FOUND: Wedding Ring in Safe

JLODK

How can some of you think the employees are 100% honest? I know from first hand experience that in many places it is "finders/keepers" and people who turn things in are made fun of, so much so it can become headline news.

Case in point, Wisconsin goes to the Rose Bowl in 1994. Most of the state goes as the team hadn't been there in over 30 years. Newspapers in LA report Badger fans turning in lost items that they find on the street. Made fun of for being midwest nice. As a fan who made the trip, left something on a charter bus- last hotel to be dropped off at. Concierge at the hotel contacted bus line- drivers clean the buses- and no such luck.

I'm not sure what the right thing was to do on this. I am trusting of the staff as a whole. One thought though for all of the people that believe in the honesty of the staff. Why all the posts asking how big the safes are? Why is everyone locking things away in the safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We put cash, passports, and jewelry in the safe. Not comfortable leaving those items unsecured.

Many times I do as well. It also helps me keep valuables together as I tend to misplace things. I'm not judging either way but it seems like some are saying it should have been left to the staff to return the ring but it also seems they only trust some of the staff.

I'm in TOTAL agreement with the OP, I think the chances of the rightful owner getting their ring back is 100% better the way you did it than to turn it in. You are taking the steps to locate the proper owner. I don't think the ship would even have the names of who was in your cabin before you for previous cruises!

You have contacted the correct personnel with Royal Caribbean. They have the records of the persons that were in your cabin previously. Just because you found it does not mean the persons in the cabin prior to you are the ones that lost it. It could have been several cruises ago, some persons never check the safe and who knows how long that ring was there.

I think it is very improper to be accusing you of committing a theft, if anything I praise you for your honesty and making the attempts you have to find the legal owner.

When persons ask what are you going to do with it if you can't find the owner, I guess that is a bridge you cross after you have made every other attempt in finding the owner. If Royal cares and the owner of the ring filed a report, there should be no problem with the ring being returned to the owner.

Geez, I am getting so tired of all you negative name calling persons out there, stop it! Just for a short period could you please try and help persons with their posts instead of flaming, negative comments and snarky replies.

This used to be such a great site to visit and read positive and negative reviews and assist each other. Now it is becoming a slush bucket of almost every post has to have a snarky reply.

go ahead and bring it on, I have thick skin but I am tired of a lot of your nasty comments.

I have heard many story's when people have left item's in their cabin or hotel room including ourselves and it is the last they see them.Cleaning staff either bin or keep them and the ship or hotel disclaim any responsibility. I think you did right and surely RCI would know who were in that cabin and forward your telephone number.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Many times I do as well. It also helps me keep valuables together as I tend to misplace things. I'm not judging either way but it seems like some are saying it should have been left to the staff to return the ring but it also seems they only trust some of the staff.

Our experience has been poor with getting items returned that we left behind, so if I was in the position of the OP, I would have mixed feelings about leaving something valuable with the ship.

I don't think the ship would even have the names of who was in your cabin before you for previous cruises!

You have contacted the correct personnel with Royal Caribbean. They have the records of the persons that were in your cabin previously./QUOTE]

And the ship's personnel has access to the same people at RC. Better access than a customer, I would think.

Geez, I am getting so tired of all you negative name calling persons out there, stop it! Just for a short period could you please try and help persons with their posts instead of flaming, negative comments and snarky replies.

This used to be such a great site to visit and read positive and negative reviews and assist each other. Now it is becoming a slush bucket of almost every post has to have a snarky reply.

go ahead and bring it on, I have thick skin but I am tired of a lot of your nasty comments.

NO ONE has been snarky. People have offered different perspectives, but all have done so respectfully. No one outright called the OP a thief. Just pointed out that taking it could be seen as a form of theft. In fact, no one has called ANYONE any kind of name. Again, they've offered their perspective. Which they are entitled to do on a public forum. Most of them said they understand the OPs reasoning, but still think it's not the best move. What's wrong with that?

I am the person who found the wedding ring in the safe on our last day. While I appreciate that everyone took the time to read my post, the puspose of my post was to get the message our there, not ask for your negative opinions of my choices. it wasn't necessary to post your personal opinions of whether you think I am a thief or not. ....

I know that if I lost my wedding band, I would certainly check the community boards of the cruises and since cruise critic comes up #1 on google, it's good odds.

I feel it's very necessary to state my opinion so that no one else chooses to do what you did.

You found something and you didn't report it and you took it to your home. No matter what your intentions are, you have someone else's property right now.

It's like reading posts on disney boards by people who find a lost kid, pick them up, and carry them around the store or wherever trying to find the parents. That's NOT the right thing to do, ever. Stay near the child, alert the employee, don't let anything happen to the child, but my gosh do not touch the child, move the child, or do anything else that looks hinky. Picking up a lost child looks hinky. And so does taking someone's property to your home.

