CC Help Jenn

Week of Sept 12: Favorite Excursions

Hey There!

What is favorite excursion? It can be cruise line sponsored or on your own. What did you love about it?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding

My favorite excursion was in St. Lucia. Up until our cruise out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean, we had only done excursions through the cruise line. Through reviews by other members of Cruise Critic, along with suggestions from the CC "Ports of Call" section, we decided to take a chance and book a tour on our own. It was Spencer Ambrose Jalousie Beach Break. We really, really, really wanted to see that beautiful beach between the beach between St. Lucia's famed Pitons (Jalousie Beach/Sugar Beach) and not just for the typical 90 minutes. Spencer's tour offered about four hours at the beach, so we booked. At that time, that was the best day we've ever had on a cruise. Not only was the scenery of St. Lucia and that beautiful beach (and Pitons) spectacular, but Spencer and his crew mixed and mingled with those of us on the tour, so after a while it felt like we were with friends for a day at the beach. There was enough time for great snorkeling (best snorkeling I've seen), getting pictures of that beautiful beach, swimming, enjoying the loungers with some adult beverages - just a nice, relaxing day in a gorgeous setting. Last year, we did a repeat of the itinerary and felt very comfortable booking another tour with Spencer. This time it was the Land/Sea/Beach tour so we were able to see more of St. Lucia. I can't wait to get back again and we'll be doing the "beach break" again next time.

My favorite excursion was to Denali National Park. Our guide was a college professor from Oregon who was a tour guide 2 months a year . Everyone on the tour was given a beautiful book about the park .

Our guide told us that we should look out the windows on either side and we should see bears .At that point a bear came to the door of the bus and it appeared that it wanted to join the tour.

So many to choose from but one of the first and so memorable would be Costa Rica. It was a ship's tour with a river cruise that had us see all the animals, birds and crocs, then a lovely morning tea followed by a trip into the rain forest with a forest canopy gondola ride, and also lots of different animals and birds. A very tasty lunch and return back to the ship with local beers flowing.

A day when we saw Toucans and also four cans.:p

Tianjin-Beijing: A bus accident (ours) one taxi skidded up under a dumptruck and my wife was sitting in the front seat, her nose 6 inches from the tailgate. On the way back to Tiangin, we took the CRH high speed train. There was a wreck on the highway with at least 1 or more fatalaties, we were very lucky as they held the ship for 2 hrs. People on busses from Beijing were overwhelmed. From the train to the dock, the cab drivers (3cabs)drove about 100 mph. A dumptruck pulled to the right on a 6 lane with no barrier. We went left, he turned left we went right, he backed up so we went left, all in about 3 seconds. It was like a Keystone Cops movie. Then we got to the dock and some guys with Uzis held us up, the cab driver said I'll take care of it and you run so we did.

There are so, so many to choose from, but hands down, my favorite is one we did on our own in Puerto Rico.

The tour included a hike through El Yunque Rainforest to visit a waterfall where we had plenty of time to swim and take pictures, followed by lunch and then juuuust before sundown, we hopped into a kayak and paddled out to Fajardo’s Bio Bay!

The Bio Bay was beyond breathtaking, little glowing bioluminescent creatures glowing all around you. it was just a magnificent day and I will remember it forever. I hope to take my son when he is old enough one day.

We did a dune buggy excursion in Dominican Republic. I thought it was wonderful for my young boys to see how people live that are not as fortunate as we are back here at home. It was a fun, yet educational and enlightening day!

We really enjoyed the manatee encounter in Cozumel (what amazing animals). This is probably my husband's favourite. But I think what has to have been the most fun for ME was the dune buggy excursion in Costa Maya - we were covered head to toe in mud before we finally got to the beach and had laughed so hard my sides hurt for days. So much fun.

