Canal: Interesting History, Background, etc.??!!

TLCOhio

quote=TLCOhio;52263128] Appreciate these added posts by Diane, BillB, etc. Keep it coming!! Love the great sharing. And, ability to learn more about the Panama Canal.

Earlier this week, I sent an e-mail to the great-grandson of William Howard Taft. The older Taft had been Teddy Roosevelt's Secretary of War supervising the construction during the 1904-08 period among his many duties during the period.....

DecTravel2016A%20031_zpscrpeorvi.jpg

Very interesting info Terry. You just have to admit those folks really knew how to dress for an inspection trip. I just bet they weren't limited to one carry on!;):D

• Haha 1

Both times we sailed through the canal, we were lined up at the first locks before sunrise and heading towards them shortly after sunrise.

First time through was in total daylight.

Second time, as I mentioned, we went under the bridge after dark.

Terry, Thanks for the info on Taft. Very interesting.

Very interesting info Terry. You just have to admit those folks really knew how to dress for an inspection trip. I just bet they weren't limited to one carry on!

diane.in.ny: Both times we sailed through the canal' date=' we were lined up at the first locks before sunrise and heading towards them shortly after sunrise. First time through was in total daylight. Second time, as I mentioned, we went under the bridge after dark. Terry, [b']Thanks for the info on Taft. Very interesting[/b].

Appreciate these excellent follow-ups and details from Diane and BillB. Fun, cute comment on how travel things were very, very different in those days without having any major baggage limits. In those days, it was about a one week sailing to reach the Panama area. No airplane passenger jets in those days!!

Great questions/details as to how people were dressed down there in these hot tropics during the construction visits. Below are some added visuals that I have found from the Bing website that give some ideas to the vast "scale" with this amazing project done more than one hundred years ago. These were really big, BIG locks!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 29,659 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here is more from a photo search on the Bing website in connection with William Howard Taft and his visits to the Panama Canal construction areas. First, includes a November 1910 picture with then President William Howard Taft (left) sitting with Oliver Wendell Holmes (seated with umbrella) and Colonel George Geothals (standing right) during a tour of the Gatun Locks under construction. At the time, Holmes was an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court The third picture is of Taft with Geothals, the West Point grad and engineering expert/genius who got the job completed and later was the Governor of the Canal Zone. Want to have "dress code" debate for what was expected or needed to be traveling in those "good old days"?:

DecTravel2016A%20034_zps3c5zjznt.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20032_zpsqv9fxdta.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20037_zpsjbka5pil.jpg

Here are some added construction views from the Bing website as to how the "scale" looked in pouring the concrete and building these massive Panama Canal locks. First, from 1913, here are the chamber cranes in Pedro Miguel Locks. Second shows these officials touring the lock construction site at ground level. Third, from November 1912, here is a view of the center wall, looking north of the upper locks for the Gatun Locks. This Gatun Locks series of three locks raised the water level 85 feet connecting Limon Bay to the man-made Gatun Lake.:

DecTravel2016A%20033_zpsjjjhjpim.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20035_zpsxyv5lafg.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20036_zpsdog3moiw.jpg

Great photos, Terry.

I found this info about the slides in the Calebra Cut. The geology of the area is very interesting. There are also some very impressive photos on this s link.

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/Panama-Canal-2012/Rogers-Landslides-Panama-Canal-minimum.pdf

Only a few weeks left before we go....woo hoo.

Mary

Before I forget. You're on the Island, right? I am not much of a show goer but the Island has a show call something Bayou. It is excellent!! I highly recommend it.

marysb: Great photos' date=' Terry.[/b'] I found this info about the slides in the Calebra Cut. The geology of the area is very interesting. There are also some very impressive photos on this s link.

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/Panama-...al-minimum.pdf

Only a few weeks left before we go....woo hoo. Mary

Appreciate these two nice follow-ups. Yes, Diane, we are on the Island Princess and we had heard great things about the Bayou show on this ship. Yes, definitely planning to catch this program. Very good link from Mary. I did not realize that the land-slide problems had continued so significantly for such a long period after the original opening of the canal in 1914. Great pictures and engineering details on that link.

Keep up the great sharing, questions, comments, etc. Don't be shy! Please keep it coming. It's getting close to our Feb. 28 sail-away date.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,264 views for this posting.

