Share and Salty Dog are a bust!

yyjguy

...offer fine dining options in a refined setting and people WILL use it......

That sounds like the MDR in 2000. When specialty dining venues were introduced (blame Norwegian) all the cheerleaders said it would not affect the MDR. Ha!

Your price point issue holds no water...X charges $50 pp in its Murano restaurant and is FULL nightly and has NO celebrity Chef attachment...its the PRODUCT that's the issue, its NOT Curtis Stone either, Celebrity Chef restaurants are so common now they are tiring.....ITS THE FOOD and ATMOSPHERE, period...offer fine dining options in a refined setting and people WILL use it......

My point about price point is that you can have a Curtis Stone dish in the MDR for the price of your cruise fare. Why would you pay anything extra especially if the food is not to your liking. Celebrity offers discounts and dining packages to fill restaurants and I'm sure that the OBC they give as a perk also contributes to the popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My demographics on my one HAL cruise was identical to Princess. Bruce Muzz who posts here has indicated that Princess has older passengers...... I wouldn't rule HAL out.

His statistics are the only numbers that are believable. Everyone else not so much.

It's just the latest example of why I take subjective reviews of things such as food, entertainment & service with a grain of salt. ;)

Not being there it's impossible for me to decide which is accurate but we haven't had food or entertainment that overall we'd call poor on any of our cruises. With so many food options there are more than enough options for me that I wouldn't fill up on rolls & soup.

I've had great cruises where another passenger reviewed it as having terrible food, entertainment or service. I can understand them having a few negative experiences but not blanket statements about something being bad or terrible. I regularly participate on CC but those who don't regularly participate read negative posts & are panicked that they have made a horrible mistake by booking their cruise.

In dozens of cruises I've only had good cruises even when a few things were disappointing. If I solely based my cruise decisions on CC reviews (particularly the ship reviews not on this forum) then I'd wouldn't have enjoyed dozens of cruises. :)

I really enjoy reading both the good and the bad opinions especially when I'm going to be on the ship shortly to review it for myself.

My point about price point is that you can have a Curtis Stone dish in the MDR for the price of your cruise fare. Why would you pay anything extra especially if the food is not to your liking. Celebrity offers discounts and dining packages to fill restaurants and I'm sure that the OBC they give as a perk also contributes to the popularity.

All lines give perks, Princess gives OBC which you can use for a specially restaurant so it costs you nothing but if the atmosphere and food sucks then it will sit mostly empty as Share does, if its a great experience with wonderful food as in Murano it will be mostly full.....The "Curtis Stone" aspect of it has very little if anything to do with it, its either worth it or its not.......

Your price point issue holds no water...X charges $50 pp in its Murano restaurant and is FULL nightly and has NO celebrity Chef attachment...its the PRODUCT that's the issue, its NOT Curtis Stone either, Celebrity Chef restaurants are so common now they are tiring.....ITS THE FOOD and ATMOSPHERE, period...offer fine dining options in a refined setting and people WILL use it......

I agree with those who say it IS price piont. There is no way I would pay for a meal on a cruise ship when food of many types is available already. Why pay extra for a hamburger in a fancy settng when I can get a hamburger as part of my cruise that I can eat anywhere I want. Why pay extra for small plates of food when I can get a variety of food, as much as I want in other venues on the ship. The added cost of eating in specialty venues adds up after a while and, to me, is an entirely extra cost that I do not see paying.

I would rather use my OBC for things like excursions and drinks or even items in the stores which are not available for no cost on the cruise.

Edited by Potstech

I agree with those who say it IS price piont. There is no way I would pay for a meal on a cruise ship when food of many types is available already. Why pay extra for a hamburger in a fancy settng when I can get a hamburger as part of my cruise that I can eat anywhere I want. Why pay extra for small plates of food when I can get a variety of food, as much as I want in other venues on the ship. The added cost of eating in specialty venues adds up after a while and, to me, is an entirely extra cost that I do not see paying.

I would rather use my OBC for things like excursions and drinks or even items in the stores which are not available for no cost on the cruise.

Didn't you know that when you pay extra for it, it makes everything taste that much better. :rolleyes:

All lines give perks, Princess gives OBC which you can use for a specially restaurant so it costs you nothing but if the atmosphere and food sucks then it will sit mostly empty as Share does, if its a great experience with wonderful food as in Murano it will be mostly full.....The "Curtis Stone" aspect of it has very little if anything to do with it, its either worth it or its not.......

Hey something we can agree on ;), if the food sucks and the atmosphere is not there then no matter what the price it still sucks.

Now we have never been to Murano so have no opinion on that one.

Theo

Didn't you know that when you pay extra for it, it makes everything taste that much better. :rolleyes:

Or sometimes it's the meat that is used, the way it is prepared, that it is served fresh off the frill, that make it taste better. :)

Or maybe it's that it's not mass produced food that sits around under a heat lamp that makes it taste better!

Our HAL experience is easily summed up in my signature line! :D:D:D :eek::eek:

That is too bad. Maybe my cruise was a one off, but I had the best entertainment of any cruise ship on my HAL cruise. It was anything but boring.

Hey something we can agree on ;), if the food sucks and the atmosphere is not there then no matter what the price it still sucks.

Now we have never been to Murano so have no opinion on that one.

Theo

Murano is very good but not worth $50 per person. We tried it at a 30% discount which Celebrity often offers to fill the restaurants. Discounts range from 20 to 50% depending on the popularity and the day.