Sapphire Reserve credit card by Chase

CaveDiving

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We had the same thoughts and, in fact, we dumped our AMEX Platinum in favor of getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  When an AMEX rep asked why we were downgrading our Platinum we told them the truth, that the Chase Sapphire Reserve offered a lot more for the money.  We also could not take full advantage of the AMEX tie in with Uber.   So now, Chase is doing something similar to AMEX Platinum.  We shall wait and see all the details of both cards and decide which best suits our travel habits.  Currently, there are no other cards even close.

Hank

The Chase Sapphire Reserve's annual fee is going up to $550, adding Lyft and Doordash perks through 2021.  There are other premium credit cards, and even rumors of more launching this year, but Chase and Amex have the best transfer partner options.

We chose the Platinum Business to compliment our Gold cards, for the 35% travel portal discount, lounge access, hotel status, and cruising perks ($300 added to our Rotterdam cruise).  On the flip side, I had to switch my TA, and don't get the Sapphire's travel protections, so they may both be good for cruising in different ways.

9 hours ago, clo said:

So you pay from the portal so it's 1.5 plus the 3X?

I was talking about the point redemption.

But yea, essentially all travel and dining purchases will net you 4.5% back when you are redeeming them for travel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I was talking about the point redemption.

But yea, essentially all travel and dining purchases will net you 4.5% back when you are redeeming them for travel.

I'm having trouble  understanding this.  If I spend $1000 on travel, I would get 3x points?  IE, 3000 points.

Then when I redeem these points in the portal for travel, I would get 15 cents per point? Or, These points would be worth $45??

some of the other benefits are great, including trip cancellation (for medical reason) medical evacuation $100,00, medical emergency is just $2500 (but medicare plan f pays internationally), car rental insurance. I've saved on every trip since I got the card since I no longer pay for trip insurance.

48 minutes ago, vacationut said:

Call me crazy, but I got the card. I compared what reward back on another card and it was basically the same. The difference is all the travel perks SR has. 

Now be sure to use them! Remember those points are worth a lot more used on the Ultimate Rewards site -- I didn't realize this (for 15 months!) and used them all up on Amazon cuz it felt like free money!

Put the app on your phone which you use to gain entry to the Priority Pass airport lounges, etc.

We can be crazy together. I love being paid for something I was going to do anyway!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Put the app on your phone which you use to gain entry to the Priority Pass airport lounges, etc.

We haven't traveled an enormous amount since getting the CSR but have struck out on PP. UA is no longer participating. And I don't want the free food. I want a lounge where I can sit and relax. That may be why we go back to the Chase United Club Card.

Edited by clo

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Now be sure to use them! Remember those points are worth a lot more used on the Ultimate Rewards site -- I didn't realize this (for 15 months!) and used them all up on Amazon cuz it felt like free money!

We can be crazy together. I love being paid for something I was going to do anyway!

I've activated the Priority Pass. What I don't understand is it looks like there is an annual fee and a use fee. Do you still have to pay the use fee?  

@cloWe have only been denied entrance once (Portland OR), where the signboard said it was capacity controlled, despite seeing ONLY empty seats from the entrance.

They aren't First Class/VIP lounges, but at least some do have comfy seats. LHR had only bistro seating, but they did have free British beer!

Have never researched what OTHER cards Chase might have. I used to fly United preferentially, but now most of our flights are included (with a tour) without much ability to choose. Sometimes the ability to upgrade, but we are cheap! We have or have had Chase Freedom, Chase Sapphire Preferred, now CSR. My Freedom card gives better points on Amazon so keeping it for now.

6 minutes ago, vacationut said:

I've activated the Priority Pass. What I don't understand is it looks like there is an annual fee and a use fee. Do you still have to pay the use fee?  

We haven't yet (in two uses, so not exactly an expert). And there are new changes. I guess ask your banker?

I *think* you have paid the fee in paying for the CSR. Other people get the Priority Pass separate of an annual fee credit card?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

@cloWe have only been denied entrance once (Portland OR), where the signboard said it was capacity controlled, despite seeing ONLY empty seats from the entrance.

The Points Guy (way above my understanding usually) has talked a lot about CSR and one big complaint is not getting access on PP when it was sitting empty. And if that airline's lounge has a flight going out they'll restrict it.

For some years we used the Chase United Club Card which is $450 and give 1.5 points for every $ spent. And free checked bags. And Star Alliance lounge entry. The CSR has better trip insurance. We'll see.

15 minutes ago, vacationut said:

When we got the CSR, IIRC, we got an email with the downloadable app and then later by mail got an actual card. No fee.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm having trouble  understanding this.  If I spend $1000 on travel, I would get 3x points?  IE, 3000 points.

Then when I redeem these points in the portal for travel, I would get 15 cents per point? Or, These points would be worth $45??

3,000 UR points, worth $45 through the travel portal.  Some transfer these points instead to lucrative airline partners, mostly business and first class international, and would value those points at $60.

I am knew to "premium" cards but considering one of the chase sapphire cards. We don't travel extensively but it would be nice to get the trip insurance benefits that it includes when we do. Are there any other cards you know of that include similar trip insurance benefits?

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I am knew to "premium" cards but considering one of the chase sapphire cards. We don't travel extensively but it would be nice to get the trip insurance benefits that it includes when we do. Are there any other cards you know of that include similar trip insurance benefits?

Bank of America Premium Card is a close copy, except evacuation is maxed out at 15K.

19 hours ago, sanger727 said:

A good rule of thumb (but not the be all end all) is that the premium travel cards with annual fees of $400-$600 generally include some pretty solid coverage. A quick google search will help you find and compare them.

