Helsinki 2017 advice and FAQ

Jonza

Sounds good. Tram 7 will leave you at Senate Square which is one block away from Market Square. The walk from the Market Square area to the Rock Church is about 2 km do you may also opt for tram 2 for that leg. From the church to the ship I would just walk to Kamppi (900m straight street) for tram 7 (or 9 that leaves you slightly further from the ship) back to the ship. Or you can take a bus for one stop there if you prefer not to walk.

Day ticket costs 9€, single 1h ticket from the driver 3.20€, single 1h tram only ticket from a ticket machine is 2.50€. If you make only two trips, single fares are cheaper. For three trips single fares are cheaper if you buy at least one of the trips from a machine.

Taxi rides would cost 10€-15€ per ride and more if stuck in traffic. Ends up being slightly more expensive than public transit. If you make at least three trips, I would go with the day ticket. If you are likely to walk the second leg and not add other legs to your journey, buy single fares or take a cab.

Jonza, thanks again for your help! Is there ticket machine at every stop?

Jonza, thanks again for your help! Is there ticket machine at every stop?

Ah, I thought I wrote this but apparently not. Most stops do not have ticket machines.

On your route there should be a ticket machine at the tram stop closest to LMA. At Market Square you would have to make a slight detour to the other end of the market as there are ticket machines at the Suomenlinna ferry terminal there. In Kamppi there are no ticket machines at the tram stop but several at the metro station and bus terminals next door.

• 10 months later...

Thank you for this information! Is there a 2018 edition?

About one hour from the ship to Suomenlinna. See example route from LMA to the southern end of Suomenlinna: https://www.reittiopas.fi/reitti/Selected%20location%3A%3A60.15276259350466%2C24.913537502288822/Selected%20location%3A%3A60.13825429919754%2C24.989626407623295?time=1497679200

Tram 9 runs every 10 minutes Mon-Sat and every 12 minutes on Sundays. Tram 6T also runs to the terminal every 10-12 minutes during afternoon and late evening. Tram trip from the terminal to downtown takes 10-15 minutes. The Suomenlinna Ferry runs every 20 minutes for most of the day and takes roughly 15 minutes.

In six hours you should be able to do everything you mention depending on how long you want to spend at each place.

If we want to go from the cruise port LMA to the rock church, the market Square and the fortress, what order would be easiest? Plus with the day pass purchased at the pier, which tram, bus or ferry would be best to get to each destination? Thank you so much, Karen

p.s. How do I say hi and thank you in Finnish or Swedish?

Perhaps best to do the market Square and the fortress first.

Take tram 7 to the Senate Square with the Cathedral (exit at stop "Senaatintori") - walk one block to the market

Or take tram 6T to the Railway Station (exit at stop "Rautatieasema") - walk six blocks through downtown to the market.

The ferry to fortress starts at east side of the market.

For the rock church take tram 2 from west side of the market (exit at stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut").

For returning to the ship from the rock church I recommend walking south a few blocks along Fredrik street to Kampintori and take tram 7 or 6T from there.

"Hi" is "hej" in Swedish and "hei" in Finnish.

"Thank you" is "tack" in Swedish and "kiitos" in Finnish.

I found that we were able to use English, in most of the places we visited. We enjoyed our stop in Helsinki immensely.

That doesn’t mean people wouldn’t appreciate a few words in their language.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've read all of this interesting thread, but now I'm confused.

We will be arriving in Helsinki on Queen Victoria which docks at West Harbour. Do you know if they normally supply a shuttle?

I will be in a wheelchair and understand public transport will be free for me? My partner will buy a one day travel card, but do I just get on the tram/bus?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums