Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

james j feller

Never Again On Rccl

I will not cruise on RCCL again because of the BOTS fiasco.

RCCL lied to us to many times at the end of the cruise,they were going to help us etc. BALONY.

I and my wife are PLATINUM members and actually should be DIAMOND as i have cruised with them since they first stated cruising, but no more.

NO more money from us RCCL.

JIM

what happened on the brilliance of the seas? Did I miss something?

Yes........... fill us in on what happened on BOTS.

Hey Jim....You can't make a statement like that and not explain yourself. I have had nothing but wonderful times and memories on RCCL , if your point is to stop people from Sailing on RCCL then your going to have to make your case.

So , how is RCCL responsible for a Strike at the port? I see some areas in the above where RCCL Customer service could have been more proactive, however, I do not see much that RCCL could have done to have prevented the problem. If they re-routed customers would have still missed connections, If they had remained at Sea, the same result. Why not take a look at other cruise lines that encountered the same issue. You would still find that the affected customers were just as unhappy and inconvenienced as the OP.

Here's a brief run down on our personal experience from this cruise.

Knowing we were cruise only passengers and knowing it was likely we would not get into Barcelona on time, I went to guest relations. We were told RCI was aware the port was closed but not to worry, RCI would take care of us.

Later, they were asking for all the cruise only guests to fill out flight information forms so that RCI could contact our airlines to let them know we would not make our flights. This DID NOT happen and we were listed as no-shows for our departure, resulting in a no refund or credit situation.

As the day progressed, they asked for everyone, including air/sea package guests to fill out the flight information form. Previouisly they had told air/sea guests this was not necessary as they already had their information.

Disembarkation was delayed 3 hours thanks to RCI's comingling of arriving and departing guests, causing even those with late flights to miss their flights. Food was not available and the restrooms on decks 13,12, and 11 were locked. I didn't go any further looking for a bathroom.

We were repeatedly told that RCI would take care of us and not to worry. We would be provided with the new flight information and hotel information either before leaving the ship or upon leaving the ship. This included all cruise only guests as well as air/sea guests. Remember, they had taken all our flight information to make arrangements for us.

Upon disembarkation, we were handed a sheet of paper and told goodbye and good luck. That sheet of paper told us that RCI would provide 2 nights hotel but not where the hotel was, how to get there or who to contact about it. The personal at the pier didn't have a clue and told us without transfer vouchers we needed to get a taxi.

The letter also provided two options. #1 call your own airline and make arrangements to get home. Remember, RCI told everyone THEY would call the airlines for us. We'll guess what, they didn't. Option #2 was to call RCI at a special # and purchase for a fee of $700 a flight home ($500 if you only wanted to go to JFK). One problem, the "toll free" phone number wasn't a toll free number. In order to access that number, you had to have an AT&T calling card so that AT&T could bill YOU. AT&T wouldn't even let me call the number they gave us collect. Those who didn't have an AT&T calling card, like us, were just out of luck.

Fortunately, the emergancy # for our travel insurance carrier WAS able to confrence call us to the RCI. I shudder to think where I'd be if I didn't have travel insurance. RCI took my information to exercise option 2 and told me to call back in 2 hours. Tough luck about the fact we couldn't find a hotel room plus, he had no knowledge of any hotel room offer or how to get any money back if we did happen to find one.Our travel insurance company DID find us a hotel room, no thanks to RCI.

When I called RCI back 90 minutes later, I talked with the same rep but he had no information for flights yet. BTW, the letter stated that RCI had made arrangements for SEVERAL charter flights leaving on FRIDAY. In fact, they had only ONE!

When we finally made it to the hotel, I called our insurance company back and was again confrenced called to RCI (RCI still couldn't give me a number to call directly). This time I got a different rep who had NO RECORD of my previous conversations. Once again I gave RCI all my credit card information and passport information. This time I was given and airline and flight time but no confirmation number or reservation number.

At the airport, they had no record of us and told us we were NOT on that flight. We refused to get out of line as we had no where else to be. Well guess what, the flight manifest DID have us on that flight. I guess RCI's list was just flat out WRONG like everything else they'd done so far.

The flight was supposed to leave at 10:45. It left sometime after 3 PM. At this point we still did not have connecting flight informations.

Once in NY we were hearded onto busses. The flight had arrived so late that all the connections were cancelled and they were going to put us up in hotels for the night. There were RCI reps to meet us at the hotel to give us connecting flight information for tomorrow. Naturally, they sent us to the WRONG hotel first.

