Dawn May 2017- Boston...New to cruising

BrownEyedGirl686

Hello All!

I am new to cruising, and have booked a cruise in May of this year on the Dawn out of Boston.

I was just wondering somethings that are a must bring. I have been doing some research, but I wanted to hear first hand. I am a bit of a planner and am trying to do enough 'google-ing' for lack of a better word before our trip.

I appreciate any and all help!

Thank you!!

Make sure you plenty of sunblock. NCL is very casual. Do not pack formal clothes unless you really want to dress up. Capris and fun top is fine in all dining rooms. Men need to wear slacks in lebistro and Venetian. Bring ones to tip if you choose to tip extra( you don't have to). We bring a small clock because the cabins don't have any. Buy Bonine at your drugstore and take one tab everyday and you should have no problems with sea sickness. Bring hair conditioner because none is provided. You will do a lot of walking on the ship and in Bermuda so skip the high heels. Post its and pens to leave your room steward notes. Highlighters to highlight events you want to do in your freestyle daily. If you want certain times in the specialty restaurants book before your cruise. We pay our gratuities before the cruise so we don't have a bill at the end. Enjoy! Get ready to become addicted. We are on the Dawn the following week.

All great suggestions above. Adding:

-power strip for charging more than one thing at a time

-lanyard for the key card you have to carry most of the time

-pop-up hamper for dirty clothes (helps organize your cabin)

-drink tumblers (ship cups are usually small and without lids, it's easier to take a drink back to your room this way)

-earplugs in case you have noisy neighbors or door slammers

-mini medicine chest, I use an empty Altoona tin (anything you need to buy on the ship is extremely expensive)

-small binoculars if you have a balcony cabin

Definitely don't over pack. You don't need a hamper. You don't need to bring your own cups. Pack beach clothes for a week. Something a little better than shorts and tshirts for dinner. Nothing fancy.

There is only one outlet, so a NON surge protected power stip helps.

Make sure you plenty of sunblock. NCL is very casual. Do not pack formal clothes unless you really want to dress up. Capris and fun top is fine in all dining rooms. Men need to wear slacks in lebistro and Venetian. Bring ones to tip if you choose to tip extra( you don't have to). We bring a small clock because the cabins don't have any. Buy Bonine at your drugstore and take one tab everyday and you should have no problems with sea sickness. Bring hair conditioner because none is provided. You will do a lot of walking on the ship and in Bermuda so skip the high heels. Post its and pens to leave your room steward notes. Highlighters to highlight events you want to do in your freestyle daily. If you want certain times in the specialty restaurants book before your cruise. We pay our gratuities before the cruise so we don't have a bill at the end. Enjoy! Get ready to become addicted. We are on the Dawn the following week.

Thank you for all of your advice! I have tried to do so much research now I feel like I am going to bring so much more (things I would have never in my life expected to bring) LOL

I am very excited/nervous (nervous as I do not know what to expect and am a huge planner lol) I am also hoping that my girls will have enough to do on the cruise itself as they are a little younger

All great suggestions above. Adding:

-power strip for charging more than one thing at a time

-lanyard for the key card you have to carry most of the time

-pop-up hamper for dirty clothes (helps organize your cabin)

-drink tumblers (ship cups are usually small and without lids, it's easier to take a drink back to your room this way)

-earplugs in case you have noisy neighbors or door slammers

-mini medicine chest, I use an empty Altoona tin (anything you need to buy on the ship is extremely expensive)

-small binoculars if you have a balcony cabin

thank you so much!!!

I was planning on bringing just a garbage bag to throw the dirty cloths in (or making a dirty clothes suit case when we get there. We are in a mini suite so I am hoping that there is enough room in the 'closet' for a smaller suit case for all the dirty clothes.

Would you suggest a drink tumbler for everyone in the cabin?

I also read somewhere to bring bubbles for the kids to blow off the balcony...

Definitely don't over pack. You don't need a hamper. You don't need to bring your own cups. Pack beach clothes for a week. Something a little better than shorts and tshirts for dinner. Nothing fancy.

There is only one outlet, so a NON surge protected power stip helps.

