed in polos and chinos when they decided to forego the "rules" for cruise casual for the evening and come to dinner in the cocktail dress and suit...

If the monitor at the door (be it maitre'd or another crew member) allows someone in the MDR, it is up to you to either suck it up and be a human being and have dinner with your tablemates or keep your nose up in the air as you depart in a huff and ask for a 2 top where you will not have to interact with the unwashed masses. If you cannot behave properly when seated with others, you should not ask to be seated with others. It cuts both ways.

I would go on cruise critic and write a review capitalizing words for no apparent reason saying how this couple at the table ruined the cruise for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For some reason I find random capitalization more offensive than casual dress. :)

I would stand up and with a loud voice summon the maitre D to the table. Then i would proceed to point out to him, in an even louder voice, everything that is wrong with the offending wardrobe (s), I would then demand they be removed from the table and that I be refunded my entire cruise fare, gratuities and be given at least $500 OBC and a voucher for 50% my next cruise for all the inhumane pain and suffering I had to endure.

This is too funny!

I am enjoying this thread as well as double thinking my wardrobe...

Given those ratios, of course not.

Then again, on a ship with a stated dress code, is it reasonable for the few who do not want to dress up to ignore the obvious wishes of those who do --

-- many of whom probably chose that ship at least in part because of the more formal ambience which they might prefer - and which is being denied them?

Yep, don't know what the issue is that so many have in following the rules (by whatever name) we all agreed to when we booked?

I guess they just think they're too special.

I am enjoying this thread as well as double thinking my wardrobe...

Are you thinking of packing totally outrageous clothes so that you can watch people's reactions......and possibly read about them on CC? :D

I think that the world would be a very dull place if everyone were as boring and conservative as I. As an avid people watcher, the unusual or bizarre always delights me.

Are you thinking of packing totally outrageous clothes so that you can watch people's reactions......and possibly read about them on CC? :D

I think that the world would be a very dull place if everyone were as boring and conservative as I. As an avid people watcher, the unusual or bizarre always delights me.

Lol...Nothing outrageous here. Just wondering if I should bring a couple more dresses and less of my cottony Capri pants...:cool:

The only time this would bother me would be at dinner. If they showed up in short, shorts and tank top shirts, I would ask the waiter for a table for 2! No reason to make a scene!

If someone ignored the dress code for a casual night and wore a ball gown, would you do the same??? I still love it when people go straight to the shorts and tank tops ;)

If someone ignored the dress code for a casual night and wore a ball gown, would you do the same??? I still love it when people go straight to the shorts and tank tops ;)

I would expect this on a Carnival Cruise, but not on RCI or Celebrity! I think a little better clientele on Celebrity, RCI and also on Princess. I wouldn't make a scene though just get up and change tables for the duration.