beckyhg

Fathom Adonia - April 16, 2017 - Cuba

Hi. We are thinking about the April 16 Cuba cruise. It would be me, my brother and my 15-year-old son. Anyone else with teenagers going?? :D

We are on the ship and from AZ too...Phoenix. In fact, my husband's name is also Doug! We'll have to meet!

We are on the ship and from AZ too...Phoenix. In fact, my husband's name is also Doug! We'll have to meet!

Summersong - on my phone earlier, so post was short and sweet. We used to live in the Valley but are now in Prescott. Coming to PHX on April 14 so we'll be ready to fly out to Miami on the 15th. Can't wait!

Hi All, I am also going on the cruise with a friend. What is everyone doing about shore excursions? Are you taking the ones that are provided by the ship, or have you found some others? California here.

Hi! I am doing the excursions offered by the cruise since they are included in the fare.

I am from North Carolina. See you in a few weeks!

~Kirsten

We're doing a little of both--ship offered excursions and private. Private Santiago, ship in Cienfuegos, ship day one in Havana and private day two.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I just wanted to assure everyone NOT to be worried about the ship-provided excursions. It's not your typical cruise ship jam-pack a bus kind of thing. The buses are never full, and there is time to get off and walk at various points - even with free time to wander on your own and not just march in a line. :)

Do you mind sharing the name of the company, and how you went about finding them?

I think we really want to do a car tour, but am not sure how to go about finding them and booking. Thanks. :confused:

FWIW, I had a great experience just getting a car right outside the terminal. They are lined up and you can pick your car. They have 2 routes you can pick from - or do both.

I arranged a night thing through HoliPlus for a car to and from the Hotel Nacional along with dinner and the Cabaret Parisien which was fine, but the car was WAY down from the terminal entrance, and I had to walk around and find it on my own - even though the company made it sound like the driver would be IN the public area of the terminal like car services that pick you up at the airport.

We are doing a car tour on day two in a '54 Buick convertible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Was this OldCarTours? If so we have that same Buick convertible reserved for Havana Day 1 of the April 2nd cruise. Having them pick us up at San Cristobal Paladar after lunch.

Do you mind sharing the name of the company, and how you went about finding them?

I think we really want to do a car tour, but am not sure how to go about finding them and booking. Thanks. :confused:

Sure - happy to share. I was coming out of a movie when I did my short sweet response. Now at home where I can look and make sure I give you the right info. We booked with Old Car Tours: www.oldcartours.com I found some reviews for them - I think on Trip Advisor primarily - and they looked pretty good. Also saw at least one review on Cruise Critic. My husband, Doug, corresponded with Rodrigo, using the email address on the website. We are doing a 3-hour tour and we've asked him to make sure to stop by the train station so Doug (the avid train and railroad memorabilia collector in the family) can take a few photos. The train station wasn't specifically included on the itineraries included on the website. We'll also likely make a cigar shopping stop if we haven't already taken care of that by the time we have this tour. I believe the 3-hours with English speaking guide included will run us $120 CUCs. There is some flexibility to go beyond the 3 hours if the schedule allows.

I read on some thread, probably related to another Cuba/Fathom cruise on a different date, that one can just wait until you get there and many drivers will be staged so you can pick one and negotiate a price. I felt better booking in advance.

Was this OldCarTours? If so we have that same Buick convertible reserved for Havana Day 1 of the April 2nd cruise. Having them pick us up at San Cristobal Paladar after lunch.

Hey, may be the same as that's the company we are using. I'll have to check with you after your cruise to see how you liked it.

Hi from Long Island! I'm also hiring a guide for Havana- are there any recommendations for day trips besides tobacco plantations? Thanks!

Hi y'all. I'll be cruising on this date with my Brother Jim. Where do you plan to exchange money?? Will they do it onboard the ship? We want to visit a nice cigar factory. Any suggestions? Anyone want to share a car/guide?

Hi y'all. I'll be cruising on this date with my Brother Jim. Where do you plan to exchange money?? Will they do it onboard the ship? We want to visit a nice cigar factory. Any suggestions? Anyone want to share a car/guide?

There are exchange places right after you clear customs (which you do in every port) to exchange for CUCs. You cannot do it on the ship.

Do be aware that there is an additional 10% fee for changing US Dollars. I opted to have Euros - ultimately it came out better to do it that way, but your mileage may vary.

Sorry I can't help with the cigars - I cannot tolerate any smoke so I avoided those places like the plague.

There are exchange places right after you clear customs (which you do in every port) to exchange for CUCs. You cannot do it on the ship.

Do be aware that there is an additional 10% fee for changing US Dollars. I opted to have Euros - ultimately it came out better to do it that way, but your mileage may vary.

Sorry I can't help with the cigars - I cannot tolerate any smoke so I avoided those places like the plague.

Thank You!:)