Here you go Terry, a few shots from Gaillard Cut (officially now Culebra Cut) to illustrate how things have changed over the 100 years. Keep in mind that all of these pics from the Cut are taken with a south to north view which is opposite from the direction you will be transiting.

The first picture is opening day with the SS Ancon traveling south to towards Pedro Miguel Locks, Contractor's Hill is on the left side of the picture with Gold Hill on the right. Note the width of the channel in the background. Channel width in the Cut at this time is only 300'.

2m3gphs.jpg

A picture of Gold Hill a couple of years ago.

6jilqo.jpg

A recent view of the Cut from the top of Gold Hill. It is probably hard to compare the widths of the channel, but it is now a minimum 715' wide. They have been nibbling away at the Cut over the past 100 years as well as reducing the summits of the hills that flanked the Cut. Slides have been a problem throughout the years in the Cut, however the area that have caused the biggest problems are around Gold and Contractor's Hills. These were the Cucaracha and Culebra slides, the Culebra slide of 1915 blocked the Canal for months and the Cucaracha partially blocked the Cut several times through the years and as late as 1986. The slide area of Culebra is on the north side of Gold Hill while Cucaracha is on the south side of Gold Hill.

a0gf1y.jpg

You will be transiting south, so just before you reach the Centennial Bridge Gold Hill will be on your left and then shortly after that will be Contractor's Hill on the right. Contractor's Hill used to be almost as tall as Gold Hill, but its summit has been greatly reduced to stabilize the area. Gold Hill's summit is also lower than it was originally.

You know as you sail by these areas of the Canal, there really is not a lot that stands out visually. By that I mean it is not Mt. Rushmore or the Grand Tetons, the significance lies in knowing what went on there to bring things to where there are now. Hope it all adds to your enjoyment.

If you get a day in Panama City, I highly recommend visiting the Canal Museum in Casco Viejo and if you aren't fluent in Spanish, pay the extra $4 to rent the headsets with the English audio tour. It was definitely worth the time and the money spent.

You will be transiting south, so just before you reach the Centennial Bridge Gold Hill will be on your left and then shortly after that will be Contractor's Hill on the right. Contractor's Hill used to be almost as tall as Gold Hill, but its summit has been greatly reduced to stabilize the area. Gold Hill's summit is also lower than it was originally.You know as you sail by these areas of the Canal, there really is not a lot that stands out visually. By that I mean it is not Mt. Rushmore or the Grand Tetons, the significance lies in knowing what went on there to bring things to where there are now. Hope it all adds to your enjoyment.
For added reference, here is the view from our southbound transit just last month of Gold Hill on the left and Contractor's HIll on the right, with Centennial Bridge in the background. I totally agree, Bill, that just thinking about what it took to cut through the Continental Divide and create a canal that remains open to traffic to this day is amazing.

Continental%20Divide%201024x589_zps4p6aqlbb.jpg

Great shot, perfect example of a picture better than a lot of key strokes!

Yes, Yes!! Appreciate these great follow-ups and pictures, etc. Keep it coming!! Things are getting very, very close!!

Today "our" Island Princess was visiting the Panama Canal. But, it was only a "partial transit" visit, sailing in on the Gulf of Mexico side earlier this morning and then back out just a few minutes ago.

How do I know? I was checking the ship's BridgeCam. Need proof? See my computer screen shots below. These computer images are not of the best quality, but you get the idea for what we will see in being there in person on Sunday, March 5, 6 am-4:30 pm.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 34,425 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

From the Island Princess BridgeCam, here are some images as the ship approaches and go through the first series of locks. Then at the bottom is an image as this ship is exiting back out of the canal locks to the Gulf of Mexico and to be heading north towards Costa Rica. Then, they must stay on schedule in order to be back in Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 7 am.:

DecTravel2016A%20036_zpszuuhtl1v.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20037_zpspwkijpad.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20038_zps6aheekin.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20039_zpskflcqt8a.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20040_zpstfqp6sek.jpg

From the Houston Chronicle and Associated Press/AP earlier this month, they have this headline: "Seven months in, expanded Panama Canal still faces challenges" with this sub-headline: "Ships scraping the walls and prematurely wearing out bumpers for protecting locks".

