Pre pay Service Charges

The maintenance crew, desk staff, steward, bar tenders

all get an equal cut?

No idea how it's split, but the bar staff don't get any. That's why there is a separate gratuity on drinks.

As to the question of prepaying, we do so as it's cheaper for us in the UK, but I do like it not being on the onboard bill. It makes it slightly easier to see what you have spent.

No idea how it's split, but the bar staff don't get any. That's why there is a separate gratuity on drinks.

As to the question of prepaying, we do so as it's cheaper for us in the UK, but I do like it not being on the onboard bill. It makes it slightly easier to see what you have spent.

Is this always the case or just because the current NCL eschange rate is better than the real exchange rate?

The drink charge is a service charge. Do the bartenders even get all of it or does some go to the house for "expenses"?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is this always the case or just because the current NCL eschange rate is better than the real exchange rate?

The drink charge is a service charge. Do the bartenders even get all of it or does some go to the house for "expenses"?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It has been the case for years now. Currently we pay £8.50 compared to $13.50, which is a rate of 1.58. It's been a while since the exchange rate was better than that, although obviously it's exceptionally good at the moment.

I've no idea how the service charge is split.

The gratuity on my statement that has been paid is $198 total for the beverage package gratuities for 2 people.

The $189 yet to be paid is the daily service charge for gratuities for on ship(nothing to do with the beverage package), this can be paid now or later.

Other than the $189 that I will pay, there should be no other gratuity service charges, correct?

Yes! I'm sorry for the confusion. I was thinking the $99pp was $189. Duh. I wanted to make sure you understood there were two different kinds of gratuities. Your latest post shows that you do. The $189 is usually referred to as the Daily Service Charge, DSC.

We always prepay ours, partly to help with budgeting by paying it on a different cycle of the credit card.

But mostly we prepay it to make the final accounting paperwork easier to read since it won't have those additional lines: daily charge for each person is 2 charges per day for every cruise day.

Edited by NMLady
DSC

We always prepay ours, partly to help with budgeting by paying it on a different cycle of the credit card.

But mostly we prepay it to make the final accounting paperwork easier to read

since it won't have those additional lines: daily charge for each person is 2 charges per day for every cruise day.

NCL could make the paperwork easier.:o

Just pay it on a later cycle of your credit card.

NCL could make the paperwork easier.:o

Just pay it on a later cycle of your credit card.

NCL could make just one charge per person for the total DSC but then the Guest Service line would be even longer questioning that amount.

Not sure what you mean by 'pay it on a later cycle of your credit card'.

Since we pay our credit card off completely every month, we'd pay the entire onboard account amount.

NCL could make just one charge per person for the total DSC

but then the Guest Service line would be

even longer questioning that amount.(?)

Not sure what you mean by 'pay it on a later cycle of your credit card'.

Since we pay our credit card off completely every month, we'd pay the entire on-board account amount.

Just One Charge,

I agree; Pax would see just the total amount, as shown on their My NCL ,

all on one line, and pay it

on their next billing.

I'm not sure why people think they need a clean, clutter-free folio statement.

If someone can't sort out a dozen or two line items on a cruise account statement, I struggle to understand how they manage the rest of their lives.

Why is this even a real discussion?

If someone can't sort out a dozen or two line items on a cruise account statement, I struggle to understand how they manage the rest of their lives.

It's not that you need one, but it's nice to have it.

Probably not as important now that iconcierge is available on most, if not all, ships but when we used to have try rely on getting account printouts the extra lines would mean extra sheets of paper on a longer cruise.

I never prepaid just for that reason, but it's a small benefit of you do so.

We booked our Dec 2015 cruise about 11 months early. At the time, the DSC was $12. We then got 2 emails at later dates, increasing the DSC, 1st to $13, then $13.50. Because we booked before either increase, we were given the option to pay the DSC at the original $12 rate. But we had to prepay in order to get the lower DSC.

Not a need but since we do longer cruises it helps not to have 56 extra lines on a 28 day cruise. It's cuts down on pages not just lines.