HDNomad

Pitons in St. Lucia

We are wondering what is the best tour to see the Pitons in St. Lucia.

Edited by HDNomad

We did the La Soufriere Volcano Tour in September and we saw the Pitons. I can not tell you if that is the best tour to see them, but we loved that tour :)

Cindy

We did the La Soufriere Volcano Tour in September and we saw the Pitons. I can not tell you if that is the best tour to see them, but we loved that tour :)

Cindy

We did that tour as well and thought it was worthwhile. Though the ride there and back was just a bit scary. I think next time I'll take a boat tour there!

We did that tour as well and thought it was worthwhile. Though the ride there and back was just a bit scary. I think next time I'll take a boat tour there!

I have heard about the scary ride from other people as well. I guess we were sitting on the "right" side on the bus and it wasn't scary at all.

Just go up on deck or go out on your balcony when the ship is sailing by on the way in. They were right there in front of me when sailing by. Of course I was on the starboard side. Got some nice pics of them. And I didn't have to pay for an excursion. But, I'm sure an excursion would be the way to go.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was the water rough when you did the Coastal Tour? Thinking of booking it.

And what kind of boat was it? Catamaran or tour boat?

Thanks

We used Cosol tours last year. While the tour was an all day event, it was well worth it. They kept us fed and hydrated, tons of stops for pictures, and we saw so many sights that it was hands down the best tour we have ever been on. We got to swim between the Pitons, got in a volcanic hot spring, put on some volcanic mud, and washed it off in a waterfall.

But yes, if you get motion sick in a vehicle, this might not be the tour for you. Going out (away) from the ship wasn't too bad as you stop every now and then, but the ride back is just driving for a long time on switchback roads. They stop once on the way back for a quick snack and stretch your legs, but vans are moving pretty well on that part of the drive.

Edited by Rewind

Spenser Ambrose runs some great tours out of St. Lucia. We took one of his tours that included the Pitons and a boat tour with a beach stop.

We used Cosol tours last year. While the tour was an all day event, it was well worth it. They kept us fed and hydrated, tons of stops for pictures, and we saw so many sights that it was hands down the best tour we have ever been on. We got to swim between the Pitons, got in a volcanic hot spring, put on some volcanic mud, and washed it off in a waterfall.

But yes, if you get motion sick in a vehicle, this might not be the tour for you. Going out (away) from the ship wasn't too bad as you stop every now and then, but the ride back is just driving for a long time on switchback roads. They stop once on the way back for a quick snack and stretch your legs, but vans are moving pretty well on that part of the drive.

I had a group of 12 take Cosol and agree with everything mentioned here (though not sure about the hydrated part, we drank the provided beer the entire day ;) ). I think my favorite part of the tour was riding in a boat over to Sugar Beach in between the pitons - absolutely gorgeous! I definitely recommend Cosol Tours!

Spencer Ambrose was wonderful. Had a great boat ride there. We also had a lunch of barbecued chicken if I remember correctly. I would definitely go with him again.

We also took the Cosul tour. We loved approaching the Pitons by boat. Every aspect of the tour was great, including the cold drinks and hot bread with melted cheese on the drive back.:)

We did The Cosol tour as well. Best tour I've ever taken, well worth the money. We got a couple views of the Pitons on that tour but the best was when we took the speed boat ride over to the beach and swam between them.

We did not find the car ride portion to be bad at all, but we are from Colorado and are very used to mountain driving so that might be why it didn't phase us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another vote for Cosol .

We had a group of 4 and all of us thought it was one of the best excursion we had ever done.

My sister was worried about making it back to the ship on time... I calmed her down saying this is their bread and butter. If people missed the ship, they wouldn't have such a high rating. We got back with over an hour to explore the lil shops...

The water was not rough at all and it was on a Catamaran.

Thanks!

Forgot to ask- did you do this through the cruise line excursions (RCI) ?

And we are traveling with my 87 year old sister. She gets around ok. Do you think she would be comfortable on a catamaran?

