Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DANofNORTH

Tahiti - LAX & changing flights

turquoiseas...United is at the end of the terminal...you will have to take the shuttle...it's a bus you catch at the curb outside of baggage claim. It will make about 5 stops and take about 10 minutes.

DANofNORTH...last trip to Tahiti (2004) we checked in at the counter about 2 3/4 hours ahead and we were fine. As I said I called ATN to verify...maybe do the same and get the agents name.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

Kathy - If we have just missed the shuttle, wouldn't it be faster just to walk all the way from the United terminal (terminal 8)? Waiting 15 minutes plus 10 minutes for the stops is 25 minutes. We can walk a mile in 15 minutes. How far do you think it is?

Also on the ATN website it says domestic to international connections 1 1/2 hours (but recommend 3), whereas with no connection it says 3 hours. Why would they say 1 1/2 hours if 2 1/2 isn't enough? We are trying to decide if we should change our United flight to the one that leaves 3 hours earlier and at 6 a.m.! :( Not a pleasant thought.

We figure that if our plane is on time (with the 2 1/2 hr. connection), by the time we get off the plane and walk or ride the bus to ATN we will be lucky to get up to the counter 2 hrs. ahead (and maybe only 1 1/2 hrs. ahead if there is a line at the counter and it takes awhile to get there).

Any input please???

Kathy thanks for all the help.

Some one from the group am going on got in touch with ATN and I am able to get on the ATN 4:00 PM flight istead of the 1PM flight. I was really freakin' out for a moment. I feel much better now.! I was so worried. She said ATN has a 100.00 p/person fee for changing tickets but the group agent didnt mention a fee was being charged. Am hopeful that we wont have to pay it but am not going to be cheap over 200.00. I rather KNOW that am making it to paradise.:D

She did tell me if I was early enough and the plane wasnt filled ATN may let me get on the plane for the 1 PM flight.

Just curious...when you book your air through Princess, do you end up with E-tickets or do they send you actual paper tickets. Also, do you have to check in at the counter or does Air Tahiti Nui have curb side checkin ala American?

turquoiseas...I can't explain why agents or airlines say what they do...I have had them try to book me a domestic flight with less than an hour lay-over at airports like Dallas & JFK which is pretty much impossible??? But I do know Tom Bradley Terminal...it can be fine at certain times of the day and then others it can be a madhouse. If you have your luggage checked through from your previous flight the check-in process is shorter. (I have waited in the luggage line for an hour...sometimes less) Check-in is not too bad but as I said security to enter gates can be anywhere from 5 min to an hour. I plan to arrive at noon for my 3:30 ATN flight on March 6th. I'd much rather be early, have time to relax and read a bit than run like h*** to catch my flights. I remember getting off a United flight once with a mother and daughter who were continuing on to an international flight...the TA gave them a 2 hour lay-over...after waiting to get off the plane, retrieving their luggage and getting on the bus...they were left with only one hour!! I felt sooo bad for them. It is quite a walk from United to TBT (I would guess about 1/2+ mile)...without luggage you will have a much easier time...might be nice to stretch the legs. You will have to dodge people, luggage, and carts but it can be done...I think the buses run more frequent than 15 min.

Bsan1221...your walk from AA terminal is about 5 min (door to door) and your luggage is checked through...you may very well make it but that is if all conditions are perfect. I think you will have a much more pleasant journey with the extra time. If you are early...there are some nice food facilities up stairs (before you enter the gate areas).

Stranger1...I do not know how Princess handles their customers but there is no curbside check-in at the international terminal.

Can you tell me how far Alaska Airlines is from the ATN terminal also?

That is the only airline we fly in and out of LAX from Seattle on. We have given ourselves a 4 hour window with the flights and I'm pretty happy right now we did that. From what my TA found out, these 2 airlines have an agreement and can transfer the luggage from Alaska to ATN without our having to claim it and recheck.

Thank you for any information you can give me on this. Also, what is the best way to get from one terminal to the other. Is there a train system at LAX to move people like in Atlanta?

