Cruise Critic Community
Denverbri69

T/A bad weather experiences

Going to be doing a T/A on the K-dam in October. We will begin the T/A portion on Nov 1st. I am curious to hear bad weather stories about crossing the Atlantic during hurricane seasons. Want to be ready for any contingencies. :(:(

You will never know if you will be impacted but beginning in late Oct to Nov 30, there are fewer storms.

I was on T/A in mid Oct 2013 and return in Nov 2013 round trip Ft Lauderdale.

No issues with high seas. Maybe I was lucky

The captains ALWAYS do everything necessary to avoid storms, including, but not limited to, itinerary change, changing course as necessary, to insure ship, passenger and crew safety. Don't lose any sleep over it!

BTW: We have done 16 TA to date.....

We did a TA on the Noordam Ft Lauderdale to Rome in March a few years ago. Started out smooth seas, third day it got rough, water sloshing out of the lido pools. We missed the first port, made the others, still with rough seas. Captain came over the speaker and said we would have smooth sailing crossing the Mediterranean. As soon as we got into the Mediterranean a huge storm came up, they tied the doors to the promenade and suggested everyone return to their cabins. Pools were emptied. The next morning the seas were HUGE...I think 25 ft swells...and the disembarking meeting was quick, with most people turning a strange shade of green, including my husband. That day, the ship was pretty deserted. I am not bothered by motion sickness, so I was one of the few people out and about. Next morning at disembarking, a lot of people were banged up...bruises and bandaids. Not something I would want to repeat. People we talked to leaving the ship said they had sailed that sailing many times and the sea was like glass. Just luck of the draw. Still loved the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We've done out TAs in Spring so weather has generally been good. On the first one though we had one day of high winds and waves after leaving Bermuda so it can stir up any time of the year. But we definitely want to try a westbound TA sometime because eastbound it is a bunch of sea days followed by port-port-port-port and fly home which can get tiring really fast. We want to try the ports first then relaxing sea days on the way home. I would not be afraid of late Fall weather at all - especially on a larger ship.

My favourite ship to cross the ocean in is the Prinsendam. She handles the ocean seas very well. I was shocked when Captain Gunderson announced how high the waves were that day as it certainly didn't feel that way.

A few years ago, we were sailing on the P'dam and CC friends were on the N Amsterdam. We left within a day of each other. They had a very rough crossing (and they are experienced cruisers). We did not! I know our Captain diverted to avoid as much as he could (200 miles out of the way) and he warned us on the second last day that they had to make up the rest of the diversion and pick up speed. It was still smooth sailing :)

So, it just goes to show that even if you do crossing at the same time, you can have completely different seas and experiences.

We are all at the mercy of King Neptune ;)

We've only been on one TA and that was from Barcelona to Miami in 2007. The ship departed on December 6th, I believe. We had 3 foot seas the whole way across and it was actually a little bit disappointing! I love the motion of the ocean and unless you looked out the window, you would not have known you were moving at all. We loved all those days at sea and hope to do another TA in the future.

Edited by Taters

5 T/A under my belt. 2 April, 1 Oct, 1 Nov, 1 Dec which was the smoothest, but all were calm. Have seen much rougher seas in the mediterranean. Statiics are in your favor, enjoy!

Captain Albert was blogging from the Koningsdam a few weeks ago. They sailed through 35 foot waves and gale force 9 winds. The Captain said the ship handled that very well.

https://www.hollandamericablog.com/2016/08/09/09-aug-2016-north-norwegian-sea/

We once encountered 25' waves on the Ryndam. Only time I was ever seasick. We are on the same crossing as the O.P. so see you onboard!

Luck of the draw! Been on one eastbound and on one westbound. On the WB (Barcelona to FLL) Captain Mercer went way off course in order to avoid a weather system in our path. Captains will do that, whenever possible, in order to have a more comfortable ride for their passengers

I haven't noticed that anyone has posted about my method of telling how rough it is: do the stairs creak, constantly and loudly?

I find that this varies from ship to ship. Some are quieter than others in rough seas. It also can depend on whether or not the stabilizers are deployed.

Did 3 westbound TAs: 2 in Nov, 1 in Dec. All smooth.

But do be prepared with your choice of mitigation measures: Sea Band wrist bands, ginger tablets, green apples available onboard, Bonine or other variety of Meclizine, also available onboard but you'll want to take it before you get really feeling urpy, that's not the time to be going tot he front desk or the medical center.

m--

Zuiderdam sailed into New York last week after skirting Tropical Storm Hermine (which luckily did not reach hurricane status). Seas reached about 19' so while it was a little rough, overall not too bad. Reception desk had saltine crackers and green apples available. Pack Bonine just to be safe.:D

I am aboard the same cruise as OP on KDam . I am prepared with Sailors Friend ginger capsules for a just in case. Sure we sill be fine:)

Not sure how you can "get ready" for bad weather :). We have done more then 20 crossings and run into bad weather only twice. Hurricane season is generally winding down by October...and is not normally a major problem unless you were to have really bad weather as you near your port. Out in the Atlantic, ships do monitor weather conditions and can alter course if there are really dangerous weather conditions ahead.

Hank

:(

Going to be doing a T/A on the K-dam in October. We will begin the T/A portion on Nov 1st. I am curious to hear bad weather stories about crossing the Atlantic during hurricane seasons. Want to be ready for any contingencies. :(:(

Have been on 2 T/A's both west bound and both in Oct/Nov. Calm seas entire crossing on both.

Hope you have a pleasant voyage, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Jim

:)

Luck of the draw! Been on one eastbound and on one westbound. On the WB (Barcelona to FLL) Captain Mercer went way off course in order to avoid a weather system in our path. Captains will do that, whenever possible, in order to have a more comfortable ride for their passengers

Mercer?. Was that an early TA on the Nieuw Amsterdam? I seem to recall one like that.

We've done 3 westbound TA crossings (PDam, RDam, & NADam). All have been quite smooth but as other posters have said, the captain goes to great lengths to try to have a smooth crossing. I've never heard the stairs creak, but on the PDam when we had a forward cabin, we certainly could hear the anchors 'tapping' the side of the ship in the rougher water.

We're looking forward to our second TP cruise starting in about a week.

Do the HAL ships, in particular the Eurodam, still offer free meclizine pills at the front desk?

Has been available on every ship we have been on;). The shop also sells these drops you put behind your ear - DH says they work really well.

In late October 2014 we were in rough seas for 24 hours, 70 knot winds and 30 foot seas on Oceania's Regetta. When we hit a large wave the water would hit the windows of the library which is on the top deck. Service in the dining rooms were not suspended; just could not go outside.

Enjoy your cruise!

NA0QOAIv3uA

At the risk of sounding crass, replace the word "sailing" in the song with the word "barfing", cause if I was in that ship that's exactly what I'd be doing. LOL :D

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)