Honestly it's about protecting YOU, too. I'm worried that you don't realize this.

I would check with cc and fb too. And I would flip out if a person responded saying that they took my item off the ship. I would expect to hear "I found your item and followed proper protocol by turning it in to those in charge".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel it's very necessary to state my opinion so that no one else chooses to do what you did.

You found something and you didn't report it and you took it to your home. No matter what your intentions are, you have someone else's property right now.

It's like reading posts on disney boards by people who find a lost kid, pick them up, and carry them around the store or wherever trying to find the parents. That's NOT the right thing to do, ever. Stay near the child, alert the employee, don't let anything happen to the child, but my gosh do not touch the child, move the child, or do anything else that looks hinky. Picking up a lost child looks hinky. And so does taking someone's property to your home.

Honestly it's about protecting YOU, too. I'm worried that you don't realize this.

I would check with cc and fb too. And I would flip out if a person responded saying that they took my item off the ship. I would expect to hear "I found your item and followed proper protocol by turning it in to those in charge".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone has a opinion and that does not make your's right. The OP did report it. Your opinion is just that an opinion not a fact. I would choose to do what they did. Your analogy is like comparing apples to oranges not apples to apples. Instead of flipping out that someone took the effort to reunite you with your property, be grateful you got it back at all.

As someone who left a wedding band in the safe. Right after disembarking we were in a taxi heading to the airport when the item was noticed missing. Returned to the port and was told we needed to make a report through the 800 number because we were not allowed to contact the ship. Even though it was right in front of us.

If anyone has been on the phone with Royal Caribbean customer service number that would have been a nightmare. Luckily we had the concierge number(we were in a suite during that cruise) and was able to contact her directly. She located the ring and had it brought out to us.

If someone would had found it and did what the OP did, I would have stood a better chance of getting it back then waiting on RC. Have you ever tried getting a refund that was due without going through hoops? if someone was nice enough to go the extra mile to try and locate the owner, all of my praises to them. The ship would have put it the lost & found and moved on because they have thousand of needy cruisers that must be satisfied NOW. Not someone that has been there and gone. Who is to say that is was the cruisers on the ship just before them. No one really knows how long that ring has been in that safe.

The OP is making every effort possible to do the right thing and I hope your good deed doesn't go unrewarded. I am not talking monetarily either. May God Bless you kind heart.

I believe the OP had good intentions, but I think taking it off the ship was a bad idea for liability reasons. At this point you have taken responsibility for that ring by telling royal and the whole world that you have it. If you misplace it, it's stolen from you, or gets lost in shipping; what if the owners come after you for the replacement value. By leaving it in royals possession, you did your good deed by turning it in, and you don't have any liability if something happens at that point.

It make them horrible people for them to do that their. Let's say they left the ring in the safe, go home, call royal and it's lost, never to be found. They will claim it as stolen and likely recover the value under homeowners insurance. Now, you took it and someone breaks into your house tomorrow and steals it. Their owners insurance may cover it, may not. Their insurance may want yours to pay for it since it was in your possession. Or if it's lost, same deal, you took possession of it. It's a much more complicated situation now than just leaving it on the ship.

Edited by sanger727

A lot of very good opinions. We always check our safe thoroughly when leaving so I think it would have been the people who had the room before you.I think in hindsight I would have left the ring with lost property and gave them my telephone number because if it had been our ring I would like to personally thank and reward the finder.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Everyone has a opinion and that does not make your's right. The OP did report it. Your opinion is just that an opinion not a fact. I would choose to do what they did. Your analogy is like comparing apples to oranges not apples to apples. Instead of flipping out that someone took the effort to reunite you with your property, be grateful you got it back at all.

As someone who left a wedding band in the safe. Right after disembarking we were in a taxi heading to the airport when the item was noticed missing. Returned to the port and was told we needed to make a report through the 800 number because we were not allowed to contact the ship. Even though it was right in front of us.

If anyone has been on the phone with Royal Caribbean customer service number that would have been a nightmare. Luckily we had the concierge number(we were in a suite during that cruise) and was able to contact her directly. She located the ring and had it brought out to us.

If someone would had found it and did what the OP did, I would have stood a better chance of getting it back then waiting on RC. Have you ever tried getting a refund that was due without going through hoops? if someone was nice enough to go the extra mile to try and locate the owner, all of my praises to them. The ship would have put it the lost & found and moved on because they have thousand of needy cruisers that must be satisfied NOW. Not someone that has been there and gone. Who is to say that is was the cruisers on the ship just before them. No one really knows how long that ring has been in that safe.

The OP is making every effort possible to do the right thing and I hope your good deed doesn't go unrewarded. I am not talking monetarily either. May God Bless you kind heart.

