willowvacay

Pride of America (is that even an NCL ship??) Review with PICS!

This was such a wonderful review. We have been contemplating a trip to Hawaii, but with all of the so-so reviews of POA had pretty much ruled that out. Now you have me thinking about it again.

By the way, the minimum age for sailing on Disney is only six months old, as they have a nursery on board (it does cost extra though up until age 3). Disney cruises are pricey, but are oh so wonderful. We're just the opposite of your family. Now that our "baby" is 19, we are trying out NCL for our next two cruises after many on Disney. We started traveling with our son when he was just an infant. He was hiking in Yellowstone at the age of three. His love of travel was instilled at a very young age, and I'm sure your child's will be as well. Best of luck to you on your new and most wonderful adventure!!

Thanks for reading the review! Also thank you for encouraging travel with a child! We have big plans for travel as a crew and so many people in real life have been discouraging saying things like "it will be a long time before you go on another trip." Haters ;). I am so encouraged that so many people on here continued to pursue their love of travel and pass it on to their young children!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for reading the review! Also thank you for encouraging travel with a child! We have big plans for travel as a crew and so many people in real life have been discouraging saying things like "it will be a long time before you go on another trip." Haters ;). I am so encouraged that so many people on here continued to pursue their love of travel and pass it on to their young children!

Hi

I have 2 kids (17 & 23) they were both on planes and on vacation at 3 months old and we haven't stopped vacationing. My 17 year has been on 15 cruises starting 1 years old. I've been a single mom a long time and still went on vacation with them. The type of vacation my change but you can still go away and have fun. Btw, I think cruise are great to go on with kids. Congrats.

I'm going on POA next week and this time it is without the kids [emoji4]

Oh no! They are haters for real. I'm with Pickles61. DH and I met on a cruise and have been traveling ever since. Our oldest was on a plane at 7 months and our youngest was on a plane to Hawaii at 3 months. You absolutely CAN still travel with kids! Family vacations are even more amazing because you share the experience and the memories as a family! You'll know when you're ready to hit the road ( or sea [emoji6]) again and don't let anyone discourage you. Ours are 10 and 7 now and they love cruising more than we do! Lol. Enjoy your baby and enjoy family travel as well. After all it's free to fly with kids until they turn 2! [emoji38]

Oh no! They are haters for real. I'm with Pickles61. DH and I met on a cruise and have been traveling ever since. Our oldest was on a plane at 7 months and our youngest was on a plane to Hawaii at 3 months. You absolutely CAN still travel with kids! Family vacations are even more amazing because you share the experience and the memories as a family! You'll know when you're ready to hit the road ( or sea [emoji6]) again and don't let anyone discourage you. Ours are 10 and 7 now and they love cruising more than we do! Lol. Enjoy your baby and enjoy family travel as well. After all it's free to fly with kids until they turn 2! [emoji38]

Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for reading!!

We leave in a month for this cruise! I got SO MUCH useful info from your fabulous review. Thank you so much. Taking my daughter and her BF for high school graduation trip. Seems like yesterday she went on her first cruise at 6 months! And believe me, she was the star of the show. Travel really broadens the horizon for kids. I also believe this is why she is not a picky eater. She will try anything! I hope you will post news of the arrival of your little cruiser. Blessings to your family!

Thank you for your review! It brings back lots of memories....you see, we were scheduled to be on the very FIRST sailing of the Pride of America from San Francisco to Hawaii, then around the islands. If you don't know the history of the Pride of America, we were anxiously awaiting our cruise, with a very active CC roll call thread, and regular updates from the shipyard in Germany, where the POA was being built, when we got the news that our ship, the POA had actually sunk to the bottom of the shipyard in Germany. Evidently, a large storm came up and someone left a (evidently somewhat large) door open, the ship took on water and sunk to the bottom. Granted, the shipyard was not very deep, but it was deep enough! NCL hurried up with the refitting of the Pride of Aloha (I forget it's original name) and put us all on that ship instead....Our roll call mascot was the Flamingo, and we were somewhat famous! That said, many were upset, but we flamingos were determined to have a good time. We planned and planned all of our excursions, and we all had a blast! I still occasionally hear from some of the other flamingos!!:*

FYI - after not cruising for nearly 10 years, I had forgotten my CC sign on, and had to start all over again! Our roll call alone had more than 150 pages on it!

