Share and Salty Dog are a bust!

I am just back from 32 days aboard Emerald Princess. It was amazing to see that night after night there were either no tables occupied in Share or just one or two. From Adagio you could see right in and witness the staff just standing about. Word from some crew was that it was a total disaster, and that the steep price rather than menu was keeping passengers away. It was not much better at the Salty Dog portion of the Wheelhouse bar. I never saw more than two tables in use, and frequently those were occupied ship's officers. Those tables have ruined a large portion of the Wheelhouse bar. Again I suspect the price was the issue as the menu did look interesting. Happily though, the Crown Grill was very busy every night with many tables occupied, excellent service and very good food. I certainly enjoyed my 3 meals there.

I am just back from 32 days aboard Emerald Princess. It was amazing to see that night after night there were either no tables occupied in Share or just one or two. From Adagio you could see right in and witness the staff just standing about. Word from some crew was that it was a total disaster, and that the steep price rather than menu was keeping passengers away. It was not much better at the Salty Dog portion of the Wheelhouse bar. I never saw more than two tables in use, and frequently those were occupied ship's officers. Those tables have ruined a large portion of the Wheelhouse bar. Again I suspect the price was the issue as the menu did look interesting. Happily though, the Crown Grill was very busy every night with many tables occupied, excellent service and very good food. I certainly enjoyed my 3 meals there.

Thanks for saying so. I agree about Share. That was my experience on the Ruby last March, too. Not to worry: some Share enthusiasts will soon chime in on how great it is.

Thanks again for your honest thoughts.

I'm glad to hear it. :D

Maybe they abandon Share & bring back Sabatini's the way it was a few years ago when everyone really liked it.

I never ate at the Salty Dog but it did look good. I'm not one to pay extra for lunch when there's other options available for free.

I really don't know what Princess was thinking with the combination of the price and menu of Share. I wouldn't even consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And to add insult to the meal there are no additional servings. If you still hungry you'll have to go to the DR or the buffet.:(

To jump on the band wagon and to belabor the point, Share is not an exciting experience and Salty Dog is just not that great to justify more than one trip to the burger and straws land. I would agree people should save their cash and take your chances with the normally very good Crown Grill.

Thanks for saying so. I agree about Share. That was my experience on the Ruby last March' date=' too. Not to worry: some Share enthusiasts will soon chime in on how great it is.

Thanks again for your honest thoughts.

+1 :)

YMMV

Srpilo

I am just back from 32 days aboard Emerald Princess. It was amazing to see that night after night there were either no tables occupied in Share or just one or two.

It speaks volumes when a Specialty Restaurant can't generate business on a 32 day cruise. Ordinarily, there would always be a critical mass of passengers who are bored with the same old rotation and who want to try something different.

I am just back from 32 days aboard Emerald Princess. It was amazing to see that night after night there were either no tables occupied in Share or just one or two.

It was not much better at the Salty Dog portion of the Wheelhouse bar. I never saw more than two tables in use, and frequently those were occupied ship's officers. Those tables have ruined a large portion of the Wheelhouse bar. Again I suspect the price was the issue as the menu did look interesting. .

I share your observation on the Salty Dog. I saw those empty tables at night at the Wheelhouse Bar which could have otherwise been a dancing area while enjoying drinks at the bar,

I'm glad to hear it. :D

Maybe they abandon Share & bring back Sabatini's the way it was a few years ago when everyone really liked it.

I never ate at the Salty Dog but it did look good. I'm not one to pay extra for lunch when there's other options available for free.

Salty Dog is only open for dinner...

Thanks for saying so. I agree about Share. That was my experience on the Ruby last March' date=' too. Not to worry: some Share enthusiasts will soon chime in on how great it is.

Thanks again for your honest thoughts.[/quote']

Yes - we are enthusiastic supporters of both Share and Salty Dog. We are happy that Princess is exploring new food ventures. Have eaten multiple times at both restaurants as well as many times at the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. Based on restaurant prices at home here in Las Vegas, these new restaurants offer good value for the price paid. Share would be much more expensive if it was located on the Strip.

We are not surprised that these restaurants might be empty on a 32-day cruise. We have noticed that the longer the cruise, the older the passengers and, hence, the less likely that specialty restaurants are busy. When we have been on shorter cruises (including on the Ruby), we have found that the specialty restaurants usually are much busier.

We will be on the Ruby Princess next week and look forward to eating at these restaurants once again.

While I don't like beating a dead horse.... maybe the executives at Princess need to continually see comments from CC members as well as the empty tables. We have two cruises scheduled aboard the Ruby for the coming year. DW and I like to research as much of our cruise possibilities as we can, including dining plans for the duration of the cruise. Looking at the menu for Share was a true disappointment in both selections and cost... $39 for a very limited menu.

We agree with several others who would like to see the return of Sabatini's! It always had delicious choices within the menu and excellent service. Like Share, the Salty Dog falls squarely within similar thoughts... $19 for a hamburger with a bunch of junk on it... again no thanks!

