Deimos

Has anyone done a transatlantic voyage from UK to USA using CGA CGM?

I've been pondering the options of transatlantic travel by sea, the only real option seemed to be the QM2

But I've also been trying to find out more information on going by cargo ship.

I see CGA CGM do a route called the Liberty bridge - https://www.cma-cgm.com/products-services/line-services/flyer/LIB1

Two ships seem to do the crossing, the Amber and the Coral, but information on the CGA website is sparse at best.

Has anyone had any experience of going on these boats?

I've been pondering the options of transatlantic travel by sea, the only real option seemed to be the QM2

I see CGA CGM do a route called the Liberty bridge - https://www.cma-cgm.com/products-services/line-services/flyer/LIB1

Two ships seem to do the crossing, the Amber and the Coral, but information on the CGA website is sparse at best.

Particularly if you are going to go by container ship, don't call them "boats" or you will face some scorn from the crew.

If you search down a few threads, "cruising cockroach" has done ships from the same line, and they are all basically the same. He has some good insight into freighter cruising. Realize that unless you are pretty self-sufficient in entertaining yourself for several days, this isn't for you. Entertainment will be limited to TV and videos, numbers of passengers is limited, and generally you don't have the freedom to roam the entire ship.

I would go to freightercruises.com, which is the Maris travel agency, and specializes in freighter travel, and their pages show a little more about the CGM ships, and if you navigate far enough around their pages, they have a Q&A about freighter travel.

The Coral and Amber appear to be relatively tiny ships (what I sailed on was almost 3x as large in terms of container capacity). Be prepared to experience a lot of roll if seas are rough as the ships don't use stabilisers. Looks like cost is €1450 for a single cabin (3 such on the ships, and 1 double cabin) for the 10 nts from Le Havre, not sure if they'll give you a break from Southampton. Good news for you, perhaps, is that both are British officered.

To sail to (or via) the U.S.A., you'll need a real U.S. visa. ESTA/I-94W not applicable.

As said, no entertainment. Someone had taken the DVD player on the ship we were on (CMA CGM Libra) and there was only 1 movie available.

If you can read French, go to mer-et-voyages.info voyage ref. is 5822 which is where I got the information. There are also a couple of reviews (in French of course).

Visa requirements are assuming you're not a U.S. or Canadian citizen and can otherwise visit the U.S. with ESTA or VWP. A lot of European and other I-94W/ESTA eligible pax sail from the U.S. as a result.

The ships can only take 5 pax. The solo cabins are small, only 13-16 m^2 while the double is 23 m^2. The trip reports indicate the officers are Romanian for one of the ships (Amber) though wine was served. The Romanians on my ship only served wine begrudgingly (4 bottles over 2+ weeks). If you drink, I'd highly recommend avoiding Eastern European and German-officered ships.

Thanks Cockroach, I didn't realize I'd need a visa.But I don't need a visa for cruise ship travel? Seems strange.

That's the way it is. I guess the cruisecos got some sort of exemption for cruise pax, perhaps as a tourist vessel or some sort. An annoying and expensive process. If you want to try it, head back from the U.S. though it its 12 days Savannah to Antwerp.

Feel free to ask any questions or read my trip report (link in previous threads)

Hi, I've never been on a cargo ship, but have crossed the Atlantic many times by cruise ship. Just Google "transAtlantic cruises" for other options. Good luck. Nicole

Posted (edited)

I did a transpacific this year on CMA CGM (the Rhone). It was very nice. I'd offer my most critical observations as:

1. Take your own snacks. Seriously, bring a grocery bag full of stuff if you want it. I had a small refrigerator in my cabin. I don't know if they all do or not.

2. I was the only passenger on my ship, so you have to be very able to entertain yourself. The captain had come from another line that ran transatlantic and he said that there are more passengers on those routes.

3. My cabin was very nice. Since I was the only passenger I got the largest cabin, and it was probably 500 square feet or so with a bed, desk, and sitting area with couch. I took a cruise ship back home and the freighter cabin was more comfortable.

4. My ship actually had a small internet connection (which I discovered a week into the trip). It was very expensive, so I just used it to send a text once per day to my wife. But it was there.

5. There's little or no outside space. You'll spend most of your time in your cabin, most likely.

6. I thought the food was very good. My crew was Romanian and Sri Lankan for the most part, so the food tended to favor those types of recipes.

I'd recommend it. You don't have the amenities of a cruise ship, but you have other advantages. It was cool to be the only passenger on a 1,000 foot ship.

Also, I made my reservations through this company: http://www.cruisepeople.co.uk/details.htm. They were on the ball while the Maris company was non-responsive to my initial inquiry.

Edited by pplwatcher