Multiple entry Schengen visa

Sveltana

We will be on a Baltic Sea and Russia cruise in June. We are Canadians and do not need a Schengen Visa. But since we will visiting a non Schengen country (Russia) in between visits to Schengen countries do we need a multiple entry Schengen visa?

On the Princess Cruise webpage I found this: "During the cruise, you will be visiting countries which are members of the Schengen Agreement. Schengen Agreement countries require passport holders from various countries to obtain a visa in advance. This requirement does not apply to Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, UK, or U.S. passport holders. A multiple entry visa will be required if a non-Schengen country is visited in between visits to Schengen countries (Example: depart from Italy, visit Turkey, arrive in Spain). Schengen Agreement countries include: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland."

As already mentioned, since you are Canuks you will not need a Schengen visa. Nor will you need a Russian visa if you book with an authorised local tour operator (see countless threads on the subject) or through the ship.

Those who DO need a Schengen visa need a multiple entry one since they leave the Schengen area to visit St Petersburg and then return to a Schengen country.

There was a thread on here about someone who only had a single-Entry visa, and had to leave their ship at Tallinn and fly (or ferry) to Helsinki to meet it while it went via St Petersburg :(

JB :)

There was a thread on here about someone who only had a single-Entry visa, and had to leave their ship at Tallinn and fly (or ferry) to Helsinki to meet it while it went via St Petersburg :(

JB :)

Exactly what I dont want to happen!!! I wouldn't want to miss St-Petersburg, the highlight of the cruise!!!

• 1 year later...

I am an Indian who need a Schengen Visa to travel around in EU. Reading all the Q&A about single/multiple entry Schengen Visa for baltic Cruise I panicked just few days before my scheduled Baltic cruise on 16 June 2018 as I had only a single entry visa valid for 15 days. I don’t want others to panic like we did until we were allowed to board the ship. We took an NCL Baltic cruise started and ended in Copenhagen port . From our experience we were stamped an entry at Barcelona airport where we entered EU and the exit at Copenhagen airport where we exited EU after our cruise trip. So single entry Schengen Visa is enough if you are in a closed loop cruise even though St.Petersburg, Russia is a port in between. We booked a shore excursion with the cruise to visit St. Petersburg and there was a Passport control at St. Petersburg port where they stamped entry and exit which has nothing to do with exiting Schengen Area as we are in a cruise. There were no passport control at the EU ports before or after St.Petersburg. So even if you have got only a single entry visa don’t panic. Relax and enjoy your vacation. Don’t forget to confirm this with your Cruise/Cruise agent if you are taking another cruise line as ours was Norwegian Cruise Line.

• 11 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 2:54 PM, dbobby said:

I am an Indian who need a Schengen Visa to travel around in EU. Reading all the Q&A about single/multiple entry Schengen Visa for baltic Cruise I panicked just few days before my scheduled Baltic cruise on 16 June 2018 as I had only a single entry visa valid for 15 days. I don’t want others to panic like we did until we were allowed to board the ship. We took an NCL Baltic cruise started and ended in Copenhagen port . From our experience we were stamped an entry at Barcelona airport where we entered EU and the exit at Copenhagen airport where we exited EU after our cruise trip. So single entry Schengen Visa is enough if you are in a closed loop cruise even though St.Petersburg, Russia is a port in between. We booked a shore excursion with the cruise to visit St. Petersburg and there was a Passport control at St. Petersburg port where they stamped entry and exit which has nothing to do with exiting Schengen Area as we are in a cruise. There were no passport control at the EU ports before or after St.Petersburg. So even if you have got only a single entry visa don’t panic. Relax and enjoy your vacation. Don’t forget to confirm this with your Cruise/Cruise agent if you are taking another cruise line as ours was Norwegian Cruise Line.

Hi

Thank you for the above post . We were also confused about this issue. Your reply was a great relief. We are also taking the same cruise . Can you also tell us if the temperatures are warm enough to use the pool and and other aquatic facilities . I am taking this trip with my 8 and 9 year old and their main interest is the water based activities . 

Regards