Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Downundermatt

Over the years we have visited Dubrovnik a number of times and it has become increasing busy, especially if there are a number of cruise ships in. You don't say which month you are visiting but it can also be extremely hot in eg July and August so Cavtat is a lovely option. We went there from Dubrovnik most recently in both 2015 and 2016.

As mentioned above, the #10 bus runs from the bus station at the port gate. It is usually a 30 minute frequency but you can check that online to be certain. Buy your ticket from the driver. Going to Cavtat, be sure to sit on the right side of the bus (when facing the direction of travel ) as you get some beautiful views on this routing, both down and across as the road is mostly high up. Stay on until you reach the terminus which is next to the Tourist Info Office where you can pick up a town map.

From there, if you turn the corner you are in the old part of town and the harbour, but my suggestion would be to turn left as you exit the Tourist Info Office and head for the car park which the bus will have passed as it turned into the terminus. At the end of it, there is a pathway which runs alongside the water around a peninsula which will eventually lead you to the same old town and harbour area. The path is mostly surfaced, quite wide, mostly on even ground and partly shaded. There is also plenty of seating along the way. It is a popular walk for people and families of all ages, and along the way you will see people sunbathing, swimming, kayaking etc from the rocks alongside. The views are pretty too and you will also see Dubrovnik on a clear day. Part way around, you could cut in from the walk through the trees but the climb to the mausoleum is quite steep and you would not finish the walk unless you retraced your steps. I am not good on distances, but for this walk I would "guesstimate" maybe 1 and 1/2 miles, or around an hour at a casual pace, stopping every now and then for the views.

Once at the end you could explore the town. Be aware that on a hot day the climb to the mausoleum via the streets could be hard going. We only did that one time. We usually stop in the harbour for an hour or two to enjoy cold drinks in one of the waterfront cafe/bars alongside the mega yachts and the boat trips to watch the comings and goings. When ready to leave you only need turn the corner and you are at the bus station. We find this the easiest as the bus will take you back to the bus station next to Gruz port.

The boat might be a tempting thought, but be aware that the boats to Dubrovnik will take you to the old harbour. From there you will need to make your way all the way across town to Pile Gate at the opposite end and from there you would need to take a bus or taxi back to Gruz.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Cavtat as much as we enjoyed ours.

I have read on here that people took a 1 hr panoramic tour from port to the hill where the cable car goes, then back down into the old town.

Do you negotiate a price with the driver or do they all offer this for the same price.

Any advice/tips on this option would be much appreciated as it does seem a good option to skip the cable car queue.

Thanks Edinburgher for your extensive advice and Dubrovniktravelady for your kind help too.

Its my second visit so I am keen to explore a little outside of Dubrovnik.

We arrive on a Saturday in September at 11am and leave the Sunday night at 7pm.

Planning on visiting Ston one day, and Cavtat the next as I gather they are in opposite directions.

Will both towns be 'alive and open' on a Sunday ? (or is one better to visit either day, hope to use the local bus - is the bus station near to where Celebrity will dock ?

I'm not really into seafood, so was wondering if its worth visiting Ston.

Again am most appreciative of any advice - Cheers

Cavtat and Ston are in opposite directions. Since I live in Cavtat, I am slightly biased and do believe we have more to offer. You can pick up Libertas #10 at the Gruz harbor where most of the ships dock. Verify with your cruise line this is your dock area. The bus fare is 25 Croatian Kuna, cash only no foreign currency nor credit cards. Our Croatian cuisine is not all sea food, although it is very fresh and therefore tastes better than store bought fish. Try a local dish called Civapcici, small veal, beef and or pork sausages, which are fabulous. Never met a person who did not like this dish, it is a Bosnian food and it is served is most of our restaurants, but do check first.

Ston is interesting with the wall and just generally the area. You may want to visit before or after lunch or perhaps enjoy one of the many pasta dishes which will be on the menu. A lovely town to visit, do not miss the salt pans and enjoy your time here.