Here are some of the other interesting story highlights: "The ship prepared for the final leg of its journey through the newly expanded Panama Canal when things hit a snag: The last of the massive steel lock doors failed to open all the way. The pilots controlling the ship and the captains of the tugboats tethered to huge vessel opted to continue guiding it through the narrowed passageway, passing nerve-rackingly close to the side of the locks to avoid running into the stuck door. A little over seven months after authorities launched a much-ballyhooed $5.25 billion canal expansion to accommodate many of the world's largest cargo vessels, they have yet to fully work out a significant kink: With little margin for error, ships are still scraping the walls and prematurely wearing out defenses designed to protect both the vessels and the locks themselves."

As I understand if we are high enough up on a cruise ship going through the original canal, it will be possible to see some parts of these new Panama Canal locks, etc. Another interesting angle to see and learn more regarding this amazing wonder of the engineering and economic world. There are also a number of news stories out there on the massive port expansions happening along the eastern coast of the United States, including for Philadelphia, the Carolinas, etc. Lots of goods from China, Asia and Japan to be received. Plus, U.S. grain and goods to be shipped out thanks to this major Panama Canal expansion.

Full story at:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Seven-months-in-expanded-Panama-Canal-still-10925190.php

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,781 views for this posting.

I saw the article you referenced right after it came out and I can tell you the upper levels of the ACP were not in their happy place when it hit the streets. Like a lot of things there is always more to the story than what is presented. IMO one of the major issues is there is a bit of friction between the tug boat people and management... a lot of the usual suspects... pay, training, responsibilities, advancement and I'm sure the list could continue. There is also some who think the tugs maneuvering the neopanamax ships through the new locks is not the best solution considering you already have a proven method demonstrated on a daily basis at the legacy locks... locomotives (the mules). So there are a lot of things that are bubbling in the caldron.

The fender issue is not really a major concern, there may be a higher than expected failure rate, but in the end the fendering is doing what was intended, preventing hard contact with the lock structure. There is a lot more fendering in the new locks than there is at the old locks. Fenders at the old locks are only on the approach walls and just a short distance in the chamber before the fist set of gates. Meanwhile at the new locks the entire 3 chambers are fendered the entire distance including the approach walls, so many more fenders for the ship to contact. Approach walls, that is another one of sticking points as there is no approach wall on the Gatun Lake side of the Atlantic Locks (Agua Clara). An accepted practice to bringing a ship into the chamber is to put it on the fenders and drive the ship into the chamber with the assistance of the accompanying tugs. The process is much more challenging at the end of Agua Clara where there is no approach wall and coincidentally that is were some of the more serious incidents have occurred involving ships making hard contact.

The gate failing to retract all the way was not a huge malfunction, just additional care had to be taken as not to come into contact with it, but it made for a more exciting reporting. Nothing more than a sensor for debris was doing its job. Whether or not a huge risk was taken by moving the ship past the partially open gate... really don't know, but I doubt it.

I think things have worked out reasonably well at the new locks when you stop and think no one in the Panama Canal organization has had experience maneuvering ships larger than 965'x106' through the Canal prior to June 26 last year. While some personnel went over to the large locks at Ijmuiden in Amsterdam and also received training with scale ships at Port Revel Training Center in France, it isn't a substitute for the real thing. I'm sure things will continue to improve as everybody becoming more seasoned as time progresses.

There was one casualty as a result of this minor public relations hiccup... the Canal was always rather lenient in allowing family, friends and acquaintances to go behind the scenes with someone like a tug skippers and the like. Well, that rather nice perq went poof in a nano second.

Hopefully this isn't too much inside baseball... just some background as you seem very enthusiastic and interested in the "Big Ditch.":)

For view of the new locks... as you are approaching Gatun Locks in the morning, looking forward and off to the port you will be able see the stair cased 3 chambers Agua Clara Locks. Then later that day after clearing Miraflores Locks (the last set) and before you get to the Bridge of Americas looking astern off the starboard quarter you will have a similar view of the Cocoli Locks. After the Centennial Bridge and as you arrive at Pedro Miguel, on the starboard side you will be able to see the new channel that was constructed to connect the Cocoli Locks with the Gaillard Cut. At the end of that channel will be the Cocoli Locks, from this angle it will have a rather low profile. As you progress through Pedro Miguel and across Miraflores Lake you will see the Borinquen Dam that had to be contructed to separate the lower waters of Miraflores Lake and the newly constructed channel... starboard side. If a ship happens to be in either of the new locks, it will be very east to see.

