Taking co-cruisers into Diamond Lounge

kevinyork

In the evening my better half often has no pockets and doesn't want to carry a purse, so just leaves her card in the room (anything charged can go on my card; it's going on the same account anyway). For sure she takes her Sea Pas the first nights (okay, perhaps in my pocket), but after that who knows. I have no problem with rule enforcement, but I hope there is a little common sense used.

{Lack of common sense: some years ago I was going into Blaze, then being used for the Diamond Happy Hour, and the Concierge said "You have to show me your card, Thom" - yep, he knew me by name, knew I was Diamond, but felt a need to be officious. I still remember his name, not favorably, and at least last year he was still working on Oasis (where I pointedly ignore him).}

Thom

Just wanted to mention that my husband's seapass card has a different credit card than mine. In case one of us loses our seapass card or credit card, we can close the credit card and just use the other's card.

We have just reached Diamond and will be travelling with my sister and Mum who are gold. We all have the Deluxe drinks package. Would they allow us to take them into the diamond lounge in the evening given that they would not be having any 'free' Diamond lounge drinks, just drinks in their drinks package?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had the Deluxe package on the Harmony, I see you are on Oasis. Never went in the DL ,went in the Suite lounge one night and the overspill a handful of times. Your package is good at all the bars including the Rising tide bar , we loved sitting there enjoying cocktails and people watching on two levels :D.

Edited by heatherb1958

Just wanted to mention that my husband's seapass card has a different credit card than mine. In case one of us loses our seapass card or credit card, we can close the credit card and just use the other's card.
AFAIK the Sea Pass carries very little info on the card itself other than a link to the data stored on the ship's computer, so losing your Sea Pass should not compromise your credit card. So far I have never lost my Sea Pass, but I did lock it in my cabin one time and couldn't find my better half. Guest Services gave me a new card (they can see my photo and other data on their computers) which automatically closed my older card. I think each card has a separate Folio, so even though in our case all the charges end up on one bill you can still tell which Sea Pass made the charge. We do each have our separate Credit Cards (from separate banks), so if a Credit Card has to be closed, we collectively will still have access to credit.

Soon RCI will be using a high-tech computerized "Facial Recognition" program when you enter in thru the door...or at least as soon as they solve all the IT problems they have :D:D:D

Sure...why not??!! Ship has them to locate your photos on the

photo gallery kiosks! ;) :p :p

After seeing those pictures, and your on a drink package why would you want to go into that lounge?

That is a good point. As I said, the area itself is nothing super special. Those of us that don't buy the drink package can use it as a place to get a "free" pre dinner drink or morning coffee. With the 3 vouchers per day that we get now we have other options. Initially, I think the concept was that there would be few DL members on any given cruise and it would be a nice quiet place to relax for Diamond and above - again sort of like the frequent flyer lounges. It seems that nowadays RCI has the "problem" of too many DL members and the places can get pretty full at times. I suppose having an excess of repeat customers is a problem many businesses would like to have though.

On the Independence New Year's cruise, there was a staff member at the door to the DL and everyone had to show their Seapass marked Diamond to enter. This was a very full cruise and the DL was always crowded at 5 PM, but emptied at 6 PM, so we would go at 6:15.

We very rarely go into the DL to have our drinks. We prefer to sit in one of the other lounges/bars (Schooner Bar is our favorite) to enjoy our pre-dinner drinks. We aren't interested in the pre-dinner snacks. On our last Cruise we did go in the DL one evening to have drinks with a couple we ran into from a previous Cruise. The DL was crowed that evening.

Edited by davekathy

That is a good point. As I said, the area itself is nothing super special. Those of us that don't buy the drink package can use it as a place to get a "free" pre dinner drink or morning coffee. With the 3 vouchers per day that we get now we have other options. Initially, I think the concept was that there would be few DL members on any given cruise and it would be a nice quiet place to relax for Diamond and above - again sort of like the frequent flyer lounges. It seems that nowadays RCI has the "problem" of too many DL members and the places can get pretty full at times. I suppose having an excess of repeat customers is a problem many businesses would like to have though.

Part of the problem is the design of the loyalty program. In summary:

0 -> 29 = Gold

30 -> 54 = Platinum

55 -> 79 = Emerald

80 -> 174 = Diamond

175 -> 699 = Diamond Plus

700 + = Pinnacle

After earning on 25% of the number of points to make the top tier, you have joined the second highest level. After earning only 11.5% of the points needed for the top tier, you have reached Diamond. It is much to easy to make Diamond. I went from Emerald to D+ in five cruises (2012 -> 2014). No wonder the lounges are over crowded.

I would suggest something more like this ...

3 -> 34 points = 1st tier

35 -> 69 points = 2nd tier

70 -> 174 points = 3rd tier

175 -> 349 points = 4th tier

350 -> 524 points = 5th tier

525 -> 699 points = Diamond

700 -> 999 points = Diamond Plus

1,000 + points = Pinnacle

This would cut down on crowding in the Diamond Lounge. And top tier events would only before those in the 4th tier and above (not everything above gold). Of course welcome back events would be for ALL returning guests.

Currently I'm D+. Following the above, I would be in the 4th tier.

Another reason for the overcrowding is all the people like my husband and I. We only have 30 RCCL points, but have had Diamond Privileges since our very first RCCL cruise since we are Elite+ on Celebrity.

It's nice they offer reciprocal benefits but it has led to overcrowding on both cruise lines in their respective happy hours.

Not sure they truly thought that benefit through when they came up with it.

0 -> 29 = Gold

30 -> 54 = Platinum

55 -> 79 = Emerald

80 -> 174 = Diamond

700 + = Pinnacle

After earning on 25% of the number of points to make the top tier, you have joined the second highest level. After earning only 11.5% of the points needed for the top tier, you have reached Diamond. It is much to easy to make Diamond. I went from Emerald to D+ in five cruises (2012 -> 2014). No wonder the lounges are over crowded.

This would cut down on crowding in the Diamond Lounge. And top tier events would only before those in the 4th tier and above (not everything above gold). Of course welcome back events would be for ALL returning guests.

Sounds good to me......

This would cut down on crowding in the Diamond Lounge.

Not by much - the problem may not get any worse (fewer cruisers becoming D and up), but the D and up crowd is already too big with the existing members.

Biker, who expects a cost based point system soon.

Not by much - the problem may not get any worse (fewer cruisers becoming D and up), but the D and up crowd is already too big with the existing members.

I forgot to mention - NOBODY gets grandfathered up!

No .......................

Ok, I'll admit being bored at work today. Had I seen this thread, and this answer, I would have probably started an online lottery to see how many messages the posts gets in its first day or two. Troy's message should have ended it. But now I just added to it. Doh!:eek:

Ok, I'll admit being bored at work today. Had I seen this thread, and this answer, I would have probably started an online lottery to see how many messages the posts gets in its first day or two. Troy's message should have ended it. But now I just added to it. Doh!:eek:

Next time get bored quicker.

I forgot to mention - NOBODY gets grandfathered up!

No problem with that but our measly 115 points puts us back in level 3. You didn't give it a name - Tanzanite maybe? :)

I am fine with being booted out of the lounge, but please let me keep my free drink vouchers. Heck, maybe throw in fourth since I miss out on the munchies.

Oh yeah, and the discounts.

0 -> 29 = Gold

30 -> 54 = Platinum

55 -> 79 = Emerald

80 -> 174 = Diamond

700 + = Pinnacle

Looks a better option.

We made D after 5 cruises and D+ after 11.

It would make better sense to change the system rather than reduce the perks.

Explain cost based? Is this like pay to perk?