.......idle jottings continued

CCHelp

Oh dear the television and food critic, AA Gill died yesterday.

He was truly very perceptive and had an acerbic wit.

Hum loved reading his weekly review of a restaurant (especially the worst ones).

No he probably means nothing to those outside the UK or those that don't care for food and dining much (so just those in "Poshland" then).

He described the extensiveness of his cancer, as having "the full English": a term used to describe an Englishman's breakfast (eggs, back bacon, pork sausages, beans, tomatoes, black pudding, maybe white pudding and in posh establishments, a sprig of parsley ..... oh and a side of toast, butter and marmalade, Seville of course and a pot of English breakfast tea).

Witty, funny and eloquent til the end.

Here are a few of his comments.

A.A.'s Food critiques ...

"Christmas dinner: the single most disgusting meal ever invented with the exception of American thanksgiving, which, though similar, manages to be marginally worse … Nobody sane or loving could invent Christmas food from scratch."

"A lobster bisque ought to be the crowning glory of the potager. And this one was excellent. Silky as a gigolo’s compliment and fishy as a chancellor’s promise."

"The baby back ribs were like eating the evidence in a war-crimes trial."

"Winkles are bottom-feeders’ chewing gum."

"Bouillabaisse … this is one of those dishes that has a mythological culinary status. Cassoulet is another. And salad dressing. And the Bloody Mary … Bouillabaisse is still, for me, geographically specific. I can only eat it in the South of France. Anywhere else, it just makes me sad."

"I ordered a lasagne. There’s only so much you can do for lasagne in the looks department. The only garnish that would improve it would be a power cut. And you have to go gingerly. It can be like emptying Vesuvius into your mouth, turning your tongue into a Pompeian pumice mummy."

"Scottish smoked salmon filled with poached salmon was too monotonously huge; nicely made, but a bit like eating a soggy pink scatter cushion."

"Soufflé Suisse: a difficult dish that always feels a bit Edwardian and normally comes the size of an inflated crème brûlee. What arrived was hot egg with napalm cheese, twenty stories high. It was the Dirk Diggler of soufflés."

"Pizza Express is a sort of gastronomic post-modern version of the Morecambe and Wise Christmas Special. We’ve all been here and done that … Only Hannibal Lecter would conceivably have a favourite Café Rouge or All Bar One, but everyone has a favourite Pizza Express."

"The Rainforest Café menu is, almost comfortingly; exactly the same as every other theme restaurant menu on the planet. It’s hamburger and pasta caught between a Hard Rock and a hard place."

"There are many wonderful things about Egypt, but none of them is gastronomic. An Egyptian restaurant belongs on the same street as a Fijian ballet school, a Ukrainian tailor and a Nigerian interior decorator."

RIP AA Gill

HH

A very witty man, but slightly politically incorrect by recent American standards (at least on our college campuses....). I have to agree with him on the Egyptian "cuisine", having been to an Egyptian wedding. But I take great umbrage at his negativity towards Ukrainian taylors, mine does a fine job at converting my old blue jeans into short pants.

On a gastronomical bright note, I have finally located a couple of purveyors of decent cheese within a reasonable drive of the palazzo! And they let you taste before buying! Almost unheard of in chain-store dominated SoCal. Picked up a mild blue, a very nice goat, a triple cream Brie-like, and a white cheddar-like. All California artisanal cheeses. Plus imported Swiss and asiago. Had to leave an arm and a leg behind though :eek: Too bad most of the neanderthals coming to our party would probably prefer Velveeta...

A very witty man, but slightly politically incorrect by recent American standards (at least on our college campuses....). I have to agree with him on the Egyptian "cuisine", having been to an Egyptian wedding. But I take great umbrage at his negativity towards Ukrainian taylors, mine does a fine job at converting my old blue jeans into short pants.

On a gastronomical bright note, I have finally located a couple of purveyors of decent cheese within a reasonable drive of the palazzo! And they let you taste before buying! Almost unheard of in chain-store dominated SoCal. Picked up a mild blue, a very nice goat, a triple cream Brie-like, and a white cheddar-like. All California artisanal cheeses. Plus imported Swiss and asiago. Had to leave an arm and a leg behind though :eek: Too bad most of the neanderthals coming to our party would probably prefer Velveeta...

Don't knock Velveeta. In college, Ro-Tel dip was considered exotic......At least at Bama. Still like the stuff. Oddly, dear doggy won't touch the stuff. Wonder Why???:eek:

Don't knock Velveeta. In college, Ro-Tel dip was considered exotic......At least at Bama. Still like the stuff. Oddly, dear doggy won't touch the stuff. Wonder Why???:eek:

You know, back in our college days, planning a party for 60 guests meant spreading the word you were having a party and that it was BYOB. All the host had to provide was a bottle opener, and maybe a big bag of potato chips (crisps to you Brits). Miss those days.... Mrs D and I are near catatonic from the stress of getting ready for our Christmas party :(

You know, back in our college days, planning a party for 60 guests meant spreading the word you were having a party and that it was BYOB. All the host had to provide was a bottle opener, and maybe a big bag of potato chips (crisps to you Brits). Miss those days.... Mrs D and I are near catatonic from the stress of getting ready for our Christmas party :(

All good practice for you when Jim and Hum arrive on your doorstep !

Note: Must have the vintage champagne (12 bottles) chilled at least 24 hours beforehand.

And it's Beluga we like.

Dont worry about crisps (chips in Trumpland).

Toodle-pip !!!

That''s good, both are on sale at our local Bevmo. We'll stock up on the caviar and keep it in the freezer until you arrive. Dom 2006 ok? It should keep ok out in the shed.

DP is Hum's favourite !

