Boston and Head of the Charles weekend

karylrocks

We will be staying in Boston Oct. 21-23 before our cruise and planning on using Upper Deck Trolley Tours HOHO all day on the 22nd to visit downtown, Harvard, and MIT. Wondering if we will encounter any problems with excessive crowds on that day? I would expect that anyone there for the event will be at the event, but it did just occur to me that there might be some issues.

We will be staying in Boston Oct. 21-23 before our cruise and planning on using Upper Deck Trolley Tours HOHO all day on the 22nd to visit downtown, Harvard, and MIT. Wondering if we will encounter any problems with excessive crowds on that day? I would expect that anyone there for the event will be at the event, but it did just occur to me that there might be some issues.

Head of the Charles is centered on Memorial Drive in Cambridge, not in downtown Boston. Boston will be busy that weekend, but the crowds will be centered in Cambridge and not along Storrow Drive in Boston as they are on the 4th of July.

Good point 138E (Carol). I agree that those going to the HotC Regatta are situated around the Charles not hopping the trolley. When I had gone to the HotC in the past, I'd take the T (Redline).

The only thing I'd think about is traffic, but the trolley is driving so sit back and enjoy. I looked at the website and it seems like they have a drop off at the Harvard Museum of Natural History (very nice by the way), so you'll be a block or two further away from the HotC crowds. Then you can stroll through the campus. That said, there will be people aplenty Good luck.

During high traffic times, there are plenty of reports of full trolleys passing by stops, so I wouldn't count on always getting back on the trolley when you want to. With the exception of Harvard and MIT (and Uber may be your friend there, as the Red Line T will probably be packed), everything else in Boston is walkable.

I have visited Boston during Head of Charles weekend when my dd was a student at BU. Parents weekend always coincided with this weekend. I wouldn't say the crowds excessive but all the restaurants and stores crowded. Plus if Red Sox in post season play that's another addition. I know the T was always crowded but I assumed it was always like that. Lol.