Thank you so much for this great review! I just booked this cruise and enjoyed reading your review!!

Kerry

Thank you so much for this great review! I just booked this cruise and enjoyed reading your review!!

Kerry

I hope you have a great time!

Thank you so much for this review. All the best with your new addition, remember NCL has a nice friends & family several time a year :).

Just 1 question, on your last day at the Marriott Resort can you tell me which room you were in? I want to wake up seeing Diamond Head if possible when we are there in April. Not clear what rooms NCL will have booked but will ask a few weeks out to get something on this side and high enough. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again, Laura

Amazing review! I Just booked this cruise today with the $1 deposit, so very excited to read your review and get a sense of the ship with your photos! :)

Thank you so much for this review. All the best with your new addition, remember NCL has a nice friends & family several time a year :).

Just 1 question, on your last day at the Marriott Resort can you tell me which room you were in? I want to wake up seeing Diamond Head if possible when we are there in April. Not clear what rooms NCL will have booked but will ask a few weeks out to get something on this side and high enough. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again, Laura

I’m sorry but I’m not sure which room it was :(. I wish I could tell you. I hope you get a great room with a view of diamond head!

Bumping this to the top.

Enjoy reading the reviews. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Thank you for reading! I enjoyed writing the review :)

Great review! Just yesterday booked POA for summer 2019 and know that I will refer to this often! Good luck with the baby and if you have questions re: Disney Cruise Line let me know! POA will be my 3rd cruise as a Mommy!

Thanks for the great review. You know it’s a good one when I’m taking notes. Especially where to eat for bfast

Thanks for the awesome review. I can't wait to finish it.

I might get to this later, but, were you allowed to take food off with you? I'm hoping to buy non perishables on Maui day 1 to take with us on day 2. We'll still have to stop somewhere for sodas or water as I'm not paying NCL for those.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the awesome review. I can't wait to finish it.

I might get to this later, but, were you allowed to take food off with you? I'm hoping to buy non perishables on Maui day 1 to take with us on day 2. We'll still have to stop somewhere for sodas or water as I'm not paying NCL for those.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

This could be your answer :

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2532855

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

what a great review....thank you as there are not many

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for reading :)

Thank you so much for the cruise review. 3 weeks until we start our Hawaii Adventure. Few days in Maui pre-cruise and then join the Pride of America. Should be a great cruise. Lots of fun and adventure planned.

Great review!!!! Leaving for same cruise in 2 weeks and very excited. You helped me with a few questions I had and you gave me alot of insight on what to expect on board. Thank you!!!!!

Amazing review. I was invited to the christening of the POA in 2005 in New York. Some day I hope to cruise on the PRIDE OF AMERICA. First large passenger vessel flying the U S flag since the 50s.

I presented a model that I made of the POA and SS UNITED STATES to the captain back in June 2005.

The models have been at the shore excursion desk since.

I feel the ship is a tribute to the US. It was so cool that day to see our flag raised aling with the national anthem.

Thank you so much for the cruise review. 3 weeks until we start our Hawaii Adventure. Few days in Maui pre-cruise and then join the Pride of America. Should be a great cruise. Lots of fun and adventure planned.

Have a great time on your trip! You will love it!

Great review!!!! Leaving for same cruise in 2 weeks and very excited. You helped me with a few questions I had and you gave me alot of insight on what to expect on board. Thank you!!!!!

I’m so glad i could be of help in your planning! Have a great time on your cruise!

Amazing review. I was invited to the christening of the POA in 2005 in New York. Some day I hope to cruise on the PRIDE OF AMERICA. First large passenger vessel flying the U S flag since the 50s.

I presented a model that I made of the POA and SS UNITED STATES to the captain back in June 2005.

The models have been at the shore excursion desk since.

I feel the ship is a tribute to the US. It was so cool that day to see our flag raised aling with the national anthem.

That is so cool! Thank you for sharing :)

Yeah, gambling only allowed in international waters, not in US. Therefore, none in Hawaii.