Cruise Critic Community
BKLYNPONY

aft facing balcony on zuiderdam

I have an opportunity to have an aft facing balcony on a 10 day panama canal cruise (one in middle - not corner wrap) although it's on deck 8. I know the lido pool is above it. I don't believe that any noise would bother us as we are both heavy sleepers (and being from nyc we are able to tune most noise out). My question is, do you think that privacy would really only be a matter when I'm at the railing? Or is the whole balcony exposed?

Edited by BKLYNPONY

I think you have it right that not all It of your deck 8 aft cabin is exposed. We had this cabin booked for our 10-day Panama Canal cruise but changed it it an aft facing one on deck 5 in order to get more 'up close and personal' with the canal. Big bonus is that the aft veranda is much deeper on deck 5. You might want to take a look at the deck plan.

I think you have it right that not all It of your deck 8 aft cabin is exposed. We had this cabin booked for our 10-day Panama Canal cruise but changed it it an aft facing one on deck 5 in order to get more 'up close and personal' with the canal. Big bonus is that the aft veranda is much deeper on deck 5. You might want to take a look at the deck plan.

Ideally I would love one on deck 5. But as of right now it's a choice between the aft facing balcony on deck 8 or side balcony on a lower deck. My last 2 cruises were in an aft facing balcony and I just love the view of the wake. I heard others say that it may not be ideal for when we are in the Panama Canal but I figure that I would be moving around at the time anyway. I just need a little cover (for when my wife kicks me out for snoring too loudly) and was wondering if this balcony provided any. It helps that it's easy for me to fall asleep under just about any conditions

Hey Zookie, thanks for the tip. I called my TA in regards to booking the cabin on deck 8 and was talking with him about his thoughts on deck 8 and he was saying that deck 5 balconys are larger. He then said let's check to see if we can get you one. The first one he checked wasn't available. Then he was able to secure cabin 5187:D I just want to thank you for your response because I had basically resigned myself to the balcony on deck 8.

Hey Zookie, thanks for the tip. I called my TA in regards to booking the cabin on deck 8 and was talking with him about his thoughts on deck 8 and he was saying that deck 5 balconys are larger. He then said let's check to see if we can get you one. The first one he checked wasn't available. Then he was able to secure cabin 5187:D I just want to thank you for your response because I had basically resigned myself to the balcony on deck 8.

Glad to hear that you got a deck 5. They are completely covered and you will get a good look at the canal locks. Deck 4 is closer to the locks, but only about 1/2 covered.

We intentionally booked a stern cabin on the Oosterdam, deck 4. Deck 4 is at the absolute back of the ship with only the MDR below you. When you lean over the railing (not too far, of course), you are looking directly down to the water and the beautiful wake of the props. The rear of most of these HAL ships are tiered, with each deck above deck 4 are further back from the one below it. On deck 5, 6, 7 & 8, if you look down, you see the decks below you. Deck 4 has partial shade, which is perfect if one in your cabin likes to sunbathe, while the other wants shade. Deck 5 stern cabins have more shade, and they vary as you go up. Only deck 8 has a noise problem, due to the Lido and aft pool being above you. That's why the deck 8 stern cabins are the last to go. All stern cabins have huge balconies, and if you don't get 2 lounge chairs on yours, ask your cabin steward early for one.

Enjoy your deck 5 stern cabin, which is definitely great for Panama Canal transits.

We love the deck 5 aft staterooms. We've had the aft corner wrap for the Panama Canal and it is wonderful. Those balconies are very deep and because of that there is a lot of privacy when you're not out by the rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We intentionally booked a stern cabin on the Oosterdam, deck 4. Deck 4 is at the absolute back of the ship with only the MDR below you. When you lean over the railing (not too far, of course), you are looking directly down to the water and the beautiful wake of the props. The rear of most of these HAL ships are tiered, with each deck above deck 4 are further back from the one below it. On deck 5, 6, 7 & 8, if you look down, you see the decks below you. Deck 4 has partial shade, which is perfect if one in your cabin likes to sunbathe, while the other wants shade. Deck 5 stern cabins have more shade, and they vary as you go up. Only deck 8 has a noise problem, due to the Lido and aft pool being above you. That's why the deck 8 stern cabins are the last to go. All stern cabins have huge balconies, and if you don't get 2 lounge chairs on yours, ask your cabin steward early for one.

Enjoy your deck 5 stern cabin, which is definitely great for Panama Canal transits.

We've had corner afts on three of the Vistas, usually on 7, but once on 8. Yes, if you look straight down you can see part of the balconies below you, but you have to work at it, and you don't see all of the balcony. Less than half of the one below and even less of the others. All the afts give a nice wake view. If you're just standing at your railing.

We had a corner aft on deck 8 on Zuiderdam several years ago and had no noise issues.

I think any aft view would be better than the side for the canal because you can see both sides of the canal and all of the water. And you get a good view of the canal "gates." It doesn't matter that you're watching from the back. The process is the same whether you view it from the front or the back.

Hey BKLYNPONY, really happy to hear your news. Our two most recent cruises on the Eurodam and NA have been on deck 7 aft, which we love. Deck 5 will be a new experience for both of us and I think its going to be great. Wishing you a wonderful cruise. BTW, we also have 5187!!