Hulagirl

Hulagirl...smart girl...4hrs is good. Just walk out of the Alaska terminal and turn right. The TBT is the next one. I prefer to walk on the upper "departures" level if the weather is nice. Unfortunately we do not have anything other than buses to transport people (taxis & vans, too). Everyone must walk out of the terminal to the curb (on the arrivals level) and find the specific sign for the transportation they want. Here's a link for you http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm

Hulagirl...smart girl...4hrs is good. Just walk out of the Alaska terminal and turn right. The TBT is the next one. I prefer to walk on the upper "departures" level if the weather is nice. Unfortunately we do not have anything other than buses to transport people (taxis & vans, too). Everyone must walk out of the terminal to the curb (on the arrivals level) and find the specific sign for the transportation they want. Here's a link for you http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm

Kathy: Thank you for all the great information you have provided. :D

Thanks for the info on the flights. I think we'll take our chances that 2 1/2 hrs. is long enough and if we miss the 1:00 ATN flight hopefully we can get on the 4 PM. I'll check availability before leaving just in case :)

Bsan1221...Your very welcome...good luck and have a fab time.

turquoiseas...I think you have a good plan...if United is on-time you'll be just fine.

Not sure what day of the week you are all flying in but if you go to the link I provided and go to "airlines & flights" and then "real-time flights/Bradley Intl only" you can see how many flights will be departing around the same time as yours.

Kathy:

Thank you so much for the information on the terminal for Alaska and ATN. I looked again at our flight times and actually, if the Alaska flight is on time, we will have 4 1/2 hours before the Tahiti flight. When we booked our flight out of Seattle it was either the 6:00 AM or the 7:00 AM flight and I just had a feeling we had better take the earlier flight. Of course with the trouble Alaska has been having here in Seattle with their ground people, we will need all the time we can get.

You have been such help and it is so appreciated. Thank you again for all the time you have taken with your answers.

Susan

Thanks for the information on LAX. We'll fly Alaska non-stop from Portland OR to LAX and will have a 3+ layover so should be fine for our 1 pm flight on Saturday, August 12th. We were considering going the night before but this looks good. That way we can spend all our pre-cruise time in Tahiti!!! ;)

Your welcome. Like I said..for those who will have extra time...there are some ok places to get a bite to eat or drink upstairs (after you check-in but before you enter the gate area) and some shops (one is duty-free) to browse through.

Kathy

We'e going to have most of the day before in LA so we have decided we will be at the airport at 9 am for our 1 pm flight. It just seems the best all round. With 4 hours I don't anticipate anything but waiting.

Am having a fit!!!!

ATN just confirmed I couldnt get on the 4PM flight. I can only get on the 1PM flight and my connection comes in to LAX at 11:08 AM.

CAN I REALISTICALLY MAKE THIS FLIGHT?!? :eek: Am having a FIT!! AM HAVING A COW!!!

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! :(

Have you searched to see if you can get an earlier flight into LAX? Maybe go in the night before.

Have you searched to see if you can get an earlier flight into LAX? Maybe go in the night before.

I tried but the penalties are over $600.00 dollars which includes cancelling my tickets, rebooking fee, penalty fee and the difference in airfare. :eek:

That's a lot of money. Who are you flying with? We are going with United and they allowed us to change our flights from December to March. The difference was $60 cheaper flight plus $100 extra for change so in the end it cost us $40 each. (Which Princess is paying anyway.)

You are saying cancel your flights, can't you just change them to an earlier or day/night before flight? The cost of that is cheaper than outright cancelling them.

Queen, can you tell me what kind of shuttle time there is between the SouthWest terminal and Tom Bradley? I know according to the LAX map we are just about the farthest away of any airline. It looks to be almost a mile between the 2 terminals.

I'm not worried about missing my flight, just wondering how much patience I will need for the shuttle stops!!

cruisenurse...it's really only about 1/2 mile. The "courtesy shuttle" runs around the circle quite often. You are only about 4 stops away. That is not usually the problem. It's the amount of time a plane taxis to their gate (runways on each side of the airport)...if they have to wait for a gate...and the walk to the curb. Terminal one is not as large as some of the others...your walk is pretty short. Baggage claim in #1 is pretty good, too (use this one quite a bit). If you can handle SW your patience is fine!!!

Kathy