CC Help Jenn

Week of October 3: Favorite Airport

I think many of us have been to different airports on the way to our cruise ports. Some can be downright frustrating but others seem like a place to stop during my trip

Do you have a favorite airport? What makes it so special?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding

I can go to Burbank or LAX. The advantage of LAX is that I have a bigger choice of airlines and can get coast to coast non-stops. Burbank is a regional airport and requires a stopover for long flights. However, it is a much easier airport to get in and out of and it is closer.

Edited by Cuizer2

We have the option of three airports that we can fly out of to get to a cruise port: Washington Dulles International, Reagan International, and Baltimore/Washington International. Many flights out of Baltimore are cheaper, but we always fly out of Dulles for the convenience. It's only 15 miles away and if we have an early flight when most folks are still sleeping, we can get there in a little over 15 minutes. Once we get out of our neighborhood, it's a straight shot up the road. It would take us an hour and a half to get to Baltimore and probably 45 minutes to get to Reagan International.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Chicago's O'Hare airport has many restaurants and stores to choose from which makes a stay at the airport more enjoyable. We are about 20 minutes away by car so we arrive at the airport early and plan a meal there before the flight since there is no food served on the planes (in most cases).

Noelle

We have five homeports that are within reasonable driving distance.

However, I travel extensively for work, and my favorite airports for long layovers are DFW, ORD, MIA and CLT.

Least favorite: BOS and SLC.

Changi, Singapore. International is beautiful, OH wait! It's all international. You ahve to fly out of the country to turn around and land.

Edited by WupperAV

My favorite is Heathrow, UK

The reason is they have a great holding area with lots to do, eating, shopping, browsing and they don't post your gate until 1 hour before your flight. That way, when you get to the gate, only those on the flight are there, not a bunch hanging out wasting time.

Worst airport, Toronto!!! Don't get me started on that one!

Patty

Syracuse, NY

Honolulu Is my favorite, Why when I am there I am in Hawaii :)

We can fly out of two Seatac, and Bellingham, I usually just bite the bullet and fly out of Seatac.

We fly out of either JFK or LaGuardia in NY, but we love to fly into Ft. Lauderdale for cruises. The one thing we love, is that you can buy two bottles of wine in the terminal, so you don't have to lug them in your luggage for the cruise. The terminal is easy to navigate and the cruise port is not too far away.

My favorite airport is Albert J. Ellis (OAJ), it is just a small airport that I have to take to get out of my hometown in Jacksonville, NC. I love the small town feeling I get when I fly to and from there -- everyone is helpful, the lines are short and the wait time through security is minimal. They have a new state of the art terminal that includes a gift shop, lounge area, restaurant, and USO!

What I love most at OAJ is they let parents with small children load before the general public, it makes life a lot easier when you are traveling with little ones!

Living in coastal Maine we don't have many airports to fly out of and there are ALWAYS connections but not many. I enjoy DTW. I like it during the holidays when they have music playing along with a light show on the moving walkway between terminals.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but right now it's LAX.....only because we have Priority Passes and their lounges are a great place to wait for five hours! I also like Heathrow because of the easy way to get on the tube and get downtown at a reasonable price.

I love the rocking chairs in CLT. Any time I have flown in or out or connected there I always stop for a least a couple min and rock.

I am biased, but Canberra airport (CBR) because it exciting to be flying out at the start of my trip and always feels great when I return home.:D

Our favourite airport by a contry mile is Heathrow Airport which serves London and would always be our first choice.

And we live a very short drive away; what could be better, you ask?

Well, in the last few years, we have flown from and to London Gatwick numerous times, also Luton and Glasgow (yes, really) and Heathrow a measily once. Because we need to be budget conscious, the extra costs involved do not seem to be worth it.

When I win the lottery, things will change. Do not hold your breath, because I have bought a ticket only once!

I have always enjoyed CLT airport.....rocking chairs with a view while you wait?! can't beat that.

~Windy

The airport of Ft. Lauderdale is OK by itself, what makes it my favorite - it's closeness to the cruise terminals! If it wasn't for highways - it would be a walking distance! Once you landed, you don't want long drive and significant amount of extra money spent to get to your cruise, or, when you back, you want to get home sooner without loosing your vacation mood.

I can go to Burbank or LAX. The advantage of LAX is that I have a bigger choice of airlines and can get coast to coast non-stops. Burbank is a regional airport and requires a stopover for long flights. However, it is a much easier airport to get in and out of and it is closer.

I also like Burbank - but my fav is Long Beach. so easy to get in and out, it's small and seldom any Delayed flights. Usually fine to arrive 20 minutes before flight and still make it through Security. Great for short flights up and down the west coast or to Vegas. :cool:

For us our favorite airport has to be Dallas, Texas. While we moved away from there a year ago and now stuck in a city that we have to go elsewhere to get to most major cities.

Living in the Dallas area spoiled us. The airport is laid out so that you can get to any terminal via SkyLink monorail. Most major airlines fly both domestically and internationally from Dallas. Connections are quick and easy. Terminal D is by far one of the best in the industry. The waiting lounges have adequate seating and many shops and restaurants. Other terminals have been in the process of updating over the years. Parking onsite is easy especially if you have a toll tag on which parking is charged to your tag. Drop off and pick up has great parking. Many times I had to drop off or pick up my husband from his monthly trips to Heathrow. I would just park and walk across the cross walk - wait and see him come throw the customs doorway and we are on the road home in a matter of 30 minutes. You have to time your arrival to avoid sitting but parking is a breeze.