I was thinking the outlet - but I don't plan on using my phone ( i am so looking forward to get away from the technology for a bit)

I am a bit of an over packer (hell who am i kidding I am a HUGE over packer- but honestly what is the attire like in the main dining areas (not the specialties - I have a picky child and sort of find it pointless to pay for her to eat there especially not knowing the menus)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. I'm cruising on the Dawn, sailing out of Boston to Bermuda on June 30,2017. This is also my first cruise, and I'll be traveling with my 15-year old daughter. I prefer to travel COO (carry-on only), but a few seasoned travelers have discouraged that. Bathing suits, a few changes of clothes sunscreen and hats. What more does a girl need?

Hello All! I am new to cruising, and have booked a cruise in May of this year on the Dawn out of Boston. I was just wondering somethings that are a must bring. I have been doing some research, but I wanted to hear first hand. I am a bit of a planner and am trying to do enough 'google-ing' for lack of a better word before our trip.I appreciate any and all help! Thank you!!

Lots of good packing tips for you in previous posts.

Your posts do not say where you are from.

If you are flying in, come the day before and enjoy some time the city.

Friday morning traffic in Boston can be insane.

The Black Falcon pier terminal is out "by" the Logan airport but not "next to it".

I offer you two transportation links - as Boston is my home port

Happy Sailing:ship:

http://www.massport.com and http://www.mbta.com

Garry

• 1 month later...

I would definately get a lanyard. I have one that has a clear id slot and a zipper on the back. You just wear every time you leave. After your first cruise you will figure out how hard core you will be.

I will have a lanyard, luggage tags, pop up hamper, hanging shoe rack, magnetic hooks, hanging toiletry bag, refillable bottles.

But for starters, a lanyard, and some grocery bags. Your bathing suit wont be dry and your shoes will be sandy and you can use the grocery bags. Just fold your dirty clothes inside out after you wear them and you can tell what you have worn already. I like the tooth brush holders that stick to the mirror too.

I am determined not to over pack this time. This cruise wont have the fancy dinners so we can check that off the list. You end up wearing your bathing suite and the same cover up every sea day anyways.

I would consider myself a hard core cruiser, my friend is going on her first and asking me for tips, so almost this same situation. I have a list of must haves and one that you can get away without.

I think the advice above to bring Bonine and take it prophylactically once a day is half right. Bring it by all means. But I wouldn't assume you're going to need it, and I certainly wouldn't take it automatically every day. Today's large cruise ships with modern stabilizers often don't feel like they are moving,even in the North Atlantic. And even if you can feel the motion, many folks don't get queasy from it -- I've actually been in ships that went through strong Atlantic storms without needing to take a Bonine, though everyone is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Skip the hamper. There will be giant (paper) laundry bags in the closet that you can use for dirty clothes, or bring a bag from home. Suitcases will fit easily under the bed and you can slide in and out to put clothes "away" as needed.

I don't bother with a lanyard, but I suppose it depends on whether your clothes all have pockets or not.

I bring a plastic glass from home because I love a large glass of ice water when I finally get off my feet, and having to keep refilling a small hotel room glass is annoying. But if you're traveling with carryons or will be bringing drinks back to the room that may not be a priority for you.

Definitely bring a travel sized shampoo -- I've never had a good hair day with the cruise shampoo, even the good stuff you get in the suites (maybe it's the water?)

When planning your activities, keep in mind that you arrive on Sunday and many places will be closed, so that's not the day to head across the island to shop. You will need to have photo id (adults) to reboard the ship (Bermuda policy, not NCL), so plan on taking your license with you ashore.

I'd take seasick meds with me, but not take them unless it looked to be a rocky trip ahead. You can follow the weather ahead of time and ask when you get on board. I've been to Bermuda twice on the Dawn, at the very front of the ship where motion should be strongest, and only ever felt motion once, and that was barely perceptible. In good weather she's very stable (and I've also taken her up to Canada in much rougher weather and she was pretty stable then, too!) Obviously if you don't feel well, take the meds before you get worse, as you don't want seasickness to get ahead of you. Chances are you won't need it, though, and they tend to make you tired.