I appreciate your help.

Jalousie Beach Break with Spencer Ambrose. You board his boat right at the cruise port in Castries and off you go to the Pitons. The beach is snuggled in right between the two. On the return, you explore the coastline between Soufriere and Castries.

From our tour last March:

[YOUTUBE]Qb6eipq9Pxo[/YOUTUBE]

But yes, if you get motion sick in a vehicle, this might not be the tour for you. .

Motion sick? For me it was being on the side of a mountain with no curbs passing another vehicle at 30mph. :eek: Your tour did sound good, ours was similar but with no swimming or hot spring baths, did see them though.

We did Spenser Ambrose last October and had a great time. It was a little rough going back to the ship, but he stayed close to shore to a void the waves. This is our second time we have gone with him.

I'm currently booked with Cosol but I am seriously thinking about switching to an RCI tour. I've read horror stories about Cosol getting back to the ship with 2-10mins to spare.

I'm open to suggestions and opinions. Still on the fence. I know they get such high ratings but I want to be able to enjoy the day and not worry about cutting it that close.

I'm currently booked with Cosol but I am seriously thinking about switching to an RCI tour. I've read horror stories about Cosol getting back to the ship with 2-10mins to spare.

I'm open to suggestions and opinions. Still on the fence. I know they get such high ratings but I want to be able to enjoy the day and not worry about cutting it that close.

I have no experience, but since its a private tour, email them with your concern and see what they say. Its possible they keep a cell phone with the port officer's number on it and can relay that they are on their way back. I haven't read of anyone not making the ship, but I do understand the trepidation of not making it.

I haven't read any horror stories about them...

If you feel it is getting to late, let them know, they were more than willing to skip something and take people back early.

The van I was in had 6 from Adventure, 2 from Jewel, 2 that were just island hopping... I think there were 9 vans that day, plus the manager was in his own van with few crew personal and if need be, he would bring someone back to the ship.

I booked Cosol on both of my southern cruises and would not hesitate to do it again. There is no RCI tour that will come close to the value you will get, it was the highlight of both my southern Caribbean cruises.

No issues getting back to the ship...they are constantly checking the progress and have checkpoints so they know if they need to speed up or avoid a stop. They run these tours almost every day for cruise passengers and have it down pat. If they had issues getting customers back to the ship they wouldn't be in business for as long as they have.

I am choosy about giving endorsements or recommendations, but their tour is the best excursion I've ever been on.

Jalousie Beach Break with Spencer Ambrose. You board his boat right at the cruise port in Castries and off you go to the Pitons. The beach is snuggled in right between the two. On the return, you explore the coastline between Soufriere and Castries.

From our tour last March:

[YOUTUBE]Qb6eipq9Pxo[/YOUTUBE]

We've used Spencer Ambrose on three occasions and he has been excellent. No complaints with him at all. Especially enjoyed the Jalousie Beach tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We used Spencer Ambrose Tours for the Land, Sea and Beach Adventure in April 2016. It was our first non-RCI excursion, so were a little nervous about getting back on time, etc. He made it VERY simple as he met us right off the boat. No hassles, no problems. He took care of everything and after a full day, we got back to the boat in plenty of time. Truly, it was without a doubt the best and most memorable excursion we have ever been on, in any port. We would absolutely use him again.

Years ago when we sailed Serenade to St.Lucia we got the best tour of Pitons of all. After departing St. Lucia we sailed to the Pitons where Serenade got in the center between the to, did a 360 turn and then settled in so we could all watch an amazing sunset after which we continued the cruise.

To this day I will never forget the captain of that voyage, Capt. Stig Nilsen. On the way back to San Juan he gave a brief history of each of the islands that we sailed by as well as giving us a close up view of the volcanic destruction on Montserrat. He made that cruise very special.

356aad568edb96ba207a0b51090cb5ee.jpg

On Serenade repo in November I used the RCL bus tour of the island. As has been said the roads are hairy, I don't think we had a straight stretch of road the whole day.

Sent from my F8331 using Forums mobile app

We did the Coastal Cruise to the Pitons, a Royal excursion. About 3 1/2 hours via catamaran. The weather was perfect, scenery was superb, tour guide was so-so. The boat played island music and served free drinks (rum punch) and sandwiches. We stopped along the way for folks to do some swimming. We eventually arrived at the Pitons and pulled up to within a couple of hundred feet. By the end of the cruise, people were dancing up a storm, the drinks were flowing and the music was blasting. A fun excursion!

This is the tour we are looking at.

Can you tell me if you think my 87 year old sister will be comfortable on this catamaran? Is there anywhere to sit in the shade?

Thanks

another recommendation for Cosol tours. Excellent value, and swimming between the Pitons was wonderful!

Can you tell me if you think my 87 year old sister will be comfortable on this catamaran? Is there anywhere to sit in the shade?

Thanks

You can sit inside or outside. Inside is shaded - outside is more fun. She will be OK as long as she doesn't mind the music and drinking.

Years ago when we sailed Serenade to St.Lucia we got the best tour of Pitons of all. After departing St. Lucia we sailed to the Pitons where Serenade got in the center between the to, did a 360 turn and then settled in so we could all watch an amazing sunset after which we continued the cruise.

To this day I will never forget the captain of that voyage, Capt. Stig Nilsen. On the way back to San Juan he gave a brief history of each of the islands that we sailed by as well as giving us a close up view of the volcanic destruction on Montserrat. He made that cruise very special.

I was just on the Brillance in December and he was our captain! How neat!

Thanks!

Forgot to ask- did you do this through the cruise line excursions (RCI) ?

And we are traveling with my 87 year old sister. She gets around ok. Do you think she would be comfortable on a catamaran?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Yes the tour was with RCI. There's plenty of seats in the shade on the Catamaran, there's no inside on the Catamaran. Music is playing on the way back from the Pitons, not everyone is drinking. I do recall they served us tea sandwiches, some were tuna fish and some were cheese sandwiches. Everyone had a good time on that tour and I think your sister will enjoy it :)

Here's a youtube video of the Coastal Cruise to the Pitons, as you can see there's plenty of seating for shade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PWYRkxR02I

Motion sick? For me it was being on the side of a mountain with no curbs passing another vehicle at 30mph. :eek: Your tour did sound good, ours was similar but with no swimming or hot spring baths, did see them though.

You mentioned this was the La Soufriere Volcano Tour ... was that a private tour or one through Royal? I really want to experience the scenery without the swim or mud bath part.

Another vote here for Spencer Ambrose. The "beach break" excursion has spectacular views as it takes you to the beach between the two peaks. I have done this 3 times! It is one of my favorite excursions ever!

aaa2bdb0b8075c0a16bb8a9a8a9b9974.jpgc65a52f4fb0c8a4413b45627fd7eba78.jpg2c5b4c7a48d7b875aa9b3b42795a99c6.jpg

We also did Cosol Tours (last June) and thought it was one of the best tours that we've done. The island is gorgeous and there are some amazing views during the drive. See my discussion/pictures in my Adventure of the Seas review (link below) starting at post #92.

While we loved the tour and were very glad that we got to see the island by land, we would probably take a boat tour directly to Sugar Beach next time. We loved the beach and just didn't have enough time there with everything else that was packed into the land tour. We got back to the ship with about 30 minutes to spare, but were stuck (i.e. mostly dead stopped) in Castries "rush hour" traffic for several minutes. I was getting a little nervous but our driver made a detour down some side streets and we were fine. I'd suggest taking a private tour. It's not that much more expensive and gives you more control of timing. You can ask to start heading back a little early to ensure that you have enough extra time.

We enjoyed the Coastal Cruise to the Pitons and looking forward to booking it again when we go back in December.

We have done the Coastal Cruise twice. Great way to see Pitons