We had many friends and family visit us while we lived there. Picking them up was easy as we could park right at which ever terminal they were arriving, baggage carousels were located conveniently right across from many of the gates. You could watch for your friends to arrive and waiting for luggage to appear was a short wait.

I miss the ease of Dallas Airport it will have my vote as the best.

Happy Travels where ever you roam!

The airport in Barcelona will always have a special place in my heart. It was the first airport we flew into when we first traveled overseas for our first western med cruise in 2007. I can remember sitting in BCN, changing my shoes, and saying to my husband "what now"? That airport began our love affair with overseas travel and exotic cruises to places we used to dream about. I feel truly blessed to have been in so many airports at the beginning and end of so many great cruises.

I would say Orlando Airport, lots of shops to keep the kids busy and places to eat. Hotel right there in terminal. Always like to ride the airport monorail.

Praying everyone in Florida is safe during this horrible hurricane.

TAMPA -

They are rennovating now and adding even more inside the airport, but there are already TONS of good restaurants, little shops, and seating areas while waiting at the airport.

DFW would likely be the best overseas airport, but then we did spend 3 days there (at the Hilton hotel) and were never uncomfortable while we waited for our plane to depart after it was grounded. Visited Grapevine with the shuttle as well.

Edited by MicCanberra

Right now my favorite is the Philly Airport. I had to do 2 over-night layovers there recently and stayed at their Minute Suites and loved it. Everything you need and right across from the restrooms. There are lots of places to shop and plenty of restaurants there too.

I am really surprised anyone said Heathrow. We had a horrible time in that airport. I actually really like Tampa. We have just always been treated so nicely.

We usually fly out of Toronto, and I actually don't mind it. Hamilton Airport is tiny and certainly easy to get around, Calgary and Edmonton are good too... Halifax is a great airport. Thought Orlando is really pretty and not to difficult to navigate.

Changi in Singapore- orchids all over the place, a butterfly garden, a swmiming pool, great shops. What's not to like. Least favourite FCO in Rome - total chaos

MCO- Orlando. It's not only my home airport, but it's well organized and security can be downright quick even at the heaviest of travel days. It's set up a lot like a mall and there's plenty of room. Bonus, a lot of people travelling through are people on leisure travel looking forward to their vacations which gives the airport a fairly happy vibe....something hard to find anywhere near airplanes anymore

We flew from Montreal 2 weeks ago, so it is fresh in my memory.

We had been allocated a day room at the Marriott hotel, as we didn't fly until 20.00, but we had disembarked our cruise ship at 09.00 that morning.

We were able to walk to the airport via the concourse, which is part of the hotel. We were met by a very efficient lady who checked our luggage in. As we prepared to be checked by security, I was told there was no need to take my shoes of - 'you have human rights, this is Canada.'

How different it was at Heathrow.

First there was a problem with the machines for check in. No one to help us. As I had already checked in on line, but didn't have a boarding pass( no opportunity to print it out) I was directed to a machine, which locked up part way through. Eventually we were directed to ' a person' who completed the check in and gave us our boarding pass.

Security

Everything out of pockets, shoes off, frisked. Not a pleasant experience, as it had been at Montreal.

We then went for something to eat, I couldn't understand the waiter and I was back in my own country!

I may be a bit off topic. I have no favorite airport. I hate them all, although hate might be to strong a word. Air ports are a necessary evil in order to cruise or when travelling any where. I enjoy flying but have never had a pleasant experience checking in or out of any air port.

Allan

My favorite airport is Kona, it is all outdoors, it never rains there. Very easy and small, and you know you are in Hawaii.

I may be a bit off topic. I have no favorite airport. I hate them all, although hate might be to strong a word. Air ports are a necessary evil in order to cruise or when travelling any where. I enjoy flying but have never had a pleasant experience checking in or out of any air port.

Allan

While I know what you mean, about not be a favourite part of travel. I do feel sad that you have never had a pleasant experience at an airport. Perhaps one day, it may happen for you.

Adelaide airport has a great outside undercover bar,with big picnic tables ,all on carpet grass.Food is only 100 steps away.I do a happy dance when ever I get there.

Have a few dwinkies, and then fall asleep on the plane.:)

Fort Lauderdale, FL. It is our home airport and I always feel spoiled. I travel a lot for work and it always remains one of my favorites.

After being away from home for 6 weeks +, which we are during cruising and holidaying, the one we are in to come back to NZ and home!! That is my favourite wherever it is. :D

How about the least favourite; LAX!!! :mad:

Mike

My favorite is home airport PHX (Phoenix). If you are passing thru and have a bit of a delay they have a great museum in the terminal.

Joe :cool:

My favorite is home airport PHX (Phoenix). If you are passing thru and have a bit of a delay they have a great museum in the terminal.

Joe :cool:

That is handy to know. Cheers.:D

I like our local airport, Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro, North Carolina. Most of the major carriers are there, and it's small enough to be manageable.