For view of the new locks... ... After the Centennial Bridge and as you arrive at Pedro Miguel, on the starboard side you will be able to see the new channel that was constructed to connect the Cocoli Locks with the Gaillard Cut. At the end of that channel will be the Cocoli Locks, from this angle it will have a rather low profile. ...

From our southbound transit last month, here we are approaching Pedro Miguel. On the far right, as Bill has described, is the new channel connecting the Cocoli locks with the Culebra Cut. Note also the neo-Panamax ship (which we'd followed all through Gatun Lake) headed for the new locks.

We%20approach%20Pedro%20Miguel%201024x572_zpsmndccdeq.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Perfect picture again!:)

Yes, agree and super appreciate these additional details, visuals items, etc. Very helpful and interesting, especial with the comprehensive background from BillB48.

Just had breakfast this morning with Ann who just got off from doing the Island Princess earlier this month traveling from California to Fort Lauderdale. Wonderful background. It given us good ideas to consider our strategies for where, when and how to do our observations and positions for these transiting activities.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 222,017 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On our recent (Jan. 24, 2017) transit of the Canal on the NCL Jewel, we did not reach the Bridge of the Americas until well past 7pm, by which time of course it was dark out. I'm not sure whether this was a typical time to reach the Bridge. I do think we had a fairly slow sail though Gatun Lake and the Culebra Cut as we followed a big neo-Panamax ship all day. (I'm not complaining. It was awesome. Watching the ships coming in the other direction was like being in several episodes of Mighty Ships.)

Bridge%20of%20the%20Americas%201024x615_zpsugjvddaj.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Great Photo. We went the other way and were supposed to pass under the Bridge of Americas at 6:30 am and didn't reach it until almost 7:30. We seemed to watch it coming forever. By the end of the day, we were only about 30 minutes behind schedule, so we must have caught up somewhere along the line. They kept repeating all day that it was a "tentative" schedule. ;)

Great Photo. We went the other way and were supposed to pass under the Bridge of Americas at 6:30 am and didn't reach it until almost 7:30. We seemed to watch it coming forever. By the end of the day, we were only about 30 minutes behind schedule, so we must have caught up somewhere along the line. They kept repeating all day that it was a "tentative" schedule. ;)

Appreciate this wonderful reminder above by Ann as to how schedules can vary when doing the Panama Canal. Ann is a "neighbor" who lives nearby to where we are at in Central Ohio. Among her other keys tips were:

1. As others have shared, "MOVE AROUND" on the ship during this day to get many varied angles and views.

2. Be forward as you approach the canal and the initial locks.

3. Do a rear-facing angle to see the locks close and get that "back view", etc.

4. For the longer passage on Gatun Lake, your balcony, if you have a decent location, might be good for observing this passage that requires more time/patience than just standing on a deck.

5. Don't forget that passage under the large bridge pictured above.

6. Being at a location that offers angles/views on BOTH SIDES can be very important. Don't just spend all of your time on your balcony as you will miss the "action" on the other side of the ship.

I will have my camera and different lenses ready to get lots of good and interesting visuals. Really getting excited for this Sunday, March 5, 6 am-4:30 pm, passage though this dramatic and historic site.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 210,012 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry, You asked about wildlife along the canal Friday, so I thought of these when I found them. I haven't taken the pictures off of Ron's camera yet, so these are from my point and shoot with very limited zoom.

Appreciate these great pictures and this follow-up by Ann. Fortunately I have a Nikon D7200 and several lenses, including a 55-300mm lens. That will help me get closer to the action. Yes, look forward to any added photo examples/samples you can share.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,921 views for this posting.

Don't be too, too terribly disappointed in the wildlife offerings at the Canal. Birds are going to be your best bet, but then you just never know what will decide show up. There are spots where you may see a crocodile or two lounging on the bank... the most likely spots are at the sea entrance before arriving at Gatun Locks and again the sea end of Miraflores Locks on leaving. While crocodiles can once in a while be seen during your crossing of Gatun Lake, more than likely if you happen see any of these denizens in the Lake they are more apt to be a caiman. That really is more of a distinction without a whole lot of difference in my mind, particularly if you are too close!

