Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

Ahhhhh relief. ;) Now I don't have to obsessively check for updates but I will have to patiently wait for January which I will happily do. I can't not have a Norris ramble to read.

Your narrative and incredible pics are fabulous. I just wish you both were retired so you could travel more and we could have more rambles to read.

Thank you so much for all the hard and time consuming work you put into you reviews. It is much appreciated. Barb

Barb, hopefully we will get to enjoy our retirement by taking more trips and if we still have the cruising bug I'll get to share the adventures on CC.

In the meantime there are two cruises on X to plan for and we're each holding an FCC for a future Princess one. Check the X board on January 23.

I'm glad you clicked on this review and stayed with it until the end.

Thanks for the many compliments along the way!

Norris

Thank you so much for the detailed review and great read! We are going on this cruise next Aug. and I have taken detailed notes of so much you have said.

As we decide between a Princess transfer to Anchorage or an independent line, I had a question about Egan... I tried to find it on googlemaps and the only thing that came up was the Egan Convention center - which seems to be a block away from the Hilton you mentioned....so could very well be the Princess Egan...

Are these one in the same? Does Princess have a section of the convention center as their own or is "Egan" just a popular name and the PRincess location is something totally different?

Then...is there a place there (at Egan) to print boarding passes?

Thanks!

Edited by rgmacm

Hi Norris,

We just got off the Star (on Wed.) and I have been trying to catch up with your review. But, I'm only on page 31, so thought I should just go ahead now and post. We LOVED the captain!!! OMG, he is so out-there! In Nanaimo, BC, (one of our ports) there is a cannon in town that they shoot off at noon when a ship is in port. Well, guess who shot off the cannon. Yes, you guessed it! Captain Tuvo. He called bingo a few times, had a question and answer session in the piazza, came into the dining room at breakfast time and greeted people table by table, just to name a few things that most captains don't ever do. We loved the cruise (B2B 17 days) and thought the crew was fantastic. I think the fact that the crew was so happy had lots to do with the captain and his good nature.

Thank you so much for your excellent review and great pictures! I'll be looking forward to your next review!! Meredith

Thank you so much for the detailed review and great read! We are going on this cruise next Aug. and I have taken detailed notes of so much you have said.

As we decide between a Princess transfer to Anchorage or an independent line, I had a question about Egan... I tried to find it on googlemaps and the only thing that came up was the Egan Convention center - which seems to be a block away from the Hilton you mentioned....so could very well be the Princess Egan...

Are these one in the same? Does Princess have a section of the convention center as their own or is "Egan" just a popular name and the PRincess location is something totally different?

Then...is there a place there (at Egan) to print boarding passes?

Thanks!

The Egan Convention Center is the same one-a block from the Hilton, 3 or 4 blocks from the Captain Cook Hotel and right across from the park with the flowers.

Princess books a cavernous space in the summer on the lower level and use it twice a week...usually Saturday and Wednesday this past season for the ships sailing from Whittier to Vancouver. They also have a desk in the Captain Cook the day before a cruise and luggage can be sent from there to the ship, which is what I did when we sailed the Coral.

I don't recall there being computers to print boarding passes. Hotels have them and so does the ship so we've never needed to ask.

I would encourage anyone else who has a question to ask me here. If I know the answer I'll be happy to help-which is what CC is all about.

Thanks for your question! And thanks for reading my "stuff".

Norris

Norris,

A final thank you for your wonderful review. I'll be checking in on Jan 23.

Judy

Judy it's always great to have your enthusiasm along on my epics and I thank you for your continual input.

You always respond well to my photos and that helps me to keep trying harder to take good pics. I have an interest in photography since getting a worthy camera and it's becoming a passion now. I've been taking notes from some really good photographers (who are good explainers) on Youtube and am on Amazon and Youtube daily looking at Canon cameras and lenses with a view to getting better pictures consistently. I'm not looking to get into debt though so won't go bonkers just yet. There are some better lenses within my reach though and some better cameras. With that said the camera I use is well respected by these pro photographers and even though I have had it for 4 years I still haven't used all its features or potential. So I could get away with a lens upgrade.