Tianjin-Beijing: A bus accident (ours) one taxi skidded up under a dumptruck and my wife was sitting in the front seat, her nose 6 inches from the tailgate. On the way back to Tiangin, we took the CRH high speed train. There was a wreck on the highway with at least 1 or more fatalaties, we were very lucky as they held the ship for 2 hrs. People on busses from Beijing were overwhelmed. From the train to the dock, the cab drivers (3cabs)drove about 100 mph. A dumptruck pulled to the right on a 6 lane with no barrier. We went left, he turned left we went right, he backed up so we went left, all in about 3 seconds. It was like a Keystone Cops movie. Then we got to the dock and some guys with Uzis held us up, the cab driver said I'll take care of it and you run so we did.

Wow, I would hate to think what your least favourite excursion was like,:eek:

It was feeding the stingrays in Grand Cayman or Antigua. But now my favorite is feeding the manatees in Cozumel. I just enjoy interacting with wildlife.

So many to choose from over the years. I would have to say our jet ski excursion in Bermuda. I guess it's more because of the family fun we have while seeing the beautiful island of Bermuda and it's private beaches.

Helicopter tour of Taku Glacier in Alaska 2003 was amazing. The ride was so smooth and the pilot put Enya through the headphones. It was like floating over the mountains. He hugged the ground for a while flying directly toward the mountain at one point and then climbed quickly over the ridge alomst vertical and then, boom, the wide valley openned up into view.

I hate to say it was like an IMAX show because it was so much better because it was real.

Helicopter tour of Taku Glacier in Alaska 2003 was amazing. The ride was so smooth and the pilot put Enya through the headphones. It was like floating over the mountains. He hugged the ground for a while flying directly toward the mountain at one point and then climbed quickly over the ridge alomst vertical and then, boom, the wide valley openned up into view.

I hate to say it was like an IMAX show because it was so much better because it was real.

Sounds awesome, we had a similar helicopter experience in Hawaii over the Volcano.

The White Pass Railway excursion from Skagway has to be one of the best. We went up on the train and back on the bus with excellent commentary the both ways. Excursions that include lunch generally make us cringe dreading what is going to be served up as 'decent' but lunch at Caribou Crossing in the Yukon was one of the best excursion meals we have ever had. We got back to Skagway with plenty of time to explore the town before the short walk back to the ship. A totally wonderful excursion.

Hey There!

What is favorite excursion? It can be cruise line sponsored or on your own. What did you love about it?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding

Castries, St. Lucia

Last November took a cruise aboard Celebrity Summit. Friends arranged a private tour with a private company. The driver Sammy took me and my 5 friends all over the island. He was a terrific tour guide. He made sure we all got to see all of the things that we asked and added some great stops that were one of a kind. This included a rum tasting on the side of a mountain, whereby I think only 1 of us actually finished the flight, there were some super strong rums! Also, a small little restaurant in the middle of a local village which was very residential, the food was phenomenal. Best excursion so far!!!

Kevin

Castries, St. Lucia

Last November took a cruise aboard Celebrity Summit. Friends arranged a private tour with a private company. The driver Sammy took me and my 5 friends all over the island. He was a terrific tour guide. He made sure we all got to see all of the things that we asked and added some great stops that were one of a kind. This included a rum tasting on the side of a mountain, whereby I think only 1 of us actually finished the flight, there were some super strong rums! Also, a small little restaurant in the middle of a local village which was very residential, the food was phenomenal. Best excursion so far!!!

Kevin

Some of these local experiences (enhanced for the tourist) are the best tours ever,:D

My friend and I did a Discover Scuba through a private company on Grand Cayman and then did about an hour dive with the stingrays. There were only three of us on the boat along with the dive master. They gave us PVC tubes with holes in the sides that were filled with squid. The rays could smell the squid and then we could unscrew the tops to pull out a piece and feed the stingrays. We were surrounded by them. It was the most incredible thing I've ever done. They feel like silk on the bottom and sandpaper on the top.

