St. John "On Your Own" Tour

tinkerbell1984

Printingchick,, If we decide to go it on our own we would totally be open to sharing a cab. This is our 1st cruise and 1st time to St John/St Thomas so little nervous about doing it on a non ship tour, But your right 2 hours!! That's no time at all. And yes we are on the same ship :).

Maverick509 - Great. Just let me know. We can plan to meet up somewhere that morning if you want to do that. We want to take a cab to Annaberg, then walk the Leinster Bay trail down to Waterlemon Cay for snorkeling. Cab ride to that area is 20-30 minutes each way, so 2 hours wouldn't allow us to do that at all. Even going to Trunk Bay would be tight with only 2 hours on the island. St. John is absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure there will be some heartbreaking evidence of the storm damage, but it's not like we need things like electricity to explore this lovely island!

I visited STJ the week of Christmas. Some quick observations:

- Leinster Bay Trail. The destruction here was striking to me. The trail has been significantly reshaped, and is covered in all kinds of coral. The canopy of trees is gone. The exposed trail really now runs right along the shoreline, which I guess makes getting into the water easier. This might actually evolve into a new beach at some point. There are 2 shipwrecked boats along the trail.

- Waterlemon. Snorkeling here was a bit disappointing.I can’t say definitively, but I really feel like the coral took a hit and is more sparse than pre-hurricanes. I still saw a turtle, a few rays, and some small colorful fish in the rocks off the island. Visibility was a bit murky, which is not unusual. Conditions were calm though, and the current not bad.

- Taxi availability in Cruz Bay was limited. It might be tough to get one out to Annaberg, and you'd have to make arrangements in advance to get back.

- Leinster Bay Trail. The destruction here was striking to me. The trail has been significantly reshaped, and is covered in all kinds of coral. The canopy of trees is gone. The exposed trail really now runs right along the shoreline, which I guess makes getting into the water easier. This might actually evolve into a new beach at some point. There are 2 shipwrecked boats along the trail.

- Waterlemon. Snorkeling here was a bit disappointing.I can’t say definitively, but I really feel like the coral took a hit and is more sparse than pre-hurricanes. I still saw a turtle, a few rays, and some small colorful fish in the rocks off the island. Visibility was a bit murky, which is not unusual. Conditions were calm though, and the current not bad.

- Taxi availability in Cruz Bay was limited. It might be tough to get one out to Annaberg, and you'd have to make arrangements in advance to get back.

Thank you so much. I can't believe someone posted who did the exact itinerary I was planning! Apparently I'm not as unique as I thought! :p

Of the things you said, none were surprising except the taxi issue. I would have expected taxis to be more plentiful, given the island's excitement to have the tourists return. I know the area will not be as beautiful and that evidence of the storm damage will be clearly evident. But the transportation two and from is a bit concerning. I guess we at least need to have a back-up plan.

Thanks for posting this. I was going to hike the trail to Waterlemon (had a cab set up to take us there) and decided to forego this last week due to our port being changed to crown bay. When/if in the future I stay in st Thomas, I will leave waterlemon for that point in time and Annaberg. I just think with all I am reading it is too much of an endeavor for the limited time we have in port and the post hurricane aftermath. Just out of curiousity, how is the trail from the cruise port to honeymoon beach? Lind point trail? If you have been on it, can you share? Thank you

If you're on a cruise, I think foregoing Waterlemon is the right thing to do. I love that part of STJ, along with Salt Pond / Rams Head, but it's just a bit of a stretch if you're on a cruise, especially from Crown Bay. I walked to Waterlemon from Cruz Bay, and on the way back lucked out n grabbed a taxi at Trunk back into town. But there was just the one taxi at Trunk instead of the usual half dozen or so.

With that said, Honeymoon is the way to go. Beautiful beach where you can rent chairs and other beach things from the onsite concession. Lind Point trail is in great shape. Keep in mind that VI Ecotours is running a dingy "ferry" from Cruz Bay to Honeymoon. I don't really recommend this, as I think the hike is just part of going to Honeymoon, but it's an option.

You can read my entire trip report at the link below. Happy to help with any other questions.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147409-i432-k11110248-STJ_Trip_Report_12_21_27_2017_Hiking_the_North_Shore_Road-St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

Edited by GMoney

For those of you who know St. Johns, well, we took a boat over to St John's from St. Thomas a few years ago. We did a walking tour of the town with the Captain's crew. We visited the gorgeous library and a government officials home.

We then were on our own and went to one of the North facing beaches. It had a beautiful campground with a canopy of lush green foilage. We walked through that area to get to the beach. There was a small, tall green Island right in front of this beach, probably about a mile or so out in the ocean. It was so beautiful and I want to go back there next January.

Does anyone recognize this place? Much appreciated:):)

Edited by 50SumthinCruisers

There are fewer taxis because many vehicles were damaged, and with so many homes damaged many people are trying to get their homes back in order before going back to their business. Those that have jobs don't have a choice but to go back to work and that leaves them little time to recover personally.