For the most part, there's lots of the same coverages. A few differences in benefits, small print, etc. You'll generally see baggage delay, trip delay, trip cancellation, medical, medical evac, rental car, etc. Many cheaper cards include some of these coverages too, but they will be quite scaled back, even sometimes not useful.

Take some time and read up on them. I would use the insurance as a secondary reason unless something REALLY sticks out. I'd start with what up front benefits you would use the most. Like cash back that mirrors your common purchasing habits, other travel perks you would make use of, etc.

I chose Chase because of its generous cashback categories, insurance, easy to claim travel credit. Even with the increase in the annual fee that just happened, it brings the "effective" annual fee to $250 a year (after you claim the very easy $300 travel credit). I absolutely exceed that amount in just "travel insurance" that would have been out of pocket. Let alone priority pass, global entry, no foreign transaction fees, and tons of rewards.

• Like 4

The Chase Sapphire Reserve card has been the true bargain in the travel card industry, so it is not surprising that they are making changes.  Consider that the card, until now, has cost $450 a year.  But the card rebates $300 of travel charges which includes just about anything travel related such as airlines, cruises, hotels, etc.  This means that for anyone who travels the card actually costs $150 a year.  The card also covers Global Entry for the card holder and that is $100 every 5 years or $20 per year.  So now you have a card that actually costs you $130 a year.  For that price you get Priority Pass for you and your party (that alone is worth far more than $130 a year,$10,000 to $20,000 in trip cancellation insurance, CDW auto insurance that is Primary, Evac insurance, etc etc.  The card is truly a no-brainer for those of us who do a lot of traveling and a pretty good deal for those who only take a couple of trips a year.  

With the newly announced higher fee we will again look at the various competing cards but I suspect that Chase still wins the prize.  I previously mentioned that if you use the Chase points to book hotels on the Chase web site, those points are pretty valuable.  With the sign-up bonus points (which vary) the card may well pay for itself for the first several years.

Why doesn't everyone get this kind of cars?  You must have an excellent credit rating and many do not.  One also must have an investment mentality (spending some money now will get you a decent return) and many do not!  While I see the card as an excellent investment/value many others would just see $450 or $550 for a card!

Hank

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

A good rule of thumb (but not the be all end all) is that the premium travel cards with annual fees of $400-$600 generally include some pretty solid coverage. A quick google search will help you find and compare them.

For the most part, there's lots of the same coverages. A few differences in benefits, small print, etc. You'll generally see baggage delay, trip delay, trip cancellation, medical, medical evac, rental car, etc. Many cheaper cards include some of these coverages too, but they will be quite scaled back, even sometimes not useful.

Take some time and read up on them. I would use the insurance as a secondary reason unless something REALLY sticks out. I'd start with what up front benefits you would use the most. Like cash back that mirrors your common purchasing habits, other travel perks you would make use of, etc.

I chose Chase because of its generous cashback categories, insurance, easy to claim travel credit. Even with the increase in the annual fee that just happened, it brings the "effective" annual fee to $250 a year (after you claim the very easy $300 travel credit). I absolutely exceed that amount in just "travel insurance" that would have been out of pocket. Let alone priority pass, global entry, no foreign transaction fees, and tons of rewards.

Paying for a cruise with the Sapphire preferred is like getting an additional 3-4.5% discount (depending on whether you spend your points in the Chase portal) on top of whatever deal you might have gotten from your TA.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

As usual, very good points. My first knee-jerk reaction was a negative one. But then I did the same math as you. In addition we'e never had trip insurance before but last spring I had a bad fall and wish I'd had it. And IIRC their medical evac is $100k . I still chuckle when we use it at drive-thru McDs when on the road. Yeah, 3x even for that.

Let me ask this. If we switch we'd likely go back to the Chase United Club Card. They currently have a 50K signup bonus. And they have free checked bags and lounge (UA and Star Alliance) access. And we get 1.5 points per $ on everything.  Opinions?

36 minutes ago, clo said:

Let me ask this. If we switch we'd likely go back to the Chase United Club Card. They currently have a 50K signup bonus. And they have free checked bags and lounge (UA and Star Alliance) access. And we get 1.5 points per $ on everything.  Opinions?

If you fly from a United hub with club access, I would consider it.  Both cards may still be benificial having together.

I just noticed this thread and am mildly intrigued/worried... I didn't know the CSR card's fee was going up.

I don't need the Lyft/DD benefits, so that doesn't help me. I use Lyft maybe half a dozen times a year. I hardly ever get to use the PP because I'm so rarely in airports that either have a PP lounge or have one in the terminal I'm in (and it's not necessarily worth the trip to another terminal). So while it's nice to have when it works, I'm not really getting a lot from it.

I book flights through the portal sometimes, but not always (for one reason or another, including plain forgetting to). The one thing I do consistently is use the points to pay for my flight at Christmas to see my family, which is pretty much always >$500 because it's a small airport.

I've also considered the United card, off and on. I wish I didn't have to fly United, frankly, but it's our main airline here and often gives me the best rate and/or the only nonstop. The trade-off on the card, of course, is that I'd have to use my United card to get the benefit and miss out on the 3 CSR points.

44 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If you fly from a United hub with club access, I would consider it.  Both cards may still be benificial having together.

I may not have mentioned that the Club card is $450yr so we won't be having both.

35 minutes ago, squick64 said:

The trade-off on the card, of course, is that I'd have to use my United card to get the benefit and miss out on the 3 CSR points.

But the 3x is for travel and dining and the Club card is 1.5 for everything. I gather that the PP is a better benefit in non-US airports. And we DO use UA a lot and they're no longer part of PP.

2 hours ago, clo said:

I had never looked at that card until we saw your post.  I did not notice anything similar to the $300 travel credit on the Sapphire card (did I miss something?).  Otherwise it seems like a terrific card for folks that often fly United (we don't).

Hank