My favorite excursion was in Rio where we saw a motel that was called the Love Hotel; that rented the rooms by the hour & we got to see beach volley ball played by soccer rules; & then visited a restaurant where they weigh the food & you pay by weight.

I just got back early this month from my first ever cruise. We sailed Alaska on the Coral Princess. My favorite excursion by far was the Kroshel Animal Refuge in Haines, Alaska. I'm an animal lover and it was amazing to see their wolverine up close. Even better when the facilitator of the refuge let the animal give him a nice toothy kiss on his face. This is an animal that a grizzly bear will give the right of way because they are so fierce.

We also saw a Lynx, a wolf and some porcupines. Their rescued bear Kitty was a treat to watch as well. It was so much fun and the care and dedication they have for their animals and the environment made my heart grow two sizes. ;-) Nothing but love and respect for what those guys do.

We had visited the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Centre when in Alaska (between Wittier and Anchorage, and that was great to see all the animals but in a more semi wild setting.

My favourite excursion was in Grand Cayman. We sailed with the original gentleman that started swimming with the Stingrays. What fun having the table top size sting rays swim through your legs.

Did an all day tour with Joyce Prince. She drove all six of us around the entire island in a comfortable air conditioned mini van with water, soda and beer provided. We went to Orient Beach, Maho Beach, Front Street. Toured Dutch and French side. Anything we wanted to do, she arranged it for us. We have used Joyce as our tour guide several times over the years. She is just wonderful and well liked by everyone we encountered on our tour.

Our favorite excursion was in Juneau Alaska flying in a helicopter to the top of a glacier and Dog Sledding. It was a gray day but you could see the beautiful blues in the ice and the dogs were just so friendly

image.jpg.7e6b4d111bf1bba31ca421599241b372.jpg

Like the first post I too loved the St. Lucia tour with Spencer, he took us everywhere and the snorkeling was amazing got to see my first octopus.

I think one of best days was on Alaska cruise in Skagway, we had our family so decided to rent car and drove into Canada, along the same route as the train. The view was great, we went to Caribou Crossing when everyone else was leaving and loading on the buses, so we had the whole area to ourselves. My husband and daughter went 4 wheeling on smallest desert, and me and my son, age 10, talked to a lady that competed with the dog racing. She spent time with my son showing him her sled and answering any questions. Then they played with the husky puppies, and then she took my son and one of the employer sons for a ride on the dog sled that they train with during the summer. With then rode up to Emerald Lake which is really pretty. Just a nice day with the family doing things that they enjoyed, and seeing the gorgeous views. And we did all that for same price as the train.

I think one of best days was on Alaska cruise in Skagway, we had our family so decided to rent car and drove into Canada, along the same route as the train. The view was great, we went to Caribou Crossing when everyone else was leaving and loading on the buses, so we had the whole area to ourselves. My husband and daughter went 4 wheeling on smallest desert, and me and my son, age 10, talked to a lady that competed with the dog racing. She spent time with my son showing him her sled and answering any questions. Then they played with the husky puppies, and then she took my son and one of the employer sons for a ride on the dog sled that they train with during the summer. With then rode up to Emerald Lake which is really pretty. Just a nice day with the family doing things that they enjoyed, and seeing the gorgeous views. And we did all that for same price as the train.

Playing with the husky puppies sounds great.:D

My favorite shore excursion was a visit to the Hopewell Rocks on a Princess cruise. Not many lines offer this excursion since it has to be low tide to allow you to be able to "walk on the bottom of the ocean" and it takes around 4 hours driving to get to and from the viewing area.

Well worth the cost of the tour and it is an experience that you will not forget. Looking at the size of the rocks in comparison to a normal sized human and then realizing that at high tide the whole area will be covered with water with only the very tops of the rocks showing is just amazing!

You need to climb down 100 steps to get to the shoreline just to give you an idea of high these rocks reach when they are not covered with water.

MARAPRINCE