Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DANofNORTH

Tahiti - LAX & changing flights

I have read about problems at LAX when changing planes and flying to Tihiti.:eek: 3 hours!!!??:(

How long does this process basically take and what should we watch out for? Any other suggestions?:confused:

Our cruise is booked for this time nerxt year on the TP.

We were able to check our luggage in Chicago straight through to Tahiti so changing terminals and planes in LAX was pretty painless. You take a shuttle to the International terminal and then go to the Air Tahiti Nui ticket counter and check in there. Then security, then you go to the gate.

We had a 5 hour layover, so we were not rushing at all and the whole process took about an hour.

If you have luggage, then you need to have it x-rayed at the international terminal before you can get in line for the airline.

have a great trip-tahiti is awesome!

We are flying out of Toronto. AA or Air Canada. We'll pay the extra to get our choice or carrier. I understand that it is a wise investment.

I hope that we can check it all the way through as well. That sure would make it a lot easier. :D

It's a year away, but we are planning already! Really looking forward to it.

:)

I know AA checks your baggage all the way through. Probably any other airline that Air Tahiti has a code-share with as well. But you should probably call to confirm for another airline other than AA.

We flew American from Chicago to LAX and they checked our bags straight through for us

I know how excited I was for this cruise-so enjoy the year of planning

If you have any other questions, please let me know-I never grow tired of talking about Tahiti

In March of 2000, we flew United from Reno, Nevada, to LAX. Due to high winds in San Francisco, we missed our change of planes in San Francisco. They put us on the next available plane. We had to collect our luggage at LAX, then go all the way to Tom Bradley International Terminal (way at the end of LAX) via the airport bus. The ATN counter is then at the very far end of that terminal. We arrived at the ATN ticket counter for check-in 2 hours and 45 minutes prior to the flight. They told us that there was no room for us on the plane, even though we had purchased our tickets and had seat assignments at least six months prior. They said they always overbook. We were told they would put us up in a nice hotel and we could be on their next flight out the following morning. I nearly had a nervous breakdown! After taking our passports and letting us stand there for well over an hour, they finally put us on the plane, but said, "You better run because boarding is nearly complete." The next time we flew to Tahiti, we flew Air New Zealand as they fly from terminal 2 instead of Tom Bradley International Terminal. Check in was a breeze! We are on the TP again at the end of this month, and this time we are overnighting in Los Angeles and again flying Air New Zealand. So my advice is if you are flying ATN, be sure you get there in plenty of time, and if you are able to check your luggage all the way through, then that would certainly be less of a hassle.

Kathy

We have booked with Princess for our full airfare from Minneapolis. I assume they will book flights that will give us enough time to make the connection.

Is that true?

I am sure they will book you with plenty of time to get to the ATN flight-we also found that changing ternimals on the LAX bus was painless and quick-of course we did not have luggage with us

Check your luggage in Minneapolis all the way through to tahiti

have a great trip!

Northwoods -- The situation I described in my prior post occurred in spite of our booking our entire air with Princess out of Reno. We were scheduled to arrive at LAX about five hours prior to the ATN departure. Through no fault of Princess, our departure was delayed due to the high winds in San Francisco. We nearly were not allowed on the ATN flight departing LAX because we did not meet the 3-hour check-in requirement prior to departure (missed our check-in by about 15 minutes). This is why from now on, we will take no chances and will always overnight in LA before a departure from LAX.

Kathy L.

We are on the Air Tahiti Nui 1 PM departure on Nov. 20th. Would someone let me know when the meals are served? I believe we have a snack and a meal. What times are these served? We are trying to determine if we need to pick up some lunch before we go over to the Air Tahiti terminal. Any assistance you would give us would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Debbie

Thanks everyone, it sounds like a bit of an issue changing planes but not too bad. Just look for the secutity check 1st before the gate.

Due to our change of dates, I had to call ATN today to book our seats. While waiting on the phone the recording said to be sure to be at the terminal 3.5 hours before flight time. That really seems like a long time to me.

However, we are staying in LA the night before (I didn't want to fly all in one day anyway) so I know we won't have any problem being there that long before flight time. I just seems like such a long long time.

It looks to me that 3 hours between flights is simply not enought time. :eek:

If you have to get your luggage, transfer terminals, x ray the bags again and then check in at Air Tahiti Nue that it will require at least 4 1/2+ hours as they want you there about (if I understand correctly) 3 1/2 hours before the flight. :p

What has anyone else recently experienced?

With what I'm reading here, I'm now glad for another reason that we are staying in LA overnight. We have a 5 hour flight from here with one change in Chicago on our way out. If we were going directly there it looks like it would take us over close to 20 hours total anyway. 5 hours + time to change + 3.5 hours check in + 8.5 hour flight.

ouch - that would be too much.

I would be interested in hearing from others in our area who had to change planes in LA.

I'm sure depends on airline, your status, etc. We are ORD-LAX on UA, then LAX-PPT on ANZ. Since I'm 1P on Mileage Plus, we usually have expedited chek-in, security, etc. Since ANZ is in a much more convenient terminal, I assume no problems. And, ANZ has a lounge, so why not allow a little time. We have total of 3 hours arrival-departure LAX.

