Cruise Critic Community
marienbad

Symphony Drydock

It appears that the Symphony will be in drydock in September 2017 for about a month.

There were many rumors about what changes will be made when we were onboard including making the staterooms bigger, adding a specialty restaurant. Wonder if anyone has any real information about what will will be done? Hope Crystal will make an announcement about this soon.

Interesting timing. If Crystal decides to change the configuration of Symphony to add suites and allow open dining, it stands to reason that capacity will be reduced. How will they handle sold out cruises in '18? 8218 has been sold out for months, with a wait list of at least 200 (according to some people on this board)? I'm sure there are other sold out cruises. Gonna make a bunch of people angry if that is the plan.

Interesting timing. If Crystal decides to change the configuration of Symphony to add suites and allow open dining, it stands to reason that capacity will be reduced. How will they handle sold out cruises in '18? 8218 has been sold out for months, with a wait list of at least 200 (according to some people on this board)? I'm sure there are other sold out cruises. Gonna make a bunch of people angry if that is the plan.

Even 8218 isn't sold out -- just in the "cheap seats". Penthouses, penthouse suites and the Crystal penthouse are all still available. And, at least one agency evidently has (or did, until recently) cabins in a block they are holding.

Anybody who is booked will be invited to opt out of the cruise, receiving some financial compensation. I don't think "a bunch of ... angry" people is an accurate assessment.

I also expect there will be offers to "move up" for modest sums of money.

I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see.

And, at least one agency evidently has (or did, until recently) cabins in a block they are holding

Still does - as evidenced by a number of members reporting their confirmed bookings on the roll call thread for v.8218

Wonder if anyone has any real information about what will will be done? Hope Crystal will make an announcement about this soon.

So do we all - Actually that's what we were expecting in October - who knows when and how we will hear about the "massive" enhancements planned

Edited by Bodogbodog

I believe the Symphony will only have 13 days in dry dock before our cruise in October 2017. We are doing a B2B starting in Barcelona on October 3 2017 and we board straight after the dry dock.

I am worried that Crystal may decide to extend the dry dock and knock our cruise off their schedule even though the first leg of our cruise seems almost booked out.:confused:

So, I hope they let us know something soon as I am wanting to book our flights from Australia to Barcelona - the flights are already available to book and I like to be organised well in advance.

Cheers, Angie

If what I heard while on the recent TA cruise is true, it is a smart move and will make a lot of us happy. Very happy.

I believe the Symphony will only have 13 days in dry dock before our cruise in October 2017. We are doing a B2B starting in Barcelona on October 3 2017 and we board straight after the dry dock.

I am worried that Crystal may decide to extend the dry dock and knock our cruise off their schedule even though the first leg of our cruise seems almost booked out.:confused:

So, I hope they let us know something soon as I am wanting to book our flights from Australia to Barcelona - the flights are already available to book and I like to be organised well in advance.

Cheers, Angie

Andy, Angie is right. The drydock is only 13 days and it is likely to need to be extended if extensive remodeling is to be done. Can you find out for us if it is to be extended to earlier or later or both? Those of us booked on 7219 can already be buying our air now as well as those on 7220 very soon. We waited out the month of October for the announcement and got nothing of any use.

We don't need details now, just confirmation that our cruise will or will not exist so we can get those bargain early airfares.

Thanks for your help.

If what I heard while on the recent TA cruise is true, it is a smart move and will make a lot of us happy. Very happy.

So what did you hear :confused:

Saying you heard something and it's a smart move and then not sharing makes little sense

It's almost like a Crystal Press Release comment :(

Edited by Bodogbodog

Even 8218 isn't sold out -- just in the "cheap seats". Penthouses, penthouse suites and the Crystal penthouse are all still available. And, at least one agency evidently has (or did, until recently) cabins in a block they are holding.

Anybody who is booked will be invited to opt out of the cruise, receiving some financial compensation. I don't think "a bunch of ... angry" people is an accurate assessment.

I also expect there will be offers to "move up" for modest sums of money.

I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see.

Invited to opt out? LOL. You mean told to pay up or get out.

What if those of us in the cheap seats choose not to "opt out"? LOL. I don't think we'll get that kind of option -- we'll get the option to pay more, or be kicked out. Hence the likelihood of a bunch of angry people. I'd be one of them.

Invited to opt out? LOL. You mean told to pay up or get out.

What if those of us in the cheap seats choose not to "opt out"? LOL. I don't think we'll get that kind of option -- we'll get the option to pay more, or be kicked out. Hence the likelihood of a bunch of angry people. I'd be one of them.