Usually only smaller ships tender into the old town harbour so you are most likely at Gruz with everyone else. You can only exit the dock through one gateway which practically takes you into the bus station as it is no more than a dozen steps to your right. Buses enter there and exit at the opposite end close to the supermarket. The Cavtat bus stance has been almost at that "exit" end every time we used it.

Have cameras ready on the bus to Cavtat as you get some lovely views, also views of the Old Town from above but you need to be quick for those ones. Be aware that if you return by boat you might find a long waiting line at Pile Gate for buses and taxis back to the dock. We always return by bus directly to the port gate to avoid this.

Sorry, we never visited Cavtat on a Sunday, always other days of the week.

Sassyb69 you could avoid both taxis and cable car lines by taking bus #8 from Gruz to the top cable car station, then walking down.

Cavtat bus #10 from Gruz also passes there, but I do not know if it has a stop there as nobody ever got off or on it there. You would need to check with Libertas.

Sassyb69 you could avoid both taxis and cable car lines by taking bus #8 from Gruz to the top cable car station, then walking down.

Cavtat bus #10 from Gruz also passes there, but I do not know if it has a stop there as nobody ever got off or on it there. You would need to check with Libertas.

Thank you for the tip, I have difficulty walking too far so if I did go for this option is it possible to pay at the top of the cable car rather than walk down ?

I was hoping if we got another couple to share the taxi tour it would be economical and save my legs

You will need to check the cable car website.

Sorry, but I have no idea as we took the bus and walked down. Did notice a short line to get down but I expect that will vary depending on numbers at the time you are there.

High season has begun, do not even try to take #10 from the cable car stop. Very likely you will not get a seat and I know this from experience since I live in Cavtat. During summer months I only begin my trip home from the main bus terminal in the Gruz harbor, exactly where your ship will be docked.

Libertas #8 does not go to the top of the cable car, no bus goes up there. It does run on the road where the entrance is and there is a stop there and it continues down to Victoria. No you cannot pay at the top and walk down, pay at the only entrance and let them know you are only going one way.

I stand corrected. Sorry about that. Thankfully Dubrovniktravelady is on hand with the correct information!:o

It is a few years since we did the bus/cable car/walk down so perhaps it was the #10 for Cavtat which we took from Gruz, getting off at the cable car.

To avoid the ever increasing crowds, since then we only ever go to Cavtat on the #10 We do love it there.

I have read on here that people took a 1 hr panoramic tour from port to the hill where the cable car goes, then back down into the old town.

Do you negotiate a price with the driver or do they all offer this for the same price.

Any advice/tips on this option would be much appreciated as it does seem a good option to skip the cable car queue.

Thank you all for your responses about bus options (or lack of) but if anyone can help with my original question about taxi tours I would be grateful.

Thank you all for your responses about bus options (or lack of) but if anyone can help with my original question about taxi tours I would be grateful.

Hi! I went to the Dubrovnik Tourist Board site because I was looking for info too and found this which I will copy and paste:

Upon entering a taxi, the taximeter must be turned on with the initial (start) value of 27,00 kuna. If the taxi meter is not running, the customer is not required to pay the fare. Each additional kilometre costs 9,00 kuna. Up to 4 people can ride in a taxi. The fare for waiting is 150,00 kuna per hour, and 2,00 kuna for each piece of luggage.

In case of complaints against the taxi services, it will be useful to ask the driver for a receipt with a valid stamp, the description of the service, and the vehicle registration number.

The taxi fare from Gruž Port (from points where boats on cruise lines dock, which is 4 km from the Old City) to Pile, which is the western gate into the Old City, will cost you 70,00 kuna per taxi, while the fare from Pile to one of the hotels in the other parts of the city will be about 80,00 kuna, depending on the distance.

Taxi services can be used for an unforgettable panoramic tour of the city and its surroundings (1 hour costs 385,00 kuna). This kind of tour usually includes a drive across the new ˝Dr. Franjo Tudjman Bridge˝, which offers views of the port of Gruž, Lapad, Rijeka Dubrovačka and nearby islands, then a ride along the Adriatic Highway overlooking the whole city, and finally, a trip to Fort Imperial which is located at 412 metres above sea level on Srđ Mountain, from which you will enjoy an unforgettable view of Dubrovnik and its surroundings.

