PNG donations

neenee61

Will be on Eden in September leaving Cairns for 7 night PNG cruise. Currently on a mission gathering up lots & lots, actually will have about 20kg's worth of goodies to take over. Have lots of school items such as pens, pencils, crayons and 30pairs of thongs- flip flops, frisbees, balls and still to buy some more reading books. Really looking forward to donating these things but not sure the best way to do it. Has anyone had any experience doing this before? I'm cruising for free so this is my way of giving a little back. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What ports are you visiting Kitava and Kiriwini would probable be the most needy? We are going in February and are doing the same.

We were in a Santo this week and shared it around some of the people who took us around. Another thing which appreciated is baby clothes and medical supplies bandaids antiseptics etc.

What ports are you visiting Kitava and Kiriwini would probable be the most needy? We are going in February and are doing the same.

We were in a Santo this week and shared it around some of the people who took us around. Another thing which appreciated is baby clothes and medical supplies bandaids antiseptics etc.

Thanks for getting back to me. We will be in Kitava & Kiriwina. I will take some bandaids and antiseptics also and hunt down some specials for baby clothing. I am packing everything into one of those big striped bags and having it security wrapped at the airport when leaving Melbourne. I suppose I will just take the big bag on the tender and was thinking of also taking some of those green cloth bags from Coles so that I can repack bits and pieces to send off to the schools and families. I'm not sure how close the schools are to the port area and wonder if any of the teachers come down to the port when the ships arrives.

Last time we were there was November 2013 and I think most of the island came down to welcome us.

I have also found op shops and garages sales great for sourcing stuff.

I will let you know how it is after this visit.

I would really appreciate any feedback after your cruise.I must say everything I have purchased has been on sale and with more school supplies to buy I think I will get a few more bargains with 'back to school' at officeworks and Big W. I actually picked up great frisbees at KMart for $1 each. Got 30 of them LOL. I can take extra weight on plane with my Qantas Club so thought I would make the most of it. Hope the bum doesnt fall out the bag with the weight LOL. Cruising of Ovation in Feb so will check out the security wrap at airport to make sure it is strong enough. Otherwise I will just take another big suitecase. Have a great cruise and safe travels. Cheers

Yes I will, I also got skipping ropes at KMart for $1 as well. I always take about 20 packs of UNO cards from the $2 shop and have fun with the kids showing them how to play.

We are lucky our cruise is for 14 nights visiting Madang, Wewak and the Conflict Islands where we haven't been as well as Alotau, Rabaul, Kitava and Kiriwini. PNG is so beautiful and full of history. My Father In Law served in the Milne Bay Area.