On your trip across the Lake after clearing Gatun Locks and you are interested in seeing oncoming ship traffic, this is the place for it. Normally ships pass port to port in this portion of the Canal. So if you are relaxing on your balcony it needs to be on the "right" side and in this case the left side (port) is the "right" side.

Don't be too, too terribly disappointed in the wildlife offerings at the Canal. Birds are going to be your best bet, but then you just never know what will decide show up. There are spots where you may see a crocodile or two lounging on the bank... the most likely spots are at the sea entrance before arriving at Gatun Locks and again the sea end of Miraflores Locks on leaving. On your trip across the Lake after clearing Gatun Locks and you are interested in seeing oncoming ship traffic, this is the place for it. Normally ships pass port to port in this portion of the Canal. So if you are relaxing on your balcony it needs to be on the "right" side and in this case the left side (port) is the "right" side.

Appreciate these added details and tips. Very good!! Here is a key question to make sure that I am understanding correctly. Since we are sailing from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific, will our ship be on the northern/NW side during our water path across Gatun Lake? While for those ship going from the Pacific to the Gulf will be on the southern/SE side? Kind of like driving in the U.S., those driving are on the "right" side? Correct? Or wrong?

Our balcony room is on the right or starboard side. With some twists and turns along this path, we will need to be on the lookout for certain shipping/cargo vessels up ahead coming at us and be ready to switch to the port side, up higher, to capture certain of those views and images. Right?

Any other good sights and photography secrets/tips?

THANKS for all of the aid! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 66,027 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Sorry to go off of the canal crossing topic, but on the wildlife topic, our two best stops for wildlife photos were Costa Rica (we did a private rainforest and crocodile river cruise) and then the bird sanctuary inside of the port in Cartagena.

Other photography ideas I picked up from an Antigua web site I visited. There are a lot of cool doors and walls in the older cities. Putting together a group of them will make an interesting collage or photo page.

:)

Appreciate these added details and tips. Very good!! Here is a key question to make sure that I am understanding correctly. Since we are sailing from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific, will our ship be on the northern/NW side during our water path across Gatun Lake? While for those ship going from the Pacific to the Gulf will be on the southern/SE side? Kind of like driving in the U.S., those driving are on the "right" side? Correct? Or wrong?

Our balcony room is on the right or starboard side. With some twists and turns along this path, we will need to be on the lookout for certain shipping/cargo vessels up ahead coming at us and be ready to switch to the port side, up higher, to capture certain of those views and images. Right?

Any other good sights and photography secrets/tips?

THANKS for all of the aid! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 66,027 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We can simplify the compass directions a little and put in Canalspeak... On your trip through the Canal you will be a southbound transit and the opposing traffic will be northbound traffic. Your ship will be assigned as South and an even number... 2, 4, 6... Northbound ships are North odd number... 1,3. 5 and so on. Keeping with the compass directions, you will generally be on the west side of the channel while meeting opposing traffic and probably in the middle of the channel when there is no opposing traffic. Don't worry about the compound directions as northwest and southeast. The ship will meander around the compass a bit as it traverses Gatun Lake, but the right side of the channel (in your direction) is always referred to as the west side and the left side the east side. Unless there is some unusual circumstance oncoming ship traffic will pass to your left side... just like regular right hand rules of the road.

This is not to mean that the right side is a write off and not worth a look, it is just I would rather experience the view of the oncoming traffic... sort of what the Canal is all about. Just before you enter the Cut you will pass Gamboa on the left (I know left again), this is the home of the Canal's Dredging Division and you may get a chance to see some of their equipment. One of the most prominent pieces is the crane Titan. This crane was taken from Germany after WW2 as a war prize and served in Long Beach until the late 90s when it came to the Canal. While in Long Beach is was affectionately known as Herman the German. Shortly after Gamboa is where the Chagres river enters the Canal... the only river in the world that empties into both the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.

Almost time for you to cast off!:) Enjoy!!

Sorry to go off of the canal crossing topic, but on the wildlife topic, our two best stops for wildlife photos were Costa Rica (we did a private rainforest and crocodile river cruise) and then the bird sanctuary inside of the port in Cartagena.

Other photography ideas I picked up from an Antigua web site I visited. There are a lot of cool doors and walls in the older cities. Putting together a group of them will make an interesting collage or photo page.

Some the biggest crocodiles I have ever seen in the wild was on the Tarcoles River in Costa Rica at the Puntarenas stop.