Guess what, we STILL WERE NOT ON THEIR LIST! We were given a 1-800 number and told to call at 06:00 AM. We'll guess what, they were there at 06:00 AM. No one answered the phone until 09:00 AM and then we were told we were given the WRONG number and that people HAD been there since 07:00.

We were transfered to another department where once again, they had NO RECORD of us. Once again I was asked for my credit card information and that's when I finally lost it.

They did get us on a flight (finally) and we did get home. There was so many lies told, misdiretion, communication foul ups and just plain stupid mistakes that I don't know if I can trust RCI with my travel plans ever again. I have never been so mistreated and lied to by one company in such a short span of time in my life.

I have since been in conact with customer service and written a 7 page complaint letter detailing out own personal odysy in getting home. So far, customer service has agreed to refund us for the one nights hotel stay we paid for but that's about it. Oh yea, if you exercised option two, you'd get a $250 per person voucher for a future cruise. It wouldn't surprise me if they forgot about that one as well.

I really thought after a couple of days that I'd start to settle down a bit over this but, I really seem to just get more angry everytime I think about it. I've never felt so abused by a company in all of my life.

Good-Bye!

More room for us :D

If you had been on the BOTS October 15th sailing, you might have a different attitude, at least a little sympathy.

There are at least two other threads on this board that go into the details. Jim is very correct in that RCI lied consistently to us and mislead us. The original cause of the crisis was definitely beyond the control of RCI, a Spanish fisherman's stike causing a blockade of Barcelona. The ensuing chaos and turmoil was completely RCI's responsibility. The lies that we were told, consistenly, had to be coordinated and I'm left with a very bad feeling toward RCI. We have two more cruises planned with them and we are postponing any decisions regarding cancellation until we cool off a little. We have only been home a few days. The cruise itself was outstanding.

Good-Bye!

More room for us :D

You can have the room as far as I'm concerned. Good luck if things go wrong as I'm sure you'll find RCCL just doesn't care about you, only your money.

So , how is RCCL responsible for a Strike at the port? I see some areas in the above where RCCL Customer service could have been more proactive, however, I do not see much that RCCL could have done to have prevented the problem. If they re-routed customers would have still missed connections, If they had remained at Sea, the same result. Why not take a look at other cruise lines that encountered the same issue. You would still find that the affected customers were just as unhappy and inconvenienced as the OP.

They are not responsible for the strike. It's the lack of customer service AFTER the strike that they are responsible for. Things like telling passengers that they were notifying the airlines when they weren't. Things like telling everyone they were going to take care of us when they should have told us to get online to look for a hotel room and contact our airlines. Things like giving us a contact number the DIDN'T work from a foriegn country and telling us it was a toll free call.

There are a LOT of things that are RCI's fault. Mostly, just not caring what happened to anyone once they were off the ship. Especially since they had been telling everyone "Don't worry, we'll take care of you." If you're not going to do anything, let me know up front and I'll take care of myself.

You have totally missed the point. Nobody has said that RCI was responsible for the strike.

The issue is that RCI consistently lied to us after the situation occurred. They told us several times that they would take care of everything, you don't have to do anything. We will rebook your airlines, get you a hotel in the greater Barcelona area. I questioned this three times in person and each time I was told that RCI would take care of it all.

Bottom line, they did nothing with the airlines, didn't even cancel our flights, so that we became no shows and lost any chance of recompense. They didn't rebook anything. They did put us up in a hotel, 80 kms outside Barcelona and then abandoned us. They had promised an RCI rep at the hotel. None ever showed and we were a 120 euro taxi drive away from the airport. The toll free numbers they gave us didn't work. I had an international cell phone and so was able to use that to book a flight home. The lies continued even on the flight back home. They lied and lied and lied.

By the way, I'm not interested in how other cruise lines handled the situation, I was on RCI and they failed miserably. And yes, I am angry.

I have read the other threads about what happened at the end of this cruise. I am thankful that this situation has not happened to us - and hopefully it never will. I sympathise with the cruisers that had to endure the fiasco that occured. I too would be hesitant to sail with RCCL again if I had to endure such events. IMHO RCCL customer service really dropped the ball on this one.

I hope that your future sailings - wherever they are, are far more uneventful and happy.

We were on the 3-night cruise that embarked after the 10/15 cruisers were off. We were inconvenienced, but from what I've read here and what a couple of people who did a back to back told us, it was nothing compared to what the 12-nighters had to put up with.

