Eurodam 8th deck aft facing cabins

Hello all, I'm brand new to Cruise Critic and am planning an August or early September Alaska cruise. On the last week of August I am looking at booking an aft facing cabin on the Eurodam on deck 8. The specific cabin is VC 8164. It appears that because this is the most outside cabin it is smaller than the others in the aft facing location. I am wondering if anyone has stayed in that cabin or the one on the other side and how much smaller it is. Is there no couch due to smaller size? Also I realize there could be noise issues from pool above, some people have complained about the noise while others have not. Any thoughts on that issue in Alaska would also be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

There is a picture of 8166 HERE which is probably close to 8164 in size, and it has a sofa. (Click pic to enlarge) That picture is more than 5 years old, and the TV etc may have been updated since.

Edited by jtl513

Thanks again JT, however on the deck diagram the cabin I'm asking about looks smaller than the one in the picture you sent me which is more towards the middle of the stern. I really wanted a sofa or loveseat to sit in to watch the amazing scenery go by if I want to be inside for awhile. Also still wondering what people think about the noise factor.....

Thanks again JT, however on the deck diagram the cabin I'm asking about looks smaller than the one in the picture you sent me which is more towards the middle of the stern. I really wanted a sofa or loveseat to sit in to watch the amazing scenery go by if I want to be inside for awhile. Also still wondering what people think about the noise factor.....

We always select stern cabins because of the beautiful view. However, we do avoid deck 8, immediately under the Lido deck due to the noises from moving chairs, workers cleaning etc. Also, we select cabins in the middle of the grouping of stern veranda cabins, because the ones on either end are definitely smaller than the ones in the middle. This is our experience on the Vista class ships, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam. Check cruise deck plans.com and you may find that someone has posted a picture of your exact cabin.

We once had 4178. The balcony was about a foot deeper on the inboard side than on the outboard side, so I am guessing that 8166 (in the picture) is about a foot longer than 8164. However, I don't think you'll be able to see enough scenery sitting inside. Bring a wool hat and gloves and use ship's blankets to sit outside. You may even get warm enough weather to not need to bundle up. :)

We have had three deck 8 cabins that were not right on the stern, but under the pool deck on the sides. We are early risers (often up at the Lido waiting for the full buffet line to open) so the only significant noise we heard was when there was loud music playing at night.

Edited by jtl513

The Alaska cruises usually visit Glacier Bay, which is quite an awesome sight.

The ship is positioned sideways twice to the glaciers, and the back cabins see less of the glaciers.

It is a matter of taste, but the back cabins only see a lot of propeller wake, and rear view of where we were already. Add to that the azipods vibrations/noise, and hull movements, I always wonder why folks like those.

Just wondering.

We had cabin 8175 which would be on the opposite side to the one you are looking at. The only noise we had issues with was very late one night there was furniture being moved around on the Lido Deck above and it was an awful din. We spoke to the staff at the front desk and we were not troubled further. There was little or no noise from the engines etc. We quite liked seeing where we had been! There was a sofa near the balcony door but you would not get the views you could have from the balcony.