Disembarkation in NY and Cunard Transportation

annmarz

We (couple with normal amount of luggage) will be ending our crossing in New York later this month and were planning to book the Cunard transportation to LaGuardia. I have been reading various postings about "nightmare" disembarkation procedures in Brooklyn. We have Global Entry cards but I understand they will not be of any benefit.

How does it work if you have booked the Cunard bus transport? Do they disembark people in a group for this? We are Platinum, so we will have the Priority Disembarkation lounge. Does this factor in? Should we do the self-disembarkation? Or Will this just be Hurry -up -and wait?

Is there a better way to get to LaGuardia? Uber?

I appreciate any advice!

We (couple with normal amount of luggage) will be ending our crossing in New York later this month and were planning to book the Cunard transportation to LaGuardia. I have been reading various postings about "nightmare" disembarkation procedures in Brooklyn. We have Global Entry cards but I understand they will not be of any benefit.

How does it work if you have booked the Cunard bus transport? Do they disembark people in a group for this? We are Platinum, so we will have the Priority Disembarkation lounge. Does this factor in? Should we do the self-disembarkation? Or Will this just be Hurry -up -and wait?

I appreciate any advice!

We have used the Cunard coach transfer to LaGuardia a couple times. Here are some notes from the most recent crossing we did in August of this year.

We were given "Red 1" disembarkation tags for our luggage. Those tags were sent to our cabin a few days before our arrival in New York along with disembarkation instructions.

We were told to meet in the Royal Court theatre for an expected call-off time of 8:10am. We are also Platinum, but the priority disembarkation lounge does not apply to those who have booked Cunard coach transfers. Everyone with coach transfers met in the Royal Court theatre.

As best I can recall, our "Red 1" group was actually called off the ship at approximately 8:45am. We were told there were delays shore-side getting our luggage off the ship and into the baggage hall in the terminal.

Once we were called off, the process of disembarking the ship, retrieving our luggage, proceeding through passport control, and getting on the coach went very smoothly. As best I can recall, that whole process only took about 15 to 20 minutes. The line at passport control was very short for us. Only three groups ahead of us there.

If you are lucky enough to get on one of the first coaches to LaGuardia, you can be on your way relatively quickly. We ended up on one of the last coaches that had to wait until all passengers with LaGuardia coach transfers were accounted for. As a result, we sat on the coach for about an hour before it actually departed. We arrived at LaGuardia around 10:30am. That was not a problem for us since we had booked a late afternoon flight and had a long wait at LaGuardia for our flight in any event.

Hope this helps.

John

Edited by bluemarble

You'll be probably the first group off the ship after Grills and Priority. Wait in the comfort of the Royal Theatre

It all depends on how many immigration officers will be available at Brooklyn. Last week there were only eight. We left the ship around 1045 instead of 0950 and once you collected your luggage we were in line (with all that luggage) for another hour. US and non US all mixed, organisation wise it was very bad with no organisational structure what so ever. At one stage there were three officers for one long line and one left mid process leaving only two.

Coaches will wait until everybody is on board. The agent does have a list of all passengers.

Expect delays, I hope you don't have a flight booked until at least 2pm.

It's the least pleasurable part of the journey, while bearing it just try to remember the good times you had on board!:):):)

I appreciate any advice!

I disembarked in Brooklyn in Jan. I had priority disembarkation and walked straight off at 8.30am. I collected my bags and called a hall porter (they are all around the baggage area). I paid $20 USD and he wheeled me straight up to a priority immigration lane. I waited maybe 5 minutes and then cleared. I had to wait 10 mins more for my driver to arrive - I use dial7 when in NY. It cost me $45 USD to Manhattan, which got me a properly chauffeured vehicle.

I'd manage my own transfer if I were you. When I disembarked, the transfer passengers were stuck in awful queues. I was glad to have taken the advice of a fellow CC poster and tablemate on board.

I am surprised at the problems folks seem to have getting from ship to airport?? :confused:

If you can, self disembark -- go through customs / passport control -- walk out and take a cab (yellow or green) and whoosh you are at the airport.

No muss / no fuss

I was on the same crossing as Oslo Dutch. Had to be in the Royal Court for 8.30 to be ready for my coach transfer. Did not leave the ship until 9.30. Luggage, Red3 for me, was all unloaded and easy to collect. It took just over an hour to get through immigration. The management of the line was nonexistent!

Friends of mine on the same crossing did self disembarkation, they walked off at 8, still took nearly an hour through the controls, then took a taxi to airport and managed to catch an earlier flight. If you can manage all your luggage that might be a better option.