A Very Fond WELCOME BACK COTTON

MrPete

Glad to hear you're back, Cotton. It's true - CC can be a great diversion. Of course, a CRUISE is an even better diversion! Glad you got to go. We felt guilty going to Europe for the Liberty but, just as everyone said, the mess was still here when we got home!

It's hard for those that aren't in this area to understand that you never really "get away" from the destruction and devastation. If you can lose yourself on the Internet, helping others as Cotton always does, it's a good stress reliever. I'm so proud of our state and the people on our coast that have the attitude "We will rebuild together". It wouldn't be possible without the help from everyone else located all over the world.

My family in Gulport is managing though each day is a bit of a struggle for my elderly parents but they're hanging in there. I hope things improve every day and that you continue to have the strength you need to rebuild your life.

Welcome back Cotton from Mobile and a big ol' fellow Holiday lover. DW and I plan on cruising again on the Holiday just as soon as we can get her out of Pascagoula and she completes her refurbishment. Hope to be able to meet you on a future Holiday cruise!

Richard

Wow! Thx for the kind welcome-back posts. Y'all have made a really bright spot in my day! I seem to be blessed with so many caring people in my life.

Y'know, maybe I should've tried to evacuate to the Holiday:D ....didn't give it a thought at the time, but I certainly would've felt 'at home'.

Great to see ya back Cotton!!!! You have such a positive attitude after all you have been through... I hope your life can start to be restored to normal soon... Keep your chin up. I'm so glad you were able to slip a cruise in!!! I know that had to help get your mind off things temporarily!!!!

Cotton, It's so good to have you back ! Remember, we have a "date" whenever the Gumbo Shop re-opens.:D How did your DD's apartment fare? We wandered around in the Quarter last weekend and really enjoyed being back in the city. Do you need anything ??

Cotton,

Welcome back, you were missed.

May I be the first to welcome you to the genteel world of FEMA tin candominium living. We "earned" our trailer [camper, really] thru Hurricane Jeanne Sep 26, 2004. We just got back in our house a couple of weeks back.

You will find the trailer to be a period of adjustment, a loooooong period of adjustment. For a while we tried to tell ourselves that it was just like a cabin on a cruiseship......Wrong......

Are you in a trailer "camp" or is it on your own property? We were lucky to have room to spot ours in our side yard. Still sitting there awaiting FEMA's haulaway crew.

A word to the wise, cooking is problematic in the confines of a trailer. Thus encourgaging eating out, often at fast food joints, and take-outs causing weight gain. Watch out for that Also, practice your patience and consideration now, it will be needed. A plus is that Barb and I both realized the need for more patience, consideration, and tolerance for one another and it made a good bond even stronger. But trailer living will test you.

And of course, if you don't have a cruise booked, book one now for after you're back in your home. We leave in less than 2 weeks.

Looking back the 'TRAILER YEAR' went fast and I hope you will be as fortunate as we were in returning to your home ASAP.

Good Luck to you.

Dan

Welcome back Cotton,

If you can find one of the fans from Walmart that is vertical in height that goes back and forth, it helps in cooling the camper while not taking up much room. It also helps during the winter to circulate the warm air. The one we use helps a great deal in our camper at the fireworks tent we manage in Hattiesburg during the holidays. Those little ceramic heaters also work great to supplement the propane heating.

If there is anything we can do for you, just shoot us an email.

Dave

quote=dan40]Are you in a trailer "camp" or is it on your own property?

My son's house (not too much damage) is on 3 acres on Biloxi's Back Bay. The trailer is in his yard. What's left of my beachfront property is eroded.

A word to the wise, cooking is problematic in the confines of a trailer. Thus encourgaging eating out, often at fast food joints, and take-outs causing weight gain.

Not that many places open to 'eat out', so no prob there.

And of course, if you don't have a cruise booked, book one now for after you're back in your home.

I hope you will be as fortunate as we were in returning to your home ASAP.

I have no home to return to, Dan.:o

---------------

Again - Thx, SO much, for everyone's thoughts. I sincerely appreciate y'all.

Cotton, sorry to hear that your loss was so great. If its any help to you, we had a bedroom and 2 bathrooms left after Jeanne so it looked pretty grim. But now we're back in the house [still some work to be done] and the furure is brighter

In many ways a ground up construction is easier than a partial rebuild. I know that doesn't sound like a positive now but working around what was left actually was an impediment. Plus most contractors are new build types and any that have done it before would rather pass on rebuilds.

I know all that is hard to see now, but it does get better.

Keep your spirits up and best of luck to you.

Dan

*sigh* It's just SO very heartbreaking to have lost my 160 year old home. It can never be replaced, nor all my family antiques and mementos. (Among all the tiny pieces of wood and rubble, I found part of one scrapbook, three shoes, and the face from my great-grandmother's clock.)

BUT - Looking forward...!...maybe a few months down the road, my lot can get worked on and I might build something else there. Loved my view!:)

I'm really trying to look on the bright side. Really, I am. Just have a few pity-party moments from time to time.

All WILL be ok!

Cotton, as I said before, you have been in my thoughts VERY frequently lately. As close as I am to all the devastation from Katrina, we were VERY VERY lucky to still have a home to return to. Had we been just a few miles in either direction, we'd have nothing left. I was sitting at my daughter's dance class last week and of the 8 little girls in class, 6 have lost everything - so I listened to everyone talking about waiting on FEMA trailers, wondering if they would rebuild, etc. Same story at the grocery - standing in line, hearing most people talking about how all they have left is a slab of concrete. I still have friends who are "MIA" - I have NO idea where they went and if they are returning.

I'm just an hour and a half up the road - if there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask. And I DO hope to meet up with you soon at the Gumbo Shop :-)

Susan

Thx again Dan. I appreciate all the words of comfort - and they are comforting indeed.

Susan, it WILL happen...one day. You and Selucrey and I MUST have lunch at Gumbo Shop. My DD in the Quarter is waiting anxiously for it to reopen, as well. :)

Cotton,

So sorry for your lost. We are part time Mississippians in Pass Christian. Our house is still standing, but totally flooded. I miss the Coast so much. It is so sad. My family in NO and Slidell lost homes too. We had a big group of us that went on the Glory this past June. More than half of the families that went had their homes affected or flooded. Little did we know when we were cruising on June 29, that 2 months later, August 29, such tragedy would affect our lives.

We are rebuilding in the Pass and will be cruising again. I hope to be back on my deck in MS again and back on the deck of a cruise ship too.

Take care!!

Welcome back, Cotton-so glad that you are OK & that your family is OK. That's the most important part. And for those of you who have been involved with this horrendous time, if you or anyone you know is a member of the American Legion or Amer. Legion Aux., there are emergency funds available for your use if you need it. Just call any State Legion or State Aux. office & the information will be given as to how to apply. My very best to all who have been affected-you are all still in our prayers.

So glad to see you back on these boards. You were missed deeply and thought about often. It is so tragic to lose your home, but more importantly to also lose your momentos. Sometimes they are more "valuable" than a house. You have every right to throw a pity party once in a while. I feel like I know you so well from these boards and know that you will rebuild, cruise again, go antique shopping and be just fine;)

Archived