When you first board they will direct you to the buffet, but the dining room is open, so head there, sit down, and relax until the rooms are ready! :D

We board the 19th

We are on the same cruise. Check out the Roll Call for this cruise here in Cruise Critic http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2371272

Join in for the Meet and Greet

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/norwegian-dawn-may-19-2017/

My husband and I have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise three times on the Dawn. It is a wonderful trip, with a great crew that loves this cruise. We are able to drive to the Falcon Pier in under and hour, if I had to fly I might not bring the hanging shoe organizer (keeps shoes off the floor and easier to find). I also bring magnets and post it notes and a pen. The pen also comes in handy to fill out the form at check in when they ask how your health is, we fill it out before getting to the counter. I bring a small flashlight for trips to the bathroom at night, turning on the bright light would be blinding. Found this great toothbrush holder with a suction cup at the grocery store, two to a package. It keeps your tooth brush high and dry for the week. The hanging toiletry bag that folds up for the suitcase but hangs on the bathroom door for use.

I didn't know about the paper bag. This is my first time with ncl. I haven't seen that before.

I have two little led candles to use as night lights, the little flash light is something I see often as a good to have item.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Brown Eyes! I've cruised the Dawn before. Comments below are all good. I just posted a HUGE post under "Ferry to Boston" because i am taking the Dawn out of NOLA to Boston (tomorrow!) 23 Apr to 5 May when you trip probably starts. Very informal ship. BRING a carrier for your card!!! and a wall electrical 1 to 3 plug adapter so you can put in more than one re-charger! Good suggestion on drink cups with lids. Enjoy the Canadian cruise...it's on my bucket list (after much in the Caribbean, Alaska, Europe and Baltic). Welcome to cruising!

Hi Brown Eyes! Absolutely follow the links to the Roll Call thread provided by JCMass and sign up for the Meet and Greet. It is usually scheduled early to mid midday for the first sea day and you will get to meet a lot of the staff who can help you learn more about what is available on the ship. Also, you'll get to meet the rest of us, many of whom have taken this trip before. My husband and I are on this cruise, our 5th to Bermuda, and second time on the Dawn. We are looking forward to seeing her newly refreshed spaces. FYI - we took the Spirit in May 2009 there and had no problem with weather or rough seas. As I recall we had to go slow leaving as its whale season and until we were beyond their known areas we couldn't speed up. Covered coffee cups and water bottles are a good idea, as are magnets but they can be purchased on board as well and be a souvenir. Hope you have a great time! Ann

We are on the May 26th cruise. Have been on the Dawn 3 times before, last being in 2014. We use to always bring a case of water but I hear that is not allowed anymore. I had went on the NCL site and ordered a case for our cabin, of course it is pricey but worth the convenience. They say the ships water is fine but who knows. We use to bring a 12 pack of soda which we also are not allowed to do anymore. Not too thrilled about that. Even though we have the beverage package, it is still nice to have soda handy in the cabin. Only option for that is to pay the mini bar prices, which of course are not included in the beverage package.

I agree the drinking glasses are a must! I fill it with ice water and use mine everywhere. The glasses on the ship are tiny. (You can pack small stuff inside which conserves space.)

We bring insulated water bottles too for going ashore.

Power strip a must... very few plugs.

A nightlight could be good for maneuvering at night. (We have a small child, so it's a must.)

I agree the garbage bag is good for laundry.

A reusable grocery bag is good for going ashore... don't have to worry if it gets dirty or ruined.

Water shoes... We never travel without them, but many don't like them.

Lots of bathing suits if you plan on beach/pool going... things don't dry too well on the ship

We are on the May 26th cruise. Have been on the Dawn 3 times before, last being in 2014. We use to always bring a case of water but I hear that is not allowed anymore. I had went on the NCL site and ordered a case for our cabin, of course it is pricey but worth the convenience. They say the ships water is fine but who knows. We use to bring a 12 pack of soda which we also are not allowed to do anymore. Not too thrilled about that. Even though we have the beverage package, it is still nice to have soda handy in the cabin. Only option for that is to pay the mini bar prices, which of course are not included in the beverage package.

Can't bring water or soda any more