AAdvantage Emergency Assistance

Essiesmom

As an American Airlines AAdvantage member, I received an offer in the mail For an Emergency Assistance plus plan. For $149 per year I can get medical assistance throughout the US. They will help you find medical care, transfer you to another facility, etc. For another $40 per year you get international coverage. they do not offer medical coverage, just help you find it and follow up to see that you are being adequately cared for. there are lots of other services they list for your companions.

The paperwork says the plan services are provided by On Call International and offered by Worldwide Rescue & Security. I plan to call them next week to ask about age limitations, as they do want a birthdate on the application. Since I am 72, and my sister 73, travel insurance is becoming very expensive. I really don't need medical coverage as I have secondary with FEPblue and Tricare for Life. Not sure what my sisters secondary insurance covers.

Any opinions? EM

Pretty much a waste of money in my opinion. Wherever you are, whether or a cruise ship or staying at a hotel, you can ask the concierge or front desk to recommend or help you locate a doctor or hospital. Much more important is medical insurance or vacation protection insurance with medical coverage that includes MEDICAL EVACUATION to get you back home for treatment. This may require a nurse and air transport by wheelchair or even stretcher, and can cost $25-50,000. It is a serious matter and cost. I would suggest spending your money on that coverage. Even though you may have medical coverage (which hopefully includes non-US treatment, you still need med evac coverage. If you get ill, the one thing you will desperately want is to get home to your family and usual doctors ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by J&Jtravelcouple

Most travel insurance policies I've purchased, with Travelsafe and Travelguard already provide this service as part of the policy.

And, if you have Tricare for Life, you have access to international SOS already. Suggest you look at this and see if you already have coverage for what you want.

I was just at a Blue Cross Blue Shield Medicare Advantage insurance for retired teachers. If you are in a foreign country you find the closest medical facility with 1 doctor and nurses full time. Insurance will pay for medical care out of country. If no facility exists close by as to their definition, they will medivac you to the nearest country that meets their requirement. You call them and they will help you. So with good insurance, you would be covered.

The thing that you have to watch out for is you must buy any other trip insurance if that is what you want within about 10 days to 2 weeks of your first payment for your trip or they won't cover you. That is the situation I am in. I am more worried about missing a boat or connection which would be covered with trip insurance. Still looking. Some you can pay more for a waiver I guess.

Pretty much a waste of money in my opinion. Wherever you are, whether or a cruise ship or staying at a hotel, you can ask the concierge or front desk to recommend or help you locate a doctor or hospital. Much more important is medical insurance or vacation protection insurance with medical coverage that includes MEDICAL EVACUATION to get you back home for treatment. This may require a nurse and air transport by wheelchair or even stretcher, and can cost $25-50,000. It is a serious matter and cost. I would suggest spending your money on that coverage. Even though you may have medical coverage (which hopefully includes non-US treatment, you still need med evac coverage. If you get ill, the one thing you will desperately want is to get home to your family and usual doctors ASAP.

I was just at a Blue Cross Blue Shield Medicare Advantage insurance for retired teachers. If you are in a foreign country you find the closest medical facility with 1 doctor and nurses full time. Insurance will pay for medical care out of country. If no facility exists close by as to their definition, they will medivac you to the nearest country that meets their requirement. You call them and they will help you. So with good insurance, you would be covered.

The thing that you have to watch out for is you must buy any other trip insurance if that is what you want within about 10 days to 2 weeks of your first payment for your trip or they won't cover you. That is the situation I am in. I am more worried about missing a boat or connection which would be covered with trip insurance. Still looking. Some you can pay more for a waiver I guess.

Hopefully not to beat a dead horse, and hopefully not to offend anyone from any particular country, but I would not want to be med evac'd from Cambodia to Vietnam. I would want to get back to our own doctors in the USA. So, just plan for what you think you will want or need.

I am more worried about missing a boat or connection which would be covered with trip insurance..

This coverage comes automatically with use of many VISA/MC cards used to pay for your trip.

Credit card coverage is somewhat difficult to explore, but it does exist and comes at no extra charge.

The missing part of most credit card coverages is a medical benefit. But those are available elsewhere.

• 2 years later...

On their plan description , I see all they do for you is to  to arrange and provide   at no cost to you medical  services .   YOU have to pay for the medical services .     I do not   think this is a very good plan .