Hopefully, the continued poor attendance at the restaurants and critical posts from CC members might make it to the Princess decision makers. Princess executives.... remember "New Coke / Coke II" the public's reaction to the change was negative, even hostile, and the new cola was a major marketing failure... take the hint!

While I don't like beating a dead horse.... maybe the executives at Princess need to continually see comments from CC members as well as the empty tables. We have two cruises scheduled aboard the Ruby for the coming year. DW and I like to research as much of our cruise possibilities as we can, including dining plans for the duration of the cruise. Looking at the menu for Share was a true disappointment in both selections and cost... $39 for a very limited menu.

We agree with several others who would like to see the return of Sabatini's! It always had delicious choices within the menu and excellent service. Like Share, the Salty Dog falls squarely within similar thoughts... $19 for a hamburger with a bunch of junk on it... again no thanks!

Hopefully, the continued poor attendance at the restaurants and critical posts from CC members might make it to the Princess decision makers. Princess

executives.... remember "New Coke / Coke II" the public's reaction to the change was negative, even hostile, and the new cola was a major marketing failure... take the hint!

I agree! Remember New Coke and Coke II !!

And for sure: bring back Sabatini's:) :) :)

Not to worry: some Share enthusiasts will soon chime in on how great it is.

LOL. :) And then point out the defects in your character that make you disagree with them and their blind devotion to SHARE (official Princess spelling.) :p

I'm not one to pay extra for lunch when there's other options available for free.

Are you confusing the Pub Lunch (free, on sea days only, often--but not always--served in Wheelhouse, available on all ships) with Salty Dog ($19 upcharge, dinner only, in Wheelhouse bars on the "Crown class" ships only)?

Yes - we are enthusiastic supporters of both Share and Salty Dog. We are happy that Princess is exploring new food ventures. Have eaten multiple times at both restaurants as well as many times at the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. Based on restaurant prices at home here in Las Vegas, these new restaurants offer good value for the price paid. Share would be much more expensive if it was located on the Strip.

We are not surprised that these restaurants might be empty on a 32-day cruise. We have noticed that the longer the cruise, the older the passengers and, hence, the less likely that specialty restaurants are busy. When we have been on shorter cruises (including on the Ruby), we have found that the specialty restaurants usually are much busier.

We will be on the Ruby Princess next week and look forward to eating at these restaurants once again.

EXACTLY! Longer cruises indicate older travelers, and if you're on a cruise for more than 2 weeks you probably won't go to a specialty restaurant more than twice, right? We enjoyed SHARE while on the Ruby in Feb. and there were at least 3-4 other tables occupied besides ours. It's a brand new restaurant and lots of people are afraid to even try it...which I think is silly. There is something very special about SHARE,and the concept of the restaurant on a cruise ship is unique.Share doesn't actually have a lot of tables on purpose, it's not supposed to be crowded and noisy bustling with people and activity. It was so lovely to have a 2 hour dinner that was quiet and rather intimate. Our server was lovely and because she didn't have 10 other tables to wait on, she got to know us !

The price isn't crazy at all...and we left feeling so full...but sad the dinner was over.

Before you say how horrible it is, I highly recommend you try it :)

Edited by mrswallace2012

Are you confusing the Pub Lunch (free, on sea days only, often--but not always--served in Wheelhouse, available on all ships) with Salty Dog ($19 upcharge, dinner only, in Wheelhouse bars on the "Crown class" ships only)?

I wasn't confused about the pub lunch (which I don't really care for) but I was under the impression that the Salty dog was also a lunch.

I would never eat a hamburger for dinner even if it were free since there's real food served elsewhere. I can't see them making a go of it at dinner time- maybe lunch.

Don't worry. Anything that doesn't turn a profit will not last.

What amazes me is people will pay to go to any specialty restaurant. However, I haven't been on a Princess cruise since 2011. Has the 'included' food and service at the MDR and other venues deteriorated so much people are willing to pay twice for dinner?

Salty dog tables and chairs are too hard to get into. I don't know why they thought high stools and tables worked especially with an older clientele

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Just to further your point - In the Salty Dog the table/seating option for passengers who use a wheelchair for mobility is really unacceptable. We ate in the Salty Dog on our recent Coastal cruise on the Crown. When I called to make the reservation, I advised the Dine Line that a passenger in a wheelchair was in our party. When we arrived, they had improvised a table for us out of coffee tables... We paid to eat dinner in our laps. We didn't enjoy it at all and ended up complaining to the Maitre'd. He said that for safety reasons they couldn't bring in another table - an excuse I completely reject because they could easily have brought in a table from the Crown Grill and I refuse to believe that we are the first group to have raised this complaint.

Don't worry. Anything that doesn't turn a profit will not last.

What amazes me is people will pay to go to any specialty restaurant. However, I haven't been on a Princess cruise since 2011. Has the 'included' food and service at the MDR and other venues deteriorated so much people are willing to pay twice for dinner?

It is better but they've convinced the public that anything they pay for is waaaaay better. I suppose they thought that raising the price even higher that Sabatini's people would flock to the place but given a taste of the Curtis Stone food in the main DR turned a lot of people off entirely.

I'm sure the place will be changed as soon as the contract with Curtis Stone is up- however long that is.