Suppose the saying is true "if you don't ask, you don't get" but all the same your company, beer and a Mexican meal will do us fine.

Not sure when you are heading out Mr. Hum but Y'all board this Saturday, right? So Bon Voyage to Ho-Hum and Blondie.

Hum and Blondie - Happy sailings on your upcoming fun. Keep us informed of the on-goings whenever you have proper internet. Look forward to sailing with you both one day. March 4th can't get here fast enough.

Cheers

Tiki

Thanks Jim.

Thanks Tiki.

Hum and Blondie are soon off on our three "tiny" weeks on SDII: a week before Xmas until a week after New Year (Hum notified Santa of his travel plans so prompt delivery of his Xmas order should arrive on time though the Bentley will be delivered to Hum House in Poshland).

Hum is in need of rest and recuperation from the "trials of life" (wine orders mixed up and the like) and to escape part of a dreary winter in Poshland though to be honest the days have been really quite lovely, bright but chilly: St. Emilion wine weather even a Gran Reservation Rioja, it's that mild.

Why the heck is it, that after months and months of laconic responses from solicitor's, an accountant and the rest, that as soon as they realise that you are likely not to be available, they suddenly rush to finalise matters issuing urgent letters, mails etc.. so they can present their respective bills.

Hum's response: jolly well wait until Hum is good and ready, a week after Hum returns and remind them that Hum will be checking their bills scrupulously ! Season's Greetings ! And don't email !

Now whilst Hum is away there are a few things Hum would like to impart:

- Uncle Jim will be taking over keeping you entertained, informed etc... he doesn't know that til now

- to paraphrase the words of JFK, "do not ask what idle jottings can do for you, but what can YOU post on idle jottings". Oh Hum has heard it all (the lame excuses: "I can't write"). Look, throw a line in: it does not have to be here, it can be anywhere. There all sorts of curious characters here and we will be gentle, promise. We are a nice crowd and we have something to say. Yes most of it is drivel but it's funny drivel.

- please no squabbling between you all: the last time Hum was away, you all got really feisty over that nice and mis-understood Mr. Trump and those peace keeping guns. OK, you all "kissed and made up" and that is testimony to your true characters though any hint of criticism of yours truly must be reported, the blasphemer denounced and sent to a Gulag in Siberia with no supper !

- you are to be good boys and girls otherwise Santa won't visit you

And finally, Seasons Greetings to you all !!

You are very special people.

Thanks to Host Dan too and why not, he has been very tolerant and supportive.

That's all Hum has to say ..............for a while........in fact for quite a while........it is time for spiritual contemplation, study and shenanigans with chums.

Besides you will all be busy with family and stuff, Hum would not want to intrude on your special time with stories of eating, drinking, partying, the occasional altercation (though nothing to "top" Jim's "shoot out at the Anguilla taxi rank"), fashion observations, silliness.......oh no it would be unfair and in-appropriate to hear from His Smugness, don't you agree (rhetorical).

Have a wonderful trip, Hum & Blondie. I am disappointed that the I and the II do not meet at all during the 11 days we will be on the I. Would have loved to meet up for a drink and toast the New Year and future SD voyages.

Have a wonderful trip, Hum & Blondie. I am disappointed that the I and the II do not meet at all during the 11 days we will be on the I. Would have loved to meet up for a drink and toast the New Year and future SD voyages.

So when are you on TrapperZ ?

Both ships are in St.Barts. for New Year.

Woo-hoo !

Happy sailing to you both too.

So when are you on TrapperZ ?

Both ships are in St.Barts. for New Year.

Woo-hoo !

Happy sailing to you both too.

We board January 2nd in Barbados. I put the itineraries of the I and II next to each other and checked each day. Never in the same place at the same time.

We board January 2nd in Barbados. I put the itineraries of the I and II next to each other and checked each day. Never in the same place at the same time.

Embark on 2nd ? Not 3rd ?

Well anyway, whichever it is, have a great time.

"Back to back" gives you a very nice discount and if you booked onboard !

Kerching-kerching

Smart lady that Zimmy......and your goodself too, of course.

And 11 days makes it all worthwhile.

Merry Christmas ho-hum! (We got your little missive, thanks, and we assume that was you singing...).

I hesitate to mention this (no I don't!) for fear it will spoil your holiday, but... Mrs D has now decided that the wine cruise may be rather droll, and she actually said: "We should go to London instead, and visit that ho-hum character" :o

Now you will spend your whole trip worrying about it, and scheming how to get out of it... Sleep will not come easy to you :eek:

Bon voyage :)

Merry Christmas ho-hum! (We got your little missive, thanks, and we assume that was you singing...).

I hesitate to mention this (no I don't!) for fear it will spoil your holiday, but... Mrs D has now decided that the wine cruise may be rather droll, and she actually said: "We should go to London instead, and visit that ho-hum character" :o

Now you will spend your whole trip worrying about it, and scheming how to get out of it... Sleep will not come easy to you :eek:

Bon voyage :)

Santa's come early !!!

Remember we are reasonable distances from Heathrow & Gatwick.

Ho-hum's regular evening sessions at TOYB will ensure that he falls asleep quite easily and that he feels like being in seventh heaven during the whole night ... :D

Hum being quiet??? Really??? Whoops! Just saw a flock of pigs fly by. Hum has too much inside he must let out.....:eek: If not, he would explode....:D

It's been "let out" chum........look !

One deflated Hum !

Early start: 04.30am !

But champagne by 07.00am !!!!!

.........and all the way to Miami: Grand Dame on BA (at pointy end).

4 hour wait in Miami then onto that 'orrible island.

Does anyone like St.Tom ?

Why ?

IMG_1467_zpsd3emaxoo.jpg