Cruise Critic Community
JEM4205

Is this an upgrade or not?

Not to be looking a gift horse in the mouth but, I received a call from HAL yesterday informing me that we were being upgraded from a category VE balcony, on the navigation deck, to a category V balcony, on the Verandah deck. What is your take on this good or bad?

This will be our first cruise on HAL so I have no way of comparing them to any other ships we have sailed on.

Edited by JEM4205
added commas

Upgrades within the same category are not worth much. The rooms will be identical, just in different locations.

I would check a deck plan and find the actual room and see where it is. Check out what is near it to see if you have any concerns. If there is any reason to be concerned come back here and ask about it. Be sure to tell us the room number and ship. Somebody will be familiar with it.

Edited by Tom O.

Not to be looking a gift horse in the mouth but, I received a call from HAL yesterday informing me that we were being upgraded from a category VE balcony, on the navigation deck, to a category V balcony, on the Verandah deck. What is your take on this good or bad?

This will be our first cruise on HAL so I have no way of comparing them to any other ships we have sailed on.

Category V on the Eurodam is indeed a higher category than VE. So, you have gotten an upgrade :)

Be very careful with the V cabins on the Veranda deck. Cruise Deck Plans warns that this range of cabins (V5051 to V5140) are directly above the lifeboats, hanging one deck below. If you are sitting in your cabin, looking straight out, you don't see the boats. But, if you are out on your balcony, and looking down, all you see are the tops of the big orange lifeboats. Some CC members consider these cabins as "partially obstructed". HAL considers it an upgrade because they are mid-ships cabins and on a lower deck, and less susceptible to ship motion. But the VE grade cabin you had on the Navigation deck is also close to mid-ships, but also close to the elevators.

I was offered a VA cabin on the Veranda deck on the Zuiderdam, over a VD cabin on deck 6. When I saw the cabin, I said "no way". The view on the balcony, looking down, was big orange lifeboats and the balcony was notably less deep than my original VD cabin. I stayed in the VD cabin.

NOT an upgrade IMO. They've switched you to a cabin with a smaller balcony (4 ft deep instead of 6 ft on the Nav deck) and right above the lifeboats. I disagree that those deck 5 mid-ship cabins are the best of the V class. They used to be classified as VE or VF until a couple of years ago.

See http://halfacts.com/signature-class/ for pictures of Eurodam 5090 and Nieuw A 5122.

See http://halfacts.com/signature-class/ for pictures of Eurodam 5090 and Nieuw A 5122

Edited by jtl513

Upgrades within the same category are not worth much. The rooms will be identical, just in different locations.

I would check a deck plan and find the actual room and see where it is. Check out what is near it to see if you have any concerns. If there is any reason to be concerned come back here and ask about it. Be sure to tell us the room number and ship. Somebody will be familiar with it.

The ship is the Nieuw Amsterdam and I have yet to be notified what room is available. By checking my booking online it only states that it is a

V category to be assigned later.

Be very careful with the V cabins on the Veranda deck. Cruise Deck Plans warns that this range of cabins (V5051 to V5140) are directly above the lifeboats, hanging one deck below. If you are sitting in your cabin, looking straight out, you don't see the boats. But, if you are out on your balcony, and looking down, all you see are the tops of the big orange lifeboats. Some CC members consider these cabins as "partially obstructed". HAL considers it an upgrade because they are mid-ships cabins and on a lower deck, and less susceptible to ship motion. But the VE grade cabin you had on the Navigation deck is also close to mid-ships, but also close to the elevators.

I was offered a VA cabin on the Veranda deck on the Zuiderdam, over a VD cabin on deck 6. When I saw the cabin, I said "no way". The view on the balcony, looking down, was big orange lifeboats and the balcony was notably less deep than my original VD cabin. I stayed in the VD cabin.

I agree. In 2013 we were in 5080 and didn't enjoy the view of the top of the life boats. At that time, however, these cabins were classified as VE, not V, so we paid quite a bit less. Although your cabin would be more midships, a consideration if motion sickness is an issue, the view doesn't compare with that on the Navigation Deck. On the other hand, you might experience some noise from the Lido Deck immediately above you if you stay on the Navigation Deck.

Personally, I'd decline the upgrade if possible, but that's just my preference.

Edited by Fouremco

We never book guarantees, because I figure they will end up putting us in a cabin that nobody else wanted. All cruise lines seem to have cabins that are undesirable yet they have a premium classification. I suspect the cruise lines do this so they can move people who have guarantees to these cabins and have them believe they have an upgrade.

You have to ask yourself, why are these cabins still available?

We never book guarantees, because I figure they will end up putting us in a cabin that nobody else wanted. All cruise lines seem to have cabins that are undesirable yet they have a premium classification. I suspect the cruise lines do this so they can move people who have guarantees to these cabins and have them believe they have an upgrade.

I agree with you. Further, I think the upsells are allocated BEFORE the guarantees are assigned, thus potentially taking up the better locations.

We love navigation deck. Always try to book our cabin midship or aft. Very convenient to get to Lido deck and noise has never been an issue for us.

All conspiracy theories aside, when HAL gives you an upgrade, it only means you will be assigned a stateroom that they can charge more for. Generally this is a good thing. Only you can say if you prefer one over the other based on your cruising preferences. When you book a guarantee, you are saying you will take any stateroom in that category or up. I can't tell from your post if you booked a specific stateroom or a guarantee. If it was for a specific room, you can either leave it open to upgrades or request no upgrade.

