CC Help Jenn

Week of October 31: First Cruise

Out of curiosity, How old were you when you took your first cruise?

Where did you cruise to?

Would you do anything differently if you had it to do over?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding

I was 25 years old. We took a trip to the Eastern Caribbean, but due to Hurricane Georges, we were diverted to the Western Caribbean. The ship was the Enchantment and it rocked terribly. There were 4 hurricanes in the Atlantic at the time.

I think we would have picked another time of the year to sail.

10 years ago yesterday we were engaged in Cozumel. That was our 1st cruise together. We were on the Grandeur and it was a horrible storm. Lost all of the alcohol, dining room closed. People sick everywhere. Lots of people with life jackets on. They slept anywhere they could. Other than the first three days the rest was a piece of cake. They keep getting better and better. Age- 49. :)

Edited by 1luckylady

I was 40. It was on the Pride out of Baltimore and no I wouldn't have changed anything. We got married on the ship and then sailed for our honeymoon.

Larry

My first cruise was last week to the Bahamas at age 46. It was Carnival Ecstasy out of Charleston with a group of 5 women and 3 teenage girls for a birthday. No do-overs except our call to HMC was cancelled due to high winds. I will be cruising in the future.

Our first cruise was last year - I was 47, the hub-unit was 48. It was our first vacation without kids or dogs. We did a 7 night cruise to the Western Caribbean and had a wonderful time. I wouldn't change a thing.

I was 28 when I sailed on my first cruise aboard the old Carnival Mardi Gras (

Empress of Canada) on a 3 night sailing to Nassau, Bahamas. Developed a great affection for old, classic ocean liners from small ones all the way up to the SS Norway (SS France).

Hooked on cruising ever since.

We did our very first cruise 7 years ago Nov 29 2009 it was a anniversary cruise on Carnival Legend. We will be celebrating our 52 anniversary Dec 5 so we were not young! We did have a good time, We snorkeled in every port. One of our ports of call was Roatan. This was back when they were just going to be opening there private location Mahogany Bay. Which was not suppose to be opened for our cruise well they decided to bring us there. We had booked a private excursion from locals and was suppose to sail into coxen hole. We didn't get told of the change till that morning. I am sure many were delighted of the switch but we had already paid for our excursion. Being first time cruises this was a concern for us. So had to figure out how to get out of there and then found out Carnival was not allowing local tour guides to even come up the road to pick us up. We had to walk quite a distance up hills and down hills and up hills again and My husband was out of breath and almost collapsed.Which was quite scarry, He claimed was just stress. Well finally one tour guide snug in and said I don't care who you booked with someone is sneaking a van in to pick everyone up so just stay here and we will come and get you so you don't have to walk all these hills. I told my husband as soon as you get home you are going to a doctor to be checked . Which He did and He ended up in the hospital with a triple by past! So am thankful He didn't have a massive heart attack and die on me on our first cruise! I thought it was horrible that they wouldn't let the local tour guides come in to get their customers and is why we never sailed with Carnival again! Our 2nd cruise was NCL and pretty much have done all our cruising with them going on the NCL Epic this month and is our 21'st cruise with NCL

Out of curiosity, How old were you when you took your first cruise? 27 and it was our honeymoon cruise

Where did you cruise to? Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on Carnival Festivale. The itinerary was San Juan; St. Thomas; St. Maarten; Dominica (half day); Barbados; Martinique; Sea Day; San Juan.

The one thing I'd have done differently was take triple or quadruple the amount of film so I could capture the beauty of these islands. But that could get expensive to have it all developed.

I guess you can say I have since made up for that on two recent cruises on Carnival out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean. The only difference is that they now got to St. Lucia and St. Kitts instead of Dominica and Martinique, but the rest of the itinerary is the same. We cruised in May 2013 and did it again in September 2015 and got about 3000 pictures each time. With digital, you can never take too many but have the option to delete the ones that don't turn out. :D

My first Cruise I was 25 years old in 1981

We cruised to Nassau and Bermuda.

If I had the chance to do it over I would have listened to my mother and not married my Ex-Wife. Now I am happily married and we go anywhere we want to.

Edited by bluebeard39
put in the year

My first cruise was a 3-night sailing out of Miami that went to Nassau and Freeport. I was around 24-25 yrs old (1970's) and I sailed with my mom and a friend on the Carnival Carnivale. This was back when Carnival's chef added bacon bits to every dish and the French toast looked liked zepplea! We had an inside cabin that had bunk beds and lockers for closets. However, we did have a complete bathroom with shower and sink. Since I had never sailed before we decided on a short sailing to see if we liked cruising and if we would get sea sick. This was back in the day when you took a Dramamine and fell asleep at the dinner table!

Now, with about 80-90 sailings under my belt, I use Sea Bands and can enjoy my cruise while being wide awake and not feeling sea sick at all!

