meicheraxo

Key West Places to Eat

Will be in KW in 3 weeks, would like to know some good places to eat or grab a drink? Will only be there for lunchtime. I'm a foodie so would love suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

We like a place on Duval St called Bagatelles or something like that. Good food and sitting on the porch is great people watching. Key West is just plain fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For your places to "just grab a drink" Hog's Breath is good.

On their covered patio area about Noon there's normally a Jimmy Buffet type person doing songs and their "raw bar" in the patio area is good. :)

Be careful where you go. Key West is full of overpriced tourist traps.

For a foodie, I would recommend Blackfin Bistro, Thirsty Mermaid or Azur. All three have excellent food. You can look at menus on line. If a view is important to you, Louie's Backyard has ocean front seating and excellent food during lunch. It's a bit more expensive than my other suggestions, but great for a special lunch. Make a reservation if you choose Louie's for better seating.

We're heading to Half Shell Raw Bar and Grill. Been there several times. We might be on the same cruise...Elation, January 14th?

We're heading to Half Shell Raw Bar and Grill. Been there several times. We might be on the same cruise...Elation, January 14th?

On the Celebrity Summit and will be in KW on Jan 17. Thanks for the recommendation

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Even though I really like just about all of the places that have been mentioned, I think that Keywester's recommendations would be more interesting for a foodie. Except I haven't been to the Thirsty Mermaid---it looks really good--- plan to go next week.

You'd have to get transportation to Louie's, unless you're a major walker, but it does have a lovely setting overlooking the ocean.

Try El Siboney. Authentic Cuban food that is awesome. At the intersection of Catherine, and Margaret if I recall. Get there before the lunch rush, or the line will be out the door.

Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island, Blue Heaven, Louie's Backyard. Turtle Kraals at sunset on the upper deck is awesome.....

We're lucky enough to be spending several days there (Jan. 29-Feb. 3) after a cruise. I've been compiling a list of restaurants that sounded interesting to me:

Blue Heaven

Bliss

Bien

Garbo's Grill

Caroline's

El Siboney

Chico's Cantina

Banana Cafe

Green Parrot (mostly for music)

Louie's Backyard (lunch special is all we could afford)

Can anyone comment on these beyond the mentions we've already seen here for Blue Heaven and Caroline's?

Jim

We're lucky enough to be spending several days there (Jan. 29-Feb. 3) after a cruise. I've been compiling a list of restaurants that sounded interesting to me:

Blue Heaven

Bliss

Bien

Garbo's Grill

Caroline's

El Siboney

Chico's Cantina

Banana Cafe

Can anyone comment on these beyond the mentions we've already seen here for Blue Heaven and Caroline's?

Jim

Garbo's - I loved it, my wife not so much. Its a food truck and she isn't a big fan of them. She did like the fish taco - I loved their burger

Every vacation in Key West, we include a trip to La Trattoria on the corner of Duval and Apelrouth. As the name would indicate this is Italian cuisine.

We also include a trip to A& B Lobster House at the Schooner Wharf area, second floor. They have the best chocolate martinis I have ever had.

Both of the above restaurants are open only evenings. A & B Lobster House has outdoor seating if you want to see the wonderful view of the harbor. They have a cheaper restaurant downstairs that is open for lunch and very popular.

We also like Louie's Backyard and it has a great view too. We go at lunch. At night it can get pretty crowded, but if you go at night, make reservations.

We also always make the boat trip out to Sunset Key Latitude's restaurant. They are open for brekfast, lunch and dinner. That place is very popular at sunset, so make reservations well in advance if you choose that time. The boat is free but you cannot get on it without reservations which you make through the Hilton Hotel's concierge. The view at Latitudes is fabulous.

Just FYI, Latitudes is at The Westin, not the Hilton. You can reserve through the Westin concierge or they have their own direct number. The food is pretty good there, but you are really going for the view and atmosphere.

Blue Heaven

Bliss

Bien

Garbo's Grill

Caroline's

El Siboney

Chico's Cantina

Banana Cafe

Jim

I have been to all these and you have made good choices. I don't think Carolines is as good as the others if you have to drop one. Chico's Cantina is our best Mexican here, but you likely have as good where you live. If you are going to Stock Island, where Chico's is located, you might want to try Hogfish Bar and Grill. It's a great casual spot with good seafood and decent prices. Green Parrot is a great bar, not a place to eat. Make reservations for Louie's. it's a beautiful spot for a lunch splurge.

I have been to all these and you have made good choices. I don't think Carolines is as good as the others if you have to drop one. Chico's Cantina is our best Mexican here, but you likely have as good where you live. If you are going to Stock Island, where Chico's is located, you might want to try Hogfish Bar and Grill. It's a great casual spot with good seafood and decent prices. Green Parrot is a great bar, not a place to eat. Make reservations for Louie's. it's a beautiful spot for a lunch splurge.

Many thanks to keywester33 and the others. And OP, I hope you don't mind the diversion in your thread. Maybe we can both benefit from each other's questions.

I hadn't noticed Chico's was on Stock Island, but since we've rented a car for the drive to KW from FLL, that opens things up a bit. Hogfish sounds like a good addition to the list. Blackfin Bistro sounds good too, and maybe Turtle Kraals. I'm already wishing we had more time.

Jim

Garbo's - I loved it, my wife not so much. Its a food truck and she isn't a big fan of them. She did like the fish taco - I loved their burger

We decided to book our Victory cruise this year just to be able to go back to Garbo's. We love the food at Garbo's.