My take on it: RCCL has a very serious communications problem and has no contingency plan in place of a disruption of their normal process. This is the second cruise in a row where there has been a major incident (we were on the Monarch cruise where 3 crew members died), and RCCL customer service had no idea that anything was going on either time. We were aware of the strike long before boarding, and we spent plenty of cellphone minutes & dollars trying to find out what was going on. The RCCL reps in Miami didn't even know there was a port strike. The port agent, Intercruise, also couldn't fill us in until the strike was over. Now, that's fair enough, but when we called at 3pm, they said, "come down to the port NOW. The strike is over and the ship will be sailing." So we did, only to be told that we should go away and come back at 8. We would have been perfectly happy to leave our bags checked at the hotel and continue our exploration of Barcelona, but when the port agent tells you to get down there NOW, it's probably a bad gamble not to. So we schlepped our stuff to the Francia train station (note: you can store lots of luggage in a large locker for 4.50 Euros for the day) and continued our tour until 7:30. When we got back, other passengers told us that people were now being told 10pm. We ended up boarding around midnight.

I understand that it was a logistical nightmare for RCCL even to decide where the ship would end up, whether to go to Marseilles & cancel us, what to do with 2600 passengers who now had no way to get home or place to spend the night, etc. I cannot understand, however, how they could not have any semblance of a Plan B. I think they share the blame with Intercruise and the relatively primitive port of Barcelona, though. On the day of the Monarch tragedy, disembarkation was not delayed, and they were at least able to check in the new passengers, who then had to wait until boarding. In Barcelona, they told us that the software would not allow them to check us in until all the disembarking passengers were off the ship. That sounds like something that a computer geek could fix (she said with conviction but no actual knowledge). So the entire ship had to check in and board at the same time, which was as chaotic an experience as any I've had except when trying to buy a Lakers' championship T-shirt after they beat the Celtics in 1987 (I got 2).

We are Diamond members with RCCL, and have every intention of becoming Diamond Plus within a year or two. I do hope they come up with some kind of contingency planning formula, though. We keep getting $150 credits for inconvenience, and as a shareholder, I'd rather see them do things right the first time around.

I don't blame these people for being mad at RCI. Enough people have said the following things that I don't think anyone can argue that they're not being truthful:

1. RCI told ALL passengers whether air/sea or cruise only that they would be taken care of.

2. The forms telling RCI what airlines/hotels would need to be notified weren't even COLLECTED from the boxes untill it was too late.

3. RCI provided passengers with a "toll-free assistance number" that could only be reached from within the US.

These people are right to be angry. If something goes wrong on my upcoming cruise and RCI tells me "We got ya covered!" I'll say thanks and call my airline anyway. And my travel agent.

I think there is a common thread we've seen here.....RCI is great when everything is normal, but at the first disruption the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. They need to work on this. And people who are big partisans of RCI/stockholder/Diamond members need to let them know that too. I think there is a mentality of "There's more where they came from" in big business today.....customer loyalty is not a priority.

Clearly, RCI is fully responsible for fisherman strikes in Spain, this is totally under their control, and all passengers affected should be fully compensated with 3 free cruises each year for the rest of their lives.

Additionally, RCI will be held responsible for the following future events, should they occur in a location that somehow affects a cruise:

1. Meteor Showers.

2. The flying of pigs.

3. The freezing over of Hell.

4. Alien overthrow of the earth.

You get the idea-

Geez people, there was a labor dispute-IN SPAIN!!! What is RCI supposd to do about it?? I am sure they did what they could, and I am also sure that they were far more distressed about it from a business perspective than any passenger was because of the effect on his/her 3 day cruise-

Speak to the right people in the right way and you just may be compensated for it, but how can you hold RCI responsible for a Spanish fisherman strike??:eek:

I could see one passenger blowing things out of proportion and being unreasonably angry over something that is not the cruiselines fault but 3 or 4 different posters? And they all tell the same story. I completely understand the statement: "If you're not going to do anything, let me know up front and I'll take care of myself" and I think thier gripes are very legitimate. It seems as though RCCL dropped the ball on this one (at the very least) and it caused unnecessary stress for the passengers...not to mention the possible danger to those who were aimlessly wandering around. That is NOT the situation I would want MY family to be in at the end of an otherwise enjoyable vacation.

I'm sorry you went through all that drama but thank you for sharing your experiences with us (all of you)...I've learned some things that I might not have otherwise known without reading these posts.

We keep getting $150 credits for inconvenience, and as a shareholder, I'd rather see them do things right the first time around.

