Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Another marvelously entertaining cruise blog by you, Norris! Thank you, and keep cruising (on any cruise line), so we can keep enjoying your blogs!

Thank you for coming out of the shadows to let me know you were reading and enjoying! Much appreciated.

I hope to sail on a few other cruise lines. There are some I have little interest in after reading copious reviews and seeing their ships and some I am keen to try.

X was one and that worked out well.

Thank you for the compliments on the "entertainment factor".

Speaking of blogs, mine has been sadly neglected now for 6 weeks...

Cheers!

Norris

Norris,

Thanks for the review. I have to live vicariously through your Alaska reviews as I am having a hard time convincing the DW that we should do an Alaska cruise. She is of the opinion that vacations away from the Midwest should be to warm locales. I'm still working on her, though. I may just have to book one and not tell her until after final payment.

Thanks for reading!

The beauty of an Alaskan cruise is that it can only happen between May and September when the Midwest is often like a broiler oven. Going somewhere cooler is an attractive option for us. In January we escape the cold of the Midwest by going somewhere warm/hot in the Caribbean.

Has she read this review? No interest in the scenic beauty/wildlife?

Norris

Another brilliant review, Norris!!! Love your pictures and you witty remarks! Look forward to the review in January, which is right when I will be coming off the Crown around SA!

Cheers,

Tracy

PS--thanks for reminding me how to change my signature in my CC profile!

Tracy, I am glad you followed along over the past 6 weeks and thanks for the compliments!

Crown around SA has a nice ring to it and is on the bucket list for when we can take longer cruises.

I'll see you on the Reflection!

Norris

BRAVO BRAVO.......standing ovation!!!!!!!

Thank you!

It is always good to see your name popping up in my reviews!

Next one begins in Miami...

Norris

Norris;

What are your plans, if you don't mind me asking, on X.....

Bob

Bob, so glad to see you joining me here!

My plans are to continue raising my relaxation skills to an Art Form.

I know we are spending the day before the cruise (Friday Jan 13! Unlucky?) in Miami, a place I haven't seen since 1986 when I stepped off the Song of Norway for the last time. A day after will be spent there too in a small Marriott beach hotel in South Beach.

On the ship we will make a point to visit Michael's Club on day one and introduced ourselves to the concierge and when she asks what she can do for us I'll answer-get us an invite to a Heli-deck sailaway.

We'll definitely be eating in a few specialty restaurants and hopefully try Qsine this time.

Itinerary sees us in Cozumel where we will take a waterfront Segway ride but that's the only excursion we are fixed on. Cayman , Jamaica (Falmouth) and Labadee (beach) are not booked yet and we haven't discussed-but soon will.

We'll rent one of the Alcoves for sure on one or two days.

We'll eat well and see all the shows on offer.

We'll enjoy our aft suite on the corner of deck 7.

It's a cruise that will take shape in the planning but of course once my feet hit the grass on deck 14 I'll be in Norris mode....drifting along taking photos and sipping a cool Guinness and seeing what happens day by day between meals.

If all goes well while onboard we will book the Eclipse to Norway August 26th as we love the itinerary.

Cheers Bob!

Norris

I wish I had known this a week ago. While I did start reading this thread after you had disembarked and before last week, I hadn't gotten to this particular post. Last weekend we did the Essex Steam train and probably could have eaten there while we were in Essex. That's ok--it's only 1.5 hours from my house, so it may have to be a road trip.

I know you mentioned at the front end of your report you did not choose Island Princess because of the ugly makeover. But like you, I like an aft cabin. And this ship gave me that opportunity without the price of a suite. While I'd love a suite, it's not in the budget for our Sept. 2017 Alaska cruise.

On another note, this is my first Princess cruise and my first reading of one of your trip reports! You do an amazing job and I am savoring every post. Thank you for taking the time. BTW--Your pictures are just the best!!!

Hi and let me start by correcting something- I mentioned the Essex hotel but should have typed Essex House Hotel on Central Park in NYC. Sorry for the confusion!! That restaurant is long gone from the hotel and we don't stay there anymore.

Island Princess I am sure still sails full regardless of the botched makeover. If you had sailed on the Coral though you would see the Island as many see her now. However if you have an aft cabin you are ahead of the game as the Coral has none. Both ships will get you to Alaska in style and comfort and you will have a great experience.

You may get hooked on Princess as we did!

Thanks for reading my review and for the compliments. I hope you'll be curious enough to click on any of my reviews going forward and if you like the photos then expect them to improve as I am working on getting better and adding to my camera equipment. My next cruise is on a stunning ship so I'll be snapping away day and night.