Thanks everyone!

I have discovered that both airlines that we are likely to be flying with have ageements with Air Tahiti Nue, therefor we can check our luggage straight thru when we intitally check in. That's a relief!!

This means that a 3 to 3 1/2 hour layover at LAX is probably OK to make the connecting flight as long as there are no delays.

At least that is what I have gathered from a number of previous posts.

I only have 2 hours from the minute I get off the plane in LAX to get the ATN Terminal in LAX.

Does anyone think I'll make it in 2 hours?

You'll make it to the Tom Bradley Terminal but you might not make your flight. International carriers strongly recommend you arrive at the terminal 3 hours ahead. The security line to enter the gate area can easily take an hour and that is AFTER you check in. Add more (can be another hour) if you need to check your own bags from your first flight.

I don't want to worry you but I live here and with a curb drop off I would never even consider walking through the door of the international terminal at LAX without 3 hours to spare. You may very well make it but it will be quite nerve-racking for you when you see the masses in the terminal.

You'll make it to the Tom Bradley Terminal but you might not make your flight. International carriers strongly recommend you arrive at the terminal 3 hours ahead. The security line to enter the gate area can easily take an hour and that is AFTER you check in. Add more (can be another hour) if you need to check your own bags from your first flight.

I don't want to worry you but I live here and with a curb drop off I would never even consider walking through the door of the international terminal at LAX without 3 hours to spare. You may very well make it but it will be quite nerve-racking for you when you see the masses in the terminal.

Am going to check if I can take the 4:00 PM flight out of LAX. I try to contact ATN in the morning and try to change my flight.

Bsan1221...I think that would be a wise choice. Your two hour connection has left you with no cushion at all for any delays. What airline are you flying into LA on? I can tell you if you can walk or if you should take the shuttle. See if your airline will check your bags thru to the ATN flight...this can save you time and hassle.

Kathy

We only have 2 1/2 hours and was told by the ATN reservation lady that it was enough time! Now I'm worried. Am flying to LAX on United and was told that they will check my luggage through to Tahiti. Are we OK???

United will check your luggage all the way to Tahiti even if you have two seperately booked flights?

I'm asking that because we are flying into LAX on March 16th and taking ATN on the 17th. We have almost a full day in between but I would sure like not to have to handle anything but our hand luggage while in L.A.

I don't suppose that's possible though, since we booked the domestic portion and Princess booked us from L.A. plus we are staying overnight.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to be at the airport by 10:30 AM FOR A 1 PM flight.

Bsan1221...I think that would be a wise choice. Your two hour connection has left you with no cushion at all for any delays. What airline are you flying into LA on? I can tell you if you can walk or if you should take the shuttle. See if your airline will check your bags thru to the ATN flight...this can save you time and hassle.

Kathy

Kathy:

I am flying from Ft. Lauderdale Airport on American.

I am hopeful that ATN can switch my flights. I was telling DH last night whats going on and he's freaking:eek: out.

Lynnees;

I was told by our travel agent that the flights have to be connected & an agreement in place between the two airlines.

I was also told that if the time between flights is too long that they are NOT considered connected and they may not check your luggage through! I would check this out with your TA. I wouldn't want you to end up in Tahti and your luggage is sitting in a carosel at the terminal back @ LAX and not being dealt with.:eek:

I was also told that 3 1/2 hours between connected flights was ok. As they are connected you don't have to be there 3 1/2 hours early. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS FOR ME? I don't want to end up at Air Tahiti 2 1/2 hours ahead of the flight & discover that we have a problem!

First let me say this. I have taken all my international flights out of LAX. They recommend you to arrive at least 3 hours ahead. My flights have required a 1 hour ahead check-in before they re-sell your seat. (There was another post that a couple almost lost their seats on ATN because they didn't check in 3 hours ahead. I have NEVER heard this so I called ATN to verify and was told the usual...they RECOMMEND arrival 3 hours ahead) Sometimes the Tom Bradley terminal is not too bad other times it's crazy. If you walk in at a busy time you will gasp because it looks like chaos. But it's pretty organized and not to hard to find your line. Now there is the problem...the lines. This is what you have to have a cushion for. Our security is tight so the line to get to the gates is the slow one. You hit it wrong and your in it for an hour and there's no way around it. That said...if your original flight is on time, if you don't have to have your luggage screened, and you in fact have 2 hours, you have an ok chance to make it.

Bsan1221....American will check your bags through and you can just walk from the American terminal to Tom Bradley...don't wait for the shuttle!

turquoiseas...United is at the end of the terminal...you will have to take the shuttle...it's a bus you catch at the curb outside of baggage claim. It will make about 5 stops and take about 10 minutes.

DANofNORTH...last trip to Tahiti (2004) we checked in at the counter about 2 3/4 hours ahead and we were fine. As I said I called ATN to verify...maybe do the same and get the agents name.

Hope this helps,

Kathy