We just got back a week or so ago. Memorable meals for us were:

Caroline's -- good food, great service and a really nice outdoor setting

Garbo's Grill -- just a bunch of tables scattered in a yard, but fantastic fish tacos

Blue Heaven -- more expensive than I was prepared for, but a great menu and a welcoming place with live music

Cuban Coffee Queen -- just coffee and sandwiches and not much of anywhere to sit, but sandwiches were cheap (not much in KW is) and great.

Places that didn't do much for us:

Turtle Kraals -- great setting, so-so food and service

Chico's Cantina -- I don't know why we keep trying Mexican food on the East Coast. We live in a town of 2,000 and we have two Mexican places that beat the pants off anywhere I've tried east of the Rockies. Chico's did have surprisingly good salsa, though.

Jim

I know this is a late post, But! We used live down in KW and El Siboney is where we ate all the time. Dinner is pricey, but sandwiches normal prices. So good. I have a friend that is a conch and she said 5 guys has awesome burgers. I have not ate there, but I would take her word!

Anyone know if Blackfin Bistro offers any lunch items other than burgers, sandwiches and salads?

Yes, they do. They have fish, shrimp and a couple pasta dishes as well as several appetizers. Their menu is online.

However, they will likely be closed for a while. Large trees damaged their outdoor seating area during Irma and they haven't announced a reopening date yet.

Thank you so much. I mistakenly thought they were open for next week. Maybe next year. Will have to try one of your other recommendations.

Yes, they do. They have fish, shrimp and a couple pasta dishes as well as several appetizers. Their menu is online.

However, they will likely be closed for a while. Large trees damaged their outdoor seating area during Irma and they haven't announced a reopening date yet.

Thirsty Mermaid is open we can try that.

Keywester--which is better--mussels or clams if I decide to choose? I'm more inclined to try the mussels but do not know why.

Edited by parrotfeathers

Thirsty Mermaid is open we can try that.

Keywester--which is better--mussels or clams if I decide to choose? I'm more inclined to try the mussels but do not know why.

Yes, thirsty mermaid is open and is very good.

I prefer mussels to clams, but I think it's a matter of taste rather than one being better than the other.

Enjoy your trip!

I know this is a late post, But! We used live down in KW and El Siboney is where we ate all the time. Dinner is pricey, but sandwiches normal prices. So good. I have a friend that is a conch and she said 5 guys has awesome burgers. I have not ate there, but I would take her word!

We eat at El Siboney quite often and think it's one of the most reasonably priced restaurants on the island, love their food.

Five Guys is a chain and they can be found all over. I know many people like them but I've never been a fan. I personally think the burgers at Smokin' Tuna or Sunset Pier are better.

We eat at El Siboney quite often and think it's one of the most reasonably priced restaurants on the island, love their food.

Five Guys is a chain and they can be found all over. I know many people like them but I've never been a fan. I personally think the burgers at Smokin' Tuna or Sunset Pier are better.

Yes, agree! If I go some place different, I DO NOT LIKE going to the chains. I want to try as local as possible and hole in the walls are the best. LOL some are...LOL

Hey Keywester33, didn't see it mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd ask for your thoughts on Santiago's Bodega? Reviews I have read have been really good.

Hey Keywester33, didn't see it mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd ask for your thoughts on Santiago's Bodega? Reviews I have read have been really good.

Most agree it is the #1 restaurant in town. Reservations are strongly urged as it is very busy.

Mike:)

Most agree it is the #1 restaurant in town. Reservations are strongly urged as it is very busy.

Ok, that was my next question. In one of the reviews they mentioned that they overheard the guy at the front on the phone telling someone that they were booked solid for the next two weeks.

For me, the number 1 place in town depends what you want to eat. Everyone has different taste and while I really like Santiago's Bodega, their menu lacks local seafood. Unless it has changed recently, the only local fish is grouper fingers, basically fried fish sticks, and I think they have Tuna Ceviche. It's a great place for a group to enjoy tapas and they have lots of great things on the menu, but if I were a visitor I would want to try fresh local seafood, simply prepared.

In my opinion, better options for this are Blackfin Bistro, Bagatelle, Salute and The Thirsty Mermaid. If you are here in the evening, 7 Fish, Azur, Flaming Buoy or Little Pearl would be others with excellent fresh fish.

Of course, if you are not interested in local seafood, Santiago's has very good food and is fun with a group. You do have to reserve in advance.

It's a great place for a group to enjoy tapas and they have lots of great things on the menu, but if I were a visitor I would want to try fresh local seafood, simply prepared.

Yeah, I wasn't actually looking for the "one" place to go, as most might be on this board coming off a cruise ship. I will be down for a week in May. I'll be trying many of the others as well.

Was in Key West last week and loved Santiago Bodega! They have a Happy Hour and it is well worth going early.

Also went twice for lunch at Kermits for the Cuban sandwich! They make it with ham and pulled pork. really good. Had the key lime pie too. Liked it

Also loved Latitude. Very romantic with the Xmas lights on the Palm trees. Green fronds and white on the trunks. Liked the key lime pie here as it had meringue on top. Was interesting.

Try El Siboney. Authentic Cuban food that is awesome. At the intersection of Catherine, and Margaret if I recall. Get there before the lunch rush, or the line will be out the door.

We had lunch at El Siboney on Christmas Day and it was fantastic!! While a little pricey for lunch, we enjoyed everything we had. And the homemade sangria was delicious too!

I know it's old, but I'd add my choice of Latitudes here as well. Lunch is good and dinner is great. I'd still go for lunch if visiting on a cruise. The little free boat ride is a nice addition and adds to the experience. For dinner, Latitudes is probably the best restaurant in Key West IMO.

Subscribing. Heading to KW this weekend and looking for restaurant options.