Best wishes,

Norris

Hi Norris: really enjoyed your review and your photos are second to none..absolutely beautiful! Only one correction...Ted Williams has absolutely no connection with Anchorage to warrant an airport naming (don't think he ever played baseball there🤔) the correct name/person is Ted STEVENS, who was in public service for > 60 yrs, majority of service was as a US Senator from AK. So..you flew out of the Ted STEVENS Intnl Airport.

So glad you made it home safe and sound and I bet your little Snowy didn't let you out of her sight for weeks!

Looking foward to following along on yours and Carol's next adventure!

Thanks for correcting the name of the airport!! Doh!!

60 years of Senatoring and along I come and give the kudos to a baseball player!

Snowy is upping her cuteness game to try and convince us to stay home forever.

Boy is she in for a let-down!

I hope you'll visit my X review in January- I am canvassing hard on that one, kissing babies and shaking hands. Celebrity really hit the ball out of the park with the S Class design and the onboard experience is very good.

See you there?

Norris, and I endorse this message.

29851551042_f7ff954955_b.jpg

The following photos aren't great but to get better from way back in the theater I would have had to use the huge zoom lens and would have (a) looked like an idiot and (b) distracted others. There's a lot of glare from the lights on anything white but they may give you the flavor. There's a 7 piece band and a whole posse of singers and dancers- I counted 24 performers on stage during some songs!

It was a show featuring songs before the Beatles arrived to change pop music and I knew all of them-Catch a Falling Star and Put it in Your Pocket (which is impossible) will give you the gist. So basically songs from the 1950s but sung well.

29882347211_da8fcd3efe_b.jpg

29882351291_c59290a760_b.jpg

As always the sound is loud and clear as Princess has invested in state of the art ship systems.The 7 piece band, with brass, are flawless.

29882355571_3fbb830beb_b.jpg

29882358891_5eab937342_b.jpg

Great sound, lighting and talented giving it their all performers. A fast paced show with costume changes. It only lasts 35 to 40 minutes and then we are leaving. Interesting for me to note is the number of people who couldn't get seats and were standing at both sides and rear-easily 100 people. The room seats 700. We wait until the crowd has passed before getting up.

29851548642_1ba40c1579_b.jpg

Also interesting- the bar waiters who wander the aisles before the show and their lack of hustle and no doubt profitable receipts. They are the eye-contact avoiders and are skilled at looking right at you but apparently not seeing your waving arms.

"look-over here! I'm dying of thirst. Yes I have money and wish to buy a drink!"

He turns and walks away wondering why no one is buying tonight.

Do you know if they have this show on Island Princess? My mother would love this show, I think. Also, was this show and formal night both on night 1?

Thank you Norris for yet another excellent review and your even excellenter photos. I enjoyed it immensely. Appreciate all the time and effort you put into these sagas and look forward to your next one in January.:)

LC, thanks for following one of my reviews again-you've been a constant and I always appreciate friends from Down Under tuning in.

Cheers!

Norris

Do you know if they have this show on Island Princess? My mother would love this show, I think. Also, was this show and formal night both on night 1?

Hi, I can't speak to the show being on the Island.

Formal night was the 2nd day-at sea. I haven't read the review yet so can't say for sure that the show was on Formal Night, but believe it was.

Princess will have a good show or two for you on the Island- you can rely on that!

Norris

Thank you once again for another fabulous review, I really enjoy reading every post and your photo's are amazing.....I will look out for your next one in January.

Thank you for reading and for the compliments Izabelle!

My Ship Mate countdown says 73 days until our next cruise...

Norris

Bimmer09- Just caught up to, and devoured, this review! Astounding! Many thanks!

yuccaman, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the compliment!

Norris

Hi Norris:

I popped in about mid-way thru to tell you how much I was enjoying this review. I've finished now & wow, so much fun to read! I'll be showing my husband these pictures & reading your other Alaska reports too. I really can't wait until we go in 2018. I think we'll be sailing on Royal instead of Princess though. We'll be sailing with our 17yr. old son (at time of cruise) & I think Royal will be a better fit for that cruise.

I did actually start your 1st Med. trip report last night. I love your pictures of Rome! It brings back such happy memories of our Med cruise in 2014. We also used Rome in Limo & would absolutely recommend them! In fact, I just did to a friend of my husbands and they also came back with glowing reviews of RIL.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Tina

Hi Norris:

I popped in about mid-way thru to tell you how much I was enjoying this review. I've finished now & wow, so much fun to read! I'll be showing my husband these pictures & reading your other Alaska reports too. I really can't wait until we go in 2018. I think we'll be sailing on Royal instead of Princess though. We'll be sailing with our 17yr. old son (at time of cruise) & I think Royal will be a better fit for that cruise.

