Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Update from Princess Re: Diamond

According to Julie Benson, Princess' director of public releations, the damage to Diamond Princess' starboard prop was limited to scratches on the tips of the blades, which divers ground down prior to the ship leaving Seattle. The ship is cruising near normal speed at 20 knots, and there is no reason to believe that the ship would need to be taken out of service for any further repairs.

"We are definitely not canceling canceling any cruises," Benson told Cruise News Daily Sunday afternoon.

The Cruise News Daily website will be updated as further details become available.

Alan Wilson

Cruise News Daily

Thank you for posting this so quickly. There will be a lot of cruisers grateful to you. icon_cool.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Thanks Alan....and thanks for the special edition of Cruise News Daily

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

Thank you Alan, you have made my day and my elderly mom very happy. You are appreciated!!

Lynda

Alan,

Thanks for your quick update. We are leaving on the Diamond next Saturday.

Commodore 1998,1999

Triumph 2000,2001

Inspiration 2002

Pride 05/31/03

Diamond Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;5;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Thanks for the info!...I can relax a little now.

Scandinavian Sun

Emerald Seas

Island Princess

Seaward

Norway

Westward

Sensation

Facsination

Majesty of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Inspiration

Norwegian Dream

Norwegian Sun

Grandeur of the Seas (June 2002)

Carnival Paradise (Sept 2002)

Grand Princess (June 2003)

Disney Magic (Sept 2003)

Diamond Princess (June 2004)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Diamond Princess Here We Come!

I haven't seen any recent postings from anyone currently on the Diamond. I wonder if the internet service is down. Usually we are hearing from someone on board each day.

Also, will be interested in hearing anything Princess might announce today. Usually more reliable information is given on the weekdays since they are working with a full crew. Anyone hearing anything, please let us know.

Thanks,

Lynda

Why would they cancel 2 ports if they already fixed the problem? Not to mention they will have to pay the fine for breaking the Jones act by skipping Victoria. Just curious.

Next: Coral Princess 6/04 Dawn Princess 10/04

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman

http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman1

Coral Princess 4/04, (Canal-FLL-VAN), Conquest 12/03 -New Years, Norwegian Sky b2b 12/03, Carnival Pride 06/03, Star Princess 03/03, Norwegian Star 07/02,Voyager of the Seas 06/01, Ecstasy 12/00, Exporer of the Seas 11/00, Zaandam 08/00, Destiny 04/00, Nordic Empress 08/99, Rhapsody of the Seas 04/98, Sensation 12/96, Legend of the Seas 8/96, Imagination 8/95, Jubilee 3/92, Sovereign of the Seas 10/88

They are stopping in Victoria, no passengers will get off. Just to fill out paper work.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Just got off the 15 May cruise. Many of us missed our connections due to the delay getting back to Seattle after the "incident" in Victoria. Princess did a terrible job of telling us what went on that caused the 3 1/5 hour delay getting on the ship, and an even worse job during the delay getting off. We were put up in a hotel after hearing various people say that the next two cruises had been cancelled. At the hotel we went to there were several people who were going on the 22 May cruise and who had been sent to the same hotel to wait and see what happened. They were picked up and taken to the dock around 7PM and it is my understanding they departed about midnight.

The internet was down for about 3 days - with no explanation.

kkorman,

Why would the Jones act come in to play if they are returning to the port of origin?

John H.

I think part of the Jones Act refers to cruises that begin and end in US ports, where non-US flagged passenger ships must make a port call in a foreign port.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 till happy hour

BjkTX, internet service was lost after the power outage those first few days out. I spoke to the future booking sales rep & at that time he told me they didn't expect the internet to be working for the rest of the cruise! Thank goodness the net did start working again in Victoria, or many travelers would have been hysterical with their flights and such.

Anyways, I also feel that we were kept in the dark about the ship's problems. But I'm sure that was to keep the passengers from getting out of control. I was getting tired of all the negative comments myself, it's not as if Princess set out to ruin our vacations on purpose. But I was disappointed that the phones in our room did not work and I tried about 5 computers waiting for each to work.

I am curious as to what happened with the passengers that paid top dollar to book a later flight out. I told several people to wait till they got to the airport but for those traveling with seniors they needed to have their flights guaranteed.

As I posted before, in spite of the mishaps I still had a great time.

Majesty of the Seas (2)

Norwegian Dawn

Monarch of the Seas

Diamond Princess (5/04)

Didn't mean to mislead - I was responding to prior questions - we had a wonderful time too! Even if I did have to go to work on 2 hours sleep this morning because we didn't get in until midnight last night - my boss is used to me sleeping at work :-)

Of course, BjkTX. Alaska was heaven on earth, huh? Just wanted to let you know why the internet wasn't working. Happy travels icon_smile.gif

Majesty of the Seas (2)

Norwegian Dawn

Monarch of the Seas

Diamond Princess (5/04)

I am on her at this time, checking in, we are making good time, about 18 knots, we are not at maximum and did leave port about 12 hours late, this caused the schedule change, not many people happy about it. Princess announced a few hours ago they would make the $500 credit fully refundable and would be refunding port fees for missed ports as well.

Over all we feel they have done better than most lines would have under the circumstances but there are many upset about missing Juneau.

As if we weren't having enough fun there is a viral outbreak and the horizon court has sanitiszers and you can not serve your self.

Ship feels rock solid, and we make Skagway port in about 2 hours from now.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by srphnx:

I am on her at this time, checking in, we are making good time, about 18 knots, we are not at maximum and did leave port about 12 hours late, this caused the schedule change, not many people happy about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well at least you're not going to be able to say that this cruise wasn't memorable! icon_smile.gif

hopping-bunny.gif

Time until Sailing

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

No idea on the number but we get daily additions to the restrictions, as to damage, no big deal I have pics of it from this mornings walk into Skagway. Princess has done it's best fixing the issues but communication has been spotty at best.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Steve or anyone else,

Please keep us posted on the viral outbreak. Hopefully, it's not serious.

Thanks,

Lynda (departing in 4 days)

Hello, this is my 1st post, We will be leaving on the Diamond the 28th of May, so as you can well imagine my curiosity got the best of me with regards to the problems encountered on the Diamond last Friday in Victoria. I thank everyone for the updates. I spoke to Princess not too long ago and they assured me that the incident was very minor and they did not anticipate any problems with the next sailing dates. Hea Lynda perhaps we will run into each other.

Hi Wildbadger,

Yes, maybe we'll run into each other on the embarkation line. I'll probably be number 2300. Just joking, of course. Here's a toast to a great cruise. Happy times, and new friends. Since I'm at work right now, this toast is unfortunately being made with a bottle of water.

Lynda

Oh my Srphnx, very interresting because on our last week's Diamond staff made passengers use hand sanitizer in the Horizon Court. But by the 2nd day people were just getting in line as usual. I saw MANY passengers grabbing the food with their bare hands so I'm not surprised there was an outbreak. Wishing you all the best and hope you have a fantastic voyage icon_biggrin.gif

Majesty of the Seas (2)

Norwegian Dawn

Monarch of the Seas

Diamond Princess Alaska

Grand Princess 9/04

Lynda, We have 2 cabins D 214 and D 216. I am not sure about the open verandah's , but I would guess that as long as the weather is nice , there should not be a problem. This will be our 7th Princess Cuise but the 1st Alaska cruise so this will be an entirely new experiance, and coming from Florida we do not have a lot of warm clothing.