I don't want any money from them, I just want them to tell me what went wrong and how they plan to fix it so it doesn't happen again. I booked my own air and accepted the responsibility that if things went wrong, it was my problem. I had insurance, an international cell phone, lots of phone numbers and quite a lot of travel experience. I, however, got suckered in to accepting RCI's assurances that they would take care of everything. Never again. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me. In the future, I'll do what I should have done last week, take care of it myself.

I don't blame these people for being mad at RCI. Enough people have said the following things that I don't think anyone can argue that they're not being truthful:

1. RCI told ALL passengers whether air/sea or cruise only that they would be taken care of.

2. The forms telling RCI what airlines/hotels would need to be notified weren't even COLLECTED from the boxes untill it was too late.

3. RCI provided passengers with a "toll-free assistance number" that could only be reached from within the US.

These people are right to be angry. If something goes wrong on my upcoming cruise and RCI tells me "We got ya covered!" I'll say thanks and call my airline anyway. And my travel agent.

I think there is a common thread we've seen here.....RCI is great when everything is normal, but at the first disruption the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. They need to work on this. And people who are big partisans of RCI/stockholder/Diamond members need to let them know that too. I think there is a mentality of "There's more where they came from" in big business today.....customer loyalty is not a priority.

We were posting at the same time but this is exactly my point...and the lessons that I've taken away from these posts includes don't trust them to help us get back home or find a nights lodging. No one is saying that they were responsible for the strike or that they should get 3 free cruises but if they tell you WE Will Take Care of YOU then they should hold true to their word. The points made have not been that RCCL is responsible for the strike...their gripes seem to stem from the lack of communication WITHIN RCCL not to mention the bogus information they were given FROM RCCL, including IMPORTANT telephone numbers.

Again, my empathy and/or sympathy is with those who went through this.

While I understand the frustration of people when things go wrong, I'm always curious if the folks that complain the loudest and blame the cruise line (airline, government response to hurricanes, etc.) were put in charge how much better they would have done in the short amount of time available to set things up,the distances involved and the time difference between the U.S. and Spain. Also, dealing with the various agencies involved in a foreign country that are responsible for some of the things that need to be done had to be interesting.

Just curious, that's all.

To all those affected by the strike,

I am sorry and somewhat appalled by the way RCI handled the situation. It is very clear that RCI "dropped the ball". I think it is extremely unfair that some posters do not understand the difficulties you encountered while in the hands of RCI. You were there, and they were not. I truly hope that RCI makes a good attempt at mending the horrible service you received. Good Luck and please keep us posted!!

Geez people, there was a labor dispute-IN SPAIN!!! What is RCI supposd to do about it?? I am sure they did what they could, and I am also sure that they were far more distressed about it from a business perspective than any passenger was because of the effect on his/her 3 day cruise-

Speak to the right people in the right way and you just may be compensated for it, but how can you hold RCI responsible for a Spanish fisherman strike??:eek:

I think that you need to go back and read the posts again. No one has ever held RCI responsible for the strike. It would take a very short sighted, narrow minded person to even consider that, about as short sighted and narrow minded as one who mis reads postings and makes flippant replies. Get the picture?

In case you still haven't figured it out, the passengers that have posted on this board are all complaining about RCI's handling of the situation after the strike was over. The misleading statements and broken promises. As for compensation, I certainly don't expect any, that's why I buy insurance.

Clearly, RCI is fully responsible for fisherman strikes in Spain, this is totally under their control, and all passengers affected should be fully compensated with 3 free cruises each year for the rest of their lives.

Additionally, RCI will be held responsible for the following future events, should they occur in a location that somehow affects a cruise:

1. Meteor Showers.

2. The flying of pigs.

You get the idea-

I guess you don't have the ability to read with comprehension. NO ONE has blamed RCI for the strike. What everyone is upset about is the LIES they told all of us.

Like Jbond I knew that as a cruise only guest, I was responsible for my travel plans. Like Jbond I got sucked into their statements that RCI was taking care of everyone. Instead of taking care of everyone, I feel they were telling us all lies to prevent mass panic.

If they'd have told me the truth, I would have been online trying to change my flight plan and book a hotel. As it was, they told us THEY were taking care of it and not to worry. Instead, we were dumped in a foriegn country with no hotel, no flight plans and a wrong number to call RCI to pay them another $700 to get home.

Not being honest WAS THEIR FAULT.....period. The fishermans strike has very little to do with it at all.

1. Meteor Showers.

2. The flying of pigs.

You get the idea-

Did you read all of the threads on this subject :confused: THEY are NOT blaming RCI for the strike. These people have umpteen reasons to be upset with RCI!!! :mad:

###