And that is your opinion, not fact......:rolleyes:

Well if you are so tired about it, I´d say you should stop reading the boards. Everybody is entitled to have an opinion - even you - and to share it unless the mods stop him / her. So it´s really not your call.

The only right Thing to do is to turn in the ring. It is not up to the OP to Play Sherlock Holmes.

I also agree with those thinking this is bordering on theft.

Stories on the Internet about itmes not reunited wit their owners are absolutely no indication about how good or bad the lost and found works. It´s simply single stories without proof and without any relation to the number of lost items Overall.

If I´d lose anything I´d want it to be turned in and not being taken off By someone like the OP.

So riddle me this, what does the OP do with the ring when no one claims it. Lets see if we get a response from the OP on this?....K.O.....:confused::(

I wonder how many of the other folks who say they never got their left behind items actually had the items taken by other cruisers who will "look for the owners on their own". :confused:

I can see turning the ring in to Guest Services or Security, then post on social media they did so. Taking the item off the ship? Nope.

Thanks again to everyone for keeping the post alive for us - the exposure will certainly increase our chance of the owner seeing this.

Just an update: Contacted Royal Caribbean on Monday to let them know about the ring. Called again today as we hadn't heard back and they let us know that it takes 5 business days for the ticket to get to the correct department. Once they hear back, we will get a call with the details of how we can get the ring back to its rightful owner or ship it directly to their head office. It is not our intention to keep the ring until the owner comes forward, simply to expedite the process of finding the owner instead of leaving it up to the ship.

Thank you all for sharing your feedback. Whether you agree with my decision or not, I did what I believe is the right thing to do given the experiences we had on the ship / read on boards regarding lost property. I stand behind my decision to take the ring off the boat and none of the negative comments will change that. I believe that the chances of getting the ring back to its rightful owner are much higher with someone actively pursuing Royal Caribbean to find the owner rather than dropping it off and walking away. The ring is off the ship now - so your comments will not change that and reprimanding those who agree with my decision is not necessary. The original post was not asking for your personal perspectives, but simply an effort to get the word out. If the owner of the ring doesn't agree with my choice, I will deal with that when the time comes - however, I am certain she/he will be focused more on the happiness of having their ring back than to worry about the process of how it got back to them... Please understand that the ring will not stay in my possession for much longer - it was simply steps to make sure it was actively pursued via RC.

I will not be making any further comments or reading any further negative posts, with the exception of an update on the ring when I have one.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks again to everyone for keeping the post alive for us - the exposure will certainly increase our chance of the owner seeing this.

Just an update: Contacted Royal Caribbean on Monday to let them know about the ring. Called again today as we hadn't heard back and they let us know that it takes 5 business days for the ticket to get to the correct department. Once they hear back, we will get a call with the details of how we can get the ring back to its rightful owner or ship it directly to their head office. It is not our intention to keep the ring until the owner comes forward, simply to expedite the process of finding the owner instead of leaving it up to the ship.

Thank you all for sharing your feedback. Whether you agree with my decision or not, I did what I believe is the right thing to do given the experiences we had on the ship / read on boards regarding lost property. I stand behind my decision to take the ring off the boat and none of the negative comments will change that. I believe that the chances of getting the ring back to its rightful owner are much higher with someone actively pursuing Royal Caribbean to find the owner rather than dropping it off and walking away. The ring is off the ship now - so your comments will not change that and reprimanding those who agree with my decision is not necessary. The original post was not asking for your personal perspectives, but simply an effort to get the word out. If the owner of the ring doesn't agree with my choice, I will deal with that when the time comes - however, I am certain she/he will be focused more on the happiness of having their ring back than to worry about the process of how it got back to them... Please understand that the ring will not stay in my possession for much longer - it was simply steps to make sure it was actively pursued via RC.

I will not be making any further comments or reading any further negative posts, with the exception of an update on the ring when I have one.

Merry Christmas!

Royal Caribbean has a dept for this sort of thing. From your posts you seem to think the items turned in on the ship never leave the ship. You are going to end up sending the ring to the same place it would have ended up if you had not taken the ring

OP, I appreciate your heart and desire to reunite the ring and its owner, but you took this matter into your own hands when you shouldn't have. This was not your decision to make. Your posts are well written and articulate, but they also seem to come with a bit of attitude - that you and only you are correct in this situation.

Again, I understand what you were doing, but in my opinion and in the eyes of many others here, you made the incorrect choice.

Again, I understand what you were doing, but in my opinion and in the eyes of many others here, you made the incorrect choice.

What none of you seem to realize is that the OP has a number of others who agree with what they did and most likely would have done similar. Why do you feel,the need to keep reminding them of your opinion?

I think until the owner comes forward or the ring is returned to Royal this thread should be done. The OP has gotten more than enough grief from posters here.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk