Car rental in Whitter

zarleydog

It looks like Avis is the only national chain that rents out of Whittier, but with phenominal charges for a one-way drop. There is also a local agency with better rates (especially for multi-day rentals) named Harley'sRentAlaska....

http://www.harleysrentalaska.com/

Has anyone rented through them ?

You apparently must phone them to confirm a reservation, and I'm reluctant to take the plunge without first getting some good reports from happy customers.

Thanks for the link, however, Harley's is more expensive for me than Avis was. Being as I haven't heard anything bad about Avis, I think I'll stick with them. I was hoping Harley's would not have that ridiculous one way fee, wishful thinking:rolleyes:

Harley's was in business this past season. I only know of one renter who had no problems with them.

As a suggestion, if you are using this rental to get to Seward, it may be cheaper to just return the car to Whittier on the way back, take a day glacier boat tour, then the regular run of the Alaska RR.

Another cost saving tip is to rent if on full 24 hour days and turn it in when you get to Anchorage. Then pick up a cheap round trip Anchorage rental. Should not take more than an hour.

BQ,

Thanks for your help on all topics Alaska, your insights have been instrumental in our pre-cruise planning. After five days on the Kenai want to drop the car in Whittier on Saturday when we sail Diamond Princess in the evening.

We'll be spending Friday in Seward, so our choices are the one-way dropoff (preferred), or returning the car to Anchorage and picking up the train or bus to Whittier. Harley's will run about $300.00 versus $600.00 for Avis, as I price it out on their websites.(No appliable discounts for Avis, unfortunately)

Archived