Good move BKLYNPONY. We moved down from Deck 6 aft to 5186 for our next cruise because of the deeper balcony and bigger cabin (by nearly 30 sf). Looking forward that extra space and beautiful views of the British Isles :)

I'm looking at a cruise on Zuiderdam to the Caribbean/Canal, and I love the aft wraps. I can't get our usual deck 7. But 4, 5, 6 are available. Looking at photos on that fact site, 4 and 6 seem to have less overhang than we're used to on 7. The deck 5 wrap certainly is huge. But does it feel closed in with the complete cover? And how is it for airflow when the ship isn't moving? I like the idea of having shade in the Caribbean, but the complete cover makes me wonder if I'll feel too closed in.

Comments?

I'm looking at a cruise on Zuiderdam to the Caribbean/Canal, and I love the aft wraps. I can't get our usual deck 7. But 4, 5, 6 are available. Looking at photos on that fact site, 4 and 6 seem to have less overhang than we're used to on 7. The deck 5 wrap certainly is huge. But does it feel closed in with the complete cover? And how is it for airflow when the ship isn't moving? I like the idea of having shade in the Caribbean, but the complete cover makes me wonder if I'll feel too closed in.

Comments?

We've done the deck 5 wrap on Zuiderdam and Westerdam and LOVE them. It didn't feel closed in to us.

IMG_1475625829.415457.jpg.46cc6ead3759f5416bf036931cfafaf5.jpg

This is on Zuiderdam. As you can see, even though it is covered, it still gets plenty of sun and light.

IMG_1475625805.065021.jpg.b14cd530f318081da6bbfd352e775a55.jpg

IMG_1475625814.424799.jpg.ccdc6d8530efc55e39f620ae6f569d87.jpg

IMG_1475625822.065736.jpg.b4f04ccd874885d4ed846abbfa4d8535.jpg

Edited by djhsolara

[ATTACH]395531[/ATTACH][ATTACH]395532[/ATTACH][ATTACH]395533[/ATTACH][ATTACH]395534[/ATTACH]

This is on Zuiderdam. As you can see, even though it is covered, it still gets plenty of sun and light.

Thanks! I found my photo of the aft profile this evening, and it's interesting. 5 is fully covered. 7 and 8 are half covered at the back. 4 and 6 have very little cover at the back, and I think with the strong sun in the Caribbean it will be too hot on those decks. So, 5 it is.

We had an aft on Zuiderdam on deck 8--I think 8143.

It was not loud but we did have a lot of junk end up on our balcony. The steward vacuumed it daily when he did the room. It was the last one left and below the smoking side of the Seaview pool deck but it was not a problem.

Thanks! I found my photo of the aft profile this evening, and it's interesting. 5 is fully covered. 7 and 8 are half covered at the back. 4 and 6 have very little cover at the back, and I think with the strong sun in the Caribbean it will be too hot on those decks. So, 5 it is.

When we would be warm getting ready for dinner and we were sailing, we would go out and stand on the side part of the balcony. Quite a nice breeze when the ship is moving.

We were in aft cabin 6175 a few years ago on same cruise . Can't comment on cabin you are interested in but it was amazing going through the PC . What a view of the locks !! Had room service deliver breakfast ( and mimosas ) on the veranda as we went through. By all means I highly recommend it .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in aft cabin 6175 a few years ago on same cruise . Can't comment on cabin you are interested in but it was amazing going through the PC . What a view of the locks !! Had room service deliver breakfast ( and mimosas ) on the veranda as we went through. By all means I highly recommend it .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was tempted to roll the dice on a NS guarantee next time, but since this is a partial transit of the canal, I had to have an aft. And you bet there will be a veranda breakfast that morning!

I have an opportunity to have an aft facing balcony on a 10 day panama canal cruise (one in middle - not corner wrap) although it's on deck 8. I know the lido pool is above it. I don't believe that any noise would bother us as we are both heavy sleepers (and being from nyc we are able to tune most noise out). My question is, do you think that privacy would really only be a matter when I'm at the railing? Or is the whole balcony exposed?

We were in a deck 5 aft-wrap for the canal and I loved watching the locks close behind us. I recommend you go to the bow for coffee and pastry (just after sun-up but they'll announce) and watch as you approach the canal. It's a tradition that we enjoyed.

You can go to the Promenade deck (3) for up-close side stuff or aft on the Lido or in the Crow's Nest to get a bigger perspective. You don't fly through the locks, and anything missed going in you can see when leaving.

We were in a deck 5 aft-wrap for the canal and I loved watching the locks close behind us. I recommend you go to the bow for coffee and pastry (just after sun-up but they'll announce) and watch as you approach the canal. It's a tradition that we enjoyed.

You can go to the Promenade deck (3) for up-close side stuff or aft on the Lido or in the Crow's Nest to get a bigger perspective. You don't fly through the locks, and anything missed going in you can see when leaving.

I do hope to get up to the bow for one of the locks. We've done the full transit twice on QE2, both times in cabins on lower decks. On that ship, they did not open the bow deck, so to get a forward view, people staked out spots on the forward viewing area outside and spent the whole day there. I did manage to wriggle in to take a few pictures, but I made it quick to avoid angering anyone who felt possessive of their spot. :eek: We were on deck most of the day, but I went back to the cabin to watch from that perspective, lowering into the canal and being within about a foot of the wall. It was fun to see all the different colors of paint scrapes on the wall!