I'd be thrilled if you showed up in my Reflection review-such a stunning ship design that I am eager to experience again.

See you January 23!!

Norris

What an awesome review. Thank you very much.

Ah! a new name....thanks for responding and for the compliments!

I hope you'll check in again in January.

I am very partial to the Celebrity S Class design. Eye candy!

X provides a great relaxing cruise experience.

I'm glad you stopped by to let me know you were reading along.

Cheers!

Norris

Hi Norris,

We just got off the Star (on Wed.) and I have been trying to catch up with your review. But, I'm only on page 31, so thought I should just go ahead now and post. We LOVED the captain!!! OMG, he is so out-there! In Nanaimo, BC, (one of our ports) there is a cannon in town that they shoot off at noon when a ship is in port. Well, guess who shot off the cannon. Yes, you guessed it! Captain Tuvo. He called bingo a few times, had a question and answer session in the piazza, came into the dining room at breakfast time and greeted people table by table, just to name a few things that most captains don't ever do. We loved the cruise (B2B 17 days) and thought the crew was fantastic. I think the fact that the crew was so happy had lots to do with the captain and his good nature.

Thank you so much for your excellent review and great pictures! I'll be looking forward to your next review!! Meredith

Meredith, I am glad you experienced Captain Tuvo after I have been saluting him in my ramble. He's a Prince in the Dino Sagani mould and Princess is lucky to have him. He's all over the place as you have described-and he doesn't have to be. He loves his job and he's very respectful towards his crew. Yes he does run a happy ship, I'd say.He sets the tone and motivates his staff to follow.

Next review will find you on the Celebrity Reflection....have you read my Silhouette review??

Cheers and thank you for reading this long thing.

Norris

Snowy is a beautiful cat. I can see why you miss her.

Carol, that is so neat that you will be visiting your Mother's homeland. Enjoy your trip.

Norris, thanks again for another beautiful pictorial of your cruise.

Seeing the fireweed in full bloom in your photo is kind of sad as it denotes the end of Summer.

It was nice to see the Conservation Center with green grass. The last time we saw it was in Spring and it was very muddy.

Just around the corner from the JC Penney Building with the whale murial is the Alaska State Trooper museum. So much is within a short walk in downtown Anchorage.

Enjoy your next cruise and looking forward to your review.

Margie

Norris,

Thanks for the review. I have to live vicariously through your Alaska reviews as I am having a hard time convincing the DW that we should do an Alaska cruise. She is of the opinion that vacations away from the Midwest should be to warm locales. I'm still working on her, though. I may just have to book one and not tell her until after final payment.

Thank You Norris I totally agree with Kauai Kid. I hope someday we meet on a cruise so I can shake your hand and thank you in person. :)

Tony

Thanks for the nice sentiment Tony!

I meet quite a few people on each cruise-some for 5 minutes and some daily and am always surprised when I mention CC and get a blank stare. On this cruise I met one man who knew of it- "the wife reads it". I wrote down the instructions on how to find the review of the Star and passed it to a couple of people. I hope they have used it to explore the vast amount of info available to cruisers here.

I hope you'll visit again in January.

Norris

Another brilliant review, Norris!!! Love your pictures and you witty remarks! Look forward to the review in January, which is right when I will be coming off the Crown around SA!

Cheers,

Tracy

PS--thanks for reminding me how to change my signature in my CC profile!

Barb, hopefully we will get to enjoy our retirement by taking more trips and if we still have the cruising bug I'll get to share the adventures on CC.

In the meantime there are two cruises on X to plan for and we're each holding an FCC for a future Princess one. Check the X board on January 23.

I'm glad you clicked on this review and stayed with it until the end.

Thanks for the many compliments along the way!

Norris

Norris;

What are your plans, if you don't mind me asking, on X.....