You can also arrange the price with the taxi driver for a full-day or half-day excursion to the areas around Dubrovnik.

Taxi client: 020 411 411

Plavi taxi: 020 332 222

Taxi Ragusa: 0800 1441

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please when reading the above do keep in mind that Croatia does not use the period in their money quotes, they use a comma. It can confuse some, ask first how much. The current exchange rate today is about 6.61 Kuna for $1.00. This would be shown here as 6,61. Again I stress, ask first if you are not sure.

Sorry we often go off on subjects here. You will find a line up of taxis waiting at the dock, normally guests just get into the next waiting in line. Most of the taxi drivers do have about the same prices for a drive tour, depends on the length of time you desire. Tell the driver you want a one hour tour to the top of Mt. Srd (surge) and a return to one of the entrances to the old town. There is not always a cable car queue, but if it is high season it is possible to wait over an hour. Take the taxi, enjoy the view it is a wonderful photo opportunity and do please enjoy my fabulous retirement home.

Hi! I went to the Dubrovnik Tourist Board site because I was looking for info too and found this which I will copy and paste

Taxi services can be used for an unforgettable panoramic tour of the city and its surroundings (1 hour costs 385,00 kuna). This kind of tour usually includes a drive across the new ˝Dr. Franjo Tudjman Bridge˝, which offers views of the port of Gruž, Lapad, Rijeka Dubrovačka and nearby islands, then a ride along the Adriatic Highway overlooking the whole city, and finally, a trip to Fort Imperial which is located at 412 metres above sea level on Srđ Mountain, from which you will enjoy an unforgettable view of Dubrovnik and its surroundings.

Thank you that's great information

Sorry we often go off on subjects here. You will find a line up of taxis waiting at the dock, normally guests just get into the next waiting in line. Most of the taxi drivers do have about the same prices for a drive tour, depends on the length of time you desire. Tell the driver you want a one hour tour to the top of Mt. Srd (surge) and a return to one of the entrances to the old town. There is not always a cable car queue, but if it is high season it is possible to wait over an hour. Take the taxi, enjoy the view it is a wonderful photo opportunity and do please enjoy my fabulous retirement home.

Thank you for your help, that's good to know

We were in Dubrovnik late May. This sign (see below) was posted on the wall at the port, next to the line of waiting taxis. Note they do only take cash, no credit cards.

CC%20Europe%201296.jpg

More importantly for cruisers, it's clear that they take euros.

When something's priced only in euros it's difficult or impossible to tell whether you'd get better value out of offering local kuna. So if you have kuna it's worth asking the price in kuna and doing some quick mental arithmetic.

JB :)

I'm sure this has been asked but we we in Dubrovnik last May. We did the wall, cable car, lunch at the top on the mountain and back down into the city for shopping and gelato. We are looking for ideas for something new this time. In port from 8-5. Would love to do Split but I don't think there is time for that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just there and the cab driver suggested taking the three of us to Cavtat and another place (maybe a fort?) for three hours. I forget the price but about 140 euros? I would do that if we returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no way you could do Split, distance is too great. You may want to check out tours to our Konavle area, wine tasting and a stop in Cavtat. That would fill your day very nicely and it is a lovely way to spend a day here.

Thank you so much! We will have to come for another trip to see Split I really want to do that. If we decide to do Cavtat and revisit the Old Town and shop more than we did last time. Would you suggest Cavtat in the morning or the afternoon. Also how easy is it to get a cab from Cavtat or should we set that up for the return trip when we get dropped off? Also one more question. How long would you allow for Cavtat? Are you still loving retirement in Croatia? I spoke with you some before my last trip there and thought of you while I was in your country. Our plan is to retire and do VRBO's for a month at a time a few times a year to different country's to really get a feel for what life is like there.

Carnival Liberty 2014

Carnival Liberty 2015

Carnival Conquest 2015

Carnival Vista Inaugural 2016

Next Carnival Horizon Inaugural 2018