I think you will be compensated if you choose not to pay more for better accommodations. I also think there will be more compensation, if it's within 11 months to your sail date.

Soon we'll know (I think).

So what did you hear :confused:

Saying you heard something and it's a smart move and then not sharing makes little sense

It's almost like a Crystal Press Release comment :(

I think acker heard about open dining and larger accommodations, for fewer cruisers, just as we heard Oct. 31st.

That's what we heard, right?

And btw, I don't think the CDR has to be able to accommodate all of the cruisers (other than the ones at the specialties) all at the same time. Just as some cruisers like to choose to dine at 6 or 6:30 and some prefer to dine at 8:30, the guests will arrive at various times, not all within a half hour.

And somebody asked about the shows -- will there be just one per evening -- and I think the answer to that might be yes, some nights, and no, some nights.

I think acker heard about open dining and larger accommodations, for fewer cruisers, just as we heard Oct. 31st.

That's what we heard, right?

And btw, I don't think the CDR has to be able to accommodate all of the cruisers (other than the ones at the specialties) all at the same time. Just as some cruisers like to choose to dine at 6 or 6:30 and some prefer to dine at 8:30, the guests will arrive at various times, not all within a half hour.

And somebody asked about the shows -- will there be just one per evening -- and I think the answer to that might be yes, some nights, and no, some nights.

A Crystal Maitre D' once told me that to offer true open seating they MUST (even if it will never happen) be able to seat everyone, between the MDR and specialties, at 7:00 PM. I suspect that is where the "operative" number of 650 - 700 guests comes from.

Edited by Roland4

They probably won't.......but if they say they can seat everyone whenever they want, they'd better be able to do so (i.e. have the capacity and staff). Otherwise, they'd just be saying "you can dine whenever you want, except for the lineup you might face so you might have to wait an hour".

I think you will be compensated if you choose not to pay more for better accommodations. I also think there will be more compensation, if it's within 11 months to your sail date.

Soon we'll know (I think).

You missed my point entirely......we won't be given the choice to sail or not, we'll be given the choice to pay more or not.

We'll be forced into paying more if we want to take the cruise that we've had booked for close to a year......and that's what will make people angry. Being paid for being kicked out of our reservation doesn't mean we won't be angry for not being able to take the cruise we've been planning for.

Andy, Angie is right. The drydock is only 13 days and it is likely to need to be extended if extensive remodeling is to be done. Can you find out for us if it is to be extended to earlier or later or both? Those of us booked on 7219 can already be buying our air now as well as those on 7220 very soon. We waited out the month of October for the announcement and got nothing of any use.

We don't need details now, just confirmation that our cruise will or will not exist so we can get those bargain early airfares.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Ter777,

It's my pleasure to assist. I've reached out to our Crystal team. As soon as I have additional information to share, I will post on this thread. Thank you for your patience.

I have strongly recommended Crystal to someone, but it is right after dry dock, so I don't want to be hung out to dry! LOL

Having been on open dining ships, when they have the Captains Wecome and Farewell and society parties they line up at the MDR after these events which puts added pressure and slower service on the waiters. Good example is SS and Regent. 7:30 is a popular time for most people to eat. BTO nights are popular on Crystal and the specialty restaurants are usually lightly booked and have more officers dining there on those nights. So at times you will not just be able to walk in.

Having been on open dining ships, when they have the Captains Wecome and Farewell and society parties they line up at the MDR after these events which puts added pressure and slower service on the waiters. Good example is SS and Regent. /QUOTE]

Yes- those dining rooms open at 6:30 PM and and the dining room lines are crazy. Same with Oceania - everyone want to go at the same time.

I didn't want to mention what I heard because it might not be true although I have every reason to believe it is.

What I heard was that Crystal is going to shrink some of the admin offices way down below to make room for more crew cabins which will allow them more (wait)staff and the ability to offer casual dining in the Lido each night. It won't be Tastes b/c Symphony still has to deal with v limited Lido kitchen/grill facilities but having a casual walk-in offering each night makes me very happy.

Please remember it's just what I heard, I could be way off the mark.

If the number of cabins are changed by enlarging the current standard ones - I assume there will be renumbering on decks 7, 8 and 9.

Does that make sense?

Peggy

If the number of cabins are changed by enlarging the current standard ones - I assume there will be renumbering on decks 7, 8 and 9.

Does that make sense?

Peggy

I don't think they will be reconfiguring rooms on all decks on either ship that don't have suites.

When they did the ones on Serenity they didn't renumber the ones that we not impacted. They just skipped those numbers.

It will all come down to how many they end up doing.

Keith