I did actually start your 1st Med. trip report last night. I love your pictures of Rome! It brings back such happy memories of our Med cruise in 2014. We also used Rome in Limo & would absolutely recommend them! In fact, I just did to a friend of my husbands and they also came back with glowing reviews of RIL.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Tina

Hello again-first Med trip- Venice to Rome on the Ocean Princess? Yes that was a highlight of our cruises up to that time, maybe bettered by our Rome to Barcelona in 2015 one as it gave us a lot of Italy in one week (not complaining about that!)

Royal Caribbean is probably a good fit for your son. You won't get to sail Glacier Bay though but once you visit Alaska you will be back and maybe can sail on Princess next time.

I'm glad you are enjoying my reviews!

Norris

I feel kind of sad and empty like at the end of a vacation; the end of Norris' epic trip report; thank you for much for your pictures, your humor, and letting us escape each day to the ship and Alaska and elsewhere. You know I will be anxiously following along in January. Loved the blurb from Carol. Love the Snowy pic, give her a pat for me. Take care Norris!

I feel kind of sad and empty like at the end of a vacation; the end of Norris' epic trip report; thank you for much for your pictures, your humor, and letting us escape each day to the ship and Alaska and elsewhere. You know I will be anxiously following along in January. Loved the blurb from Carol. Love the Snowy pic, give her a pat for me. Take care Norris!

Sad and empty? That's very touching but our cure for the post cruise blues is ABP...A Always B Be P Planning and although I got to extend my cruise memory by writing the review and seeing the photos I am now in Planning mode for the next and then the one after that.

It was 4 years between our Alaska cruises and for all I know could be 4 more.

Our Caribbean cruises in January are not bucket list items but are convenient and enjoyable winter escapes. Only the Panama Canal would be considered a bucket list.

Norwegian Fjords have been on my bucket list and once I showed them to Carol via Miaminice's review...

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Norway/Norway-07/norway-07.html

they convinced Carol to get excited. So we are planning for that although not until we are on the Reflection as booking onboard gives us small deposits and a raft of perks. If it doesn't happen next August then there's always another year.

I'm glad you tuned into the review each day and enjoyed it.

I'm luckily off work today as the streets of Chicago are a mess as the Cubs are riding through town in a bus and we live by Grant Park where the masses are gathered. 3 helicopters and 2 small planes are circling overhead so it's a good day to look at some shore excursions for January. I'm looking forward to returning to islands I haven't seen since 1986 and this time I am armed with a good camera.

Thanks for your kind comments!

Norris

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I am just popping in to invite those interested to pop over to the Celebrity Board and read my new review of our cruise on the Celebrity Reflection which just ended yesterday in Miami.

Please pop in and say hello (or type it at least) and see what fun we had!

Click this....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52078857#post52078857

Norris

Hi all, I am just popping in to invite those interested to pop over to the Celebrity Board and read my new review of our cruise on the Celebrity Reflection which just ended yesterday in Miami.

Click this....

Norris

YAYYYY on my way!

Click this....

Norris

Hello Norris,

Glad to see you had a respite from the Great American Freeze and Flood. I have persuaded my DH to let me book a window suite on the Grand Princess next January, but I'm not sure if I will be able to finagle another short cruise before then. We both love being on the water, however he prefers to be in command of his own little vessel, which right now is a 16' fishing boat with a bucket latrine. :D I will enjoy cruising vicariously in the meantime. :rolleyes:

Hello Norris,

Glad to see you had a respite from the Great American Freeze and Flood. I have persuaded my DH to let me book a window suite on the Grand Princess next January, but I'm not sure if I will be able to finagle another short cruise before then. We both love being on the water, however he prefers to be in command of his own little vessel, which right now is a 16' fishing boat with a bucket latrine. :D I will enjoy cruising vicariously in the meantime. :rolleyes:

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I think the bucket latrines have been considered as cutbacks on some of the lines.

Meantime in my X Reflection review we have indoor plumbing.

Pop on over and see what "Modern Luxury" is all about!

Cheers!

Norris

• 2 months later...
Great review. Thank you!

Thank you! I'm glad you took the time to read it.

I hope you will tune in for my Regal Princess review to New England and Canada. It will show up on the boards on October 22 when we get home to Chicago.

Norris