If you're on a cruise, I think foregoing Waterlemon is the right thing to do. I love that part of STJ, along with Salt Pond / Rams Head, but it's just a bit of a stretch if you're on a cruise, especially from Crown Bay. I walked to Waterlemon from Cruz Bay, and on the way back lucked out n grabbed a taxi at Trunk back into town. But there was just the one taxi at Trunk instead of the usual half dozen or so.

With that said, Honeymoon is the way to go. Beautiful beach where you can rent chairs and other beach things from the onsite concession. Lind Point trail is in great shape. Keep in mind that VI Ecotours is running a dingy "ferry" from Cruz Bay to Honeymoon. I don't really recommend this, as I think the hike is just part of going to Honeymoon, but it's an option.

You can read my entire trip report at the link below. Happy to help with any other questions.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147409-i432-k11110248-STJ_Trip_Report_12_21_27_2017_Hiking_the_North_Shore_Road-St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

I actually did read your post on ta. We must be related. I do 1/2 marathons and am actually doing the Philly love one in March. I have not been to honeymoon yet so that's what we'll do. Hiking lindpoint was one of the deciding factor. And the beach of course.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Sounds like Cinnamon Bay. Unfortunately, the campground was destroyed by Irmaria, but the beach is still beautiful, albeit with much shade due to the downed tress.

Thank you GMoney. That makes me so sad. Just think how many years it takes to create such a beautiful place, and then it's destroyed so quickly. Mother Nature can be brutal!

Thanks again for your help:):)

Printingchick,, If we decide to go it on our own we would totally be open to sharing a cab. This is our 1st cruise and 1st time to St John/St Thomas so little nervous about doing it on a non ship tour, But your right 2 hours!! That's no time at all. And yes we are on the same ship :).

Printingchick, My email is dikurtz925@yahoo.com, contact me so we can make plans for sharing a taxi,, Getting close Im so excited

Hi everyone,

We have booked the St John on your own, after realising we will only get a hour or so on Trunk Bay we are thinking of cancelling it through the ship and doing it on our own. We are just scared we miss the ship, if there are delays with transportation back and forth.

We have been to St Thomas many times before, been to Megans bay.

Time will tell how accurate my information is, but I did call St. John today. I spoke with a taxi service who indicated that business is back up to normal as of several weeks ago. He said no reservations are needed and there should be plenty of cabs available as we disembark the ferry. Just passing along information as I collect it. :cool:

Time will tell how accurate my information is, but I did call St. John today. I spoke with a taxi service who indicated that business is back up to normal as of several weeks ago. He said no reservations are needed and there should be plenty of cabs available as we disembark the ferry. Just passing along information as I collect it. :cool:

Based on past experience, the cabs that are at the ferry dock for the ship "on your own tour" and the red hook ferry will take you to trunk and cinnamon. If you want the other beaches like Maho you can get the cab to take you there but cabs don't stop there. We walked from Maho to Cinnamon one time and hitched a ride another time. The cab drivers every time we go are adamant about us just going to trunk or cinnamon. Very rude about it actually. I have yet to meet a pleasant cab driver at the ferry.

Now, there is a taxi service called Aqua Blu car rentals that will take you around the island but you have to use the red hook ferry for it. We were going to use them in April however, because of the times we are in port and the distance from crown bay to red hook, we realized we would not have enough time. If you are docking in Havensight or have a longer stay in st Thomas (>9 hours) I would give them a call. They were going to take me to Waterlemon or any other beach I wanted to go to, Very reasonable price.

Thank you for the information printingchick. I have cancelled the ships tour and we are doing it on our own. We are the only ship in port the day we go, so it shouldn't be too busy.

Enjoy your cruise and tell us how you got on

I would never do a ship tour of four hours to ast John. Total ripoff. Do it on your own, get off the ship as soon as possible and jump in a cab to Red Hook to have the longest day possible. I have heard from locals onnSt John that taxi drivers are telling people St John is a disaster and not to go there. Not true. Restaurants, bars, shops are open and ready. Go to Hawsnest or Trunk and leavecxomebtome for a drink or two back in Cruz Bay. I would be on the 3 PM ferry back for a 5:30 or 6 PM sailing.

Temp py y sailing.

I would never do a ship tour of four hours to ast John. Total ripoff. Do it on your own, get off the ship as soon as possible and jump in a cab to Red Hook to have the longest day possible. I have heard from locals onnSt John that taxi drivers are telling people St John is a disaster and not to go there. Not true. Restaurants, bars, shops are open and ready. Go to Hawsnest or Trunk and leavecxomebtome for a drink or two back in Cruz Bay. I would be on the 3 PM ferry back for a 5:30 or 6 PM sailing.

Temp py y sailing.

Agree, I wish they left the tour alone with 4 hours to tour St Johns, now we are doing it on our own. The ship tour use to be great, not anymore.