If this was a guarantee, then you can look on the deck plans at all possible VE and all possible V, and you'll get an idea. You'll be on a ship on the ocean... I don't think you can really lose. Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this was a guarantee, then you can look on the deck plans at all possible VE and all possible V, and you'll get an idea.
If the VE was a gty, they would not have called, just simply assigned the V. Edited by catl331

Crew News, your picture looks like a suite. I thought the V category was a regular veranda type room. If it looks like this, it's definitely an upgrade.

Also remember that if you have a V category, you could still be assigned a VQ which has a very small veranda. But then again, the next level is a suite.

Edited by OVgirl

Crew News, your picture looks like a suite. I thought the V category was a regular veranda type room.
Correct.

Crew News, your picture looks like a suite. I thought the V category was a regular veranda type room. If it looks like this, it's definitely an upgrade.

Also remember that if you have a V category, you could still be assigned a VQ which has a very small veranda. But then again, the next level is a suite.

Looks like a suite to me too ;). Looks like a Signature, but I'm not good at guessing as so much depends on camera angles ;)

Edited by kazu

I have been in a V on the veranda deck and an VE on the navigation deck. We prefer the navigation deck because it is more convenient to the lido where we spend a lot of time. I also like the panoramic views from the higher deck.

The V is a higher category veranda stateroom. Some people like its location ..lower and mid ship for a smoother ride. It is closer to the MDR and public areas on decks 2 and 3. It does have a smaller balcony although it is sufficient for two people to sit out at the same time. The tops of the life boats weren't too much of a problem. If you look out instead of directly down you won't really notice them.

Oooops. My error was copying the image NEXT to the correct one on my website. I pasted SS6084. Here is V5106:

V5106.jpg

I agree with you. Further, I think the upsells are allocated BEFORE the guarantees are assigned, thus potentially taking up the better locations.

We also never book guarantees. We don't want any surprises.

Also agree that HAL will try upsells for the better cabins and then assign the guarantee cabins.

We have only had one experience with an 'upgrade' on our first Alaska cruise on the Westerdam. We had booked a VD I believe (surprised they use this category designation). A price increase ensued after final booking and our big store TA worked hard (and was successful) in getting some OBC concessions from HAL. One of the 'perks ' was a several category cabin upgrade (to the mid ship balcony). I was leery but the TA was encouraging so I took it.

My wife seldom complains but when we saw our cabin we were crestfallen.

It was very dark with covering over balcony and and directly over lifeboats.

It was midships but this was little consolation to us. We sprinted down to Guest Services and I was willing to spend any amount of $$$ to change cabins.

Fortunately they found a high up bow cabin which we were very pleased with.It was no doubt several categories lower but at the time I would have gladly spent 500 more for this 'lesser' cabin. We are always careful to not accept any 'upgrades' now.

We have only had one experience with an 'upgrade' on our first Alaska cruise on the Westerdam. We had booked a VD I believe (surprised they use this category designation). A price increase ensued after final booking and our big store TA worked hard (and was successful) in getting some OBC concessions from HAL. One of the 'perks ' was a several category cabin upgrade (to the mid ship balcony). I was leery but the TA was encouraging so I took it.

My wife seldom complains but when we saw our cabin we were crestfallen.

It was very dark with covering over balcony and and directly over lifeboats.

It was midships but this was little consolation to us. We sprinted down to Guest Services and I was willing to spend any amount of $$$ to change cabins.

Fortunately they found a high up bow cabin which we were very pleased with.It was no doubt several categories lower but at the time I would have gladly spent 500 more for this 'lesser' cabin. We are always careful to not accept any 'upgrades' now.

Well put! My feelings exactly. Must be very careful with guarantees if you are "picky" about your cabin and location.

Same thing happened to us, but we had a VD grade guarantee. We booked a VD guarantee, but 14 months early, with full payment at time of booking. About 2 weeks before sailing, our TA told us that out guarantee was finally assigned, but still in a VD grade cabin, VD-6006. Our TA felt that because we booked so far in advance and paid in full at that time, we should get a better offer on the guarantee. HAL agreed and assigned us VA-5098, which is right next to the outside glass elevators, and right above the lifeboats. Armed with lots of advise from CC and pictures from other websites, we realized that our "upgrade" was far inferior to the original cabin we had. Our TA disagreed and said we were getting an upgrade from VD to VA and we should take it. Thanks to some kind folks on CC who told us that these "VA" cabins used to be VE because of their very narrow balconies (4 ft depth, forget about a lounge chair) and also had a wonderful view of the lifeboats below. We pitched a fit with our TA, and HAL put us back into VD-6006 and we loved it. A nice balcony and a beautiful view. We were told that it is very rare that HAL will reverse a guarantee assignment, so from then on, we NEVER select guarantee, or as HAL describes it, "Let us select your cabin for you"

Edited by TAD2005

We had booked a VD I believe (surprised they use this category designation).

I chuckled when I saw your comment. But then I remembered that I used the term VD in a comment to my adult children, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

It seems the "politically correct" people had changed the term to STD, and that nobody under the age of 40 is familiar with the older term.

Here is a sample V-category stateroom on the NA from May 2016:

SS6084.jpg

Is it a regular verandah or a suite?