Flying home from Sydney

laurieb

We will be arriving in Sydney on the Journey March 21st and overnighting in port; our flight home departs at 10:15am on the 22nd. What time would you suggest we leave the ship?

Google says that it takes 28 minutes by train or car assuming no traffic. If you leave the ship and get onto your cab and are moving at 7:30, that puts you at the airport terminal at 8:00 assuming no delays. Since March 22 is a weekday, leaving at 7:30 will put you right in the middle of rush hour traffic. There are lots of hits on the internet about how bad rush hour traffic is in Sydney which I assume that you have not checked. That means that you have 2 1/4 hours to check in, go through security, get to your gate, etc. if you are not delayed by rush hour.

How early before final boarding do you have to be at the gate.

A very simple Google search done by typing "how long to i have to be at the gate at Sydney airport for international boardin" into Google came up with this site - http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/prepare/pre-flight-check-for-departures/travel-tips.aspx - which says that you should arrive at the airport "no later than two hours prior to departure to allow for enough time for check-in, Customs and Border Protection, immigration and security screening and any unexpected delays."

Seems to me that you are cutting it really close. If you miss your flight, what is your plan B?

BTW - my whole search to get this information took me maybe 2 minutes. I can not figure out why people do not use Google as a resource.

DON

Well Don, I appreciate your input, not so much your attitude. Sometimes information from someone who has just recently done it is better than a google search with old information. Google is great for some things, not everything.

BTW, I did check google, the airlines guidelines and the airports suggested times before I posted.

Edited by laurieb

Unfortunately you are stuck with road only from White Bay cruise terminal. It wouldn't be worth taking a bus to the train station. It will be peak hour traffic. I would leave before 7.30to be sure. Checking in online should help as would flying business class but our local TA's still advise us to allow at least 2 hours 30 mins before flight. haven't had experience with taxi service at White Bay either. Hoping there will be a line of them for you.Good luck and enjoy our beautiful city.

Thank you very much! We plan on reserving a private shuttle to get us to the airport. I'm thinking 7 am pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please check your port - we board on 22 March and I noticed from the Sydney cruise schedule that Journey moves from White Bay to OPT (Circular Quay) at 4.00 pm on the 21st (alot better for you being able to walk into the city). I don't think anyone on our roll call has been advised by Azamara of the change, please check so that your shuttle has the correct place to pick you up and whether going through city traffic will slow you down.

What time do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably 6:00

But I'd be more comfortable with a later flight. Most lines recommend 5 hours in Sydney for the earliest flight time after docking. Now if we that that recommendation with a 10:15 flight, you'd have to be docking around 5:00 and allowing an hour to disembark, makes it 6:00. (I hope that's followable).

Now 75% of the time 7:00 won't be aproblem, but .....

We have an overnight so that should make it easier. I suppose we could leave as early as 6:00 but I won't be happy and neither will my DH. We don't have a choice of flights when crossing the Pacific so are stuck with our 10:15 flight. Thanks for the help.

Garry

Please check your port - we board on 22 March and I noticed from the Sydney cruise schedule that Journey moves from White Bay to OPT (Circular Quay) at 4.00 pm on the 21st (alot better for you being able to walk into the city). I don't think anyone on our roll call has been advised by Azamara of the change, please check so that your shuttle has the correct place to pick you up and whether going through city traffic will slow you down.

This is new from a previous schedule I had looked at.

I do believe this happened before.....I remember reading this in a previous cruise review from last year and it caused some confusion for the cruisers that trip. Hopefully Azamara makes this clear in the cruise docs.

Thank you for the "heads up"!!

Used to use a private shuttle but now go by train. We do live about 45 minutes( on a good day!) from the airport. Station at Circular Quay/ OPT can be seen from ships in port so a short walk. Train journey takes 33 minutes on Revesby via airport line. AT that time trains every few minutes. Then it is lifts up to the terminal. Cost is A$18 each. Takes a lot of the guesswork away.!! Otherwise google airport shuttles or check TA? The ones I checked all get you to put your flight details in so guess they would advise you of the best pickup time?? There should be plenty of taxis in that area as well. Taxi time shown as 15 minutes and cost around A$50

Thank you. Odd that the train would take longer than a taxi.

On one taxi site, I see the fare as about $40 AUD, and the time is 25 minutes (with 10 minutes waiting in traffic). It would seem relatively safe to allow a full hour to get to the airport if we left at 07:00 for a 10:15 flight, giving us 2 hours and 15 minutes.

The question for me is whether or not there would be taxis readily available at that time of day. I am more concerned about having a ride available at 7:00 than driving and processing time.

As Laurie said, google can give you conflicting information (much like cruise lines :eek:). Most information I have read (and experience in many cities around the world) makes me pretty comfortable with 2 hours from arriving at the terminal to boarding.

Sorry the train time included walking time! I would be pretty sure the taxis will be lined up ready to go. And yes 2 hours for checkin works in most places. Hoping you do end up at Circular Quay- so much more convenient and spectacular. sailing up the harbour at dawn is one of the best things I have ever done - but then I am a biased Sydneysider!!! If you enjoy seafood the Fish Market is a must!!

I wonder if it would be wise to stay at a hotel near the airport on the 21st...

Without question, it would be less stressful, and we considered that but decided the expense to avoid getting up an extra 30-45 minutes earlier was not worth it.

Since we overnight in Sydney, there will be no issues with getting off as early as you like. The ship will be cleared the afternoon of the 21st. The big difference with going that early is that we'll have to handle our luggage all the way and not put it out the night before. But Azamara is great about offering assistance with things like that. Reserving transportation in advance (or even calling for a taxi before getting off the ship) should provide assurance that your ride will be there.

Maybe I am foolishly naive, but I don't think traffic will be a major problem. I base that assumption on three things:

• I looked on google maps and saw that about 2/3 of the trip is on a motorway.

• We will be going outbound which should be against most of the rush hour traffic.

• In most cities of the world, rush hour doesn't peak until close to 8:00.

I had actually planned on getting off the ship about 7:15 to start the taxi ride at 7:30, feeling that was reasonable, but after hearing from locals about traffic and airport processing times, we will start about 30-45 minutes earlier, just to be a little more conservative.

Edited by bob278

We have an overnight so that should make it easier. I suppose we could leave as early as 6:00 but I won't be happy and neither will my DH. We don't have a choice of flights when crossing the Pacific so are stuck with our 10:15 flight. Thanks for the help.

Garry

I would certainly go that early traffic was chaos last year. Also there were no cabs waiting at the terminal which caused a lot of issues so I would prebook your car. 7.30 is way too risky

Garry

Is that the only flight that will get you home? Where are you flying to? What is your plan B if you miss your flight?

You could also spend a day in Sydney and then stay over at a hotel right at the airport. Sydney is not a bad place to spend an additional day.

DON

Just had a friend who works on the Journey check, and we do move to the Overseas Passenger Terminal at 4pm on the 21st.

I have looked into a private transfer and the time we would be picked up at the ship for a 10:15am flight is 6:45, arriving at 8:15 to the airport.