Mike & Tracy's continuing adventures: B2B on Carnival Vista & Norwegean Getaway

MikeyA53

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to put together such intensive reviews and pictures. We have been "navigating" towards NCL (bought 4 future cruise certificates last year, used them, bought 4 more on our Pride of America Hawaii trip this past Dec., used some for our upcoming Med cruise with NCL) though we still like Carnival. (just off Splendor a few weeks ago) Glad you liked the Getaway. Freshens things up a bit when you change lines - different entertainment, food, etc. Can't wait to read about your next adventures.

Thanks, you are so right about freshening things up is good sometimes. :)

Thank you for this wonderful review of your cruises. I have enjoyed reading your post. My family and I will be following you on the MSC Divina on 11/18/2017. First time on the MSC. We have only cruised Carnival - will be on our eighth in 4/2017 (fascination) and on our ninth in 8/2017 (vista). You have given us a lot of information to make our cruises even more enjoyable. Thanks.

Thank you for this wonderful review of your cruises. I have enjoyed reading your post. My family and I will be following you on the MSC Divina on 11/18/2017. First time on the MSC. We have only cruised Carnival - will be on our eighth in 4/2017 (fascination) and on our ninth in 8/2017 (vista). You have given us a lot of information to make our cruises even more enjoyable. Thanks.

Thanks you, glad I could help. Have a wonderful cruise year. Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike ,

Finished reading your review tonight and I truly enjoyed every word. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a intensive review!!!! I have now sailed NCL 5 times (4 on the Breakaway and 1 on the Dawn) and had a great time. My favorite things were the chicken salad and crepes on the buffet and the entertainment is outstanding. Hope you & Tracy enjoy your B2B2B.

Michel (Ms. Fun Bunch)

Entrance on deck 4

Cruising%202016%20162_zpsugw0jkpb.jpg

Cruising%202016%20156_zps8nwspnlv.jpg

Cruising%202016%20158_zpscyjw8qsr.jpg

Cruising%202016%20161_zpsop7fmsum.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked already (just started reading). Does Vista have a bar in the dining room?

Also, any chance you know the height requirements for the slides?

Thanks, love all your reviews :)

Sorry if this has been asked already (just started reading). Does Vista have a bar in the dining room?

Also, any chance you know the height requirements for the slides?

Thanks, love all your reviews :)

The Horizon dining room has a bar at the entrance. You can grab your pager on level 5 and sit at the bar for a drink.

The Horizon dining room has a bar at the entrance. You can grab your pager on level 5 and sit at the bar for a drink.

That's awesome. Only that one MDR, not the other? Do you know if Horizon has early/late or your time?

I always get my drink somewhere else and bring it to the MDR because it takes FOREVER for them to bring me a damn coke lol. This will be less of a trek for me.

I understand that you are loyal to CCL, but I happen to know that NCL sails out of NYC in the winter and spring. I have a friend currently on the NCL Gem that left last Tuesday out of NYC for a 10 day cruise into the Caribbean. Check it out. I cruised several Carnival ships, also, and loved them, but I'm not afraid to try other lines, if the price, ship, and itinerary are right. We sailed the NCL Getaway in January and fell in love with NCL. Try it. You might like it! 😊

Took first NCL cruise on the Sky (old ship) in 2011. There were quite a few things that I liked about that cruise, but the MDR food was not one of them. DH and I spent extra $$ to eat in the specialty restaurants.

Well, fast forward to 2016...

After about 20 Carnival cruises, I became fed up with their poorer quality food, lack of dining options (need extra options/choices because I'm now allergic to shellfish), watered-down entertainment etc.

I was on the verge of giving up cruising. I told my annual fall-cruise travel companions (my sister and our best friend) no more cruising for me unless I found a good deal on a different line.

Well, I found NCL Getaway! Many more dining options, quality MDR food, complimentary drinks pkg for guests one and two (works for us, as best friend [booked as passenger 3] barely drinks a wine or two at dinner). Love having a drinks pkg! DH and I got used to that sailing Celebrity.

Sometimes it's worth trying something new... I'm sure glad we did! Booked on NCL Escape this fall!

Deck 6

437c4dc3-98dd-476e-96c5-a0d2468d8a8d_zpsgefayxug.jpg

Starting from the front (bow) we have the Getaway Theater. It’s a movie style theater with a good view of the stage from almost every seat. Unlike the Carnival theaters that have a lot of view obstructions. However I don’t know if it was just me but the seat cushion was uncomfortable, I did see other people moving around a lot in their seat during shows. Sorry for the dark photos, there was not much lighting in the theater.

Cruising%202016%202219_zpsvdaqlavd.jpg

It wasn't just you...

The seat cushions were incredibly uncomfortable! There seemed to be some metal "bar" or something in the seat that hit uncomfortably on the tailbone--ouch!

I even complained to the CD one night, as he happened to be near the bar as we exited. I'd barely finished my sentence and he new exactly what I was talking about!

Even the restaurant seats were bad for me--I actually borrowed a chair pillow (with permission from the hostess) from Moderno to use as lumbar support on their various chairs the last night of the cruise.

Bringing my own lumbar pillow on Escape this year, since now I know!!

Still, loved Getaway!!!!

Hi Mike ,

Finished reading your review tonight and I truly enjoyed every word. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a intensive review!!!! I have now sailed NCL 5 times (4 on the Breakaway and 1 on the Dawn) and had a great time. My favorite things were the chicken salad and crepes on the buffet and the entertainment is outstanding. Hope you & Tracy enjoy your B2B2B.

Michel (Ms. Fun Bunch)

Thanks Michel, 138 days to our next adventure. :D

Excellent review!! Thanks for posting!

Always loved your reviews!

Can't wait to read your Getaway review...

We sailed Getaway last year (after many many Carnival cruises) and loved it and NCL in general. Booked Escape for later this year.

Thank you. :):):)

Just came upon your review. Enjoying it very much. I really enjoyed your past reviews. We were Platinum on Carnival, but last year cruised on the Getaway. I must say that now we are converts to Norwegian. We're going on the Escape in September. Thanks for posting this awesome review.

Just came upon your review. Enjoying it very much. I really enjoyed your past reviews. We were Platinum on Carnival, but last year cruised on the Getaway. I must say that now we are converts to Norwegian. We're going on the Escape in September. Thanks for posting this awesome review.

Thanks, we did love our Getaway cruise but I can't really say were coverts, we want to try different cruise lines for a while, this November we are doing a B2B2B on MSC Divina, followed by Norwegian Escape and then Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thanks, we did love our Getaway cruise but I can't really say were coverts, we want to try different cruise lines for a while, this November we are doing a B2B2B on MSC Divina, followed by Norwegian Escape and then Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam.

We've mostly sailed Carnival....some RCI...and Hal..we did the Getaway last November..then the Koningsdam this past January...we have also done a thanksgiving cruise with family on the Nieuw Amsterdam...sailing the Eurodam this November...I really hope you'll do a review of your experience with Hal...and MSC....your reviews are outstanding and I always enjoy reading them:)

• 2 weeks later...
If you don't mind me asking, what website do you host your pictures on? The one I was using started charging $400 a year. No way! Photobucket sucks!

I use Photobucket, I think I paid approximately $60 for a 50 GB. If the price goes up over $100 I will not be staying with them.