MARAPRINCE

;) I was 59, only 2 years ago. I went on a 8 day South Exotic Caribbean cruise with a friend. I learned a lot of what not to do on my first cruise. We had a Facebook group that was set up months in advance of the cruise and had planned to do a lot of things together as a group. Unfortunately I didn't print out the activity plans prior to going on the cruise and I only was able to go to the meet and greet when we first got onboard. I did run into other members of the group throughout the cruise but missed most of the fun stuff. Also I learned to not wait for my friend and just go out and do things on my own. I never did the sky ropes course on the ship and I do regret that.

Edited by lvcotatian

Where did you cruise to?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding

I was 29 .We cruised to Bermuda from NYC on a Cunard ship.We fell in love with Bermuda and with cruising .

I am so happy that we decided to book the cruise.

I am 50. DH is 59. Our first cruise will be 12/4/2016. Going to the Bahama's. Celebrating 20 years of wedded mess...wait I meant bliss! :)

I was 40 and we went to the Eastern Caribbean on Royal Caribbean. It was over whelming at first with so much to do but it hooked us and we have cruised over 12 times since

My first cruise was in 1990 when i was 26. My husband and i were on the Empress of the Seas in a window cabin and sailed around the bahamas.

Even though it was a small ship we had such a good time that we were hooked for life.

Have now done over 40 cruises and are having a blast.:D

I was 24 and went on the Admiral Lines Emerald Seas to the Bahamas. If I had it to do over, I would have saved up to go on a nicer ship....it almost put me off cruising but I'm glad I tried it again.

I was 22, newly married and working in a travel agency. Tour companies, airlines, cruises, hotels, etc. used to give away freebies as a "fam trip (familiarization trip) in the hopes the travel agent would sell their product if they were familiar with them. I don't know if they do this anymore.

Anyway, I attended an event hosted by Premier Cruises (the Big Red Boat) which was associated with Disney at the time. They gave everyone who attended, a certificate for a free 4-night cruise to the Bahamas, subject to availability. We were supposed to call 2 weeks in advance and they would tell you if there was space available for you to sail. Of course, when I called 2 weeks in advance, i was told there was no availability. We were going to be vacationing in Florida anyway, so I asked if I could go standby. They agreed and literally 15 minutes before they set sail, we were given a room and told we could board.

I remember thinking it looked NOTHING like the Love Boat. We were packing into the dining room like sardines. It had to have been a fire hazard. The ceiling was just above your head if you were standing up, and once you were seated, there was no way to get out until the entire dining room exited.

My new husband was in grad school and he was in between semesters, so we were thrilled to have this vacation. After having done several more cruises later in life, I can see just how awful this one was, but we had fun anyway!

Empress of Canada) on a 3 night sailing to Nassau, Bahamas. Developed a great affection for old, classic ocean liners from small ones all the way up to the SS Norway (SS France).

This was also my very first cruise. It was a 7 day New Years eve cruise 1979-80. Had a great time, still going strong.

Allan

my very 1st cruise, I was a teenager on the Ecstasy. my parents won a cruise and took me with them. I really don't remember much about it other than we had an inside cabin and it was really short.

We went to Key West and Cozumel.

I didn't cruise again for almost 2 decades! soooo.....something must have stuck with me.

I and wife took our first cruise 20 years ago with Carnival out of LA. Just a short 3 days, but it was like heaven to me ! Only been on three cruises so far with number four planned for Feb 2017 out of Galveston TX. I'm hooked, and we have plans for another two cruises between now and end of 2018. I was 50 and wife was 42 years old at the time we took our first cruise. It was our early Christmas present. Our older kids took the same cruise the week before us, and when we went alone on our cruise, the older kids took care of our youngest. Worked out perfect for wife and I to get out alone .

I was 30, it was our honeymoon on a 4 night cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. We stopped in Key West and Cozumel. October 2003. 13 years strong, baby!

Took first cruise when I was 42 years old

Went on a Caribbean cruise to Playa del Carmen, Mexico; Grand Caymans, Cozumel, Mexico & a private island

Would not change a thing!!! Ended up at a dinner table with six fantastic companions about our age & enjoyed side trips, beach trips etc with them. Also kept in touch with them after returning home and found out four of them lived in our neighborhood. Small World!!!!!!!!!

My first cruise was 8 years ago. I was 53. My husband treated me for our 10th wedding anniversary to an awesome week on Disney Wonder. He sprung for the Jr Suite w/concierge! It was incredible. When we got in our vehicle to go home, I cried. He asked what was wrong and I blubbered, "Someone else is eating my fruit!!" I was actually angry that I had to get off that ship! :)

I was 21 and we took a cruise to Bermuda from New York. If I could do it over again I would choose to go with some one other than the person I went with.

My first cruise with my late husband was in 1986 on the very small, very old Ocean Islander. Though it had only 250 pax we met 6 delightful people in the dining room and spent the week going on excursions with them. The cruise was to Denmark and Norway - the first "Fjords and Fairytales" cruise. The North Sea was very rough, we were wishing we had seat belts on our beds ;-) but we didn't get seasick. It was fantastic and I wouldn't change a thing.

