Question for Aussies on tipping while there

I was behind someone who was removing their tips on QM2. Not an Aussie. He specifically asked if the room attendant was told. The CSM said no, but the manager of their cabin block was advised. One would expect the cabin attendant would find out.

If this practice exists - and I'm not doubting you - then it's UTTERLY DISGUSTING.

Such information should not, and never be in the hands of such staff.

Well the Head Waiters did have lists, so they knew which tables to head for to collect the envelopes from the waiters. Many cruise lines require cash tips to be handed in from those pax who removed the auto gratuities - automatic wage subsidy.

Not sure what they can do about it on the last night, if there is no tip coming and the person has already removed the gratuities.

Correct Mic and I am sure some pax leave the ship having removed their auto gratuities and not giving their waiters and cabin steward a cent. The cruise lines could do nothing, because gratuities are payable at one's discretion. Most Cruise Lines outline that in their Terms and Conditions.

Some people have no conscience.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a mate in Bufallo NY, now he is a Yank, only other place he has been is Canada, across at Niagara Falls and back again.

Now he thinks America is the greatest place on earth (and I'd think it was sad if he didn't). Thinks the tipping culture is a great way to get great service.

He was complaining the other night that he had tipped 25% and was called a tightwad. Seems 27.5% is considered normal in his area now and he hadn't eaten out for a while.

I live in Buffalo, 18-20% seems to be expected now.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

We are soon heading to Australia so as an American I found this thread enlightening. May I ask about tipping the porters who collect your luggage at the cruise pier as you embark? In the US I would be afraid that I would never see my bag again if I didn't tip the porter ! What about in Australia?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are soon heading to Australia so as an American I found this thread enlightening. May I ask about tipping the porters who collect your luggage at the cruise pier as you embark? In the US I would be afraid that I would never see my bag again if I didn't tip the porter ! What about in Australia?

Tips not expected or required and to not tip will not cause your bag to be lost misplaced for that reason.

Absolutely do not tip! When P&O was using the wharf at Barangaroo, there was a sign stating that the porters were not to be given a tip. If you tip the porter, you might be the only person on your cruise that does so!

I was behind someone who was removing their tips on QM2. Not an Aussie. He specifically asked if the room attendant was told. The CSM said no, but the manager of their cabin block was advised. One would expect the cabin attendant would find out.

We were once moved to a different cabin due to a repair issue. The steward who was wonderful, knew we had prepaid our gratuities and was very worried he wouldn't get his share. Every day he asked if 'they' knew he was our steward.

Absolutely do not tip! When P&O was using the wharf at Barangaroo, there was a sign stating that the porters were not to be given a tip. If you tip the porter, you might be the only person on your cruise that does so!

I tip the Porter who picks up my luggage dockside, whether or not in USA or elsewhere, including Australia. Have $5 in my hand as I get out of the shuttle bus, whatever. When we were at San Pedro, LA last year, the $5 tip was gratefully accepted and our luggage was intact. I have heard of luggage being damaged or being thrown in the 'no tip pile' if no tip forthcoming in the USA.

:D

We were once moved to a different cabin due to a repair issue. The steward who was wonderful, knew we had prepaid our gratuities and was very worried he wouldn't get his share. Every day he asked if 'they' knew he was our steward.

The Hotel Supervisors on the ships (supervising cabin stewards) have a list of those removing their gratuities.

While I agree that you do not have to tip while in Australia, I find that quite often, you do anyway even if it is just rounding up. In addition, Cruise ships (not all in Australia) operate on the US system and therefore tipping is expected once on the ship. While most ships roll this into the fare now while in Australia, the crew may still be rewarded in the usual manner for service above and beyond.

Good thread.

I never tip cafe/restaurant staff.

I remember reading the Australian Women's Weekly (magazine) in my youth and the advice given for cabbies' tips was as follows: round up to the nearest dollar and chuck in another 50 cents. Now, we are talking probably 20-30 years ago for this :rolleyes: so my personal view is:

Polite and has a clean taxi: $2

Polite, clean taxi AND can chat with me about the cricket: $5

Depends on the length of travel, for these I'm talking at least a $20 fare which seems to get you NOT VERY FAR these days. I'm not rich but these people do a lot of hours, cop a lot of abuse - especially having to deal with drunks etc.

Airport cabbies are an entirely different subsection as I have never come across one that wasn't cranky, therefore $0

I contract the 'Tipping Virus' when I visit the Land of the Free, handing Uncle Sam's greenbacks to porters, shuttle bus drivers, bellboys, wait staff, hotel bed makers.. Makes me feel like Santa Claus because I know most of them are working for $5 to $8 per hour and like ship staff, need the tips to subsidise their wages in order to live and feed their families..

Just like tipping service crew on the ships, tipping on land makes me feel good.

• 2 months later...

It's quite simple. Use the "when in Rome" approach. It would be rude for an Australian visiting the USA not to tip. It would be disrespectful of the local customs. It would be appreciated if American's would respect our customs in return. We do not tip like you do, in Australia. You don't need to and you shouldn't. I don't care if it makes you feel good or if it makes you feel uncomfortable not to. It is our custom. Please respect it when visiting our shores. You may believe that it has no ill effect, but it does. It erodes our customs and replaces it with yours. Italy is not traditionally a tipping nation. However I was shocked to see on a return recent visit the number of times locals were surprised when I didn't give them tips. I just said, "I'm not American", to which the apologised and backed away sheepishly. If i spend $600 on a day tour, you do not get another 20%. You get a thank you. However if my tour had been in a tipping country, I would have tipped. Americans should probably also note, that if you ask service staff in a foreign country if it is custom to tip, they will most may say yes to an American, even if it is not the custom. There is also a plethora of travel guides with incorrect information on tipping customs.

Re the taxis. I round up in Australia unless I use the credit card which I now do frequently. But as I'm not one of the slobby nasty types they have to carry I'm not sure why I need to tip in order to make up for those passengers who are?

. There is also a plethora of travel guides with incorrect information on tipping customs.

Oh I just love that word plethora, it conjures up all sorts of wonderful and magical things to think about, even tipping customs!