Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sloopsailor

SF to Alaska - rough water in June?

Recommended Posts

We're taking a San Francisco to Alaska round trip next June. Can we expect a smooth cruise, or are patches of rough water to be expected. Never cruised the west coast before.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been told N/B CA coast is some of the roughest seas you will experience.

 

We did a N/B Mexico to SF after a PC cruise and the last night between LA and SF was very rough. The drawers were sliding in and out and the closet door was opening and closing. But, we had been on the ship 14 days so we just rolled over and went back to sleep.

 

We have done S/B from Alaska to SF it was smooth as glass.

 

We also did a TA on a 60,000 ton but never felt the need to wear a patch.

 

However, I have been told it's best to put the patch on a day or two prior rather than try to play catch up after you feel bad.

 

I guess it's better to put it on and not need. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not expect smooth waters sailing out of San Francisco any time of year. I rarely get seasick, but if one is prone to seasickness, one should take precautions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We're taking a San Francisco to Alaska round trip next June. Can we expect a smooth cruise, or are patches of rough water to be expected. Never cruised the west coast before.

 

Thanks!

We never felt any motion sickness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a report from a person who is on that cruise right now. She reported a few bumpy nights.

 

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2399997

 

I was on this cruise almost exactly 3 years ago, and we thought it was very calm. We did hit a fair amount of fog and were pretty startled the first time the foghorn went off a 3:00 am. :)

 

So, do two reports on September cruises relate to your question about the weather next June? Not really. However, it is impossible to predict weather so far ahead. My point is that your expeirience may or may not be the same as those who take the exact same cruise just before or just after you.

 

I think the worst storm I've ever experienced was on a southbound cruise in the middle of the Gulf of Alaska. Pretty serious. (My wife thought it was pretty cool. I told her we paid extra to get the storm. :)) That should not concern you. Your itinerary won't be taking you there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have been told N/B CA coast is some of the roughest seas you will experience.

 

We did a N/B Mexico to SF after a PC cruise and the last night between LA and SF was very rough. The drawers were sliding in and out and the closet door was opening and closing. But, we had been on the ship 14 days so we just rolled over and went back to sleep.

 

We have done S/B from Alaska to SF it was smooth as glass.

 

.

 

Having sailed the coast several times, our roughest experience in 20 cruises was sailing into San Juan de Fuca, which is how you get to Seattle. In a different sailing we sailed into hurricane force winds off the California coast, again headed to Seattle, and didn't feel a thing.

 

However, for consistency of rough seas, the Tasman Sea (between New Zealand and Australia) is probably worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done this itinerary no less than a dozen times ... mostly quite rough sailing north out of San Francisco in any month. I would note, though, that one time we had calm seas in May several years ago and unbelievably calm seas this past August. It all depends on the weather and seas during the particular time you are onboard. I never even imagined the seas could be as calm as what we saw this past August. The cruise before ours encountered very rough seas. You cannot predict it a year out. Be sure to book down low and midship if you are worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how a weather person would describe it. There is a 40% chance it may be good and a 60% chance it may be rough it all depends on the weather :D

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

However, for consistency of rough seas, the Tasman Sea (between New Zealand and Australia) is probably worse.

 

 

That's the truth! I have been to Alaska in June and in Sept and in between. This trip this week was the roughest I remember.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We're taking a San Francisco to Alaska round trip next June. Can we expect a smooth cruise, or are patches of rough water to be expected. Never cruised the west coast before.

 

Thanks!

 

Rough waters indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northbound on the west coast means you're going against the current and against the wind. Leaving San Francisco is usually a little bumpy.

 

However, we were on Coral last June from Los Angeles to Vancouver. We had some of the smoothest seas I have ever had! It was rock solid and no motion all the way up the western US and into Canada.

 

So, plan for a bumpy ride at first and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, plan for the worst and expect the best.

 

Those of us on the West Coast can usually pick out the Caribbean cruisers. Almost every West Cruise cruise has some sort of roll. Remember it's not bad until the bags are on the wall and the crew turns green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did the Alaska r/t from San Francisco in August of 2013. We were expecting some rough seas, but it was smooth sailing every day. Great trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK having taken this Alaska cruise approx. 6 to 7 times over the recent years, You never know what seas you will get.

 

Good News: rough seas are generally the first day only leaving SF.

 

All but 2 of our trips were no problem. several years ago, we were on an HAL ship that had a huge bowl of candy at the front desk. Hubby and I woke up one morning and saw no candy, just dramamine put into the bowl. We never got seasick but a huge percentage of people did.

 

Then two years ago we took the trip again and the seas were so rough that no one was allowed on their balconies nor any exterior of the ship for at least the first day. Can't remember if it lasted longer than that. But really rough seas.

 

Last year had the smoothest sailing to Alaska ever. I have gone in May, June, August and September. Guess I need to try July next time. lol

 

Have a great trip and forget about the sea part. Be prepared and you will do fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...