I was 13 on my first Cruise. 1989...out of Orlando I think. Somehow the ship was associated with Disney? My parents, a friend of my Dad's, and I. I remember LOVING the ice sculptures, the fancy dining room, and reading on the deck! We took our first cruise as a family last year, hubby, son, daughter, me. I Loved the fancy dining room and reading on the deck. Lol. It was so wonderful to spend time with my family. My kids had such a great time :)

I was 45 and booked an Alaska cruise as a surpise 10th anniversary gift for me and my wife 10 months in advance.

If I had the to do it it over I would try to keep it a surprise longer than 3 weeks:D

First cruise was at age 40.

It was an Eastern Caribbean itinerary during the middle of November. We were on the "old" Westerdam. We were in the middle of a tropical depression the entire sailing including 65mph winds and 30 foot swells. At our port of call in Nassau, the gang plank fell into the water. Luckily, no one was on it at the time. They had to get 6 tugboats to keep the ship up against the pier. The entertainment on the night of the worst waves was Chinese Plate Spinners! They actually managed to get 12 of the 16 plates spinning as the ship rocked back and forth and up and down.

Despite the conditions, we thoroughly enjoyed our time aboard and have been on 16 more cruises since then, primarily on Holland America.

In September 2012, my husband and I took our first cruise at age 44 for our 10th anniversary on the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Thanks to Hurricane Isaac less than 2 weeks before our sail date and having booked the Early Saver fare, we ended up with over $500 in onboard credit!!! :D We had a starboard aft cabin with a "bowling alley" balcony - wonderful cabin. Unfortunately, the engine vibrations set off a migraine which kept me down for 3 days. :( We had a great time for the remainder of the trip, and I have learned not to book a cabin too far aft. :)

I was 53 when i took my first cruise on HAL to the western Caribbean. I got hooked on cruising & my next cruise will be #111 #112 #/113 are booked

Where did you cruise to?

My first cruise was in 1965 aboard a converted ferry out of Miami to Nassau. So I was about ten. However, I barely remember that cruise, so I don't count it.

The first cruise I count was in 1999 in Alaska. I was 43 and we were on a ship built in 1957 or 1958. It had nothing [no theater, no heated or covered pool, none of the bells and whistles the modern (since 1985) ships have]. While sea days were relaxing, they could get a bit boring. So, if I could do it again, I would like a more modern ship.

In fact, I am doing it again on the Emerald Princess in 2018. This is a round trip out of Los Angeles (a drive to port for me) and some of the 12 night cruise is spent getting to and from Alaska. So it is basically only a one week Alaska cruise. In 1999 I was on a two week round trip out of Vancouver, and thus got to see a lot of Alaska.

I was 46 and we had been wanting to cruise for years so I was so excited about my first cruise....we also went for our 30th wedding anniversary....Off to the Western Carribean....We renewed our wedding vows...it was so meaningful and special....

I would not change anything about our trip....

Our first cruise was in 2005 to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. He was 39 when we boarded, but 40 when we got off. LOL. I was 34. We went on the Norwegian Dawn out of NYC to Florida and the Bahamas. Those days they did 2 Florida ports (Miami and Port Canaveral) and 2 Bahama ports (Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay) with an overnight in Nassau. It was a 7 night cruise too.

Since then, we've gone on the Norwegian Jewel twice and the Norwegian Breakaway twice and we are booked on the Breakaway again in January.

First cruise NCL Dawn a few years ago. Woke up grabbed my coffee and stepped out on the balcony, to look up and see the mega ship Oasis of the seas docked next to us and I'm standing in my underwear in front of hundreds of people just across the dock!

The ship was so large It was blocking the sun and I thought it was still dark outside. What I would do differently: always wear clothing when stepping out on the balcony. :)

https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=Coke98&date=1-15-2017&text=Leaving%20the%20Ohio%20snow%20behind%20!!%20&ship=Norwegian%20Jade

Edited by Coke98

Where did you cruise to?

I was 54,

We went on the Pride of America,

No.

Our boys actually bought us the tickets a nice ocean view on deck 5.

Our middle son had just came back form Hawaii with his GF and asked his mom what Island we liked best. Her answer was "we have never been to Hawaii" He then stated why you sent me to England, my brother to Australia, and my other brother all up and down the east coast, where did you guys go? Her answer "to work to pay for it". :lol So they bought us the cruise for Christmas.

Took the cruise and BAM the wife was hooked:) well me also.

I was 57 years young and quickly contracted the Cruisemania bug. We went to Bermuda on the Empress of the Seas which is slightly larger than a lifeboat on our upcoming cruise on the Harmony

I was 25 - 10 nights in the Caribbean on Celebrity Millennium for my honeymoon. Wouldn't change a thing! Almost 7 years married, my husband and I are getting ready to take our 6th cruise in February. :cool: It will be our almost 3 year old's 2nd cruise (her first was at 18 months) and our then 6 month old's 1st cruise ;) To say we're hooked is an understatement :rolleyes:

Edited by CruisingGiants