Bob

I can too- the most memorable meals-over many years;

Les Celebrites, Essex Hotel NY (French chef Alain Ducasse)

Fleur de Lys, San Francisco (French Chef Hubert Keller)

11 Madison NY Swiss Chef

Hyatt Cologne Germany Swiss Chef

Hotel Schweizerhof, Lucerne, Swiss Chef

The 5 most outstanding meals that I remember. 5 star or Michelin Star dining but I still get excited over the Pub Lunch.

Norris

I wish I had known this a week ago. While I did start reading this thread after you had disembarked and before last week, I hadn't gotten to this particular post. Last weekend we did the Essex Steam train and probably could have eaten there while we were in Essex. That's ok--it's only 1.5 hours from my house, so it may have to be a road trip.

Pat, are you asking me?

If so- because I am addicted to aft suites it would be the Star as the Coral doesn't have any.

However-the Coral is a beauty indeed and has 1,000 less passengers and big wide promenade decks that would reduce a man like me to tears. It also has a great smoking lounge with a view-again that's a plus for me, probably not you.

Both are Princess ships which mean they are great to sail on in terms of food and service and entertainment. Coral sailed on Wednesdays this year so that was not good for us. I would happily sail on her again.

Princess is long established in Alaska and know what they are doing.

Norris

I know you mentioned at the front end of your report you did not choose Island Princess because of the ugly makeover. But like you, I like an aft cabin. And this ship gave me that opportunity without the price of a suite. While I'd love a suite, it's not in the budget for our Sept. 2017 Alaska cruise.

On another note, this is my first Princess cruise and my first reading of one of your trip reports! You do an amazing job and I am savoring every post. Thank you for taking the time. BTW--Your pictures are just the best!!!

Hi Norris: really enjoyed your review and your photos are second to none..absolutely beautiful! Only one correction...Ted Williams has absolutely no connection with Anchorage to warrant an airport naming (don't think he ever played baseball there🤔) the correct name/person is Ted STEVENS, who was in public service for > 60 yrs, majority of service was as a US Senator from AK. So..you flew out of the Ted STEVENS Intnl Airport.

So glad you made it home safe and sound and I bet your little Snowy didn't let you out of her sight for weeks!

Looking foward to following along on yours and Carol's next adventure!

Thank you Norris for yet another excellent review and your even excellenter photos. I enjoyed it immensely. Appreciate all the time and effort you put into these sagas and look forward to your next one in January.:)

Snowy is a beautiful cat. I can see why you miss her.

Carol, that is so neat that you will be visiting your Mother's homeland. Enjoy your trip.

Norris, thanks again for another beautiful pictorial of your cruise.

Seeing the fireweed in full bloom in your photo is kind of sad as it denotes the end of Summer.

It was nice to see the Conservation Center with green grass. The last time we saw it was in Spring and it was very muddy.

Just around the corner from the JC Penney Building with the whale murial is the Alaska State Trooper museum. So much is within a short walk in downtown Anchorage.

Enjoy your next cruise and looking forward to your review.

Margie

Margie it was good having you along once again!

Carol's experience in Jamaica makes it sound like a different Jamaica from the one I experienced 30 years ago but I only ever went to Ocho Rios....44 times.

Now there's Falmouth where visitors will say don't walk outside the port area and book an excursion. Ocho Rios was not a relaxing place unless you got a thrill ride beater taxi and visited a hotel with it's own beach where you could avoid pestering. That was my tactic as I visited the Sans Souci Hotel and used their beach regularly.

Shaw Park Gardens was a nice place to visit-like all gardens it was beautiful and quiet and no one followed me offering to braid my hair or " a good smoke".

I went horse riding -again up in the mountains away from the basket sellers who would grab my arm to get me into their shop. I would have to coat my arms in English Channel Swimmer's Grease to counter that.

I had a couple of people asking me to smuggle them on board the ship (huh?) so they could escape the poverty.

The landscape was beautiful of course but the people too desperate for it to be a relaxing stop. We'll be taking an excursion and definitely not renting a car.

Thanks for the good wishes re our next cruise. There are 3 new islands for Carol-none for me but I am interested to revisit them after 30 years.

Cheers and thank you!

Norris